Wagoner Rams Chat Highlights: Rams Liked Mosley and Martin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—Yes. Another serious injury for Bradford means it’s time to make the change, in my opinion.

—As I wrote a lot before the draft, they really liked Alabama LB C.J. Mosley and Martin.

—How many WR’s? Probably six to start including Bailey. But too early to say.

—I think safety is still a big question mark. And it’s fair to worry about both WR and the OL as a group. The OL has potential to be excellent but a lot of injury questions. The WR corps is almost wholly unproven.

—Will be interesting competition in the secondary. Lots to sift through at CB, especially. I think these players are probably safe bets for the roster: Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McLeod, McDonald, Alexander. That’s six. They’ll probably keep closer to nine or 10. So should be a good battle behind that group with the likes of McGee, Daniels, Davis, Gaines, Reid, etc.

—Quick? They say they believe in him but they added Britt for a reason. Can he be that guy? Sure. He has the potential, it oozes out of him on the practice field. But consistency is the key and I need to see that before I believe it with him.

—As I wrote plenty of times before the draft, the Rams were only interested in a WR who could be a potential No. 1 guy. They passed on him with the second pick and didn’t go with one the rest of the way. They do like what they have there. We’ll see if that bet pays off.

—They are banking on a lot of those types of players. I think expectations on Brockers making that leap last year were a year premature. I expect him to be even better this year. I feel like Jenkins should take a step forward, too. But if we’re being honest here, it seems like a lot of wishing and hoping that all of those young players will pan out. The Rams have to hope that enough to do to make them contenders.

—To my knowledge, the Rams are as committed to scouting in terms of dollars and personnel as any team in the league. They have some really good younger scouts in the system and some of their leaders, the guys below Snead like Taylor Morton, Ran Carthon and Brad Holmes are rising stars. You’ll hear more from them in the future, I’m sure.

—As I said, I would have been fine with Watkins/Martin but that’s still hindsight drafting. Many thought Martin would be gone by 13. And the Rams are more concerned with building the lines to compete in the division. Value wise, Donald is great choice. As for free safety, I don’t see the fix right now.

—The run game is the focal point but with Bradford back at QB, I expect the offense to be more balanced than it was with Clemens. Again, the run game will be the key but the Rams can do more things with Bradford under center than Clemens.

—Fisher has pegged Joyner as the nickel, I asked him specifically about safety the night they drafted him and he kept pointing to nickel. That’s why I projected him there for now. As for safety, I think McLeod is the likely guy for now but we’ll see where Alexander fits in.

—I was surprised they didn’t go with more of an FS type and as you probably already saw, I thought QB should have been addressed earlier. But in Williams’ scheme, they may think they can use Alexander and McDonald in tandem at some point.

Read Complete Chat Highlights

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm a bit surprised that Wagoner doesn't see what became clear to me when I went to Radio City and interfaced with other Draftniks. Nick is probably the best guy we've got right now, but he seems to be locked into his own perspective too much. He needs to spend a little more time outside of STL.

But I like that he provides inside info on the people at Rams Park. I'll be looking for these guys in the future....

—To my knowledge, the Rams are as committed to scouting in terms of dollars and personnel as any team in the league. They have some really good younger scouts in the system and some of their leaders, the guys below Snead like Taylor Morton, Ran Carthon and Brad Holmes are rising stars. You’ll hear more from them in the future, I’m sure.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

seriously, he's still going on about Watkins? Does he even know what the rams want to do on offense? Robinson and Donald were the perfect choices for this team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

seriously, he's still going on about Watkins? Does he even know what the rams want to do on offense? Robinson and Donald were the perfect choices for this team.

Yeah. Nick has a case of tunnel vision. Then again, I haven't seen anyone in StL really get it. Maybe Softli and Balzer.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Agreed! I never thought that the Rams could (And, Would!) get both Robinson and Donald without having to make a trade! I can't be happier and more excited about these two players!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Agreed! I never thought that the Rams could (And, Would!) get both Robinson and Donald without having to make a trade! I can't be happier and more excited about these two players!

Nah. I thought there was a reasonable shot at Donald at #13. And all we had to do was stick an pick Robinson. Really, all it came down to was the Rams having a well thought out master plan and sticking to their board. Sitting in Radio City Music Hall, I believed that I understood the first part. Before the 13th pick was announced a Rams fan sitting next to me said he knows the pick from twitter. And I said am I going to be happy and he said yes. Then I knew it was Donald.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The draft is about collecting the best players. At 2 and 13, the Rams did just that. Move on.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What I find interesting is that the Rams had such a different board at the top, than the other teams up to the Cowboys. I always thought that for the most part the first round grades would be quite similar. Maybe it is because the draft was so loaded this year.

For example. I didn't think their was any way Donald wouldn't be picked by Tampa Bay and Lovie, or the Giants. I also felt that Martin would be a prime target for the Giants. Martin was one of the Rams top players, as was Donald. But 11 teams had other players they rated higher. Just about every 4/3 team in the league could use a penetrating DT. For the Rams to be so high on Martin that they would give up picks for him in a loaded draft tells you how much they liked him and he hung around until the Cowboys pick?

Every year there are mid first rounders that should have Been top 5. It is going to be interesting to see if Martin and Mosely would have been some of those players. If so it says good things about the Rams talent evaluation.

Hawk

UDFA

Do the Rams know what the Rams want to do? They drafted Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey and signed Jared Cook who all fit better with the spread. Now all of the sudden they are a run first team? I'm not so sure. Watkins would have been a fine pick even though I preferred Greg.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
What I find interesting is that the Rams had such a different board at the top, than the other teams up to the Cowboys. I always thought that for the most part the first round grades would be quite similar. Maybe it is because the draft was so loaded this year.

For example. I didn't think their was any way Donald wouldn't be picked by Tampa Bay and Lovie, or the Giants. I also felt that Martin would be a prime target for the Giants. Martin was one of the Rams top players, as was Donald. But 11 teams had other players they rated higher. Just about every 4/3 team in the league could use a penetrating DT. For the Rams to be so high on Martin that they would give up picks for him in a loaded draft tells you how much they liked him and he hung around until the Cowboys pick?

Every year there are mid first rounders that should have Been top 5. It is going to be interesting to see if Martin and Mosely would have been some of those players. If so it says good things about the Rams talent evaluation.

I was surprised by the Giants not picking Martin, but they did go OL with their first rounder last year. I didn't think they were more likely to take Donald over anyone else though. I thought it was between Evans and Donald for TB and Evans was higher rated by many pundits.

So really, there wasn't one team that was heavily targeting Donald in the top 12. It was all the teams right behind us that I was worried would trade up for him like Chicago and Dallas. For some reason, they didn't believe the Rams were targeting Donald. Strange.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Do the Rams know what the Rams want to do? They drafted Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey and signed Jared Cook who all fit better with the spread. Now all of the sudden they are a run first team? I'm not so sure. Watkins would have been a fine pick even though I preferred Greg.

Think about what happened. They tried that wide open passing attack and it failed. Fisher said, enough of that. And from the 5th game on he redefined the teams identity. Plugged in Stacy, got the running game going with Saffold, Long, and Wells doing well up front and Fisher took more control of the defense. This draft is clearly in line with that identity. I'm not sure why more people don't see that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The OL Martin selection pick was a very high need...the Rams team may have been better off & much stronger on one of what has been a weak OL unit for a long time. But Aaron Donald was @ this time the best pick available and then some. The Bama LB'er would have been a smart move too....a stronger smarter larger replacement for Dunbar & maybe down the line JL. Both of those picks make perfect sense to me. I am happy with this BPA for some reason usually its not the case. But investing in NFL linemen is very smart.

However even with the pick of GR the OL is has not been upgraded to where it needs to be. Fisher & Snead continue to pressure Boudreau with his WWC's.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Think about what happened. They tried that wide open passing attack and it failed. Fisher said, enough of that. And from the 5th game on he redefined the teams identity. Plugged in Stacy, got the running game going with Saffold, Long, and Wells doing well up front and Fisher took more control of the defense. This draft is clearly in line with that identity. I'm not sure why more people don't see that.
And with Sam throwing behind that running game we'd have been very interesting

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The OL Martin selection pick was a very high need...the Rams team may have been better off & much stronger on one of what has been a weak OL unit for a long time. But Aaron Donald was @ this time the best pick available and then some. The Bama LB'er would have been a smart move too....a stronger smarter larger replacement for Dunbar & maybe down the line JL. Both of those picks make perfect sense to me. I am happy with this BPA for some reason usually its not the case. But investing in NFL linemen is very smart.

However even with the pick of GR the OL is has not been upgraded to where it needs to be. Fisher & Snead continue to pressure Boudreau with his WWC's.
I agree on the OL Barrett Jones remains a question as well as the health of Saffold and Long, As far as sheer numbers go we have enough DB's but we did not really address the safety issue directly. If we get some luck we will get through the year with our thin core of linebackers and if the OL, DB and WR's reach or approach their potential LB will probably be at or near the top of our list for 2015 draft needs.
I will say I loved the Donald pick even though theoretically we could have addressed a need at another position.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

We certainly would have won 2 or 3 more games. You'd think.

That seems to be lost on all the Bradford bashers. Those idiots from Football Outsiders, Cosell, Grantland, Mayock, all have tunnel vision or just love to bash for enjoyment.

And you've got to credit Todd McShay who said he went back and looked at every Bradford throw last year and expected to see a mess, but he said Bradford looked just fine and deserves to be the guy this year.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If Mason comes in and plays like we hope which from the games I watched he should be a great addition and if the OL stays healthy all we need is for the WR's to improve . If Britt adds some leadership and production and Quick improves I see Sam having a great year.I think TA will be very good they have had a whole offseason to assess and create ways to get him the ball in space. I would love to see him occasionally in wideout sets where he can beat his defender with quickness and speed

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We certainly would have won 2 or 3 more games. You'd think.

That seems to be lost on all the Bradford bashers. Those idiots from Football Outsiders, Cosell, Grantland, Mayock, all have tunnel vision or just love to bash for enjoyment.

And you've got to credit Todd McShay who said he went back and looked at every Bradford throw last year and expected to see a mess, but he said Bradford looked just fine and deserves to be the guy this year.
Hell max using that formula there's only one game I don't think we could have won with Sam at QB,on the other hand I also think a lot of people grew up while Sam was gone who might not have if he'd been available,keeping that going this year should produce some pretty nice results.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree on the OL Barrett Jones remains a question as well as the health of Saffold and Long, As far as sheer numbers go we have enough DB's but we did not really address the safety issue directly. If we get some luck we will get through the year with our thin core of linebackers and if the OL, DB and WR's reach or approach their potential LB will probably be at or near the top of our list for 2015 draft needs.
I will say I loved the Donald pick even though theoretically we could have addressed a need at another position.

i'm pretty sure the rams think they addressed it with the alexander selection. questions were raised about the mcdonald selection last year and he turned out to be pretty good. mo seems to fit in with what they want to do, seeing they didn't want to risk not getting him and reached for him in the 4th. they must feel he can contribute.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
IMHO, a more balanced approach is better in the long run. I don't want a "one dimensional" team. Be able to run or pass whenever you want to. Dictate to the defense and keep them honest.

The NFCW is the best div. in the league and all the teams in it have more balanced attacks, play great defense and impose their will on the opposition. I like that. This division is going to be brutal not just against each other, but for teams that we play outside the division as well. I think our pass D is going to be tremendous. Our DL is just going to wreak havoc. Our CB depth and talent is 10x what it was last yr. Those will help the FS position a bit too. But I do have concern Vs. power running teams. Brockers is our only true BIG up front. After he and Langford ... we are more the penetrating type. I hope we don't get mauled and heaven forbid something happens to MB!.

Our Ofense ... well it has enough "talent" at the WR position. QB depth is better than last yr, but we need to keep SB healthy and upright. The OL is the same as the QB. We need luck on the injury front, but I like the first group on paper now than I did last yr. Adding Tre Mason was a great get IMHO. Kid can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. He, Stacy and Benny should be a formidable group and make the "balanced O" easier to achieve.

Health across the board is our biggest worry. We finally have what we need as far as starters to be able to compete with anybody. But depth is critical for us. Some spots are 2 injuries away from disaster. and that be NT, LB, and S on Def. OT, WR and QB on Offense. So as you said, the Robinson pick was a no brainer. I just wish the WR group was not so much a ? for us. Bailey's 4 gm suspension hurts. Will Britt be what he was early on? Weill he stay focused? Will Quick make the jump? Will they use TA correctly? Can Chris Givens get over his mental lapses from last yr? If we can answer those things with a "yes", then I think we are good to go. If not ... Uuugghhhhh.... Also ... Mason will be better as a receiver out of the backfield than what we had last yr.... so there is another dimension to add there. Screens and wheel routes .... he should be dangerous.

I am cautiously optimistic. The talent level we have is far greater than we had 2-3 yrs ago. Even our K/PR options are very very good. So yeah ... it's Ok to feel good...... I just wouldn't bet your mortgage on the whole thing. I have said it before .... injuries ... especially to the OL has stymied the offense as much as anything the past 5-6 yrs. I'm glad we are finally going towards youth to get it built. The aging FA's have come in ... got us excited ... .then ended up on the DL. Depth was lacking and too much $$$ spent to adequately improve the depth. Drafting is the way we need to go from now on.