Wear a different hat....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X wanting to go Martzian:
Then I'm gonna wear my Schotty hat and spread out the offense.
Four wide, so you can't rush more than four, five tops.
Then you have nobody to block and the QB eventually gets killed. I think we've lived this story before. I'd feel pretty good about going against Clemens.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This is why I signed on to this forum! People here know football! Love it! Getting hopped up for the game on adrenaline! Feels good to this 62 year old!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
X wanting to go Martzian:
Then I'm gonna wear my Schotty hat and spread out the offense.
Four wide, so you can't rush more than four, five tops.
Then you have nobody to block and the QB eventually gets killed. I think we've lived this story before. I'd feel pretty good about going against Clemens.
On the contrary. Leave the RB in to block or chip the extra defender and hit the hot read immediately. When Martz (and McDaniels) did that, it worked well as long as the ball came out quickly. If our guys can't block mano a mano and Bradford can't isolate the one-on-one matchup quickly enough, then they'll have to go to a form of max protect, but that's less effective against a 3-4 defense with their corners. You WANT to spread them out and make them go to nickel or dime.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If I'm Bruce Arians I'm gonna sling it.

That's what he does...he loves to pass. Jackrabbit and Cortland better be ready. So do the 2 rookie safeties...yeesh.

Rashard Mendenhall is OK in his system (although I can't remember if he's healthy or not). I would think their running game wouldn't be much of a factor .

And if I'm Tim Walton...coverage. Early on....once the Rams get a good lead...BRING THE FUCKIN PAIN!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
I would assume the Cards will be throwing the ball, this stands to be the strength of their offense. I am not so worried about Fitz, he can be taken out of games with double coverage, esp with our good CBs. But, I worry about Floyd and their other secondary receivers. They have a QB that can actually find those guys now. If the passrush starts getting there then some draws, screens and misdirection would be in order. It will really be interesting to see how a D with so many young guys in key postions handles it. I am concerned with big plays not long drives. The athletic advantage the Rams have up front will show itself certainly, but, that can be offset with a S being out of position or a CB biting on a double move (Jenkins)....could be one of those games where the Rams own every stat catagory but the game comes down to the last minute.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X trying the Sicilian Offense:
On the contrary. Leave the RB in to block or chip the extra defender and hit the hot read immediately. When Martz (and McDaniels) did that, it worked well as long as the ball came out quickly. If our guys can't block mano a mano and Bradford can't isolate the one-on-one matchup quickly enough, then they'll have to go to a form of max protect, but that's less effective against a 3-4 defense with their corners. You WANT to spread them out and make them go to nickel or dime.

I can see that working but it requires mostly mistake free play in 10-13 play drives to work. As I think back to the Shurmur reign (and thank you for that :doink: ), short quick timing paases did enable Sam to make some plays despite our less than stellar O-line but how many points did we average? I doubt Schotty would be much better even with the improvements we've made on the O-line and at WR. I think our group of young inexperienced WRs is subject to too many drops at crucial times (not to mention the penalties) and when we make a mistake it's suddenly 2nd or 3rd and long and that often results in getting sacked if they're bringing the house.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
X trying the Sicilian Offense:

I can see that working but it requires mostly mistake free play in 10-13 play drives to work. As I think back to the Shurmur reign (and thank you for that :doink: ), short quick timing paases did enable Sam to make some plays despite our less than stellar O-line but how many points did we average? I doubt Schotty would be much better even with the improvements we've made on the O-line and at WR. I think our group of young inexperienced WRs is subject to too many drops at crucial times (not to mention the penalties) and when we make a mistake it's suddenly 2nd or 3rd and long and that often results in getting sacked if they're bringing the house.
I said nothing about Shurmur. You're now free to bite your tongue.

Hard.

Several times.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X out for blood:
I said nothing about Shurmur. You're now free to bite your tongue.

Hard.

Several times.

Yeah, nobody would do that. When you talked about getting the ball out quickly it immediately made me think of Shurmer. Whatever scheme either Martz or McD used it always lead to our QB getting killed. That pretty much makes me think you'd have to go to your plan B of max protect. That means no Tavon, so I'm pretty happy about that.

But on the other hand, I don't think (hope) they can stop us whatever they do. We can only stop ourselves via mistakes and/or lack of execution.

BTW, I bit my tongue really lightly three times just to kiss up. :bn: