VeteranRamFan day 4 camp report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Day 4 of training camp. It was hot today and humid and as you all have now heard; rain and lighting came rolling in.

Small crowd today. Good for us, easier access to choose camera spots. I was walking around and found Myles at the broadcast booth. Struck up a conversation, took some pics and asked if I could post one to the message board I belonged to? A young kid next to me asked what board, Rams on Demand I told him. “Hey, I belong to that board too!”. And that is how I met @rams24/7. Sharp kid! Loves his team and is very knowledgeable about football. He’s really good with that twitterverse stuff.

Anyways, had a very nice conversation with Myles. Super easy guy to talk to and he not only expresses his opinion well but is a good listener. He said he knows about ROD. When rams24/7 and I left to get to the bleachers I jokingly asked Myles if I could quote him. I hope he knows I was only joking.

So, first day in pads and boy, were these guys hungry for some hitting! We watched Coach Bones and his punt formations with gunners and the cover guys fighting it out. FYI, Nelson Spruce and Pharaoh Cooper were both involved with special teams as was Kupp on returns. I sort of think that Spruce and Cooper are fighting for the same spot and as many have said on here, the one with the special teams skills will win out.

It was at this time that @theduke contacted me and we were able to meet up. I have to say, it has really been nice meeting all these different members at camp. Theduke is one lucky dude if you ask me, he can literally walk to camp from his home. Nice guy, very polite and he also had a good quality camera. It’s OK to have a Cannon, you know.

We were anxiously awaiting the 11x11 to start. When they did we moved up to the bleachers for a better view. I was watching the O line and I think we have something in Jamon Brown. He wasn’t perfect but he did hold his own against Barwin. Whitworth did a good job on Quinn but Quinn also had his day beating our LT. A really good match up. Speaking of Quinn and Barwin, I saw Quinn on the right and left sides but only Barwin on the left. I’ll be posting some picks and you’ll see in one of them TE Higbee is blocking Quinn on the left and he has good leverage against him. If you remember from last year Higbees run blocking was suspect. This is a marked improvement from Higbee.

Sullivan was solid with the exception of one exchange explained later and I’m not sure it was his fault. Our guards were doing some pulling. Saffold was practicing and looked like a veteran guard. I guess he better.

You all know about Easley and his injury. I didn’t see it happen, only the aftermath. I thought it was an ankle.

Sam Rogers is a workhorse. A blue collar kind of guy. He is one tough SOB. Never backs down and is always giving 110%. I hope he makes the team just on his desire alone. I really think Harkey may be on the outs with the versatility that Rogers brings.

Only fumble of the day come on the center exchange with Mannion. There were no interceptions for any QB but I’ll tell you this. No need to worry about our DB’s. They were covering very well. During the red zone offense, I think there were only two completions out of ten or so tries. Goff would have been sacked on one of those completions by Quinn but Quinn let off the gas.

Since I was watching the lines a little more, I missed some of the passes but Spruce laid himself out for one on a crossing route. That got a lot of the fans yelling SPRUUUUCCCE. Yours truly included. Our TE can jump! I made a comment to the guys that those type of plays is what Quick was supposed to do for us. Theduke agreed and pointed out that he did a couple of times but would then disappear. (Editor’s note: The Quick reference was inserted to illicit responses from the likes of LACHAMP46).

Overall a good practice with a good pace. First and second teams and sometimes the third string would get into position quickly for each of their series. Efficiency is the key to these practices and if is demonstrated constantly. I’m liking what I’m seeing and I wish I could express it better. Let’s get @rams24/7 to share his thoughts as he understands and can explain some of the nuance’s of the formations and has the lingo down pretty good.

I don’t know if I can make practice tomorrow but I will try my best. Take care my brothers!
D7K_5213 (2).JPG
D7K_5083 (2).JPG
D7K_5353 (2).JPG

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good job VRF! Nice dig at LACHAMP46!:sneaky:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Thanks again VRF. This is why I come to this board.
You mentioned the jumping ability of a TE. Were you referring to Everett? Hope so.

How did Joyner look at safety?
What about Havs at RG?
I'm curious about those guys who are changing positions.

Keep up the good work.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You mentioned the jumping ability of a TE. Were you referring to Everett? Hope so.

What about Havs at RG?

Keep up the good work.

:LOL::LOL: Man! That's the best avatar, EVER!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thanks again @VeteranRamFan. Really appreciate these reports. So you were there for some of camp last year and you have alluded that things are different (better?) this year. That is exactly the stuff I want to hear about! Anything you can do to elaborate would be awesome!!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Thanks @VeteranRamFan

Interesting point about Jamon Brown looking good. Someone I follow on twitter (either a local reporter or maybe Andy Benoit from MMQB) said that the Rams like how Brown looks at RT as well so good to hear you endorse that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Day 4 of training camp. It was hot today and humid and as you all have now heard; rain and lighting came rolling in.

Small crowd today. Good for us, easier access to choose camera spots. I was walking around and found Myles at the broadcast booth. Struck up a conversation, took some pics and asked if I could post one to the message board I belonged to? A young kid next to me asked what board, Rams on Demand I told him. “Hey, I belong to that board too!”. And that is how I met @rams24/7. Sharp kid! Loves his team and is very knowledgeable about football. He’s really good with that twitterverse stuff.

Anyways, had a very nice conversation with Myles. Super easy guy to talk to and he not only expresses his opinion well but is a good listener. He said he knows about ROD. When rams24/7 and I left to get to the bleachers I jokingly asked Myles if I could quote him. I hope he knows I was only joking.

So, first day in pads and boy, were these guys hungry for some hitting! We watched Coach Bones and his punt formations with gunners and the cover guys fighting it out. FYI, Nelson Spruce and Pharaoh Cooper were both involved with special teams as was Kupp on returns. I sort of think that Spruce and Cooper are fighting for the same spot and as many have said on here, the one with the special teams skills will win out.

It was at this time that @theduke contacted me and we were able to meet up. I have to say, it has really been nice meeting all these different members at camp. Theduke is one lucky dude if you ask me, he can literally walk to camp from his home. Nice guy, very polite and he also had a good quality camera. It’s OK to have a Cannon, you know.

We were anxiously awaiting the 11x11 to start. When they did we moved up to the bleachers for a better view. I was watching the O line and I think we have something in Jamon Brown. He wasn’t perfect but he did hold his own against Barwin. Whitworth did a good job on Quinn but Quinn also had his day beating our LT. A really good match up. Speaking of Quinn and Barwin, I saw Quinn on the right and left sides but only Barwin on the left. I’ll be posting some picks and you’ll see in one of them TE Higbee is blocking Quinn on the left and he has good leverage against him. If you remember from last year Higbees run blocking was suspect. This is a marked improvement from Higbee.

Sullivan was solid with the exception of one exchange explained later and I’m not sure it was his fault. Our guards were doing some pulling. Saffold was practicing and looked like a veteran guard. I guess he better.

You all know about Easley and his injury. I didn’t see it happen, only the aftermath. I thought it was an ankle.

Sam Rogers is a workhorse. A blue collar kind of guy. He is one tough SOB. Never backs down and is always giving 110%. I hope he makes the team just on his desire alone. I really think Harkey may be on the outs with the versatility that Rogers brings.

Only fumble of the day come on the center exchange with Mannion. There were no interceptions for any QB but I’ll tell you this. No need to worry about our DB’s. They were covering very well. During the red zone offense, I think there were only two completions out of ten or so tries. Goff would have been sacked on one of those completions by Quinn but Quinn let off the gas.

Since I was watching the lines a little more, I missed some of the passes but Spruce laid himself out for one on a crossing route. That got a lot of the fans yelling SPRUUUUCCCE. Yours truly included. Our TE can jump! I made a comment to the guys that those type of plays is what Quick was supposed to do for us. Theduke agreed and pointed out that he did a couple of times but would then disappear. (Editor’s note: The Quick reference was inserted to illicit responses from the likes of LACHAMP46).

Overall a good practice with a good pace. First and second teams and sometimes the third string would get into position quickly for each of their series. Efficiency is the key to these practices and if is demonstrated constantly. I’m liking what I’m seeing and I wish I could express it better. Let’s get @rams24/7 to share his thoughts as he understands and can explain some of the nuance’s of the formations and has the lingo down pretty good.

I don’t know if I can make practice tomorrow but I will try my best. Take care my brothers!
View attachment 20752 View attachment 20753 View attachment 20754
Great report as usual Vet!! Glad to see your getting together with a lot of other ROD members That's FANTASTIC! Your reports get me so Pumped-up! I hope we get a report from @rams24/7 too!
I wish we had a lot more photos of the Team in Pads! And I can't wait to get to McVays post-practice-presser!!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great report as usual Vet!! Glad to see your getting together with a lot of other ROD members That's FANTASTIC! Your reports get me so Pumped-up! I hope we get a report from @rams24/7 too!
I wish we had a lot more photos of the Team in Pads! And I can't wait to get to McVays post-practice-presser!!

There's more pics coming. Waiting to get them uploaded. I took over 400 pictures yesterday, spent till 11 last night editing and choosing the best and then spent another hour writing the report.

A labor of love, my Brother.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This dude...got Dani to pose for him.

Not sure if I want to give you kudos :yess:

Or gettin really, really angry...:boxing:

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter

What about Havs at RG?

Keep up the good work.

It seems like we are trying him out at safety a bit, but I saw a lot more Mo Alexander - Cody Davis at safety. I think Joyner is going to be really great at FS. I was telling @VeteranRamFan that my hope is that Joyner can become a FS like Tyrann Mathieu for us. He is a heavy hitter, great in run support, a bit faster than Davis, and he really understands how to read the offense. He does give up size to a lot of TEs that he might match up against, but he holds his own against them.

@VeteranRamFan felt that with all the new blood, we don't have to worry about the back four of the defense, and I said that we don't have to worry about the front seven either! :) Our defense is going to be stout again. If only we can limit Troy Hill's playing time...

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This dude...got Dani to pose for him.

Not sure if I want to give you kudos :yess:

Or gettin really, really angry...:boxing:

Hey, I'm just that harmless, lovable Grandfather type. Although some would call me a dirty old man.

The first one opens the door, the second seems to close it pretty fast.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great report @VeteranRamFan .... you're turning into a grand maester at that
FYI, Nelson Spruce and Pharaoh Cooper were both involved with special teams as was Kupp on returns. I sort of think that Spruce and Cooper are fighting for the same spot and as many have said on here, the one with the special teams skills will win out.
This is a shame if both of these guys are fighting for the same role...and we lose one....
Speaking of Quick...I still keep a lil tabs on him...just to see what he does with Kurt...and Pryor, Doctson, and ...Jamieson....

View: https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/892112446860783616

my hope is that Joyner can become a FS like Tyrann Mathieu for us. He is a heavy hitter, great in run support, a bit faster than Davis,
hmmm, maybe plays faster...shouldn't tho...that's my problem with Cody. I actually expect him to beat Joyner out for FS tho....but he plays slower than he is...and isn't physical enough for a FS

If only we can limit Troy Hill's playing time...
LOL....love your opinions bro...keep 'em coming....

You look at Troy Hill...closely...he can play a lil...

Last edited:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Great report @VeteranRamFan .... you're turning into a grand maester at that
This is a shame if both of these guys are fighting for the same role...and we lose one....
Speaking of Quick...I still keep a lil tabs on him...just to see what he does with Kurt...and Pryor, Doctson, and ...Jamieson....

View: https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/892112446860783616

hmmm, maybe plays faster...shouldn't tho...that's my problem with Cody. I actually expect him to beat Joyner out for FS tho....but he plays slower than he is...and isn't physical enough for a FS

LOL....love your opinions bro...keep 'em coming....

You look at Troy Hill...closely...he can play a lil...

X2 Cody Davis has tons of speed and talent just not Physical enough.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's a "what if" for y'all...

What if the Rams followed Merlin's suggestion? Namely, trade Tavon even though we would have to eat some of his '17 salary.

Yeah, that's right, trade away a player if he doesn't look like he will fit in this new McVay O.

By so doing, the Rams make it possible to retain both a Spruce and a Cooper. Or some other 6th WR. Some WR that can possibly contribute this year and be developed for future starting positions. Or possibly fetching a future juicy 3rd round draft pick in trade?

Depends on the staff perception of Tavon's fit here, of course. If he has an outstanding camp, fuhgeddaboudit! But if not? I like this move.

It would piss me off to cut a promising 6th Ram WR only to see him go elsewhere and start for another team, particularly a team in our division, while we watch Tavon struggle and ride the bench here by midseason.

How about you?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Rams43

funny....I said something similar....but I don't wanna trade Tavon....not until we see what's going on in the new offense....

if he doesn't fit...sure...but we don't know.