Vanilla on purpose?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Andrewjm

UDFA
Name
Andrew
Not here to give any excuses for last night, but I think many of us who watch this team week in and week out would agree this was the most vanilla offensive game plan since the preseason, and before then, last years week 17 game against the niners.

I personally don’t think that’s a coincidence. Very possible McVay is not showing his hand, and is banking on winning 2 of the next 3 to get that first round bye and possible 1 seed. Certainly takes the fun out of watching these remaining games, but coaching is all about strategy, and we know he’s had his sights set on the postseason since the offseason.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm usually skeptical of conspiracy theories such as this one. But playcall conspiracies are my vice. I can't help but to think he is withholding portions of the playbook so there is less tape on certain plays. I understand it's an irrational assumption, but I just can't help but see it this way.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
I'm usually skeptical of conspiracy theories such as this one. But playcall conspiracies are my vice. I can't help but to think he is withholding portions of the playbook so there is less tape on certain plays. I understand it's an irrational assumption, but I just can't help but see it this way.

Just speaks to the faith we all have in McVay lol

It makes no logical sense for the Rams not to have attacked the middle of the field last night. Remember the missed throw to Woods? He was wide open why not go back to that?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think you are dreaming to believe that. This game was important. I understand maybe not playing an ace or two if you think you might face Chicago in the playoffs... but that performance was more than just holding back a few key tricks. And we did fake a punt, so it certainly seems the Rams we willing to go into their bag of tricks. If McVay was holding stuff back to the point that was the offense we witnessed, he should be fired.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way , unless they want to try and win in NO . I don't think the Saints lose again anyway .

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Straws? This is straight “cracked out of your mind”.

At this point in the season EVERY win is important.

janthony6

UDFA
Last 4 super bowl winners all played a regular season game where they didn’t score a TD.

We were just keeping the trend alive.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If McVay was holding stuff back to the point that was the offense we witnessed, he should be fired.
This right here is why they put the "Think before you post....." in the comment box. And you all are calling the OP crazy??????

Andrewjm

UDFA
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, and even though I bring this up, I’m not in favor of this logic either. And normally not a conspiracy guy. Just seemed like such vanilla play. Maybe it just really was the weather and failed execution.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This right here is why they put the "Think before you post....." in the comment box. And you all are calling the OP crazy??????

What's the difference between this and thinking we are gonna go 16-0 and win the SB? Just as ridiculous imo

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And our Rams should not lose either, 14-2 and a bye
train

I agree with that , but it still sends them to NO if they make it past the first round . That was my point about vanilla offense . No way that's the case .

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Occam's Razor.

McVay just had an off night. He never got into his rhythm as a playcaller, and thus, neither did his offense.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
giphy.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This game was important.

I agree it was important.

There are three games against weak opponents left. There is NO room for error and we have to hope the Saints drop one game.

McVay just had an off night. He never got into his rhythm as a playcaller, and thus, neither did his offense.

The big thing for me is "will he stop doing this" because if he doesn't we are going to see Goff get roughed up each week as the defense attacks him. There has to be the threat of a draw play gashing them for a big play or a well timed screen. If he keeps dialing up 7 step drops at this rate the Rams are going to be easier to figure out for a good defensive team. And pretty much all of the teams entering the post season will have good to excellent defenses.

NO
CHI
DAL
SEA

All of those teams are top 10 defenses with CHI and DAL being 2 and 3. If McVay calls a game like he did last night in the playoffs, home or road won't matter the Rams will struggle and reduce their chances.

nighttrain

Legend
I agree with that , but it still sends them to NO if they make it past the first round . That was my point about vanilla offense . No way that's the case .
Saints still have two tough games against Cam Newton....Easy to lose one of these....
train

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Saints still have two tough games against Cam Newton....Easy to lose one of these....
train

Have you watched the Panthers lately? They've lost 5 straight including yesterday's loss to the Browns. I would be shocked if they beat the Saints. Cam Newton looks hurt and the whole team is reeling.

nighttrain

Legend
Have you watched the Panthers lately? They've lost 5 straight including yesterday's loss to the Browns. I would be shocked if they beat the Saints. Cam Newton looks hurt and the whole team is reeling.
This is when the Rams under Fisher would come together and knock off the Hawks
train