Was at the game...The Good, Bad and the Ugly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
I'll say this regarding last night. I am now overwhelmingly aggravated that we did not go after Rodney Hudson. I love Les Snead and Jeff Fisher more than most, but dagumit, that was the only FA I wanted for this team. Look at what a guy like that would give this OL right now. He's a Pro Bowler in and out. Out of all the things that happened last night, which I don't read into as much as most, that was the one thing that irked my skin. Watching him handle Brockers and Donald.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies. The one other good thing I forgot to mention was Sean Manning. We have 2 QBs on this team that give us a bright future.
Amari Cooper surprised me with his size. He was given cushions but he looks solid to me. More a possession type than a game breaker.
Regarding JL55 again. Never seen a Pro Bowl out of him. Look at the big runs and most of the time the middle is wide open. Track JL55 on those plays and he's out of position. It's a glaring weakness on otherwise a very good defense. I would run right at JL55 every chance I get if I was the opposition and I would throw at Joyner.
In regards to the Raiders fans, they were good last night. Albeit a preseason game, I didn't see any problems. It's hard to have a great time at an opposing teams stadium. That's why being a Northern California guy, I'm really hoping I can have the privilege of attending games in LA at my home park! It would be heaven.
Hey guys, Nick Foles is a winner. This QB knows how to deceive defenses. He knows what the defenses are giving him pre-snap and what WRs will be open. We can nit pick all day but ultimately the guy with the ball in his hands will make it break us. We have a bright future with Foles.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another thing that comes to mind is the status of our 4 QBs. Who's in jeopardy of getting cut? Who would have thought that our QB who beat Seattle and San Francisco last year would be the one who is probably gone?
Case Keenum got the call with the 2nd unit and looked pretty good to my surprise. Manning isn't going anywhere obviously. Davis unfortunately will be the odd man out. Would love to see this kid land somewhere like the Jets.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They have a new coach. The wanted to come out game one in preseason and make a statement.

Interesting. Except the Jets, every team with a first year head coach dominated their preseason game so far.

Oakland,Chicago, Denver, Atlanta. I'm betting Buffalo will tonight, too. And SF? Who knows, who cares.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If Jones plays as badly next week

I did see him miss a block on a screen pass, other than that I'm not seeing what you're seeing, to each their own I guess.

I will conceed none of them (Centers) have taking the bull by the horns as of yet.

jjab360

Legend
I did see him miss a block on a screen pass, other than that I'm not seeing what you're seeing, to each their own I guess.

I will conceed none of them (Centers) have taking the bull by the horns as of yet.
I thought the starter, Tim Barnes, held his own and looked pretty good. We don't need a superstar out there, just somebody who can make the correct line calls, won't whiff on blocks, and won't let the pocket collapse. I thought he did that bettter than the other two C's going up against better competition.

Rainram

Starter
Regarding JL55 again. Never seen a Pro Bowl out of him. Look at the big runs and most of the time the middle is wide open. Track JL55 on those plays and he's out of position. It's a glaring weakness on otherwise a very good defense. I would run right at JL55 every chance I get if I was the opposition and I would throw at Joyner.
In regards to the Raiders fans, they were good last night. Albeit a preseason game, I didn't see any problems. It's hard to have a great time at an opposing teams stadium. That's why being a Northern California guy, I'm really hoping I can have the privilege of attending games in LA at my home park! It would be heaven.
Hey guys, Nick Foles is a winner. This QB knows how to deceive defenses. He knows what the defenses are giving him pre-snap and what WRs will be open. We can nit pick all day but ultimately the guy with the ball in his hands will make it break us. We have a bright future with Foles.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on #55. It will be polarizing, I'm sure, but probably deserves its own...and we can follow it all year long. I made a brief mention of him in the game day thread. I like the guy, but think we need more from our MLB. If you can beat Peyton Manning in the chess-match on the field, that's great. But I'd take a little more Ray Lewis right about now.

Our LBers (including him) were greatly exposed when our DLine was weaker. The addition of Brockers, Donald, Sims and Hayes has helped our Backers a lot. I'm still optimistic about Ogletree (more so as a blitzer and in the passing game). But in the run game, #55 and our run stoppers gotta make some TFL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think....that when #1's go against #1's...it's significant....It means something....Better pay attention....Only ugly or bad I saw....When Fish didn't go for that first down with the ones...condition this offense on how to make/convert 3rd downs...should start now...that play to Cooks was terrible for a 3rd down call...down right ugly...Should'a went for it on 4th...what, are we working out kickers? Play to win, no, prepare & plan for the season...We needed that play ...our offense needed that...overall not upset...

Now, Joyner...concerned...but I expect EJ back...And to me, McGee is way better than Joyner...Mo needs mo work...gotta play through the man TO the ball...man to man coverage, they all need work...especially JJ...
Barron needs to see the field...Mannion needs Keenum & Davis snaps....all of them....couple of those wrs are gone...like Williams...I think Ferguson should make the squad...and start catching some passes...Maybe he can heal a community...Oh, Givens is still a beast...

I may start to believe in Tavon...only in the slot...but to me, can't prove nothing in preseason, but like Quick last year, it's a start...I may have hope for Davis...he better tackle....Still no faith in Chase Reynolds, Washington, Baker....

Coaches must hate Davis (kinda a Geno Smith thing)....let him play behind the 3rd string OL...almost got him killed...LOL...I'd ask them, "what I do?" LOL

All in all, no huge/silly (total numbers) penalties...line was lining up tight! Looked TIGHT! Loved the line play..Thumbs up Coach Boo!!!!

Did I say Joyner has me worried? Tru is the real deal...I always thought he was better than JJ....but last year he scared me....And I still like JJ...he was playing vanilla....you see they didn't try him on the goal-line...none of the backup CB's impressed...anybody see someone they liked?

JL55 and Chris Long...may be the last year for these 2....

Athos

Legend
Agreed. I was very impressed with the right side. Methinks we will be running more in that direction than originally thought.

Also very meh on Joyner. You can compare him to honey badger all you want. Don't think they are equal. One played in a defensive conference. One played in a mediocre one. And he is just too small and weak and easily gets anused by bigger guys. Gaines can't get healthy fast enough.

And that playing field looked shitty. Football shouldn't be played on a bball field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'll say this regarding last night. I am now overwhelmingly aggravated that we did not go after Rodney Hudson. I love Les Snead and Jeff Fisher more than most, but dagumit, that was the only FA I wanted for this team. Look at what a guy like that would give this OL right now. He's a Pro Bowler in and out. Out of all the things that happened last night, which I don't read into as much as most, that was the one thing that irked my skin. Watching him handle Brockers and Donald.

Of course, going after and getting a player are two different things altogether. 5 years $44.5 million for a center wasn't about to happen for any team but the Raiders.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One thing to consider about a game like last night, the Raiders have been needing a positive infusion with the way seasons have gone lately. They have a new coach. The wanted to come out game one in preseason and make a statement.

The Rams on the other hand, have a 4th year coach, maybe they haven't been a playoff team, but they're considered a contender and have higher aspirations. They're not worried about a win in game one. They're more concerned about giving guys looks who are just trying to find a spot on the team and keeping they guys who have a spot from getting hurt.

So its not surprise the Raiders outplayed the Rams last night. I actually expected the Raiders to come out with more a sense of urgency than the Rams. They needed to give their fan base something to be excited about to start the season.

Yeah plus someone told Mark Davis that the winner of this game gets to move to LA.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One small addition about Barrett Jones.....If he isn't the starting Center, and isn't even the 3rd best Center on this team..what role does he have? He isn't as good as Reynolds (Jack of all trades). He certainly won't challenge any other spot on the line. We have been waiting for him to recover and get stronger for all this time, for him to be the 3rd best Center? It may be time to cut him.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Barret Jones came into the league with alot of baby fat. It was reported he was weak. His rookie year he got into a game I believe it was preseason and was consistently pushed in the backfield. Same thing happened last year but not that consistently and the same is happening now... dude is just not strong enough. And I've been saying JL is a liability for about 4 yrs now. He isn't physical enough in my eyes and plus he is SLOW

fearsomefour

Legend

He was pushed back in the running game several times. A couple of plays were blown up because he lost or couldn't get leverage on his blocks. He seems a little slow out of the snap and was beaten quite a bit.
In re watching the first quarter Barnes played better than my first impression. None of them get big push in the running game, but, Barnes was solid in pass and was solid in run.

fearsomefour

Legend
Barret Jones came into the league with alot of baby fat. It was reported he was weak. His rookie year he got into a game I believe it was preseason and was consistently pushed in the backfield. Same thing happened last year but not that consistently and the same is happening now... dude is just not strong enough. And I've been saying JL is a liability for about 4 yrs now. He isn't physical enough in my eyes and plus he is SLOW
I agree with the take on Jones. The Rams have other options. The ideal was Jones living up to his college career, it is looking less and less like that is going to happen. If Barnes and or Rhaney are not going to be solid enough (I think one or both will be) the Rams could pick up someone else....they are not going to get someone to replace JL.
He is a productive player, but, a guy who doesn't make a ton of plays. With his salary number now under control I don't see him going anywhere.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah Cooper for sure has a shot to be very good.
Carr is going to be special if he keeps his head together.

Fresno's my home town and I live less than an hour north of there. So I follow that team a lot and watched Carr many times. He has the tools to be a good one. Strong arm, accurate, athletic enough to use his legs to get out of trouble.

But there were a couple times I was concerned about his ability to handle pressure. He got a lot of pressure in a bowl game against USC and he didn't handle it well. But he seems to be better at it now. He's a smart kid. He can learn things fast. And it was clear when he can sit in the pocket with time he can deliver an elite caliber pass with that arm. I think Oakland got lucky with this pick.

fearsomefour

Legend
Fresno's my home town and I live less than an hour north of there. So I follow that team a lot and watched Carr many times. He has the tools to be a good one. Strong arm, accurate, athletic enough to use his legs to get out of trouble.

But there were a couple times I was concerned about his ability to handle pressure. He got a lot of pressure in a bowl game against USC and he didn't handle it well. But he seems to be better at it now. He's a smart kid. He can learn things fast. And it was clear when he can sit in the pocket with time he can deliver an elite caliber pass with that arm. I think Oakland got lucky with this pick.
I agree totally.
I think physically Carr is it. Can be a top level guy. That is what I meant by keeping his head together. But, he looked really good to me for a rookie on a bad team last year, I was very impressed with him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Every time there's a big run (which is about 1 of every 3 runs) find JL55. You'll find him out of position (most of the time unforced) where he goes for a lineman to wrestle with instead of taking the proper angle to the ball carrier. Say what you want, but this guy often times will look to avoid taking on RBs at the line of scrimmage. His tackles are downfield and more arm tackling than nose to nose let me knock you on your a$$ run stuffing. I don't understand how he gets a pass every year.

Regrettably, I have to agree. I saw the same things you did. Out of position, not aggressive in tackles, can't shed blocks. That doesn't mean he's not a valuable key for what he does do well, but he's not a star.