Watched 3 games of Greg Robinson: one interesting thing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Barrett Jones needs to show up this season, yeah? If he isn't getting major reps in preseason something must be wrong.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Slow off the snap? I don't see it.

I wonder what a pro scout of 40 years has to say about that?

Robinson is very quick coming off the snap, gaining position and generating movement to sustain. He is very fluid moving laterally and shows nimble feet to generate movement on traps and pulls. He shows very good in-line body control and agility, demonstrating a quick kick slide in pass protection. He is light on his feet for a player of his size and shows the quick reactionary skills to gain position vs. stunts and blitzes. He reaches the second level with good quickness and urgency. His very quick first step generates explosiveness on the rise and he is equally effective firing out on running plays or retreating to protect the pocket in passing situations. One of the more impressive factors of his quickness is his ability to consistently gain position due to his burst off the ball (see 2013 Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri and LSU games) and his ability to reach the second level.

http://min.scout.com/2/1396142.html

I;m going to go ahead and side with the former NFL personnel guy on this one. :whistle:

HinkoDMayo

UDFA
Name
Hinks
My peeps!! The fact that Robinson will be starting at LG his 1st year will help him adapt to the NFL and won't have the stress that comes of starting out at LT! Look at the positives here peeps:) our line will be much better and Robinson will be a big mean machine with him starting out at LG and kicking Long out the following year due to his large contract. Good day!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I wonder what a pro scout of 40 years has to say about that?

http://min.scout.com/2/1396142.html

I;m going to go ahead and side with the former NFL personnel guy on this one. :whistle:

I'd rather trust my own eyes. I don't think every former scout is automatically a better talent evaluator than I am. Lots of scouts fail. Many are former scouts for a reason. Some are just good writers.:whistle:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'd rather trust my own eyes. I don't think every former scout is automatically a better talent evaluator than I am. Lots of scouts fail. Many are former scouts for a reason. Some are just good writers.:whistle:

I'm guessing you don't know who Dave-Te Thomas is.

How about a scout that provides scouting reports to teams for $50,000 a pop? Because that's Dave-Te Thomas, the writer of this particular scouting report. He also compiles the official draft guide that's distributed to every NFL team.

Some scouts fail. The best ones parlay their skills into a job that pays them much more than what they get paid to work for an individual team. Dave-Te Thomas is one of those guys. Dan Shonka is another one.

Why get paid by one team for your work when you can get paid by 32?

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He has no quickness issues or technique issues with this delayed start. I noticed his 'delayed' surge off the ball in run blocking...it keeps his man from shooting the gap, he doesn't need to explode in to people because he is soooo strong. I think he does it on purpose. I think in the pros he won't do this...

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

He isn't 'slow' off the snap, it is an actual delay--on purpose. He is later off the line than every guy on Auburn, pretty much every play....it is very noticeable.
Watch the alabama game (it is on youtube). I guarentee you, you can't miss it. Remember Kevin Carter, he was always a split second behind every one....

IF I have to, I will "capture" off you tube for ya'all and link it...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He has no quickness issues or technique issues with this delayed start. I noticed his 'delayed' surge off the ball in run blocking...it keeps his man from shooting the gap, he doesn't need to explode in to people because he is soooo strong. I think he does it on purpose. I think in the pros he won't do this...

I don't see this either. He blows people off the LOS immediately and works into the second level better than any OT I can remember.

Keep in mind that some of these 'delays' are by design in Gus Malzahn's scheme.

Edit: Nevermind. It seems like you understand the schemed 'delays.'