Wanna see my "outside the box" draft strategy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like it. You could wait on the 4th round for the kicker, but someone will take him before that I'm sure.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the value of a Kicker is dropping. The NFL is stocked with quality kickers right now. Aguayo is a good prospect but he's not what you're making him out to be. He was 5 of 10 from 40+ in 2015. Aguayo is automatic inside 40 but so are the vast majority of NFL Kickers. Aguayo doesn't have a big leg.(his leg is fairly average)

Zuerlein had a terrible year in 2015 and he was still 8/17 from 40+. Not much of a difference between him and Aguayo in terms of percentage.

I have a feeling Fisher would wreck Aguayo's confidence like he did Zuerlein's. It's a different game when your coach keeps trotting you out to attempt long field goals. Plus, Greg had an injury all year.

IMO, the Rams would be better off signing a kicker like Ross Martin in FA and bringing Zuerlein back. Aguayo isn't much better than Martin.(Aguayo's leg is a tad stronger but not a huge difference)

If Aguayo were what he's hyped up as, it would be worth taking him in the 3rd round.(i.e. he was automatic inside 40 and had a monster leg) But he's not. There's really not much difference between Aguayo and Dan Carpenter imo.

So jrry32.....

If I understand this post correctly, your problem is not the strategy of drafting a studly kicker in the 3rd or 4th round. Your disagreement is more with Aguayo as the kicker?

If so, then we are not that far apart, really.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So jrry32.....

If I understand this post correctly, your problem is not the strategy of drafting a studly kicker in the 3rd or 4th round. Your disagreement is more with Aguayo as the kicker?

If so, then we are not that far apart, really.

Yes. I think it takes a special kicker to draft a kicker that highly. I don't think Aguayo is special enough. He's consistent and automatic within 40 but doesn't have the range for me to consider him to be special.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like the 2nd round QB thing....and BPA at 15....Lynch and Cook are the same to me...I like Cook a lil more....and I still like Hackenberg & Brissett....That dude from Louisiana Tech too...and Cardale....ahahahahahahah....:rolllaugh:

Wr...exactly the 2 I like best are Coleman & Doctson.... @Rams43 not touching treadwell, not at 4.6....I'd rather add a good wr early....and a bunch of FA's with issues at wr....
I'd take that Center from Bama with one of the 2nd round picks....Developmental TE....OJ from Bama to keep Allen company.
Not sure about a kicker....GZ needs one more year....
Love outside the box strategies....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Like the 2nd round QB thing....and BPA at 15....Lynch and Cook are the same to me...I like Cook a lil more....and I still like Hackenberg & Brissett....That dude from Louisiana Tech too...and Cardale....ahahahahahahah....:rolllaugh:

Wr...exactly the 2 I like best are Coleman & Doctson.... @Rams43 not touching treadwell, not at 4.6....I'd rather add a good wr early....and a bunch of FA's with issues at wr....
I'd take that Center from Bama with one of the 2nd round picks....Developmental TE....OJ from Bama to keep Allen company.
Not sure about a kicker....GZ needs one more year....
Love outside the box strategies....

Lynch and Cook are opposites really, though, LA. Lynch has an elite ceiling with need of a redshirt year. Cook is very average but supposedly can play sooner. Rams history points towards preferring guys with high ceilings, i.e. talent, in round 1.

Hackenberg is so terrible the words are hard to find, happy feet and weak in the pocket, can't feel or anticipate the rush, and worst of all inaccurate as F. Cardale is as raw as it gets and couldn't keep his job in college, best arm in the draft but it doesn't matter when you're inaccurate and make bad decisions. Rams should not touch either of those clowns, let some other team waste a pick on them. Brissett I'd be ok with as a project but I'd hope he'd be added as a late round guy after they addressed QB with another prospect earlier.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hackenberg is so terrible the words are hard to find, happy feet and weak in the pocket, can't feel or anticipate the rush, and worst of all inaccurate as F.
Tell me how you really feel Merl....ahahahahahahah....
Look, this Hackenberg thing is getting out of control....Sorta like Lynch being terrible vs Auburn after his coach left the team....
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/christ...hypocrisy-of-nfl-draft-process-174130565.html

Christian Hackenberg's honesty reveals hypocrisy of NFL draft process

By Dan WetzelMarch 28, 2016

Christian Hackenberg apparently blundered during interviews with NFL teams in advance of next month's draft.

By telling the truth.

As a freshman at Penn State, the quarterback completed 58.9 percent of his passes, throwing for 20 touchdowns against just 10 interceptions. Some pegged him as an eventual No. 1 overall selection.

After that season however, Bill O'Brien left to go coach the NFL's Houston Texans. James Franklin took over with an offense that has traditionally skewed more to the spread than O'Brien's pro-style.

Hackenberg's numbers dropped to 12 TDs and 15 picks as a sophomore, only to rebound to 16 TDs, six interceptions as a junior. He isn't viewed as a great prospect anymore and is unlikely to be taken in the first round, let alone at the top of it.

Johnny Manziel.

You can argue that Hackenberg should take all responsibility for everything himself and never speak ill of a coach, but what if it's, you know, true?

Hackenberg possesses a unique backstory. He was a five-star recruit out of Virginia who chose to play for Penn State mostly because of O'Brien, who'd just arrived from a stint as offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots. Hackenberg wanted to be an NFL quarterback, and here was a coach who'd just spent five seasons under Bill Belichick and three working directly with Tom Brady.

Hackenberg was loyal enough to and excited enough about O'Brien that he maintained his verbal commitment to Penn State, even after the school was hammered by NCAA sanctions following the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.

Crippling scholarship reductions meant he'd play in State College with few fellow playmakers and a thin offensive line. In purely football terms, the smart move was to run the other way. Hackenberg didn't care. He signed anyway. He was hailed for keeping his promise to Penn State.

That first year it looked genius, the perfect marriage of coach and player.

And then O'Brien went pro before Hackenberg could.
8bb26330-dc01-11e5-9480-570f93fb5c0f_obrienhack_225.jpg

Christian Hackenberg (right) came to Penn State to play under Bill O'Brien. (AP)

Franklin has been a successful college coach and done wonders in restoring Penn State's recruiting momentum and overall enthusiasm. This isn't about comparing the relative coaching abilities of he and O'Brien.

It just wasn't a good fit with Hackenberg, where personalities clashed as the offense struggled. When Hackenberg was finally able to turn pro after his junior season, he issued a statement that notably didn't mention Franklin by name.

He did thank Bill O'Brien, though.

So this was toxic, and everyone knows it. As such, what would the point be of pretending otherwise? What is it about modern society that wants, even demands, people play pretend rather than discuss the obvious?

It's a culture that lies, or at least embellishes just about everything. From social media posts and pictures designed to reflect a better reality to a college selection process that rewards joining clubs and organizations because it'll look good on the application, not because the student cared about any of it.

Everywhere truths are bent or shaded for politeness and political correctness. You can't really trust anything.

Only this time, you might. A draft prospect was blunt and direct. He noted that losing the coach and system for which he was perfect mattered. He admitted that trying to square peg himself into a round-hole offense, while surrounded by a Sandusky-decimated roster, didn't work as well.

Isn't there something admirable about that? Has it gotten so bad that acknowledging the undeniable is no longer allowed?

Sure, coaching changes are part of the transient NFL, so Hackenberg better get used to the concept. Yes, some of it is on him. It doesn't mean some players don't excel under some coaches. Who would deny that?

If NFL teams want draft prospects to not say what is "probably true," then it says more about those teams and their culture than it does about Christian Hackenberg.

The truth should set him free. Or, at least not cause to fall past the third round.

He can't be that bad.....more likely, the loss of Allen Robinson, and the HC plus the sanctions crippling the talent on the O-Line played a key role in his performance....He looked to me like he wasn't trying to get hurt...and didn't trust his teammates....