Wanna see my "outside the box" draft strategy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Warning. Some of this strategy is outside the mainstream current posted strategy thinking that I've seen.

And I'm assuming throughout that Keenum is 99% likely to be our '16 starter, no matter which QB(s) we draft. I think that that is a safe assumption.

This is not a mock, btw. I don't do actual mocks. Just my draft strategy view from 30,000 feet.

So here goes...

1st round. Take a WR such as Doctson, Coleman, or Treadwell rather than settle for QB Lynch at 15 or trade up for Goff or Wentz with very valuable picks. My current favorite WR is Doctson. I think he's gonna be a star in this league. But the other 2 are also just fine by me.

2A. Take the QB that the FO likes most for our O scheme. I don't have a strong personal preference, so I'm just gonna trust the FO on this. He's gonna be a development QB, sure. But so would any other drafted QB. And, yes, that includes Goff, Wentz, and Lynch.

2B. Take TE Henry, if available. TE upgrade problem is solved. If Henry is gone, take BPA, I guess. Then take a TE that they like later. There seems to be 2-3 other TE's that could produce for us in maybe rounds 3-4. Hoping for Henry, though. Might even prefer him at 2A instead of 2B the more I think about it.

3rd round. Draft the kicker Aguayo here. I know, I know. It's unorthodox. But so what? He's reportedly the best to come out in years, and we need an upgrade there in a big way. Why not get the best while we're at it? He could have won 3 more games for us last year where GZ missed critical kicks. How much more bang for our buck could we get from the typical 3rd rounder we might draft at this spot? If Aguyayo is already gone (yeah, it's just possible) then take Fairborn in the 4th round. Draft strategy regarding kickers is evolving, especially after the new 15 yard point after rule has been made official.

4th and beyond, just take BPA.

So how would our roster look after all this? Well, it would be pretty danged loaded at many, many positions. And it wouldn't have gaping holes anymore, either.

Just consider the following positions manned by players ranging from current All Pros to Pro Bowlers to near Pro Bowlers to potential future Pro Bowl level talented players. It's an impressive list, if you ask me...

RB Gurley. Already a PB player and at least top 3 at his position.
WR Doctson (potential future PB player requiring game planning by opposing DC)
TE Hunter Henry (high potential threat requiring game planning by opposing DC)
DE Quinn. If healthy, an elite type PB player.
DT Donald. Already All Pro. Probably best DT in the league.
LB Ogletree. Was playing at near PB level before injury last year.
LB Barron. Was playing at PB level last year, imho.
CB TruJo. Was playing at near PB level last year. Probably deserved to be voted in, imo.
CB Gaines. If healthy, he could well be in the conversation as a possible PB player. Just a matter of time for him, I believe.
S McDonald. A near PB player before his injury. Another player that it's just a matter of time, I think.
S Joyner. Yeah, this one is a projection, I'll admit. But I've gotta say that I've got a very good feeling about his potential at S. Wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds McLeod's play by '17. There. I said it.
PK Aguayo. I see future PB's for this kid. Maybe All Pro's, too.
P Hekker. Simply the best in the league. Multiple All Pro's in his future.

That's a boatload of talent, y'all. The kind of talented players one sees on the rosters of playoff teams. Not to mention a brand new developmental QB just added and an apparently emerging bunch of OL players already on the roster.

We just might be on the verge in '16, fellas.

So... Where did I go wrong? Or did I just flat nail it? Lol.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I completely agree with you about Doctson, he's my #1 WR too!
* 6ft 2/2o2/ ran 40 in 4.50
* 41.o vert.
* 10 ft 11 inch Broad jump
* did the shuttle in 4.08
* Ran the cone drill in 6.84
* And he has a whopping 133.9 SPARQ score
I think he has everything!!:D

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I like your 3rd round pick, kicker. I don't think anyone on here has mentioned him but he could be a game changer like you stated. Third round might be just a little too high but with his talent, I don't feel we can sit back and hope he is there in the fourth, where I would like to take him.

Also I'm leaning more to the WR/TE picks in the first two rounds. I like Treadwell over Doctson but either would be an outstanding grab for us. Grab Henry with 2A. Don't get cute and pull a Bobby Wagner again. You want him? Go get him.

In agreement with your assessment.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@Rams43, you and I are on similar pages. It's a strategy in the first two rounds that I like. I'm not sure I'm on the kicker bandwagon in the 3rd but it's intriguing if the guys that good.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am down with this strategy. Doctson is my #1Wr right now too. I like Treadwell ... but I think he may be gone by our pick. Doctson is more "complete" than any other WR in this draft. I also like Boyd/Thomas in Rd.2 . I still have this very strong feeling that they are going to find some way of drafting Braxton Miller. Just seems like a "Snisher" pick. I also have the heavy feeling of the "double down" approach at WR in this draft...so if it's a QB/TE in Rd.2 .. .then maybe WR Jordan Payton in the 4th? Arguayo would be a smart pick ... but if reports that they are close with GZ on a deal .. then I don't think they will use that high of a pick on a PK.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The ony question mark I might have is a 2nd developmental QB...Depends on what they REALLY think of Mannion (not just what they say for fan and media consumption)...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree about your assessment of Carson Wentz...Dude was part of a winning tradition, and it was a Pro style offense if memory serves. He's sharp as a crack of the whip. You are right that he most likely doesn't start Day one, but I see that he might take the job from Keenum at some time during the year, once he gets used to NFL speed

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I worry that your way is their way and when they get to round 2 then end up with Hackenberg or Cook. While I still believe both could end up fixing their mechanical issues and start one day, I don't see them as top half of the league starters because they have other issues that will hold them back. So this strategy doesn't address the biggest issue on the team.

Now if they just say "Fuck it, we tried to work a trade up for one of the top three and it didn't happen, so we will pick the best available player in round 1 (that could be Doctson, he is a favorite of mine too) and then address offense and maybe CB in round 2 and skip picking one of the other QBs and roll with Keenum this year." Well, then I couldn't argue with that as long as they tried.

I don't expect a great season this year. Maybe they finish near the same slot but with the move and the bouncing around and playing in China, and not upgrading the QB spot maybe the Rams really stink it up this year and end up with a top 5 pick next year. They may have a good shot at a top QB then. If they end up with Lynch he probably isn't much help this year anyway. I don't suggest they tank, but think this season is going to be a rough one with players just moving to LA and the team not having a real home and all. It doesn't even seem like their living arrangements will be all that permanent, because they may have to move once the new stadium is in place.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Love the idea IF and only if we don't land Wentz.

I agree with grabbing Aguayo early. The guy is clutch and Zerlein, even for all the unnecessary criticism, has lost his edge a little bit.

Nice post, brotha!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Monday will finally arrive & for me its about time. Its the day for me to review the findings on the only WR I am interested in with the first pick the #15 selection.

Ole Miss' pro day is scheduled for tomorrow on March 28. It will be a big day for wide receiver Laquon Treadwell, who did not run :mad: at the NFL Combine due to switching agents and training camps. Hopefully the results will take me to a new level:love:. But he has many flaws:notsure:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079899/laquon-treadwell

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure I see where this is out of the box thinking? I've seen plenty of mocks going WR in round 1 and hoping that a Cook drops to round 2
Can't say I'd be happy with a 3rd round pick on a kicker since we have other needs but like you said this kid is pretty highly rated

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Monday will finally arrive & for me its about time. Its the day for me to review the findings on the only WR I am interested in with the first pick the #15 selection.

Ole Miss' pro day is scheduled for tomorrow on March 28. It will be a big day for wide receiver Laquon Treadwell, who did not run :mad: at the NFL Combine due to switching agents and training camps. Hopefully the results will take me to a new level:love:. But he has many flaws:notsure:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079899/laquon-treadwell

I've gotta say that I doubt that any pro day by Treadwell will change my mind, Bonifay.

He's not that strong on getting separation, imo. If a WR doesn't get good separation vs college CB's, how's he gonna do against the Sherman's of the NFL? That's why he's my 3rd WR.

Obviously, others may feel differently.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect your perspective but I hate this strategy. And I don't think Aguayo is worth taking anywhere near the 3rd round.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I respect your perspective but I hate this strategy. And I don't think Aguayo is worth taking anywhere near the 3rd round.
Sixth round for kicker and although Aguayo might go in the 5th I feel very confident that Fairborn can be had in the 6th or he might not get drafted at all IMHO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I've gotta say that I doubt that any pro day by Treadwell will change my mind, Bonifay.

He's not that strong on getting separation, imo. If a WR doesn't get good separation vs college CB's, how's he gonna do against the Sherman's of the NFL? That's why he's my 3rd WR.

Obviously, others may feel differently.

Yes many may feel different But Laquan would need to have a Unheard of Pro Day for him to get me on his bandwagon. Not sure why I am even discussing Laquan since the Ram will be trading away their next few drafts for one QB prospect who may never hit the field this season. Unless Laquan can be had with a 6th round pick or maybe we can sign him as a UDFA?

If we do happen to be very smart & clever & not trade away our future drafts then I looking for another pro bowl rookie pick with the #15 selection and it will NOT be a WR. I'll start looking hard for a WR on day two. Might get me two wide outs with 2 of those 3 second day picks at that.

A CB like Vernon Hargreaves or a LB'er like Jack Myles could fall into our laps very easily if those 3 QB's fly off the boards before us. Snead should be there to take full advantage of that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

@jrry32 and @ den-the-coach.

Two things...

First, Aguayo is not just any old PK. He is reportedly an elite PK that would probably have added 3 games to our wins column last year. The difference between a 7-9 record and a 10-6 record. What other 3rd rounder do you see giving us anywhere NEAR that kind of bang for our buck?

We've all seen what an elite punter like Hekker has done for us. Simply the best in the game. Why not add a similar talent at the PK position?

Second, and I mean this with all due respect 'cause I'm an old fart with sometimes rigid thinking habits, myself. But the game is constantly changing and that requires occasionally re-evaluating our positions on certain things rather than relying on old timey dogma.

There was a time when teams all had padded 2 a days and denied the players water.
There used to be no such thing as a ST coach.
No team winning the toss ever used to defer.
The run had to be established first in order to set up the pass was once an axiom for HC's everywhere.
Few, if any, teams used to have organized scouting departments to best pick players in the draft.
Few teams devoted substantial resources to finding and paying for UDFA gems.
RB's were commonly first picks in drafts. One HC once traded away his whole draft for a RB!

And we could all go on and on about this "evolution of thinking" theme.

So yeah, I believe that there is a new thinking currently evolving about the relative value of a stud PK. Particularly after the new 15 yard extra point and the new 25 yard line placement after touchbacks rules.

It would not be surprising to see an Aguayo selected in the mid 3rd round by some team this year. Or a Fairbairn by the mid 4th round.

Understand, this applies to the elite kickers only, not to the "pretty goods".

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
If they absolutely cannot get Goff/Wentz, I would rather trade one of the 2nd rounders this year for a 2017 1st rounder. Give Mannion this year to see if he can develop. If he doesn't, you have a lot of flexibility next year to move up for a top QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 and @ den-the-coach.

Two things...

First, Aguayo is not just any old PK. He is reportedly an elite PK that would probably have added 3 games to our wins column last year. The difference between a 7-9 record and a 10-6 record. What other 3rd rounder do you see giving us anywhere NEAR that kind of bang for our buck?

We've all seen what an elite punter like Hekker has done for us. Simply the best in the game. Why not add a similar talent at the PK position?

Second, and I mean this with all due respect 'cause I'm an old fart with sometimes rigid thinking habits, myself. But the game is constantly changing and that requires occasionally re-evaluating our positions on certain things rather than relying on old timey dogma.

There was a time when teams all had padded 2 a days and denied the players water.
There used to be no such thing as a ST coach.
No team winning the toss ever used to defer.
The run had to be established first in order to set up the pass was once an axiom for HC's everywhere.
Few, if any, teams used to have organized scouting departments to best pick players in the draft.
Few teams devoted substantial resources to finding and paying for UDFA gems.
RB's were commonly first picks in drafts. One HC once traded away his whole draft for a RB!

And we could all go on and on about this "evolution of thinking" theme.

So yeah, I believe that there is a new thinking currently evolving about the relative value of a stud PK. Particularly after the new 15 yard extra point and the new 25 yard line placement after touchbacks rules.

It would not be surprising to see an Aguayo selected in the mid 3rd round by some team this year. Or a Fairbairn by the mid 4th round.

Understand, this applies to the elite kickers only, not to the "pretty goods".

I think the value of a Kicker is dropping. The NFL is stocked with quality kickers right now. Aguayo is a good prospect but he's not what you're making him out to be. He was 5 of 10 from 40+ in 2015. Aguayo is automatic inside 40 but so are the vast majority of NFL Kickers. Aguayo doesn't have a big leg.(his leg is fairly average)

Zuerlein had a terrible year in 2015 and he was still 8/17 from 40+. Not much of a difference between him and Aguayo in terms of percentage.

I have a feeling Fisher would wreck Aguayo's confidence like he did Zuerlein's. It's a different game when your coach keeps trotting you out to attempt long field goals. Plus, Greg had an injury all year.

IMO, the Rams would be better off signing a kicker like Ross Martin in FA and bringing Zuerlein back. Aguayo isn't much better than Martin.(Aguayo's leg is a tad stronger but not a huge difference)

If Aguayo were what he's hyped up as, it would be worth taking him in the 3rd round.(i.e. he was automatic inside 40 and had a monster leg) But he's not. There's really not much difference between Aguayo and Dan Carpenter imo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Agree. People forget that Legatron didn't just have an injury, he had a groin injury.

I actually think he comes back strong.

Same with JL. Dude played 10 games with a busted wing only because Tree was out. It's not like the coaches didn't know he wasn't 100%.

Of all the guys coming back from injury, I may be rooting hardest for Sted (how can ya not?), but I'm the most confident in Greg Z. Back (Quinn), Plantar Fasciitis (Gaines), Shoulder (Saffold) and others... All those can have histories. I pray for all of our sakes and especially theirs they do not. Groin injuries don't tend to have that chronic recidivism that injuries like back injuries can.

Come to think of it, I'm actually worried about the return of Quinn...