Watched 3 games of Greg Robinson: one interesting thing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Of course he is awesome, but he seems to start a tick late when the ball was snapped....just like Kevin Carter always did as a Ram (which I never liked his half step late-start)

I was thinking he did this on purpose so that he could see if the D lineman was going to shoot the gap or something. He is such a good athlete and so strong, he doesn't need to 'fire out'....I was thinking that he just pushes people back no matter who they are, so why fire out and give them a gap to shoot.

Anyone notice this? Anyone else have an explanation for this.?

AFter watching three games, you just giggle at him pushing this 320 pound (#86 on Alabama) guy 2-3 steps back every play. The other players maybe were 270-290, but this #86 couldn't do anything against him; it was a joke.

I don't believe he will have the same success in the NFL, but who in college history every made everyone look like a fool? O Pace? WHo?

Tre Mason
By the way, Tre Mason reminded me of a guy like Lydell Mitchell or maybe even Wendell Tyler...no homerun speed, but sweet cuts, classy runner, and tough as needed up the middle--excellent at the goal line and on 3rd downs..

fearsomefour

Legend
To me Robinson is physically gifted enough he was able to dominate with bad technique and bad habits. That won't happen in the NFL. It's like a kid in high school throwing a 94 mph dead straight fastball past everyone, getting drafted and getting his butt handed to him until he learns how to pitch.
Coach Bo is going to have to work with Robinson. Despite where he was drafted I expect some rough games. T would have been ugly to start. By seasons end however I expect him be dominating inside.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boudreau does direct his OL'ers to first set up in position & let the DL'ers come to them, in pass blocking scheme then fire off engaged. You might recall his instructions in 2012 with veteran discards & failures of OLT Wayne Hunter & ORT Barry Richardson to play way above their previous level of play. It allowed these two vets OT to get the best of what they had to offer.

Remember Jason Smith was sent packing real fast when he refused to follow the instructions of Boudreau....not fire off lead dropping his head upon contact & getting too far out in front of his feet. Greg Robinson has great body control & has proven that he can fire out when he needs too.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Remember Jason Smith was sent packing real fast when he refused to follow the instructions of Boudreau....not fire off lead dropping his head upon contact & getting too far out in front of his feet. Greg Robinson has great body control & has proven that he can fire out when he needs too.

I'd rather not remember Jason Smith, but I get it. Paul Boudreau really wanted Robinson and I look forward to Coach Boo coahcing him up and even making him better. Funny thing about everybody writing that pass blocking was an issue with Robinson, however, he did not give up a sack last year. Also Gruden knocked him because he felt Robinson would get some penalties called against him in the NFL because he felt Robinson held quite often.

Overall this is the organization of Cowan, France, Slater & Pace and soon we'll add Robinson to this list. And BTW I do mean former OT Charlie Cowan and not current back up punter Bobby Cowan.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd rather not remember Jason Smith, but I get it. Paul Boudreau really wanted Robinson and I look forward to Coach Boo coahcing him up and even making him better. Funny thing about everybody writing that pass blocking was an issue with Robinson, however, he did not give up a sack last year. Also Gruden knocked him because he felt Robinson would get some penalties called against him in the NFL because he felt Robinson held quite often.

Overall this is the organization of Cowan, France, Slater & Pace and soon we'll add Robinson to this list. And BTW I do mean former OT Charlie Cowan and not current back up punter Bobby Cowan.
I think this is valid. It will be an adjustment.

FRO

Legend
Robinson is Boudreau's guy. He has a load of physical gifts, but he needs major polish. I hope they can mold this guy into the Pace/Jones/Ogden type of player he was billed to be. Robinson had the highest upside of any of the candidates at 2. It took guts to pick him due to the lack of polish. Snead, Fisher, and Boudreau feel they can pull it off. Let's hope they are right because blowing the number 2 overall pick is a killer.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Once this kid is better trained on the use of his hands (especially when to let go), he's going to be a stud.

jjab360

Legend
Greg Robinson has it all as an offensive lineman. Stepping into the league day 1 he will be one of the most powerful and strongest OL in the league as well as somehow being one of the most agile and light on his feet. He really is the Clowney of O-linemen, the pick was a no-brainer, imo.

Sure, he'll take a little polishing up, but so does every draft prospect. Difference is there wasn't another lineman in this draft who can do what big Greg can do, and there hasn't been in quite some time.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Thanks for bringing up Doug France - great memories and a great player

jjab360

Legend
I just hope he is able to take to coaching. He has the tools to be great.
He's a smart kid, humble, and a hard worker. You don't normally hear those adjectives used to describe kids who are freakish talents, which is what makes Robinson so special, imo.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sure hope Auburn keeps producing great players because the Rams have a pipeline set up with the fact that GM Les Snead was not only an alum, but played TE for them and that Fisher's son Trent played for them too.

Won't be long before Trent Fisher is an assitant GM.

jjab360

Legend
Sure hope Auburn keeps producing great players because the Rams have a pipeline set up with the fact that GM Les Snead was not only an alum, but played TE for them and that Fisher's son Trent played for them too.

I really don't think that had anything to do with it. Robinson was a freakish talent at 2 overall and Mason just happened to fall way farther than he should have in the third round. This is Snisher's third year and they've never drafted an Auburn player before, it just happened to fall that way this year.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

The only thing the Auburn connection changes is the fact that they feel they don't need to scout the Auburn guys as much as other schools, or bring them in on visits.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I really don't think that had anything to do with it. Robinson was a freakish talent at 2 overall and Mason just happened to fall way farther than he should have in the third round. This is Snisher's third year and they've never drafted an Auburn player before, it just happened to fall that way this year.

I disagree Auburn was not very good until this year and I do think having ties always means something. Now granted they are not going take someone just because of him playing at Auburn, but they would be more likely to take him because of having more information than most do.

I guarantee you the fact that Trent Fisher and Tre Mason were so close played a factor just like the fact that Brandon Fisher was close to Trumaine Johnson when they played together at Montana played a factor as well.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yeah I see your point, OP. Coach Bo will get him limed out, man. If he can turn scrubs like turn Hunter, Smith, and Barnes into formidable players, I have no question Robinson will be a perinial Pro-Bowler. When our running game takes off, look for Robunson, Saffold, and Long to all be in the Pro-Bowl discussions. Of course none will be able to participate to to the Super Bowl.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah I see your point, OP. Coach Bo will get him limed out, man. If he can turn scrubs like turn Hunter, Smith, and Barnes into formidable players, I have no question Robinson will be a perinial Pro-Bowler. When our running game takes off, look for Robunson, Saffold, and Long to all be in the Pro-Bowl discussions. Of course none will be able to participate to to the Super Bowl.

So far Boudreau has turned in some serious hard work where he has been trying to yank & pull & beg ......the last bit of decent play out of some seriously past deficient OL'ers.

In 2012 he he was able to field & start many of his handed WWC's i.e. Barry Richardson, Robert Turner, Shelley Smith, Joe Barksdale, Wayne Hunter Quinn Ojinnaka he was also handed Chris Williams Ty Nsekhe, Tim Barnes & Brandon Washington as reserves. With no real help from Snead's & Fishers 2012 draft.

In 2013 things got better for Boudreau with new starters @ OLT Jake Long & ORT Rodger Saffold but had to deal with WWC Chris Williams @ OLG. Boudreau eventually fielded WWC's Joe Barksdale @ ORT, Tim Barnes @ OC & Brandon Washington @ OLG & reserve WWC OG Mike Person. Once again with no real help from Snead's & Fishers draft. In the conclusion of his 2013 effort he discovered a future pro bowl OG in ex OT Saffold, a fair all round center in Tim Barnes & a starting ORT in Barksdale.

This 2014 season some big help arrived in one very large big talented package... finally from Snead's & Fisher's draft..OL Greg Robinson. He may have been given a future reserve center in the draft, but that's it. Boudreau still must find & develop a swing OT somewhere amongst the WWC's. His top reserve may have come on the last day of the 2013 draft in Barrett Jones who he must get stronger & meaner.

Boudreau also needs to keep three of his starters from their ongoing propensity to injure themselves in the field of play this will be very hard. Preventing further damage to these vets is monumental to a successful season. Otherwise he has nothing but young bunch WWC's to weed out & grown OL'ers from again.