Watson looks very good but how good is Houston's defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
hey Ram65 did you notice how well the Texan OL (LT/TE) did on Clowney when they chipped him & caused him to redirect his path?? Left non chipped he was hard to block.

I didn't really notice that. I guess with Watt out it's a good idea.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
hey Ram65 did you notice how well the Texan OL (LT/TE) did on Clowney when they chipped him & caused him to redirect his path?? Left non chipped he was hard to block.
Clowney looks like the player everyone thought he could be, but he's lost his supporting cast!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't get it, we are going to pretend he didn't throw a pick six, and another two awful interceptions.

Yeah but he made up for it. Sherman is a blabbermouth, but basically what he found out is how hard it is for the rest of the league to face a great scrambling QB who always looks downfield for a receiver and can deliver the ball under direct and heavy pass rushers.

In other words he just found out what is like for the rest of the league to face Wilson. Only Watson is much faster and throws a better deep ball.

Clowney looks like the player everyone thought he could be, but he's lost his supporting cast!

I don't think any player could live up to the hype of what they thought Clowney could be.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I worry about the deep speed combined with Watson's ability to escape the pocket. I see our DBs getting burned deep a few times. I hope Joyner is up for the task. The Rams offense can score on Houston.

Rams 42, Houston 30

TexasRam

Legend
I worry about the deep speed combined with Watson's ability to escape the pocket. I see our DBs getting burned deep a few times. I hope Joyner is up for the task. The Rams offense can score on Houston.

Rams 42, Houston 30

Agreed. Our DB’s will get burned some. Watson is a gunslinger and lucky for him he has maybe 2 of the top 10 deep burners in Football along with maybe a top 3 WR I’m Nuke, who can take a bubble screen to the house from anywhere. And Fuller is even faster. This was a dude that runs a 4.2.

Watson has made a whole lot of plays and TD’s vs the prevent in junk time (see the Chiefs game) that have skewed the stats, and his interceptions are cringe worthy. He’s heavily mistake prone. He threw 30 Interceptions in his final 2 years at Clemson including 17 in 2016. He is deadly accurate at times and throws with great anticipation but he has been labeled as a one read QB, with an inability to read a defense and go through progressions.

The way to beat Houston is mistake free ball control offense and tying up those two deep threats at the line of scrimmage while your interior pressure forces Watson into interceptions and bad plays. You do this by taking away his first read, and the big plays deep.

If we come out flat or with mistake prone Football sure they can beat us, but if we are on our game and Wade dials up the right defense, I am not worried. Seattle plays D straight forward. That is not the way to play Watson in my opinion.

It will be interesting. Seattle’s lacks pash rush these days with Avril out and Bennett hurting , whereas we WILL Get to Watson. But our safety’s aren’t exactly fleet of foot. And that could be a huge problem vs Houston. JJ’s 4.6 speed isn’t a great match vs their 4.2 WR speed.

Last edited:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Watson has made a whole lot of plays and TD’s vs the prevent in junk time (see the Chiefs game) that have skewed the stats, and his interceptions are cringe worthy. He’s heavily mistake prone. He threw 30 Interceptions in his final 2 years at Clemson including 17 in 2016. He is deadly accurate at times and throws with great anticipation but he has been labeled as a one read QB, with an inability to read a defense and go through progressions.

...scrimmage while your interior pressure forces Watson into interceptions and bad plays.

If we come out flat or with mistake prone Football sure they can beat us, but if we are on our game and Wade dials up the right defense, I am not worried.

whereas we WILL Get to Watson.

Good post

There is a bit of flavor of the week to the Texans, who are still a 4 loss team.

Rams have the best pass rush they have faced. Let's see how they manage AD, Brockers and the LB's, who have gotten better every week.

Giants first...