Was Nick Foles A Bad Fit For Philly?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/07/23/was-nick-foles-a-bad-fit-for-philly/

Photo by: Jeff Fusco.

The topic of whether Nick Foles had the right temperament to play in Philadelphia was introduced by The Inquirer‘s Jeff McLane Wednesday during an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic.

“Nick,I think, wasn’t very comfortable in that role [of a franchise quarterback], especially in Philadelphia,” he said. “I think there probably wasn’t as much written about that [as there should’ve been] and I’ve kind of learned a few things since Nick has been gone, that it had really gotten to him, some of the criticism that was happening here in Philadelphia based on his play last season and I don’t think Bradford is the type of guy where he lets that type of stuff get to him.”

Louis Riddick, who was a part of the Eagles' front office when Foles was drafted, joined the morning show Thursday and was asked for his take.

"My experience with Nick is that he was very even-keel, very mellow, very much so not affected by a lot of outside things, but more...I've talked with people directly that were with him every day and coached him, and he was the kind of guy who behind the scenes didn't necessarily like being criticized, didn't necessarily like maybe being coached hard, being gotten on in the way that some quarterbacks and some players can take," he said. "So is it surprising that maybe he would fit in a little bit better in a town like St. Louis where, not necessarily that they don't have high expectations, but it's not the same kind of scrutiny he'll face here in Philadelphia? Yeah, that doesn't shock me. That doesn't shock me that he would feel more comfortable there.

Trending: Eagles Wake-Up Call: WR Training Camp Preview
"You've gotta be different, man. You've gotta be different in a good way in order to thrive here."

Foles "occasionally butted heads" with quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor "over the coach's intensity," per a 2014 Inquirer report. It didn't impact the on-field product, though, as Foles threw for 27 and 2 during his lone season with Lazor.

"I'm not saying he didn't like it, but there are certain guys that you have to coach and approach in a certain way in order for them to really then respond the next series, the next practice, the next game, the next season, whatever is next for them," said Riddick. "From what I can gather, Nick isn't a guy who really wants you berating him and getting on him.

"It's not to say that Nick is weak mentally. I like Nick and wound up liking Nick as a player a lot more than I initially did when he came out of college, because I was not very high on him. As I've said before, Andy Reid was the guy who really liked Nick Foles and he's the one that solely deserves credit for him being drafted in Philadelphia. But there's better fits for different players in different cities and St. Louis sounds like -- even from what Nick had said -- sounds like a place where he feels as though he can thrive, so we'll see."

Even so, Riddick is not totally on board with the team's decision to deal Foles to St. Louis for Sam Bradford.

"From the outside looking in, is it a substantial risk? Of course it is. Because I don't care how much talent Sam has in his arm and how much talent Sam has between his ears, the fact of the matter is his durability is a huge, gigantic red flag flying across the middle of the sky being pulled by a 747. It's as big as it gets.

"So would I have traded for someone like that? My first inclination is to say no, because I am very much so one of those people who believe that guys who have an injury history before are going to have an injury history after; it's hard for them to shake it...Would I have done it for Sam? No. Do I criticize [Chip Kelly] for getting rid of Nick and wanting to upgrade the position? No I don't, either because I would have probably wanted to do that, too. But it was just who he did it for."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
some of the criticism that was happening here in Philadelphia based on his play last season and I don’t think Bradford is the type of guy where he lets that type of stuff get to him.”

Well now how does he suppose to know that? Bradford was not put under a lot of pressure here in St. Louis. If anything he was treated with kid gloves. That is what happens with a coaching staff that is player friendly and Sam had that with Spags and Fisher. I think being a small town guy Sam is less likely to jive with what is ahead of him in Philly. That is one of the most brutal fan bases in the league, and Kelly seems like a demanding coach.

"So would I have traded for someone like that? My first inclination is to say no, because I am very much so one of those people who believe that guys who have an injury history before are going to have an injury history after; it's hard for them to shake it...Would I have done it for Sam? No. Do I criticize [Chip Kelly] for getting rid of Nick and wanting to upgrade the position? No I don't, either because I would have probably wanted to do that, too. But it was just who he did it for."

Wow. Someone who gets it. The media seems espoused to the idea that Sam is this huge upgrade over Nick, without really knowing either player and conveniently ignoring Sams injury history.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@RAGRam I take it that you disagree with Riddick. How do you ignore the two ACLs? on top of the past injuries? I know, I know...........What?

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think being a small town guy Sam is less likely to jive with what is ahead of him in Philly. That is one of the most brutal fan bases in the league, and Kelly seems like a demanding coach.

No doubt. I really hadn't considered that but those fans will burn you at the stake if you let them down.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
@RAGRam I take it that you disagree with Riddick. How do you ignore the two ACLs? on top of the past injuries? I know, I know...........What?

I read it the other way, would he trade an injury prone Foles for Bradford? Which then made his statement a complete contradiction. I then realised I'd got it wrong, and deleted my post.

I'd absolutely trade Foles for Bradford, even though I don't rate Foles. Hell I'd of done it for the second round pick. No way would I be looking to re-sign Sam at the end of the year regardless with his injury history.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think he was a Bad fit for Philly. I think Philly was a Bad fit for him!
He'll do a lot better here with the Rams! I predict it!!(y):D

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Andy Reid was the guy who really liked Nick Foles and he's the one that solely deserves credit for him being drafted in Philadelphia.
And Andy Reid knows QB's.
"From what I can gather, Nick isn't a guy who really wants you berating him and getting on him.
Good, I wouldn't want a guy onboard who can take that kind of treatment. Nick deserves to be in an environment of mutual respect, and I like the fact that he appreciates that as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMHO I truly believe that Foles and Fisher will be an excellent match and Bradford and Kelly could be too, if Sam can stay healthy and if not Philadelphia fans will hang Chip Kelly and Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur in effigy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And Andy Reid knows QB's.

Good, I wouldn't want a guy onboard who can take that kind of treatment. Nick deserves to be in an environment of mutual respect, and I like the fact that he appreciates that as well.

Consider too that when Reid drafted Foles it was to play in a basic West Coast offense. Which is more akin to what he will do with St. Louis. Good run game and not forced to carry the team with a crazy passing game.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think the players are gonna love Foles. That's what matters.

Not whether or not he was a good fit in Philly - to hades with philly

Foles has got that lead by example thing going on and down home Central Texas vibe which will definitely endear him to players and fans if he can stay healthy and win games

He's a likeable guy and a proven winner

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foles has got that lead by example thing going on and down home Central Texas vibe which will definitely endear him to players and fans if he can stay healthy and win games

Well said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I agree. And they already do love him.

But if he doesn't do well, and we're not decimated by injuries, then do we have to start looking at coaching?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think Kelly overplayed his hand by thinking he can coach his type of player to play in his system. He got rid of alot of good talent including Foles so his loss is our gain we will be a better team with a Qb that actually plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, Foles was a bad fit in Philly...not just for personality reasons but the offense just wasn't the right fit for him. He doesn't have the quick setup and trigger that you need for Kelly's offense nor does he have the exceptional natural arm talent to be able to throw from awkward platforms.

That all said, I'm still not sold on him here either. My concern is that I think he's more Andy Dalton/Carson Palmer than Matt Ryan/Andrew Luck. If he ends up being like prime Matt Schaub, I'd say we got a great deal.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I agree. And they already do love him.

But if he doesn't do well, and we're not decimated by injuries, then do we have to start looking at coaching?

The Bradford trade was such a huge move this off-season I think they have essentially bought themselves another year, at least

The mysterious QB situation works in the coaching staffs favor in 2015.

The fact Foles hasn't signed a long term contract I think is huge, and they could argue that it's a transition year if things fail to materialize as hoped. I mean moving on from Bradford defines this year - and then there is the fact you could argue Mannion is the heir apparent (if Foles fails) and he is their hand-picked guy and needs time to develop since there is no way he was going to start this year - but maybe in 2016 - and then if they end up with some high draft choice and with those extra Philadelphia picks could work a trade to get one of the to prospects in 2016 Like Corderell, then I think they have set themselves up greatly longevity wise when it comes to the unknowns regarding the QB

But I think all that changes if the defense fails

If the defense fails - particularly Nick Farley - then I think the coaching staff is gonna have huge questions to answer

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He doesn't have the quick setup and trigger that you need for Kelly's offense nor does he have the exceptional natural arm talent to be able to throw from awkward platforms.
Exactly. But that obviously doesn't mean he can't be effective here. He was pretty good on play action passes over there.
And you know who he reminds me of? Derek Anderson during his second year with the Browns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. But that obviously doesn't mean he can't be effective here. He was pretty good on play action passes over there.
And you know who he reminds me of? Derek Anderson during his second year with the Browns.

Wasn't going there. I was explaining why he wasn't the right fit for Kelly's offense. He's definitely a better fit here. He's the type of guy you want under center.

The Derek Anderson comparison doesn't make me feel good. ;)

I'm hoping for Matt Schaub. If we get that, we've got a shot at going all the way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wasn't going there. I was explaining why he wasn't the right fit for Kelly's offense. He's definitely a better fit here. He's the type of guy you want under center.

The Derek Anderson comparison doesn't make me feel good. ;)

I'm hoping for Matt Schaub. If we get that, we've got a shot at going all the way.
Oh I know you weren't insinuating that he couldn't succeed. Take a look at this horrible quality video of Anderson and see if you can see any similarities. I wasn't saying that they'd have parallel success (or lack thereof). Just that they look a bit alike to me in their mechanics and lumbering scrambling ability.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb_XdisMD9o

ram007

Starter
If Foles could push Kelly's guys, guess what he could do to Cignetti who is a rookie Offensive Coordinator. I hope this is Kelly spreading lies about Foles. If true, Rams are fucked.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes, Foles was a bad fit in Philly...not just for personality reasons but the offense just wasn't the right fit for him. He doesn't have the quick setup and trigger that you need for Kelly's offense nor does he have the exceptional natural arm talent to be able to throw from awkward platforms.

That all said, I'm still not sold on him here either. My concern is that I think he's more Andy Dalton/Carson Palmer than Matt Ryan/Andrew Luck. If he ends up being like prime Matt Schaub, I'd say we got a great deal.

I'd take Carson Palmer level with a good running game and defense. Sure I'd like Aaron Rodgers better but you can't get that for a year of Bradford.