Vanilla on purpose?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Playing "vanilla" because... we might see these guys again in the playoffs, so we don't want to tip our hand? It's not like they haven't seen most of the offense's repertoire already on film. Did we play "vanilla" against the Saints, Seahawks, and Chiefs? No. McVay plays to win... nothing less. You can't worry about a possible re-match, in the playoffs, a month from now. He might have reduced his play sheet because he felt certain plays wouldn't be very effective against their defense, but no way did he play "vanilla" against one of the best defenses in the league. That would admit he had no confidence in the offense to be successful. SMH!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm usually skeptical of conspiracy theories such as this one. But playcall conspiracies are my vice. I can't help but to think he is withholding portions of the playbook so there is less tape on certain plays. I understand it's an irrational assumption, but I just can't help but see it this way.

It’s not irrational at all.
Actually makes sense, especially when you consider the Rams may well face the Bears again in the playoffs.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think NO ends up w/ another loss. Either one of the Carolina games or Pittsburgh, who really needs a win down the stretch. That been said, about the thread subject. I don't think he went pure vanilla. But it wouldn't surprise me if many variations of the plays we ran yesterday looks very different when we face the Bears again.(And we will.....) Yesterday was a bad loss, don't get me wrong. But I would rather get a wake up call during the regular season instead of one like last year against Atlanta. But that loss yesterday isn't the end of the world. So....Prime Time (tough nooggies big boy....) We are moving on the Philly. Sunday night can't get here quick enough.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Doubt we were holding back on the playbook. That defense beat our oline consistently and it limits what we can do on offense.

Wish our offense took more opportunities to run the ball and utilize the screen or swing passing game; saw a few opportunities where throwing to Gurley in a swing route could gash some yards and nullify their pass rush.

Playing a defense of the Bears grit requires dunking and dunking as well as playing running the ball frequently; 2-4 yards per carry would've made our conversion rate better

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
After initially stopping Gurley, the Bears resorted to an intermediate zone D. This took out Goff's midrange game, where he can be outstanding.

Counters for this defense include short passes and runs up the gut. Once the Rams establish rhythm against this defensive set, Bears adjust and we can go back to PA schemes. Seattle actually executed this scheme very well against us last game.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm usually skeptical of conspiracy theories such as this one. But playcall conspiracies are my vice. I can't help but to think he is withholding portions of the playbook so there is less tape on certain plays. I understand it's an irrational assumption, but I just can't help but see it this way.

tumblr_inline_nk94d6e2DD1tnkzic.gif

TexasRam

Legend
The Game was only Vanilla in terms of what Mcvay thought could potentially work vs what the Bears were presenting.

There is very slim margin for error vs a great defense. Once you add the cold, the noise, the protection breakdowns and the WR errors it looked bad.

We will beat them in LA.

…..

Legend
I think its more likely that there was a flu epidemic in the locker room after the previous game and it affected everyone but the DB's

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What's the difference between this and thinking we are gonna go 16-0 and win the SB? Just as ridiculous imo
At least 16-0 with a super bowl win is positive. That's the difference. It was discussed by mods on another thread. We aren't here the be negative. It's a positive refuge from people who lose their shit after every loss.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
At least 16-0 with a super bowl win is positive. That's the difference. It was discussed by mods on another thread. We aren't here the be negative. It's a positive refuge from people who lose their crap after every loss.

I'm saying it's just as delusional

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This was looking like a tough game. It didn’t go how we expected and Goff had a bad night... but, we lost by a small margin, were in the game for a long period and the bears at home in December is a historically tough ask...,

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I almost never believe theories like this, but this time, I think it's possible. I've never seen a gameplan from McVay that was so predictable and used so little misdirection.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think its more likely that there was a flu epidemic in the locker room after the previous game and it affected everyone but the DB's

Yeah last week McVay and Goff were sick. Makes you wonder ... Same thing happened to the Rams in 99