Wear a different hat....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So, pretend you're Bruce Arians.

(let me know when you're done dry-heaving)....

How would you attack this Rams defense, and what would you do to stop the Rams' offense?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Blitz on every play. Just like the Bears did in 85.
Then I'm gonna wear my Schotty hat and spread out the offense.
Four wide, so you can't rush more than four, five tops.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd run at Quinn, trying to bury him, or hook him.

I'd counter with crossing tight ends (Housler) and receivers, especially Fitzgerald, and then also flood the flat with a RB. That should do a lot to confuse Ogletree, and McDonald. I'd run a hitch and go to Jenkins side, right after completing a short pass in front of him.

Defensively, I'd do my best to match up with Cook, and Austin, but be careful not to give up the deep go to Givens...easier said than done. Keep mixing up the blitz packages, by bringing a safety or corner, and dropping a linebacker, or lineman into the zone. Then bring an outside linebacker, and press the WR's.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:

How would you attack this Rams defense, and what would you do to stop the Rams' offense?
I'd have someone posted at the circuit breaker box to turn the lights out if things started getting out of hand.
Worked for the farty ninnys ,sorta.

wrstdude

Rookie
Defensively-Prove that our run game is improved. I wouldn't buy the new RBs and line are better...yet.

Offensively-I'm attacking Jenkins w/ Fitz and Palmer.

Pho Kadat

Rookie
All right. I'll give this a try.

On offense, I think I'd focus on plays that would test and potentially expose Ogletree. I'd run it right to his gap assignments and call crossing patterns in his zone to confuse him. If possible, I'd also try to catch the ends being overaggressive with cut-backs and screen. If the running game can be established, wait for the young safties to start creeping up and drop a PA pass over the top.

The defensive game-plan would most likely be "get to Bradford." If I'm Arians, I'm probably not too focused on the running game, even if Fisher has traditionally been a balanced to conservative play caller. If Tavon's out there, I jam him until he beats the press. At this point, I consider Cook to be the greatest offensive threat, and I don't let him beat me. If someone else steps up, so be it, but I'll call coverage schemes that effectively take Cook out of the game.

I don't know if that Arians-specific, but at the start of the season, that would be my game plan.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah when on offense ,I'd go after the rookie O-tree
On Defense double a gap blitz force our small backs to pass protect make Sam have to throw on the run and hope Petersen could get a pick or two

V3

Hall of Fame
On offense, I'm attacking the run D as a whole, Jenkins, Ogletree, Witherspoon, and McDonald. Perhaps running specifically at Quinn, also.

On defense, I'm definitely mixing up the blitzing a lot. It's a new line and they haven't gelled yet. I'd definitely have something like delayed blitzes to attack the weak RB pass protection. The three weapons I'm worried about are 1.) Cook, 2.) Givens, 3.) Austin, in that order. I'm really not concerned about the running game or the other WR's.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I actually have a lot of respect for Arians. That said Palmer may be slightly underrated but he isn't Roethlisberger or Luck. Nor will he preform as such behind that line. My ultimate goal would be preparing some gameplan around protecting the qb with a shit line. They're several approaches he could take, but unfortunately CL91, Quinn, and the rest of the dog are hungry and they're gonna eat.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I would also stock up on diapers for my punter assuming they'll be wearing white pants.

0ap2000000233739_video_cp.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Arians says he wants to run the ball, but I would be pretty anxious (if I was him) to see if our safeties and corners are up to the task of covering Fitzgerald. And I'd test that theory early & often.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Arians says he wants to run the ball, but I would be pretty anxious (if I was him) to see if our safeties and corners are up to the task of covering Fitzgerald. And I'd test that theory early & often.

We made Fitzgerald our bitch last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
X said:

We made Fitzgerald our bitch last year.
Yeah, with Uncle Rico throwing the ball.
I think Palmer forgot more than those 3 guys have learned to date.

Of course all we gotta do is blast through that magnificent O-line of theirs.

People_Paper_Chain_300x255_jpeg.sflb.ashx

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:

-Throw some early misdirection plays at our ends and LB's.
-Early screens to the RB's.
-Try to establish a hold-the-ball mentality with short to medium patterns and designed dump offs to the RB's.
-Sucker our safeties into the box early and hit them later in the game over the top.

jap

Legend
X said:

I would send a hot stripper with AIDS around to the defensive team meetings letting the boys know that anyone and everyone will be served.

Same plan for the offense.

fearsomefour

Legend
"Yeah, with Uncle Rico throwing the ball."

Ha, nice reference.

I do think we will see misdirection with such young guys on D.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Go after Saffold every play, wear him out. As much time as he missed he can't be in game shape yet.
Press coverage on the Rams WR's. No one gets off the line untouched. Disrupt the timing.
Try to strip the ball on every play.
Blitz up the middle, split the gaps and go after Williams
Miss direction.
On O
Don't try to run inside on Brockers and Langford, run off tackle at Long and Quinn. Make the DT's pursue.
Stay away from Jenkins but go after Finn at every opportunity with Fitz.
Make McDonald and AO have to make a choice on what to do at every chance. Same with Tru and Pointer.
The Rams will play a lot over cover 2 to stop the deep stuff so the under stuff will be open all game.

The only way the Rams can lose this game is to beat themselves. Zona can't run on the Rams and when they drop back to pass the rush will kill Palmer. Rams should get 6 sacks at least.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Defensive-put Peterson on Givens. Make sure that a LB is always on Cook with safety help over the top. Keep a nickle linebacker/DB low to cover the slots to take away Austin. Probably would plan on holding Austin a lot and hope it doesn't get called. On passing plays make the rest of the Rams offense beat them (Pettis/Quick) until they can show that they can do it consistently

Offense-I would run at Quinn/Langford, until they show they can play the run. Use a lot of double routes on Jenkins, who seems to bite on them. Limit pass plays due to very poor o-line and statue QB. Design end arounds/double reverses/misdirection to fool Ogletree. Once run is established do play action as much as possible to buy time