Until the OL gels, Sun Tzu for the win.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
In the long run, the Rams will need the OL to gel if they hope to repeat.

Right now, though, they’re trying to find the right mix after a retirement, a FA departure, and some injuries. As they do, they must find a way to win.

Time to return to Sun Tzu.

“All warfare is based on deception.” And thus, when faced with superior forces, you may need to evade, misdirect, and confuse.

We’ve done it before. Before Matthew Stafford’s arrival, we incorporated formations and plays designed to keep opposing DLs off balance, rather than confronting them head to head.

We may need to dust off those jet sweeps, double screens, designed rollouts and bootlegs.

This is a short term solution yo get Ws. By playoff time, a “cute” and “tricky” offense won’t, by itself, be enough. We’ll need to be able to win at the LOS without chicanery.

For now, though, we need to find a way to keep winning games while OL finds its way. Sun Tzu the shit out of those opponents.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78

Right now, though, they’re trying to find the right mix after a retirement, a FA departure, and some injuries. As they do, they must find a way to win.

“All warfare is based on deception.” And thus, when faced with superior forces, you may need to evade, misdirect, and confuse.

We’ve done it before. Before Matthew Stafford’s arrival, we incorporated formations and plays designed to keep opposing DLs off balance, rather than confronting them head to head.

We may need to dust off those jet sweeps, double screens, designed rollouts and bootlegs.

This is a short term solution yo get Ws. By playoff time, a “cute” and “tricky” offense won’t, by itself, be enough. We’ll need to be able to win at the LOS without chicanery.

For now, though, we need to find a way to keep winning games while OL finds its way. Sun Tzu the shit out of those opponents.
Last week was Rocky 3, now it's Gordon Gecko. :laugh1:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
More like "Killer Klowns From Outere Space"

killer klowns from outer space GIF

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
A couple years back when the Oline looked liked crap, we had to run Goff on bootlegs and similar because we couldn't create a clean pocket for him. Goff actually exceled in that approach. Lucky for us, Stafford is a great passer on the run as well. So may be worth dusting off those old plays as well

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
As much as I hate to say it, Belichick "Sun Tzu'd the shit" out of McVay in SB 53. Belichick lined up with fronts they hadn't shown all year, and played an entirely new coverage.

My point being-- even when a team reaches the top, they still sometimes resort to trickery and deception. (And yeah the Pats go even further to downright cheating, but that's another matter).

Anyway... I love it how McVay can occasionally mix it up. Putting Skowronek at FB was a brand new wrinkle, and it sure looked like it paid off.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Creativity in the run game requires reps that are more difficult to execute when you are regularly swapping in new players. The injuries could lead to the need for a less varied scheme to promote better execution. My point is, it won't be easy to accomplish what they need to do.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Creativity in the run game requires reps that are more difficult to execute when you are regularly swapping in new players. The injuries could lead to the need for a less varied scheme to promote better execution. My point is, it won't be easy to accomplish what they need to do.
I’d watch for false starts and illegal procedure penalties due to those issues. Still, I think it’s worth scheming down the OL’s overall degree of difficulty.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

Second half of 2019...roll that QB out!

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
It never works long term. Sure 1 or 2 times it might.

The only way to have a good and consistent run game is to have offensive lineman that can block.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It never works long term. Sure 1 or 2 times it might.

The only way to have a good and consistent run game is to have offensive lineman that can block.
The strategy I’m referring to is not limited to the run game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Deception is one of the keys in NFL offenses today, anyway, is it not?

Also, I'd actually disagree with the premise when we're talking about the line as it is currently constructed. I think they're in better shape for pretty basic run packages than they were to start the season. Shelton and Jackson are a more powerful twosome than Allen and Shelton.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Deception is one of the keys in NFL offenses today, anyway, is it not?
To a degree, sure. But, right now, as the OL works to become a unit, I think it will become a bigger part of the offensive strategy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
To a degree, sure. But, right now, as the OL works to become a unit, I think it will become a bigger part of the offensive strategy.

Gotcha. I disagree.
But it will be very hard to quantify, imo. Teams change and evolve during a season and deception is already part of what the Rams do. What will actually be different that we could pin on changes to the Oline?

Jackson and Shelton both had excellent games. It's easy to say, sure, it was the Falcons.. but they pressured the Saints MUCH more than they did the Rams. I imagine teams will look for ways to attack Jackson.. going straight at him isn't the answer, imo.. so I'd expect more stunts on pass plays.. hoping that would lead to confusion.
But on run plays? Jackson isn't as nimble... so that probably takes some plays out of the mix.. but, as mentioned.. they're more powerful inside now.. so that adds plays to the mix inside.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Gotcha. I disagree.
But it will be very hard to quantify, imo. Teams change and evolve during a season and deception is already part of what the Rams do. What will actually be different that we could pin on changes to the Oline?

Jackson and Shelton both had excellent games. It's easy to say, sure, it was the Falcons.. but they pressured the Saints MUCH more than they did the Rams. I imagine teams will look for ways to attack Jackson.. going straight at him isn't the answer, imo.. so I'd expect more stunts on pass plays.. hoping that would lead to confusion.
But on run plays? Jackson isn't as nimble... so that probably takes some plays out of the mix.. but, as mentioned.. they're more powerful inside now.. so that adds plays to the mix inside.
There are many ways to take the pressure off the OL through playcalling. It’s not just a question of stunts and other OL configurations/techniques.

Quick throws, rollouts, screens, sweeps, motion, play action, etc., etc, etc.

If the line was better, some of that would be unnecessary (or at least, less necessary). Right now, though…

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There are many ways to take the pressure off the OL through playcalling. It’s not just a question of stunts and other OL configurations/techniques.

Quick throws, rollouts, screens, sweeps, motion, play action, etc., etc, etc.

If the line was better, some of that would be unnecessary (or at least, less necessary). Right now, though…
The line was excellent in pass pro on Sunday.
What are we talking about here?