Watson to Cleveland - Fully guaranteed 5 year $230M contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Used to think the world of the kid now I feel like most p.o.s. unapologetic to boot. Anyone else think he at some point will slip up again. When you are that disassociated that unapologetic and unfeeling it turns to overconfidence and he may screw up again.

Loser

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Scott Peoli literally just said the same thing I posted above. He wasn't even asked about that but said let me just say this first. Wow well done Scott and I'm glad he went right for it no tip toeing no neutrality was pissed at the lack of contrition and phony apology only to say your innocent. How can you be sorry truly for something if your saying you didn't do it???? NFL should have taken this as far as it could go and make him apply for reinstatement.

Garbage

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not. Enough. Should've been the whole year, plus playoffs.

At least it's better than it was originally.
PLAYOFFS?! Don’t talk about—playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs!?!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I thought the Bears looked better than Sea by quite a bit.
Of course 2s and 3s, etc, but just saying.
BC

Yeah, not much you can glean from 2 and 3s. Other than Quinn, Montgomery and Fields (who's unproven) name one starter on offense or defense whose name you know. I guess Roquan Smith but he's an above average off the ball LB who's holding out not cause he has an agent who thinks he can get more but because he's negotiating his own deal!

I mean, I cannot overstate this enough, they have a chance to be historically bad!!

That being said, Seahawks could be pretty bad this year too.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yeah, not much you can glean from 2 and 3s. Other than Quinn, Montgomery and Fields (who's unproven) name one starter on offense or defense whose name you know. I guess Roquan Smith but he's an above average off the ball LB who's holding out not cause he has an agent who thinks he can get more but because he's negotiating his own deal!

I mean, I cannot overstate this enough, they have a chance to be historically bad!!

That being said, Seahawks could be pretty bad this year too.
Still don't understand why the Bears didn't pursue Allen Robinson with more vim and vigor.
Seems to me a big productive WR like AR would have been a huge help to a young Justin Fields.
Having said that I am more than happy that Les and Coach Mac struck quickly in the FA period and locked him up for the Rams.
I believe he is going to take a lot of pressure off of Mr. Kupp.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Tano

Legend
Still don't understand why the Bears didn't pursue Allen Robinson with more vim and vigor.
Seems to me a big productive WR like AR would have been a huge help to a young Justin Fields.
Having said that I am more than happy that Les and Coach Mac struck quickly in the FA period and locked him up for the Rams.

~ArkyRamsFan~
He was probably offered a heck of a lot more than us by Chicago and he said - Hell No!!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
He was probably offered a heck of a lot more than us by Chicago and he said - Hell No!!
Yeah, I have thought about this too. I mean Chicago has been a real Store High In Transit place to play Wide Receiver for years now.
Mebbe Robinson has had enough of their "Middle School" offense and wanted the Rams as much as they wanted him.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

~ArkyRamsFan~
I am guessing Robinson wanted out but I agree with your thought about Chicago's off-season strategy.

I thought one of the best signings in all of free agency was Pittsburgh adding Bears' interior OL James Daniels. Was so hoping the Rams would make a play for him.

Still only 24, Daniels can play Guard or Center. Former high second round pick. He signed a reasonable contract (3 years / $26.5M) and carries a 2022 cap hit of just $4.17M. Maybe the Bears offered him more and he also wanted out but Chicago's interior O-Line is weak; and the Bears have cap space.

Even with a new Front Office, you have to fight to hold onto good, young, versatile, reasonably-priced OL

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
11 games huh? Hmmm... Jimmy G on line 3.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Deshaun Watson’s $54.9 million cap hit in 2023 will be largest in NFL history​

Every year in the NFL, we see the market reset for the highest-paid players in the league. That’s the expectation once again with players like Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow set to receive contract extensions this offseason. But as of right now, no player in NFL history has ever had a larger salary cap hit than Deshaun Watson is set to have for the Cleveland Browns in 2023.

No other player has ever had a cap hit higher than $39 million. Watson’s 2023 cap hit will be a ridiculous $54.9 million, by far a new NFL record. It’s 21.7% of the team’s entire spending limit.

Not only is Watson set to have the biggest cap hit in NFL history, he already has irked several NFL owners and front offices thanks to signing the largest fully-guaranteed contract in NFL history at $230 million.

So far, the Browns haven’t gotten a strong return on their massive investment in Watson. Not only will he be set to earn $54.9 million each year through 2026, the Browns also traded the 13th pick in 2022, the 12th pick in 2023 plus another first-round pick in 2024, a third, plus two fourth-round picks for Watson.

He went .500 as a starter in just six games a season ago, and if his 58.2% completion rate is any indication of what’s to come, the Browns may have an albatross on their hands.

The worst part about all of this? If Watson doesn’t return to his previous Pro Bowl form, the Browns are completely stuck with him. Cutting Watson in 2024 would incur a debilitating $164 million cap penalty. In 2025, that number ‘shrinks’ to $109 million, and in 2026, it goes down to $54.9 million. By the way, no NFL team has ever taken a cap penalty of $50 million or more for one player.

In other words, the Browns better hope Watson turns his career around in 2023. Otherwise, the dysfunctional jokes will start all over again for a franchise that has already gone through enough. Yet, that was the risk they knew they were taking when making the decision to pursue Watson.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Deshaun Watson’s $54.9 million cap hit in 2023 will be largest in NFL history​

Watson’s 2023 cap hit will be a ridiculous $54.9 million, by far a new NFL record. It’s 21.7% of the team’s entire spending limit.
In other words, the Browns better hope Watson turns his career around in 2023. Otherwise, the dysfunctional jokes will start all over again
He hadn't played 23 months. Did anybody expect him to not be rusty?

Stafford's cap hit goes to 49 mil in 2024 (age 36), 50 mil (age 37) and 49 mil (age 38). That seems more risky than Watson's contract, if I'm being honest.

Mahomes cap hit is 49 mil this year and he's got millions more coming with new guarantees every year. He has the potential to have 460 mil guaranteed with things that kick in the third day of every league year. If he's on the roster the 3rd day of 2023 (and what fool thinks he won't) he will have his 2025 money guaranteed bringing his total of guaranteed money (to date) from his new contract to 252.65 mil. Way more than Watson and his deal doesn't end until 2026. Sure 2 Superbowl wins proves he's worth every penny.

I know Watson hasn't won anything.....yet.....but I give him more of a chance than Lamar Jackson.

The QB franchise tag # for 2023 is 29 mil. What will the QB franchise tag be by 2025? Right now with already signed contracts, only 33.3 mil. Herbert and Burrow are due for a big raise but they will be signed long term this year and probably have low salaries to start, with the guaranteed bonuses being the largest part of the deal. The top 5 2024 salaries (not "cap hit") at a glance are:

Watson 46 mil
Murray 37 mil
Stafford 31 mil
Prescott 29 mil
Allen 23.5 mil

166.5 mil divided by 5 = 33.3 mil

But the cap hits are astronomically higher. That's the way the NFL keeps franchise tag numbers down. Mahomes has a 2024 salary of 2.5 mil, yet his cap hit is 44 mil. And that 33 mil for 2024 is for QBs, the highest paid position by far with their FT # being 55% or more higher than the #2 position which happens to be LBs:wow2:.

Franchise tag values should be cap hit, not salary because the FT doesn't include any bonus $. Change that and NFL owners might think twice about QB salaries disconnected from the cap. They'd have to pay a QB 50 mil for one year on the franchise tag (which would jump to 60 mil for a 2nd year with the 1.2% automatic increase). The Ravens might sign Lamar in a NY second if that were the case.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Stafford's cap hit goes to 49 mil in 2024 (age 36), 50 mil (age 37) and 49 mil (age 38). That seems more risky than Watson's contract, if I'm being honest.
Yes but, unlike Watson’s contract, Stafford’s deal is not fully guaranteed.

Stafford’s 2025 cap hit is $50M but if he was cut, the Dead-$ is $24M, with $26M of cap relief.

In 2026, when his cap hit is $49.5M, the Dead-$ would only be around $12M, with the difference being cap savings.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Stafford is 20 times better than Watson on every level.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yes but, unlike Watson’s contract, Stafford’s deal is not fully guaranteed.

Stafford’s 2025 cap hit is $50M but if he was cut, the Dead-$ is $24M, with $26M of cap relief.

In 2026, when his cap hit is $49.5M, the Dead-$ would only be around $12M, with the difference being cap savings.
Yes, but my point was the cap hits. Sure Stafford could be released but there's still a significant amount of dead money. Watson is only under contract through 2026, when he will be just 31. I actually believe, all things considered (age, health, talent) it wasn't a dumb move by the Browns
Risky? Sure.
Stafford is 20 times better than Watson on every level.
He's certainly more accomplished than Watson but considerably older with much more wear and tear including back, elbow and concussion issues. I wouldn't trade him for Watson at this point but Watson is a lot younger and a talented QB none the less. In 2 years which will be worth their salary, we can only guess.