Was at the game...The Good, Bad and the Ugly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
Ill start with the Good. The combination of the Rams offensive play calling and Nick Foles running the offense is very encouraging. It did look to me that they tried to avoid running routes into the dirt area with the starting WR's. They stayed left on the grass for the most part and ran nothing down the seams into the hard dirt. Nick Foles is a very good NFL QB and we are lucky to have him. Cignetti looks to be more creative and for whatever reason, was pass oriented coming out the gate last night.
I was very impressed with Havenstein at RT. He might be recognized as our best Olineman by midseason. They couldn't move him backwards or get around him. He doesn't kill lineman, he just contains them. Can hardly wait to slide Gurley and Mason into the backfield to run behind Robo and Jamon. Jamon I thought looked active. Need to see film more to evaluate his inside play. We need to resign Defensively we need to resign TJ22. Tru has the physicality, the length and is just starting to blossom as a player. I heard on ESPN 101 that the need to resign JJ21, keep Gaines and let Tru go. Are they nuts. Keep all 3 and we can eventually get rid of Joyner.

Now that I've mentioned Joyner, let's get to the bad. I was someone who cringed when we moved up to use a 2nd round pick on a player this small. You think the Raiders singled him out at the goal line on that easy TD slant? Terrible mismatch was taken advantage. I'm sure LaMarcus is a great competitor but we're not a team anymore that should have mismatches against us of this magnitude. Another area that I've been very vocal about and is the greatest weakness of our defense is, Middle Linebacker. Every time there's a big run (which is about 1 of every 3 runs) find JL55. You'll find him out of position (most of the time unforced) where he goes for a lineman to wrestle with instead of taking the proper angle to the ball carrier. Say what you want, but this guy often times will look to avoid taking on RBs at the line of scrimmage. His tackles are downfield and more arm tackling than nose to nose let me knock you on your a$$ run stuffing. I don't understand how he gets a pass every year. Is he even in a Pro Bowl discussion? Time to draft a true MLBer. Johnny Hekker also had a bad night. Not too worried about him but he was off. One tid but on him. Hekker was doing an Odell Beckham impersonation with his pregame catches. Showcases himself to be a very good athlete.

The Ugly you ask? Our center position. We have backups looking to start at a very important position. We're in trouble here. In the days of Linehan and Spags, every position used to be this bad. Now we have just a couple positions like this one that need a major upgrade.

All in all, I have to say the 1st drive of the game had me reminiscing of the Greatest Show on Turf. To be continued...

fearsomefour

Legend
Good post.
Those Raider fans aren't so bad, right?
I will say it on every thread that relates, Rhaney is the starting C. Jones was not good, Barnes was ok. Barnes gets no push in the run game, Jones was routinely blown up, Rhaney is athletic enough to make adjustments while moving and get angles on guys. Need to see him vs a starting D line.
Havenstein impressed me as well. There were times I thought he was beaten and he ended up getting in front of his guy and stone walling him. Brown looked pretty good overall as well.
To me the Rams need to settle the C position sooner instead of later or bring someone else is asap. If Jones does not improve by next week I would be working him just at G going forward.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
One thing to consider about a game like last night, the Raiders have been needing a positive infusion with the way seasons have gone lately. They have a new coach. The wanted to come out game one in preseason and make a statement.

The Rams on the other hand, have a 4th year coach, maybe they haven't been a playoff team, but they're considered a contender and have higher aspirations. They're not worried about a win in game one. They're more concerned about giving guys looks who are just trying to find a spot on the team and keeping they guys who have a spot from getting hurt.

So its not surprise the Raiders outplayed the Rams last night. I actually expected the Raiders to come out with more a sense of urgency than the Rams. They needed to give their fan base something to be excited about to start the season.

FRO

Legend
Good post.
Those Raider fans aren't so bad, right?
I will say it on every thread that relates, Rhaney is the starting C. Jones was not good, Barnes was ok. Barnes gets no push in the run game, Jones was routinely blown up, Rhaney is athletic enough to make adjustments while moving and get angles on guys. Need to see him vs a starting D line.
Havenstein impressed me as well. There were times I thought he was beaten and he ended up getting in front of his guy and stone walling him. Brown looked pretty good overall as well.
To me the Rams need to settle the C position sooner instead of later or bring someone else is asap. If Jones does not improve by next week I would be working him just at G going forward.
The bad shotgun snaps were a concern with me with Rhaney. I think Barnes starts.

fearsomefour

Legend
The bad shotgun snaps were a concern with me with Rhaney. I think Barnes starts.
I didn't notice any bad snaps....the one low one to Davis who made a great throw. I will have to rewatch for that.
Barnes could certainly start but he is just a "break even" guy in the run game.

fearsomefour

Legend
One thing to consider about a game like last night, the Raiders have been needing a positive infusion with the way seasons have gone lately. They have a new coach. The wanted to come out game one in preseason and make a statement.

The Rams on the other hand, have a 4th year coach, maybe they haven't been a playoff team, but they're considered a contender and have higher aspirations. They're not worried about a win in game one. They're more concerned about giving guys looks who are just trying to find a spot on the team and keeping they guys who have a spot from getting hurt.

So its not surprise the Raiders outplayed the Rams last night. I actually expected the Raiders to come out with more a sense of urgency than the Rams. They needed to give their fan base something to be excited about to start the season.
It will be interesting to see how the Raiders O progresses.
They have improved the cast of receivers for Carr and their O line should be stable. I know they really like the TE, Rivera I think, and Watson at RT. Hudson at C is sturdy as they come.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It will be interesting to see how the Raiders O progresses.
They have improved the cast of receivers for Carr and their O line should be stable. I know they really like the TE, Rivera I think, and Watson at RT. Hudson at C is sturdy as they come.

I do believe they're headed in the right direction. But I don't think they're a contender yet. Cooper might turn out to be a star.

FRO

Legend
I didn't notice any bad snaps....the one low one to Davis who made a great throw. I will have to rewatch for that.
Barnes could certainly start but he is just a "break even" guy in the run game.
That was the only bad one I noticed. I agree talent wise Rhaney is the guy. I don't know how good he is with line calls and the other small things. With such an inexperienced line I think they go with Barnes because he has experience and knows the offense. Barnes is just a guy and basically a backup guy. I think Rhaney could be a solid starter, but I'm not sure if he can do the small things you need the C to do. Not saying he can't, but he is still pretty inexperienced himself.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Exactly remember when we played the Colts in preseason then in a real game... Fisher plays everything close to the vest especially the 1st game and the main reason is to try to avoid the injuries

fearsomefour

Legend
That was the only bad one I noticed. I agree talent wise Rhaney is the guy. I don't know how good he is with line calls and the other small things. With such an inexperienced line I think they go with Barnes because he has experience and knows the offense. Barnes is just a guy and basically a backup guy. I think Rhaney could be a solid starter, but I'm not sure if he can do the small things you need the C to do. Not saying he can't, but he is still pretty inexperienced himself.
Agreed.
However, all the right calls in the world don't matter if you get blown up every other play, as we saw with Wells last year. I think Jones will start next week and probably Rhaney the week after that. The Rams appear to be going by seniority to me, which is a bad idea. If Jones plays as badly next week I would consider his role a back up G at this point. Barnes is solid in pass but get zero push in the run game.
The team could roll the bones with a vet FA out there. Bring in Chris Myers for example. Good run blocking C....although I am not sure of the scheme in Houston. 34 years old, could be Wells part 2, but, could pull the trigger and get him out if he struggles. I just don't like what I have seen at C so far. The only guy with upside appears to be Rhaney.

fearsomefour

Legend
I do believe they're headed in the right direction. But I don't think they're a contender yet. Cooper might turn out to be a star.
Yeah Cooper for sure has a shot to be very good.
Carr is going to be special if he keeps his head together.

fearsomefour

Legend
We need a bully center to cap off the line.
Only guy out there now who might be of interest is Chris Myers. Of course the question there is why has no one signed him? Is he shot at 34?
I don't think the Rams go that direction. Personally, I would cut Washington today and sign Myers if he has anything left.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ill start with the Good. The combination of the Rams offensive play calling and Nick Foles running the offense is very encouraging. It did look to me that they tried to avoid running routes into the dirt area with the starting WR's. They stayed left on the grass for the most part and ran nothing down the seams into the hard dirt. Nick Foles is a very good NFL QB and we are lucky to have him. Cignetti looks to be more creative and for whatever reason, was pass oriented coming out the gate last night.
I was very impressed with Havenstein at RT. He might be recognized as our best Olineman by midseason. They couldn't move him backwards or get around him. He doesn't kill lineman, he just contains them. Can hardly wait to slide Gurley and Mason into the backfield to run behind Robo and Jamon. Jamon I thought looked active. Need to see film more to evaluate his inside play. We need to resign Defensively we need to resign TJ22. Tru has the physicality, the length and is just starting to blossom as a player. I heard on ESPN 101 that the need to resign JJ21, keep Gaines and let Tru go. Are they nuts. Keep all 3 and we can eventually get rid of Joyner.

Now that I've mentioned Joyner, let's get to the bad. I was someone who cringed when we moved up to use a 2nd round pick on a player this small. You think the Raiders singled him out at the goal line on that easy TD slant? Terrible mismatch was taken advantage. I'm sure LaMarcus is a great competitor but we're not a team anymore that should have mismatches against us of this magnitude. Another area that I've been very vocal about and is the greatest weakness of our defense is, Middle Linebacker. Every time there's a big run (which is about 1 of every 3 runs) find JL55. You'll find him out of position (most of the time unforced) where he goes for a lineman to wrestle with instead of taking the proper angle to the ball carrier. Say what you want, but this guy often times will look to avoid taking on RBs at the line of scrimmage. His tackles are downfield and more arm tackling than nose to nose let me knock you on your a$$ run stuffing. I don't understand how he gets a pass every year. Is he even in a Pro Bowl discussion? Time to draft a true MLBer. Johnny Hekker also had a bad night. Not too worried about him but he was off. One tid but on him. Hekker was doing an Odell Beckham impersonation with his pregame catches. Showcases himself to be a very good athlete.

The Ugly you ask? Our center position. We have backups looking to start at a very important position. We're in trouble here. In the days of Linehan and Spags, every position used to be this bad. Now we have just a couple positions like this one that need a major upgrade.

All in all, I have to say the 1st drive of the game had me reminiscing of the Greatest Show on Turf. To be continued...
Have to disagree with you about JL.. you don't become a team leader on defense for avoiding tackles. You don't lead the league in solo tackles by avoiding tackles. I know a lot of people don't like JL because he's not the athletic thumper people want so they overlook the many positives to his game which far outweighs his negatives. It's more about a style that people want even if that style wouldn't fit into greg system.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I wouldn't make too much of this game, like Legatron stated in the gamethread, there was an obvious disparity between effort in the two teams.

Rams were just looking to scope out their rookies and coast through without injury, the Raiders were still butthurt and looking to make up for us hanging 52 on them. One team was all laughs, smiles and play while the other was angry, shoving everyone they could find and posturing and celebrating tackles for losses in preseason like they were done in the Super Bowl.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good post OP. Agree on all counts. JL does appear to be a liability in the run game unfortunately. Amari Cooper looked huge to me. Kid will be a stud me thinks.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I love Cooper thought he was as sure a thing as you get in a receiver. I wanted him but then again I wanted just about all the players taken in the first round.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see how well he plays when he's not given a 10 yard cushion off the line.
And even with those huge cushions he had what 3 rec for 22 yards? A 10 yard long? I thought we did well on him for them deliberately trying to get him the ball vs our basic coverage.

VinnyRam

UDFA

LIKE OUR FAN BASE DOESNT NEED SOMETING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT? Performance overall was pretty pathetic -- preseason or not.