Was Nick Foles A Bad Fit For Philly?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Carson Palmer level with a good running game and defense. Sure I'd like Aaron Rodgers better but you can't get that for a year of Bradford.

I should clarify, I'm not talking good Carson. I'm talking Carson near the end in Cincy/Carson in Oakland. A middle of the pack QB that turns the ball over a bit too often.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes, Foles was a bad fit in Philly...not just for personality reasons but the offense just wasn't the right fit for him. He doesn't have the quick setup and trigger that you need for Kelly's offense nor does he have the exceptional natural arm talent to be able to throw from awkward platforms.
+1

It sounds to me like Foles was getting micro-managed a bit in Philly based on the insight given in the article. If so, he's gonna love it here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So Foles played under Reid in 2012 and started 6 games.

One could argue that his experience there really helps him in transition to the offense in St. Louis.

And... Playing in Kelly's offense is also valuable experience even if it wasn't the best fit for him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well now how does he suppose to know that? Bradford was not put under a lot of pressure here in St. Louis. If anything he was treated with kid gloves. That is what happens with a coaching staff that is player friendly and Sam had that with Spags and Fisher. I think being a small town guy Sam is less likely to jive with what is ahead of him in Philly. That is one of the most brutal fan bases in the league, and Kelly seems like a demanding coach.

Wow. Someone who gets it. The media seems espoused to the idea that Sam is this huge upgrade over Nick, without really knowing either player and conveniently ignoring Sams injury history.
Bradford is a big upgrade over Foles talent wise. The injury history is what makes it risky and interesting. I think it may be the rare situation where it works out for both teams.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wasn't going there. I was explaining why he wasn't the right fit for Kelly's offense. He's definitely a better fit here. He's the type of guy you want under center.

The Derek Anderson comparison doesn't make me feel good. ;)

I'm hoping for Matt Schaub. If we get that, we've got a shot at going all the way.
Maybe somewhere between the two?
If he can play solid ball and not turn it over the Rams have shot at doing some things. A lot of the that is the line in front of Foles however.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

we all know sam is a perfect fit for the eagles.

i'm sure foles will do well with the rams. britt, quick, bailey, tavon. it's not like he's throwing to stiffs, these are all dangerous weapons for a qb who can get them the ball.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But if he doesn't do well, and we're not decimated by injuries, then do we have to start looking at coaching?
What's doing well? 3000 or 4000...25-40 TD passes...3 to 1 int. ratio? But if not that, you'd think it was coaching?

Yes, Foles was a bad fit in Philly...not just for personality reasons but the offense just wasn't the right fit for him. He doesn't have the quick setup and trigger that you need for Kelly's offense nor does he have the exceptional natural arm talent to be able to throw from awkward platforms
was Foles a bad fit in 2013...or was it a fluke? New system for the league? Then his "flaws" were exposed...in 2014....I just saw a guy that got shaky in the pocket...but still could sling it a lil bit...

“Nick,I think, wasn’t very comfortable in that role [of a franchise quarterback], especially in Philadelphia,”
I don't like this premise....the NFL is HUGE...it's huge everywhere...esp. if you're winning...how can he avoid the fame and prestige as ANY clubs franchise/long-term starter QB? If he didn't like it..or doesn't like it...of course we're screwed....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's doing well? 3000 or 4000...25-40 TD passes...3 to 1 int. ratio? But if not that, you'd think it was coaching?

was Foles a bad fit in 2013...or was it a fluke? New system for the league? Then his "flaws" were exposed...in 2014....I just saw a guy that got shaky in the pocket...but still could sling it a lil bit...

I don't like this premise....the NFL is HUGE...it's huge everywhere...esp. if you're winning...how can he avoid the fame and prestige as ANY clubs franchise/long-term starter QB? If he didn't like it..or doesn't like it...of course we're screwed....

I'd say a fluke. For the reason you mentioned. New system. Plus, some good old fashioned luck.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Strictly relative to what we're used to. QB rating near 80, 3000 +/- yards, couple dozen TDs, no more than 12 ints.
Those aren't high expectations. If he can't get above that, and there's no real hardcore mitigating factors, then what?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. And they already do love him.

But if he doesn't do well, and we're not decimated by injuries, then do we have to start looking at coaching?
Well, we always have the "Schotty built a poor foundation" crutch to lean on.

MrMotes

Starter

Start looking at coaching? We've been badly coached on offense for going on a decade now...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd say a fluke. For the reason you mentioned. New system. Plus, some good old fashioned luck.
I feel you...I saw a couple games were the db's dropped some picks...And he just seemed to sling it and D-Jax would come down with it...of course, they were easy reads and the receivers were running wide open...

Strictly relative to what we're used to. QB rating near 80, 3000 +/- yards, couple dozen TDs, no more than 12 ints.
Those aren't high expectations. If he can't get above that, and there's no real hardcore mitigating factors, then what?
Seems doable...but that ESPN scout has me nervous...here

and here: http://975thefanatic.com/2015/07/23/louis-riddick-joins-anthony-gargano-jon-marks-morning-show/

Another point...New OC, and new QB...doesn't he at least deserve the time Greg Williams was allowed? Basically a whole season...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Start looking at coaching? We've been badly coached on offense for going on a decade now...
I don't know about being badly coached, in as much as there really hasn't been a wellspring of talent TO coach. Little of both, I suppose. When I say take a look at coaching, I don't mean take a look at OC's or position coaches. I mean take a look at the big kahuna and wonder if his plan is going to ever take us anywhere. But since it's all right as rain this year, it's a moot point.

We're gonna run through this schedule like a buzz saw.

ram007

Starter
Man, this is starting to bother. A lot of negativity about Nick out of no where....

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I read this article and the criticisms they bring to light about Foles remind me of the types of criticisms I come up with for a gal after breaking up with her. I don't want to lie, breaking up means being dumped.