We are Going to Run the Ball, so Whatcha Gonna Do?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bruce2980

Starter
This Oline has the potential with the starters and the depth of it, to be the best Oline for the Rams in more than a decade. Can I say they will beat every Defensive Line every week? No. But I can say that the longer Gurley runs, the more worn out even the best Dlines become..All Gurley needs is a crease in the Dline, and he's gone.....We have a game manager QB that will make some pay when they stack the Box, and Gurley will make them pay by catching passes too. I think we have been focusing the on QB drama too much, because we can be a winning team with Case, imo.
I agree we can be a winning team with Case, but that is not why Goff was drafted. We can be a winning team with Goff as well, even better once he gets "more comfortable." Keenum and Goff are not going to win the games this year. It's Gurley, the D, and STs that will win the games. All they need is consistent game play which means ball droppers need to be gone, and especially off the field during third downs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you run the ball WELL everything works better. The passing game is easier. Third down conversions go up. OL fires off and puts the DL on their asses. Defense gets good rest. Etc, etc, etc. There's a reason why looking at deep playoff and super bowl winners you will see a lot of teams that run the ball well, or at the least very efficiently.

I'm all for it. Difference this year is Fish finally has the line and back (not to mention RB depth) to do it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay, when was the last time the Rams OL came out of TC with no signifigant injuries?For the first time is several years, I firmly believe the Rams OL will be one of the strongest units on the team.

With Saffold he has been either unhealthy going into pre season or hurt in pre season or involved in rehabbing during pre season for five seasons. Same could be said for the 2 seasons Jake Long & Barrett Jones were here & the 3 season that Scott Wells was here. Then you would have add the overall weakness of the OL to the above & before you know it your whole starting OL is made up of WWC's

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
anigif_enhanced-2414-1393034298-7-2.gif

WHATCHA GONNA DO BROTHER!? WHEN THE RAMS RUNNING GAME RUNS WILD ON YOUUUUU

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
As long as the QB, WRs, and O-line don't botch plays that lead to consistent 3 and outs. We should be fine. We may have been 7-9 last season but that's with an elite defense and halfback and THE WORST QB to ever start the game. Imagine a 20th ranked QB under center, we probably wouldn't have drafted Goff as we'd be sitting with a winning record.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This is my FAVORITE thread. Thanks, Loyal.

From the DAY Kroenke hired Fisher, I KNEW the plan was to develop from the inside/out with tough/fierce/nasty players NOBODY wants to face. The '85 Bears were such a team. So were the '99 Titans. Fish built this team to physically compete w the Niners/Hawks/Cards. He has managed to win in his division (though the team absolutely SUCKED outside the division).

Snisher gambled on vet OLinemen as FA while he built the defense, ST, and RBs, and counted on Bradford to make the O competent while players like DX, Amendola, Quick, Givens, Austin, Cook, and Britt were supposed to provide explosiveness. The OLine continued to break down and the skill players failed to produce.

This year, the ORG went ALL IN for Goff, though we should have ALL known a spread QB would take time. I wanted Wentz. But Snisher chose Goff for his fearlessness in the pocket, footwork, accuracy, arm strength to make the tough throws that expand an offense, his ability to survive adversity, and his drive to succeed. I thought Wentz was more intelligent, powerful, and system compatible. As you can see...I'm still trying my best to support Snisher's evaluation though I still disagree. I'm now a Goff fan who respects but dislikes all things Eagles. Sometimes maturity means having the ability to accept what you cannot change.

The DRIVING force of the 2016 team is athletic power with a F'ing nasty @ss attitude on the perimeter. That's why Fish kept guys like Joyner and Quick. He wants men that will bloody the field. Even Vermeil wanted to toughen the '99 Rams up, but gave into the fear we would lose Martz to another team if he didn't become a HC so he "retired" to do so. Trust me fellas, Vermeil wanted something that Shaw/Frontiere didn't. He wanted what he always did and the Rams wanted the glitz of a finesse offense that garnered attention.

Jeff Fisher has this team finally molded to his personality. We ALL wanted it to come quicker but injuries to the OLine and QB derailed his plan. We now have depth in the OLine (ten kept), RB, TE, DL, and CB positions. The LBs have been devalued to handle a passing league. The Safeties need another stud. They guessed poorly on the WRs. If I can help anyone recall the Chiefs of 2001-2006, their best WR was our castoff Eddie Kennison. They led the NFL in offense at times with Gonzales/Holmes/Johnson/Green and a DOMINANT OLine. That's who we are w a better defense.

I may prefer Wentz. I may be pizzed that we didn't draft Alshon, D Decastro, or Wagner. But I do understand why they went the direction they did. This may be an unpredictable/uneven year. But as an old-timer...I see how this team is built for sustainable success. Continuity is key. We have an incredibly young roster but with good veteran depth. That, my friends, is an incredible feat in this microwave generation of fans and teams.

Don't be surprised if we win 9 this year and 12 or more for the next 8 years because THATS how this team is built. I, for one, extend a golf clap

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not if they cant pass the ball[/QUOTE]

The point of this thread is that I am saying that is less true now than ever. We are telling the NFL "We are going to run the ball and crush your spirit, and there's nothing you can do about it!"

JMO

lockdnram21

Legend
The point of this thread is that I am saying that is less true now than ever. We are telling the NFL "We are going to run the ball and crush your spirit, and there's nothing you can do about it!"

JMO
That's going to be some boring football

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's going to be some boring football

Not when Gurley is consistently breaking off long runs. Not when our defense makes splash plays. And our pass-catchers have to be included at some point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is my FAVORITE thread. Thanks, Loyal.

From the DAY Kroenke hired Fisher, I KNEW the plan was to develop from the inside/out with tough/fierce/nasty players NOBODY wants to face. The '85 Bears were such a team. So were the '99 Titans. Fish built this team to physically compete w the Niners/Hawks/Cards. He has managed to win in his division (though the team absolutely SUCKED outside the division).

Snisher gambled on vet OLinemen as FA while he built the defense, ST, and RBs, and counted on Bradford to make the O competent while players like DX, Amendola, Quick, Givens, Austin, Cook, and Britt were supposed to provide explosiveness. The OLine continued to break down and the skill players failed to produce.

This year, the ORG went ALL IN for Goff, though we should have ALL known a spread QB would take time. I wanted Wentz. But Snisher chose Goff for his fearlessness in the pocket, footwork, accuracy, arm strength to make the tough throws that expand an offense, his ability to survive adversity, and his drive to succeed. I thought Wentz was more intelligent, powerful, and system compatible. As you can see...I'm still trying my best to support Snisher's evaluation though I still disagree. I'm now a Goff fan who respects but dislikes all things Eagles. Sometimes maturity means having the ability to accept what you cannot change.

The DRIVING force of the 2016 team is athletic power with a F'ing nasty @ss attitude on the perimeter. That's why Fish kept guys like Joyner and Quick. He wants men that will bloody the field. Even Vermeil wanted to toughen the '99 Rams up, but gave into the fear we would lose Martz to another team if he didn't become a HC so he "retired" to do so. Trust me fellas, Vermeil wanted something that Shaw/Frontiere didn't. He wanted what he always did and the Rams wanted the glitz of a finesse offense that garnered attention.

Jeff Fisher has this team finally molded to his personality. We ALL wanted it to come quicker but injuries to the OLine and QB derailed his plan. We now have depth in the OLine (ten kept), RB, TE, DL, and CB positions. The LBs have been devalued to handle a passing league. The Safeties need another stud. They guessed poorly on the WRs. If I can help anyone recall the Chiefs of 2001-2006, their best WR was our castoff Eddie Kennison. They led the NFL in offense at times with Gonzales/Holmes/Johnson/Green and a DOMINANT OLine. That's who we are w a better defense.

I may prefer Wentz. I may be pizzed that we didn't draft Alshon, D Decastro, or Wagner. But I do understand why they went the direction they did. This may be an unpredictable/uneven year. But as an old-timer...I see how this team is built for sustainable success. Continuity is key. We have an incredibly young roster but with good veteran depth. That, my friends, is an incredible feat in this microwave generation of fans and teams.

Don't be surprised if we win 9 this year and 12 or more for the next 8 years because THATS how this team is built. I, for one, extend a golf clap
Nice write up.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bravo Leo! Nicely done! I too have lamented the absence of physical play by the Rams, longing for the old days of knocking the snot out of teams with players that reveled in busting some azz and "laying the wood". Joyner is such a player, Ogletree and Alexander too. I am sure Fisher, Snead and Co talked about the lack of physicality when they signed on and all agreed that they would change that.

Teams have gotten away from hard nosed "run it down your throat" football, and have drafted players lighter and faster to counter the pass. The Rams have been gearing to take advantage of that. While I like the way the team is going, I think this year is a "get the continuity" year. (Adding Singletary, one of the fiercest LB's to ever play the game, to coach up LB's absolutely proves the point)

But watch out in the next two or three years after that when Goff, Gurley, Austin ,Higbee and that monster OL comes into their own!

Excellent post Leo.

Athos

Legend
Sorry. You're just not going to win with 165 yards passing and 135 on the ground.

Good for 300 toys and bottom barrel again.

I don't know how you can even see CK as a top 30 QB. And that m and just breaking 2K yards in a season.

You say the WRs are improved from last year? Are they really? I see rooks, many with a case of the dropsies.

Ds will do all they can to make Keenum beat them. I don't see it. Dude doesn't throw TDs. Or have explosive plays.

Rams 7th in rushing last year. Didn't go anywhere. Bills at 1. Didn't go anywhere.

Heck, many of the other top rushing teams had quality passing attacks as well.

I don't see it.

Unless ole Fish does go to the 5 RB O.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Sorry. You're just not going to win with 165 yards passing and 135 on the ground.

I don't know how you can even see CK as a top 30 QB. And that m and just breaking 2K yards in a season.

You say the WRs are improved from last year? Are they really? I see rooks, many with a case of the dropsies.

Ds will do all they can to make Keenum beat them. I don't see it. Dude doesn't throw TDs. Or have explosive plays.

Rams 7th in rushing last year. Didn't go anywhere. Bills at 1. Didn't go anywhere.

I don't see it.

Biggest key will be disciplined play. We haven't been able to keep ourselves in check for the last 4 years and I hope Fish will keep them in line this year.
Vikings with 11-5 with Teddy throwing 14TDs all year. It's a damn tough task, but the blueprint has been laid. Their defense isn't all that much more talented than our own.
This year maybe more than any other, the margin of victory might lie in Jeff Fisher's hands.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't see it.

How different does last year look if Jared Cook didn't drop chain moving pass, after chain moving pass? It was like he was paid to drop those d@mn passes. That was part of last years plan, catch the d@mn ball, Cook. Those failures obscured the effects of the running game, which was nothing like it will be this year. You have never seen this Rams team run the ball and destroy the opposing defense, like I remember....10 play drives for TD's were common from my memory. With this Oline that we have this year, Gurley may be transported to the 1700 yards range and 500 passing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really, this idea is a little bit of a generational difference. I haven't seen a ground game like it used to be in the 70's, in the NFL for a very long time. Not even Beast Mode in Seattle was as good as what I remember the running game for the Rams was in the 70's. Yeah, I know the line is it's a passing league now, old timer...until it isn't. There are ebbs and flows in thinking about offensive philosophy, and the defenses adapt to those changes...Right now, they are built to stop the pass and the run is a secondary thing, until some bonecrushing team with an Oline opens holes for a guy with Hall of Fame talent and he exposes the soft underbelly of that philosophy.

Athos

Legend
How different does last year look if Jared Cook didn't drop chain moving pass, after chain moving pass? It was like he was paid to drop those d@mn passes. That was part of last years plan, catch the d@mn ball, Cook. Those failures obscured the effects of the running game, which was nothing like it will be this year. You have never seen this Rams team run the ball and destroy the opposing defense, like I remember....10 play drives for TD's were common from my memory. With this Oline that we have this year, Gurley may be transported to the 1700 yards range and 500 passing.

Really, this idea is a little bit of a generational difference. I haven't seen a ground game like it used to be in the 70's, in the NFL for a very long time. Not even Beast Mode in Seattle was as good as what I remember the running game for the Rams was in the 70's. Yeah, I know the line is it's a passing league now, old timer...until it isn't. There are ebbs and flows in thinking about offensive philosophy, and the defenses adapt to those changes...Right now, they are built to stop the pass and the run is a secondary thing, until some bonecrushing team with an Oline opens holes for a guy with Hall of Fame talent and he exposes the soft underbelly of that philosophy.

Until I see a dominant run game take over, this will remain a passing league. DEN and MINN were top 5 in pts/allowed and came into the playoffs at 22pts/game. The rest of the playoff teams averaged 23 or better.

Keenum, in his career, averages 1 TD a game and 200/game.

So.

7pts a game right there.

This D unit isn't top 5. Not with the secondary it has. Not with Joyner. Not without a true FS.

So. For 23/game.

You need 16 more/game.

You're either expecting a lot of rushing TDs or a lot of FGs. That recipe hasn't exactly worked for the Rams.

And again, from a hands perspective, this team isn't all that improved from last year from what I've seen. Spruce sure. But he still hasn't played against 1s yet. Thomas hasn't been effective catching yet. Higbee either. Cooper either.

Yea, Gurley can get 1700 yards. They're going to need a helluva lot more than that from the QB position to compete.

I don't see CK being good enough. And maybe the sad fact will be that none of the QBs will be good enough this year to take pressure off Gurley. Who knows.