We are Going to Run the Ball, so Whatcha Gonna Do?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember the 1970's Rams, and their 7 straight NFC Championships and One Super Bowl appearance. The one strong thing about that club, was that although they didn't have a virtuoso RB like Dickerson would be a few years later, but guys like McCutcheon, Capalleti, Bryant...We were running the ball, and few teams could stop us. It was a thing of ugly beauty to watch the other teams will getting crushed, because they could not stop it, and our defense was out of this world good (like now), and would give the ball back so that the offense could crush the opposing defense again....This would still work if our Oline is up to the challenge, even if they stack the box.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You forgot Greg Hill during those two games in 1998.

"AWESOME! We have a guy who can run the ball!"

two games later....

"Shit."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Teams will stuff the box and still give up 135 yds a game to the Rams.
Our Oline is the best its been in more than a decade, and we have some depth as well..We have the chance to be dominate in the Time of Possession, and rushing TD's.....

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
What I find amusing are the various NFL "writers" that stated our offensive line is porous, horrible, embarrassing, etc. Our WR core may be sketchy right now but our Oline is and should be considered a strength esp depth wise. That's just me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I find amusing are the various NFL "writers" that stated our offensive line is porous, horrible, embarrassing, etc. Our WR core may be sketchy right now but our Oline is and should be considered a strength esp depth wise. That's just me.

When I read or hear that, it makes me not listen to anything else they have to say. They are ignorant about our team, and are running on old info, the lazy bastids! :fuelfire:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other part is that defenses today are built to stop the pass, and stopping the run is less important. They want guys that are faster and less stout to deal with the WR's....If we are truly Bully Boys up front, these wispy guys the backfield are going to experience pain if Gurley has openings provided by a dominant Oline, and he gets to the 2nd level even more often than last year....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams ongoing year after year multiple offensive line injuries have had a large impact on these one paramecium brain cell Sports Annalists & Writers :sleep:& what they remember seeing from field game day over a decade.

Last season we had only four OL'ers who were starting at the time of injury (Saffold/Brown/Williams/Donnal). Just keep in mind that was an improved number over yrs. past. Most outside the extreme Ram fans like us have any ideal of just how good :lifting: this 2016 Ram OL can be with the RB's we have now assemble ready for duty. HAVE NO IDEAL...:heh:.

P.S. There is a reason Boudreau continues to start Jamon Brown @ ORG & its sure not for his pass blocking skills.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For those you who want a better idea of what the Rams plan to do in the Run game, there is an excellent breakdown clip at youtube.com. Film Room episode 11, Gurley Austin. its been poste here at ROD before, but I know there are a lot of fans visiting this site since it was posted and have not seen it.

Please take the time to watch this (around 11 mins.). A "must see" for all Rams fans. After watching it you will understand why the Rams have not played Guley and Austin in the pre-season, and why loading the box won't work.

An improved OL, a QB with a complete TC, and everyone with more experience and continuity.

Rams are set to become one of the league leaders in rushing in 2016.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those you who want a better idea of what the Rams plan to do in the Run game, there is an excellent breakdown clip at youtube.com. Film Room episode 11, Gurley Austin. its been poste here at ROD before, but I know there are a lot of fans visiting this site since it was posted and have not seen it.

Please take the time to watch this (around 11 mins.). A "must see" for all Rams fans. After watching it you will understand why the Rams have not played Guley and Austin in the pre-season, and why loading the box won't work.

An improved OL, a QB with a complete TC, and everyone with more experience and continuity.

Rams are set to become one of the league leaders in rushing in 2016.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2w-SULm2B8

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, Fisher won 13 games once with Kerry friggin Collins throwing a whopping 12 TD's. He had Chris Johnson and Lendale White combining for 25 rushing TD's. So I guess it can be done.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bonifay, when was the last time the Rams OL came out of TC with no signifigant injuries?

For the first time is several years, I firmly believe the Rams OL will be one of the strongest units on the team.

Thx Loyal, for posting the clip

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Bonifay, when was the last time the Rams OL came out of TC with no signifigant injuries?

For the first time is several years, I firmly believe the Rams OL will be one of the strongest units on the team.

Thx Loyal, for posting the clip

Yeah, I think the people who say the line is horrible are guilty of tunnel vision. We have some young, ascending players on the line that figure to keep improving as they keep playing. They sure were opening up some holes during preseason. Wichmann, GRob, Havenstein and Brown are all road graders who can plow the road. Barnes is an athletic center who can get some blocks in the second level. Still some work to do in pass protection but run blocking is going to be the focus.

tempests

Hall of Fame
There's not really a dominant anything anymore. Talent is too evenly distributed throughout the league.

Some weeks the Rams will be able to run the ball. Some weeks they won't.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's not really a dominant anything anymore. Talent is too evenly distributed throughout the league.

Disagree....Gurley is going to go off this year, and the Oline better get nice gifts from Gurley at season's end.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Disagree....Gurley is going to go off this year, and the Oline better get nice gifts from Gurley at season's end.

Comes down to matchups. You think the Rams offensive line can match up with any defensive front in the league, because that's a hell of a claim.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comes down to matchups. You think the Rams offensive line can match up with any defensive front in the league, because that's a hell of a claim.
This Oline has the potential with the starters and the depth of it, to be the best Oline for the Rams in more than a decade. Can I say they will beat every Defensive Line every week? No. But I can say that the longer Gurley runs, the more worn out even the best Dlines become..All Gurley needs is a crease in the Dline, and he's gone.....We have a game manager QB that will make some pay when they stack the Box, and Gurley will make them pay by catching passes too. I think we have been focusing the on QB drama too much, because we can be a winning team with Case, imo.

Bruce2980

Starter

I have to disagree. The only reason the Rams failed to run the ball in the middle of Gurleys season last year was OL injuries, wide open Cook dropping passes on third down, false start penalties and other stupid mistakes and inconsistancies. This team will click on all cylinders this year and there will be nothing any defense in the league can do to stop them. BuubaRamFan suggested this awesome video, it is a need to watch video, youtube.com. Film Room episode 1. This is another reason I think Goff starts by week four. As soon as he learns, cleans up his blitz reads, snaps from center, and calling plays in the huddle, he will do great.