Wear the black hat one time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We hear all manner of criticism about Bradford on the internet nowadays. Those criticisms range from "no fire" to "total bust" to "could use some work." I don't think it's necessary to rehash all of the things that have slowed his development so much.

But instead ...

If you had to offer your own criticisms about Bradford - regardless of why - what would those be?

Correctable? Fatal flaw?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He does lock onto receivers at times. I'd like to see him control the coverage a little more with his eyes. This has been something he's been improving at though. When he starts getting sacked he starts doing it again though. Which is completely understandable. Another reason why we say these sacks are fucking his mechanics.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
He does lock onto receivers at times. I'd like to see him control the coverage a little more with his eyes. This has been something he's been improving at though. When he starts getting sacked he starts doing it again though. Which is completely understandable. Another reason why we say these sacks are fucking his mechanics.
Let me ask, since you brought it up and I hear it a lot.

What makes you think he's locking on? Or. Is that an uncommon thing for most QBs?

If a QB gets the matchup he likes, is it uncommon for most QBs to wait a couple/three seconds for the guy to break on his route or get a little separation? I've heard some analysts say that "locking on" can be something entirely different than it looks. I don't know enough about that, and I haven't seen the all 22 tape (can't wait for that and I bought it) to show the rest of the field when Bradford does indeed bear down on one receiver. I'd like to see if there's actually anyone else running free.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
I'm not a QB coach and I've never played the position so my opinion isn't of much value. What I seem to notice is he isn't getting rid of the ball fast enough. This could be due to WRs not getting open. I just feel he could maybe get rid of the ball. Throw it away, or get it out to a WR.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he needs to be a little more aware of his surroundings. Move laterally in the pocket and stuff like that. I too have noticed he holds the ball a little too long sometimes, and he admits that too. To that end, I think all of this is correctable. I'm not so sure how quickly he can begin to trust in his protection though. Getting pummeled like he did last year could have a lasting effect.

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm a big Bradford guy but that doesn't mean there aren't things he needs to improve IMO as well as this being a key year overall.

1) On deep throws keep the frickin ball in the field instead of 5 yards out of bounds if you have one-on-one coverage. IF the Safety is coming over the top to help and the play is not there THEN throw it away. It drives me nuts when you don't let your WR have a chance or even get a cheap PI call

2) Improve pocket movement. The more I watch Bradford the more I am convinced that he is a better QB physically and mentally when on the move. At this point he is better when rolling out; when he is in the pocket he does a poor job of moving within the pocket to buy time. Guys much less athletic than him (Marino, Warner, Fouts, etc) were excellent at making subtle movements up or to the side to buy that extra second. Bradford doesn't seem to have that ability yet.

3) I have the feeling it was drummed into his head not to turn the ball over (and I get/got that) but now is the time to force a few in there and see what happens.

4) Run! I can't count the number of times where there is coverage and/or protection is breaking down where he could run (and slide) for some postive yardage and in some instances serious yardage.

5) Show you can put the team on your back for a game. Win a game we had no business winning because of the QB play. Related to that; lead a comeback win.

There are more but this is a good start for me. I really want to see him take a serious step forward this season.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:
Let me ask, since you brought it up and I hear it a lot.

What makes you think he's locking on? Or. Is that an uncommon thing for most QBs?

If a QB gets the matchup he likes, is it uncommon for most QBs to wait a couple/three seconds for the guy to break on his route or get a little separation? I've heard some analysts say that "locking on" can be something entirely different than it looks. I don't know enough about that, and I haven't seen the all 22 tape (can't wait for that and I bought it) to show the rest of the field when Bradford does indeed bear down on one receiver. I'd like to see if there's actually anyone else running free.

I think the all 22 is going to be awesome. It's going to be a great tool for us fans to actually see wtf IS REALLY going on.

To answer your question, it depends on the play. If he stares at someone the whole time he's in the pocket, throws to him, and it turns out (we see) the person is blanketed or doubled is a simple way to explain what I'm taking about. It's trickier with this offense though, because you can tell there are a lot of designed "short pass" plays to get the ball out of his hands quick.

Take the pass to Kendricks for example (2nd play of the first drive last game.) All the receivers clear out and Kendricks has his one on one. Sam locks onto him from the first second, throws, and it's incomplete. It's not easy to see at first, but Kendricks slips. Idk wtf the deal was with players footing in that game btw. I'm happy no one got hurt. Anywho... haha. So yeah, Kendricks slips or else it would've been a completion imo. I have no problem with that as you're saying. HOWEVER :tooth: , Say Kendricks was covered, slipped early, anything, it looked to me like Sam had someone open (waving his hand) going down field. Here's the problem though. From the camera angle we don't truely know that guy was open.

Yes, I know. Kind of a poor example, but considering the last game is the only thing fresh on my mind I'm just trying to think of something to give you a clue as to what I'm talking about.

There's also looking off safetys and other deep cover on long balls. Again, I think he's done a decent job with that, but it really is hard to tell without the all 22, and that's not exactly what I'm talking about. It's kind of more on the page as to him going through his progressions, even when a designed "quick hit" play fails.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Since we're on topic here, I might as well post this gem I read in the SI article I posted today.

According to the website Football Outsiders, the former Heisman winner was on pace to be sacked or hit 122 times last season before an ankle injury on one of those sacks sidelined him for six games. (Seattle’s Tarvaris Jackson led the league with 102 knockdowns.)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17276167/SI%20 ... Report.pdf

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :nono:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Sam's a young, very smart, talented individual. Everyone on this site has seen his potential because we're not blind with I <3 Suh shutters or fucking dense. He just has a lack of talent around him. The offense can still be productive, it just needs to be something that's manageable with the players surrounding him. Shit Brady is having trouble running that offense this year!

He's still raw in some areas, I won't lie, but there's only one way to improve that. Give him a manageable offense for this team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He hasn't had enough time in one system for me to get a solid feel for him yet. He didn't even have a freaking QB coach in his sophomore year in a brand new system for shits shake.

I believe he's going through the normal growing pains of an NFL QB who has been starting since he was a rookie... add to that, a rookie who is being required to learn a new system each year.

I have to see what happens in the first few regular season games before I can give an answer to what I think he truly needs to improve on. It's way too early to be saying things like "Bradford is a Bust". I saw a thread in another forum stating just that. To that I said.......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5i0jxIWYw[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good fair points so far. Things that can be correctable it seems.

A lot has been made about his 'demeanor' or his 'lack of fire', and that may not ever happen. Some QBs just don't subscribe to the theory that you have to get pissed off to get back on track. It's kinda like what Fisher said in that interview with KSDK. He was asked if he ever gets up in a player's face, and his response was, "Well, let me ask you this. Do you think they make mistakes on purpose?" So there's different ways of communicating your concerns, and I think Bradford does it that way. Maybe. I dunno. I just don't care if a QB stomps off the field cursing at everyone. It doesn't accomplish anything, IMO. If you see him disappointed, it's probably warranted, and that's a display of sorts.

Anyway, I agree with the movement in the pocket, holding the ball too long sometimes, possibly locking on to one receiver and definitely throwing the ball in-bounds on deep patterns. Username raised a point that maybe Bradford was charged with not turning the ball over in recent years, and I think that might be the case. And even if it wasn't communicated to him, I honestly think he took it upon himself to be extra careful. Maybe if he sheds that concern, he'll start throwing contestable balls.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Idk if that was me, but I do agree with that assessment. However, me personally? I want him to keep that concern. Especially with the way this team is designed. Go ahead and throw some of the really deep balls up for grabs on 3rd dn, because most of the time those are as good as punts. If the game is still tight though, play tight. If this defense ever gets it's shit together it could be a turnover machine. When you win the turnover battle, or don't turn the ball over in general, good things happen. If Sam can get back to his 169 completions with no ints (most for a rookie qb/3rd in Rams history I might add) then we could see some wins for games we shouldn't have had. Plus the running game is going to be strong this year. You can feel it. SJ looks strong, and the run blocking actually looks pretty damn good. Shotty is creative in the run game too. His track record shows. We all know what the pass blocking can look like too. I personally have no problem with being slightly conservative.

In all reality I really have no clue how or what this offense or this team is capable of for that matter. Fisher is already saying we really shouldn't use tomorrow as a gauge for what to expect in the regular season. I would like to think attacking though based on Shottys history. A strong run game, strong PA game, with a decent amount of trick plays mixed in actually. As long as these coaches play to our strengths, I have no problem. No more 7 step 5 wide plays on 1st down New England bullshit though. We're obviously not built for it, offseason or not.

had

Rookie
I don't care about Bradford being fiery. I also don't think there's a problem locking onto one receiver, although there may be. I don't know.

The thing that I think I'm seeing with Bradford is that once he's been lit up, he's anticipating getting lit up again, instead of playing football.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
had said:
I don't care about Bradford being fiery. I also don't think there's a problem locking onto one receiver, although there may be. I don't know.

The thing that I think I'm seeing with Bradford is that once he's been lit up, he's anticipating getting lit up again, instead of playing football.

THIS. Who fuckin cares if he isn't screamin? It's a stupid reason to criticize him. Being a leader doesn't mean scream.

2. No one (except those actually at the game) can see how and what he's doing on the sidelines, and damn sure no one knows what he's thinking. Camera catches him at one posistion and all of a sudden he's a player that doesn't care.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think Bradford is just fine and look forward to watch him play during my golden years.
And I know he's in his 3rd system in 3 years and his WR and line sucks blah, blah blah. So here goes.

He knows the target windows are much smaller in the NFL that college but he has to trust his self that he CAN put the ball in that window. Separation may only be a arms length but other less accurate QB's can get the ball In there so he can too. Just has to trust his skills.

He needs to free lance more. Just because a play is designed to go to a certain side of the field he needs to feel free to fling it somewhere else. To me this where he gets his locking on rap. While not locking on he still puts less value on one side of the field or a particular WR. Just screw it and fling it where he wants. This may come from his first year when he was asked to just manage the game and keep the mistakes down to a min.. He should have been allowed to just go out there and find out what he can do for a few games.

He has to stop being Drew Bledsoe in the pocket or he will die. Step up, step back, step to the side but just step somewhere. Geez. Roll out on his own or how about just taking off and run it up the field. Whats the worse thing that can happen he slides or gets tackled? That's better than stand there and get pole axed time and time again.

He has the skills and brains to be much more than a dink and dunk game manger.The coaches need to trust him and he needs to trust himself that he can be elite.

I don't think this has anything to do with a lack of self confidence but more with adjustments to his game skills and comfort level.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
A lot has been made about his 'demeanor' or his 'lack of fire', and that may not ever happen.

I always hate when people make that argument, it usually shows who hasn't really ever been in a leadership position. With Sam he has a desire to win, and a fire for perfection. Just because he doesn't scream doesn't mean he doesn't care and can't lead. That's the exact same argument I had to listen to when Kings fans were calling to trade Brown or strip him of his captaincy. Well those fans now claim they were always behind him after he led this team to a Stanley Cup with leads in goals, assists, points and +/-... Just like those saying it about Bradford will change their tune...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yamahopper said:
I think Bradford is just fine and look forward to watch him play during my golden years.
And I know he's in his 3rd system in 3 years and his WR and line sucks blah, blah blah. So here goes.

He knows the target windows are much smaller in the NFL that college but he has to trust his self that he CAN put the ball in that window. Separation may only be a arms length but other less accurate QB's can get the ball In there so he can too. Just has to trust his skills.

He needs to free lance more. Just because a play is designed to go to a certain side of the field he needs to feel free to fling it somewhere else. To me this where he gets his locking on rap. While not locking on he still puts less value on one side of the field or a particular WR. Just screw it and fling it where he wants. This may come from his first year when he was asked to just manage the game and keep the mistakes down to a min.. He should have been allowed to just go out there and find out what he can do for a few games.

He has to stop being Drew Bledsoe in the pocket or he will die. Step up, step back, step to the side but just step somewhere. Geez. Roll out on his own or how about just taking off and run it up the field. Whats the worse thing that can happen he slides or gets tackled? That's better than stand there and get pole axed time and time again.

He has the skills and brains to be much more than a dink and dunk game manger.The coaches need to trust him and he needs to trust himself that he can be elite.

I don't think this has anything to do with a lack of self confidence but more with adjustments to his game skills and comfort level.
I agree with pretty much everything here.

My two biggest complaints are his inability to side step/step up in the pocket to avoid a sack and his lack of confidence on long throws. Someone else mentioned how he is always trying to not throw an interception, and I understand that. But at some point we gotta let the guy be a gun slinger and throw the ball downfield. At OK he was able to connect on long passes all of the time. Granted he had an O-line that protected better and he had receivers who were getting open, but he was not afraid to throw the ball downfield.

As far as being "firey", I'm not that concerned about it. Last season when receivers were dropping passes or when O-line was whiffing on guys there were times I wish he would have had a talk with them, not necessarily yelling at them, but to let them know that it can't happen again. The thing is, he might have been doing that, I don't really know.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
All of my "concerns" have been covered, but here goes.

1. Pocket Awareness. Stop growing roots back there and give yourself a chance young man.

2. The Deep Ball. It's ugly. Get better at it. And before anyone says he needs Clayton or DX, just stop. He is an NFL QB in his third year. There is no excuse for throwing balls 5 yds long, short or out of bounds as often as he does.

3. Progressions. I hear some say that Sam goes through his progressions well. I see Sam miss WIDE OPEN receivers pretty regularly....and that is on TV. Sure, all QBs miss an open WR from time to time, but I have seen it quite a bit with Sam. Can't wait to have the coaches tape available.

4. Demeanor. Everyone on here says you are an idiot if you care about this. Well, I am the village idiot, so I will comment on it. I could care less if he throws his helmet and spits on people on the sidelines. That is not what I am looking for. I just HATE the slumped shoulder, pouty walk to the sidelines that I see from him when things aren't going his way. Believe it or not, that DOES affect your teammates!! If they see their "leader" walking off the field like someone kicked his puppy, they WILL lose confidence and respect for him. You can not convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying.

5. Fumblerooskies. If you are going to stand like a statue in the pocket and take shots, at least have the presence of mind to TUCK the ball when the pocket has collapsed on you. Sure, his INT ratio is low, but a fumble is WORSE than an INT in my opinion. Cut it out.

I am sure I will be lambasted on here because Sam is a saint, and has all the cards stacked against him, and is in his 3rd system....blah blah blah. As I have always said, I like Sam and think he has most if not all of the tools to succeed at this level. This will be a huge year for him, one way or another. Not saying it is make or break, but it absolutely HAS to be a season where we see improvement in most of these areas. If you aren't progressing at this stage of your career, you may find yourself holding a clipboard. This league moves to fast......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
I am sure I will be lambasted on here because Sam is a saint, and has all the cards stacked against him, and is in his 3rd system....blah blah blah. As I have always said, I like Sam and think he has most if not all of the tools to succeed at this level. This will be a huge year for him, one way or another. Not saying it is make or break, but it absolutely HAS to be a season where we see improvement in most of these areas. If you aren't progressing at this stage of your career, you may find yourself holding a clipboard. This league moves to fast......
"lambasted"? Is that some sort of pun? :sly:

Nah, you're not gonna get any grief for what you said. I asked you to wear the black hat, and you wore the hell out of that bitch. For what it's worth though, he's not a Saint around here. He's just someone who has the potential to be very good, and there are things that really have been stacked against him so far. You can say "blah blah blah" and all, but that won't erase the things you've heard all too often. Not just from fans, but from analysts all over the place. Bucky Brooks, Greg Cosell, Jaworski, etc. Truth is, he's got a little over a year and a half of playing time under some pretty bad conditions. For all the complaining fans do about the receivers around the web, it's weird that they can't tie the two together. Meaning, if the receivers are so bad, how is the QB going to make them any better? He had a few good ones, but where are they now? Sorry, but I can't refrain from pointing out how much better he is with receivers who are at least above average.

I also think a lot of the expectations people have for him are directly tied to his salary and draft status. Not saying that's the case with you, but I do see that a lot. As if it's coming out of their pockets or something. He didn't get picked that high because he can't play QB. That said, it is a very difficult transition into the NFL, and not every QB picked high makes it. It's just kind of reassuring that Fisher and Snead see the untapped potential and are literally mortgaging their immediate futures on that belief.

Anyway, I don't want to take away from anything you said. You feel that way, and it's cool. I think whatever concerns any of us have, we hope they get washed away real soon. I think this staff has the potential to steer him in the right direction. Provided they can figure out what the hell they're doing with the offensive line. Sheeez.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
My one real gripe with Bradford is, IMO, he is a bit too cerebral. He doesnt always exhibit instinctual behavior and the ability to improvise. He runs the play as it is drawn.

I dont worry about him locking on to one receiver. Given the cast of receivers he has had the pleasure of working with, locking on isnt a egregious mistake. The receivers he has had consistently lack the ability to gain separation. Locking onto a matchup he knows will produce a open receiver isnt bad. If he was locking onto guys and then forcing the ball to them, even though coverage is good, that is bad.

I dont worry about his long ball. When he has had guys that can get open deep, he'll take his shots. A healthy DX is a example of that. Givens will provide that this year.

Im not worried about his demeanor. Id rather have a guy lead by example than a screamer. When guys mess up they know and will be made an example of by the coaches. They dont need another guy out there screaming at them.