Upon Further Review....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Watched several preseason games I had taped.
I would not consider someone like Mallett, who has looked terrible.
Washington will not trade Cousins considering RGs injury history (the irony....) and his lackluster play.
The Eagles would rake the Rams over the coals for one of their QBs as would the Jets for Vick....everyone would consider a trade for a "name" vet the act of a desperate team and overcharge considerably.
I dont see any of the vets coming in and being a major upgrade over Hill. I certainly would not trade a high pick (a first or second or third) for a vet guy like Vick or Sanchez.
The ONE GUY I would seriously consider trading for is McGloin from Oakland. Very impressive to me.
Pretty clean mechanics, quick release, pretty accurate. He is a little undersized. Who he reminds me of is Brees in San Diego, before he got dumped and blew up in New Orleans.
I would trade a third rounder for this guy. I think he has a future, if not as a long term starter then certainly as a quality back up guy.
If the Rams were to take a flyer on a guy this would be the one I would choose.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think a 3rd rnd pick would be high for a 3rd string qb.
Carr is clearly the 2 over there. Maybe the starter this season.

The more I calm down and relax, the more comfortable I am with Hill.
My biggest concern with Hill would be his ability to hold up over 16 games. I know I have no real merit to think that way, but it's there. I don't think hes ever been a starter for a full season. At 34, it's just something that's on my mind.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a 3rd rnd pick would be high for a 3rd string qb.
Carr is clearly the 2 over there. Maybe the starter this season.

The more I calm down and relax, the more comfortable I am with Hill.
My biggest concern with Hill would be his ability to hold up over 16 games. I know I have no real merit to think that way, but it's there. I don't think hes ever been a starter for a full season. At 34, it's just something that's on my mind.
Yeah, maybe a fourth.
McGloin has outplayed Carr. Carr is clearly the 2nd because of draft position ect.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Haven't had the chance to watch Fisher's presser yet but didn't he say we're gonna rally around Hill? God forbid Hill goes down I think we'd be wise to just give Davis or Gilbert a shot rather than go and throw away a pick on another QB who likely wouldn't be around after this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A 3rd rounder for McGloin is desperation talking imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
McGloin has a weak arm. Sure he is a 'gamer' but that is exactly what Sean Hill is, only younger. As a PSU fan I have seen plenty of Matt McGloin and I was surprised he made an NFL team with his arm and decision making. He would be worth a look, but not for a third rounder. If they are desperate they could offer a 6th.

fearsomefour

Legend
Haven't had the chance to watch Fisher's presser yet but didn't he say we're gonna rally around Hill? God forbid Hill goes down I think we'd be wise to just give Davis or Gilbert a shot rather than go and throw away a pick on another QB who likely wouldn't be around after this year.
Well thats the rub I guess.
I think spending picks on an old vet like Vick or Sanchez to back up an old vet like Hill seems silly.
I think McGloin has a future. I think he will be a starter in the NFL, that would be the justification for a trade, not this year but as a longer term option....either as a backup or possible starter.

fearsomefour

Legend
McGloin has a weak arm. Sure he is a 'gamer' but that is exactly what Sean Hill is, only younger. As a PSU fan I have seen plenty of Matt McGloin and I was surprised he made an NFL team with his arm and decision making. He would be worth a look, but not for a third rounder. If they are desperate they could offer a 6th.
His arm is stronger this year. Oakland would not move him for that low a pick I think.
There are people in their FO that are pretty high on him.
Same "insider" who told me what a steal Barksdale was really talked up his throwing program this offseason to build his arm strength. But, you are right, that is the knock on him, that and being a bit undersized.

fearsomefour

Legend
A 3rd rounder for McGloin is desperation talking imo.
A third rounder is over paying certainly. I would rather move a third rounder for him than a third or second for someone like Sanchez...but, that is personal preference I guess.
Frankly, trying to find a QB is always desperation time. Paying a solid but not great vet millions, trading away draft picks to move up, taking someone with a first round pick with glaring holes in their game....teams do this stuff every year. I like McGloin, thats all I am saying, I think he can play.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Well thats the rub I guess.
I think spending picks on an old vet like Vick or Sanchez to back up an old vet like Hill seems silly.
I think McGloin has a future. I think he will be a starter in the NFL, that would be the justification for a trade, not this year but as a longer term option....either as a backup or possible starter.

Yeah I agree. There are young backups out there that we could get if it really comes down to it. There's still plenty of time to figure those things out if we really need to. I can see us sticking with what we have right now through. If another injury comes up then we'll need a solution.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His arm is stronger this year. Oakland would not move him for that low a pick I think.
There are people in their FO that are pretty high on him.
Same "insider" who told me what a steal Barksdale was really talked up his throwing program this offseason to build his arm strength. But, you are right, that is the knock on him, that and being a bit undersized.

Then why did they trade for Schaub and draft Carr after McGloin started a bunch of games last year? That doesn't add up imo.

A third rounder is over paying certainly. I would rather move a third rounder for him than a third or second for someone like Sanchez...but, that is personal preference I guess.
Frankly, trying to find a QB is always desperation time. Paying a solid but not great vet millions, trading away draft picks to move up, taking someone with a first round pick with glaring holes in their game....teams do this stuff every year. I like McGloin, thats all I am saying, I think he can play.

Nobody here is advocating that. Anything more than a 6th or 7th for McGloin is overpaying imo.

BKBISTRO

UDFA
I'm a PSU alum and agree that we should take a flier on McGloin - anywhere from a 5th to a 7th round pick. The guy tends to be clutch.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get the need to dumpster dive for a QB. We are a ground and pound team, with play action thrown in. Our QB can deliver the ball, on time to Quick and Britt...My God, WE ARE GOING TO BE GOOD! Just back away from the ledge, and lets keep our powder dry for the 2015 Draft....We know a QB is in our future next draft, probably in the 1st round....But lets consider this season, and what we can be.

fearsomefour

Legend
Then why did they trade for Schaub and draft Carr after McGloin started a bunch of games last year? That doesn't add up imo.

Nobody here is advocating that. Anything more than a 6th or 7th for McGloin is overpaying imo.
I never said they were people in positions to make decisions, haha.
Keep in mind also it is an organization still full of rifts.....see Saffold fiasco.
But, this is coming from one guy I know. Is he speaking for himself and one other guy or half the organization, I dont know.
Regarding what McGloin is "worth", again, you are probably right. What I am saying is I, just me, would rather overpay a bit for him than a guy like Vick or Sanchez.
It would depend what the plan was going forward draft wise. Assuming the Rams have a decent season the option of drafting a mid to mid late first rounder on a QB or burning picks to move up is not super appealing.
If the Rams get a guy with a future for a 4th rounder (just an example) then it is not overpaying.
The track record has not been impressive via the draft.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Truth is there really is not a guy out there that is much better than Hill, except maybe Vick and I'm doubt there comfortable with Smith.

We move on with Hill and maybe even work in Davis at some point to see if we have anything with him.

The Jets won 8 games last year with no QB, we can do the same and look how we did last year with Clemmens! If this team is truly getting better the there is no reason we can't still have a great year. Hill is an upgrade. So like C Long has already said. Next Man Up. No more excuses for this team, time to get it done

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said they were people in positions to make decisions, haha.
Keep in mind also it is an organization still full of rifts.....see Saffold fiasco.
But, this is coming from one guy I know. Is he speaking for himself and one other guy or half the organization, I dont know.
Regarding what McGloin is "worth", again, you are probably right. What I am saying is I, just me, would rather overpay a bit for him than a guy like Vick or Sanchez.
It would depend what the plan was going forward draft wise. Assuming the Rams have a decent season the option of drafting a mid to mid late first rounder on a QB or burning picks to move up is not super appealing.
If the Rams get a guy with a future for a 4th rounder (just an example) then it is not overpaying.
The track record has not been impressive via the draft.

I'd rather move forward with Hill and draft someone than overpay. But I don't share your optimism with McGloin. I think he's more a backup than a future starter. I might be willing to go for a 4th or a 3rd on a guy like Glennon due to his upside but I'd have to review his film before I felt fully comfortable in that.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd rather move forward with Hill and draft someone than overpay. But I don't share your optimism with McGloin. I think he's more a backup than a future starter. I might be willing to go for a 4th or a 3rd on a guy like Glennon due to his upside but I'd have to review his film before I felt fully comfortable in that.
Thank goodness they signed Hill.
It is interesting to compare thoughts on these guys. Glennon was ok in his starts, but, certainly could have the potential to be a long term starter, but, has a way to go. He has the size that McGloin does not.
I understand the appeal of drafting a guy. The Rams have not had much success with this.....most teams are in the same boat. Being able to trade for a guy like Glennon or McGloin or whover that has a couple of years under their belt of NFL experience (even if it is not starting experience) may be a way to shorten the learning curve....you know a little more what you are getting. So, it all comes down to projection. Trading, say a 4th or 5th round pick for a guy who has a couple of years of time under his belt vs. drafting a guy in the 4th or 5th round to develop....really comes down to projection. McGloin to me has some projection to him as Glennon may as well.
At some point I would like to hear your thoughts on some guys you like that are similar....young QBs that have been in the NFL for a year or two that have some "projection" to them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank goodness they signed Hill.
It is interesting to compare thoughts on these guys. Glennon was ok in his starts, but, certainly could have the potential to be a long term starter, but, has a way to go. He has the size that McGloin does not.
I understand the appeal of drafting a guy. The Rams have not had much success with this.....most teams are in the same boat. Being able to trade for a guy like Glennon or McGloin or whover that has a couple of years under their belt of NFL experience (even if it is not starting experience) may be a way to shorten the learning curve....you know a little more what you are getting. So, it all comes down to projection. Trading, say a 4th or 5th round pick for a guy who has a couple of years of time under his belt vs. drafting a guy in the 4th or 5th round to develop....really comes down to projection. McGloin to me has some projection to him as Glennon may as well.
At some point I would like to hear your thoughts on some guys you like that are similar....young QBs that have been in the NFL for a year or two that have some "projection" to them.

My personal opinion is that Glennon, Cousins, and McGloin are probably the three best options out there excluding the rookies. Although, Ryan Griffin has some intrigue.

We'd probably be best off drafting a guy. But I haven't really scouted any of the QBs that will be available so I can't offer much commentary on them yet.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless they want to pay BOB I I I prices for a real starter type there not going to find anyone better than Hill. And I'm fine with that. He can win some games. But it's the next man up thing that's the question. How comfortable are the Rams with Davis as the being the next man up?
I'm fine with Davis my self, he knows the offense and has some flexibility in him that he can run some read option and pistol elements.
One guy I would pay a late rounder for as a backup is Chase Daniel.

Rambition

Rookie
i think the rams should stay the course with shaun hill and austin davis. however, if they do feel the need to acquire another QB, the guy i think would be worth "a flier" would be chase daniel from KC, as yamahopper mentioned.