Wagoner Chat Highlights: They Can Upgrade From Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—My feelings on Watkins are clear. Yes, I believe he’s got No. 1 potential. Yes, I think he is special enough to contribute right away. My opinion doesn’t really matter, though. I think the Rams are interested in him but I get the sense they might be more interested in others as we sit here today.

—Barksdale? They can upgrade, in my opinion. Barksdale played pretty well last year but I still think they could do better and he’s UFA after this year. To my eyes, Smith struggled against bigger, more physical fronts and he gets caught leaning forward too much in pass protection. He’d be fine as a backup, though.

—Prediction for Free Agency? Just that the Rams won’t be very active. If they sign Saffold, that’ll likely be their “big move.” If they lose him, maybe they chase someone else who will get a sizable deal.

—I think Scott Wells returns and the Rams keep developing Barnes and Jones. Not to say they won’t go for another center but it might be in the draft if they do.

—I know the Verner/Rams connection is easy but I don’t see it happening. I just don’t think the Rams spend that kind of money on any FA. Also, while I know Verner played very well under Williams last year, let’s be clear about this: he’s not a physical, press corner that everyone seems to think Williams wants. Now, that doesn’t mean anything in terms of interest in him because Williams obviously knows how to use him but it’s worth keeping in mind.

—I don’t have major concerns about Watkins’ route running and the scouts I spoke with in Indy don’t either. Is he a finished product in that regard? No but you won’t find many WRs who are coming out of college. I don’t mind Lee, though the injuries and drops are a concern but I see Watkins on a level above him on a number of levels. I think you’re guy will still go in the top 15-20 and I wouldn’t be shocked if he turned into a very good NFL player.

—I don’t think Sam Bradford can be labeled a bust now or ever. But I guess that’s all on how you define a bust. A bust, to me, is someone who comes into the league and never does anything and is gone from the league before you even know it. Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell. Sam Bradford won Rookie of the Year. You can say that he was a miss in terms of being the No. 1 overall pick whenever you choose, I get that but he’s not a bust.

—I had a good chat with Stefania Bell, our injury expert here at ESPN in Bristol last week about Long. She says the Rams aren’t being as far fetched as some think in terms of Long’s possible opening day return. I’ll have more on it in a post soon but worth noting. But to answer your question, I agree that you have to consider the possibility he’ll miss time this year, much like you would with Wells at center. To me, this goes back to the importance of Saffold. If you have him, it lessens the load a bit because you basically have three starting caliber OTs on the roster.

—How Would Picking Watkins Reflect on Quick/WR’s? I don’t think it necessarily is a commentary on Quick so much as taking advantage of an opportunity to get a prospect better than any they have had on the roster. But your point is valid and the Rams have been pretty open about this being a big year for Quick. It’s absolutely fair to wonder where he fits in if they do add a top WR in the draft and how he could even reach the potential they say he has if he’s not getting the reps because of a new addition.

—Barr at #13? It’s possible but I still don’t see them spending a first rounder on a linebacker who might not be on the field all three downs.

—Free agents are a crapshoot in general but especially at WR. Other than Vincent Jackson, you haven’t seen many make it. As for the depth of receivers in the class, I get your point and I understand if the Rams waited to take one but as I’ve said and written many times, it’s not about just getting “A” receiver. It’s about getting “THE” receiver, the No. 1 guy that you believe can be a consistent 1,200 yard type the way Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce used to. That isn’t to say a guy drafted in the second or third round can’t become one of those guys but the odds are a little longer than they’d be with a guy like Watkins.

—Timetable on Wells/Dahl? There’s no official timetable. But logically, you’d make moves for cap space so you can spend it in free agency so you’d do something by 3/11. I expect the Rams to part ways with Dahl in the next few days. I think Wells probably sticks around in no small part because of the larger than expected cap increase.

—I don’t expect Finnegan back as a Ram next year.

Read The Rest Of The Chat Highlights

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
—I know the Verner/Rams connection is easy but I don’t see it happening. I just don’t think the Rams spend that kind of money on any FA.

Yes, because they didn't spend that kind of money on Long and Finnegan when they were FA's. Also Snead said that they rather pay for one top tier FA instead of a bunch of cheaper players. Yea...Gonna have to disagree with that one. Also he says he doesn't expect Finny back, which could very well hapen now with the release, so Verner makes even more sense.

Alan

Legend
"I had a good chat with Stefania Bell, our injury expert here at ESPN in Bristol last week about Long. She says the Rams aren’t being as far fetched as some think in terms of Long’s possible opening day return. I’ll have more on it in a post soon but worth noting. But to answer your question, I agree that you have to consider the possibility he’ll miss time this year, much like you would with Wells at center. To me, this goes back to the importance of Saffold. If you have him, it lessens the load a bit because you basically have three starting caliber OTs on the roster."

I really want to read that post when it comes out.

"I don’t expect Finnegan back as a Ram next year."

Both of those are interesting.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
RT's ain't cheap...

I don't think he's giving Barks his due. He played well enough for Saffold to move to G when he came back.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If a guy's not in the top 10 of his position, then I guess any team could "upgrade." But I agree with @mr.stlouis in that J.T. is selling J Barks (yeah, that's right) short. I didn't see very much out of him that made me feel as though he was a weak link. Not in any way, shape, or form.

ZoePNWz.png

towfRO3.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm good with Joe. It's the depth I'm worried about at tackle.

If Long is ready... My biggest concern is guard by far.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Note Rookie Justin Pugh who was the 5th OT taken graded out better than any other rookie OT.

Joe Barksdale is the least of our worries on the Ram OL. Thank you Joe for being here!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm good with Joe. It's the depth I'm worried about at tackle.

If Long is ready... My biggest concern is guard by far.
Not to mention he stays healthy and is RELIABLE. Im very good w/Joe at RT at this point.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with this nugget:
Note Rookie Justin Pugh who was the 5th OT taken graded out better than any other rookie OT.
19th pick in the first round though. The only other OT drafted who made this list is David Bakhtiari (4th round) who pretty much sucked.

So basically, no OT picked after #19 was any good. What does that say to those who think we have any kind of chance of getting a decent OT if we don't draft one in the 1st round?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
19th pick in the first round though. The only other OT drafted who made this list is David Bakhtiari (4th round) who pretty much sucked.

So basically, no OT picked after #19 was any good. What does that say to those who think we have any kind of chance of getting a decent OT if we don't draft one in the 1st round?

So basically the tackles taken early, including the #1 overall sucked ass. What does that say about drafting a tackle early? Works both ways.

Alan

Legend
That's actually not true Tron. You're forgetting Lane johnson and D.J. Fluker who both graded positively. Eric Fisher was injured before the season started so actually, only Luke Joeckel sucked ass. 3 out of 5 of the first round picks played well and that's counting Fisher. NONE of the players picked below #19 played well my friend.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That's actually not true Tron. You're forgetting Lane johnson and D.J. Fluker who both graded positively. Eric Fisher was injured before the season started so actually, only Luke Joeckel sucked ass. 3 out of 5 of the first round picks played well and that's counting Fisher. NONE of the players picked below #19 played well my friend.

Ok you are right. My bad on that. I blame the vodka lol and just not looking close enough. Still think good O-line can be drafted after the 1st round. I think last year was just a bad year in terms of non first round tackles.

Alan

Legend
Could be Tron and it's happened before of course but mostly in the distant past. My point is about the percentages. Pretty low after the first round.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Could be Tron and it's happened before of course but mostly in the distant past. My point is about the percentages. Pretty low after the first round.

Can't argue that, its just logic really, the further down selected, the smaller the chance that they do great. There are exceptions of course, but the earlier a player is selected, the better chance they have of succeeded, due to talent and skill set later picks dont posses. Barks was a 3rd rounder and with some stability and good coaching has done pretty good. He is an exception though and put into the right situation. Thats another big determining factor. Certain teams and coaches can bring out the best in a player more than other. Amendolla was one, Barks was one. Many examples throughout the league. Laurent Robinson when he was with the Cowboys was one also.

More rambling by me lol, but yes, I can't argue against percentages, they are right.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am really looking forward to Barksdale this year. He comes into camp knowing RT is his. Working as a starter with the same position coach all camp will help. Also, Barksdale is 25. To me his best football is yet to come and it would be sort of foolish to go looking for an upgrade at RT when we have other holes on the line.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am really looking forward to Barksdale this year. He comes into camp knowing RT is his. Working as a starter with the same position coach all camp will help. Also, Barksdale is 25. To me his best football is yet to come and it would be sort of foolish to go looking for an upgrade at RT when we have other holes on the line.
Yes, this is one of the least of our problems...Barks, really? He's fine. He was a ? last year, but not this, IMO. His backup...Houston, could be a problem.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
hopefully barksdale is working to get better
He was at Slater's camp last year. Hopefully, he keeps working hard. Hopefully, every player on the team is working hard to get better.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If Saffold bolts and the rams dont draft Mathews or Robinson...it might be a good idea to extend Barksdale this off-season.

If the rams can pickup Zack Martin in the late first it would be great. He is a technician and I believe he would be a solid OT regardless of his "short" arms. Mewhort, a mid 2nd round prospect, should also be targeted. If the rams get both, it would be great