Under Boras, Groh, Rams Adjust Offensive Scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Under Boras, Groh, Rams Adjust Offensive Scheme

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

The Rams have completed their offseason program, one that saw plenty of changes to the club’s offense. There are the obvious adjustments — a No. 1 overall pick at quarterback among them. But there are also some questions that likely will not have complete answers until a few weeks into the regular season.

The most obvious — what does the Los Angeles’ revamped offense look like?

It’s no secret the Rams needed to upgrade the unit after finishing No. 32 in both total and passing offense in 2015. With strides made in the last quarter of the season, Rob Boras remains in place, now as the full-time offensive coordinator. But in order to foster more improvement, the Rams also brought in Mike Groh from Chicago to be the team’s passing-game coordinator.

“I think a simple explanation is exactly how it sounds,” Groh said of his role during OTAs. “I was brought in to help refine and to add some ideas in the passing game to an existing offense — an offense that’s had success running the football.

“Obviously, there are a lot of pieces here,” Groh continued. “But we needed to complete some things throwing the ball, improving in that area. And so coach has kind of put me in charge of doing that in conjunction of working with Rob and through Rob as the offensive coordinator, and trying to put this whole thing together.”

As Groh put it, the Rams’ offensive situation may be unconventional, but, so far, it’s working because of the good-natured relationships between the coaches.

“Most teams and organizations don’t have a specific passing-game coordinator. But it’s been a lot of fun. The responsibility of it has been fun for me,” Groh said. “Working with Rob has been a lot of fun — getting to know him, getting to know our players, and putting the two systems together, and blending the two systems together so we can be successful on Sundays and win a lot of games.”

“Mike Groh has been very impressive,” Boras said. “I had spent six years in Chicago and had a number of friends who were still within the organization. And their recommendations were outstanding. Mike’s a teacher. Mike’s demanding.”

Groh has worked in a number of offensive systems, most recently those utilized with the Bears under former head coach Marc Trestman and former offensive coordinator Adam Gase. Part of the expectation is that Groh will be able to import and incorporate many of those ideas into the Rams’ offensive system.

“Mike has been successful everywhere he’s been — whether it’s been in Chicago with the players, Alabama, back at Virginia,” Boras said. “He has his belief system. He was able to bring some new ideas for our pass game. And it’s been real fun as the wide receivers coach and the pass-game coordinator — the role that he’s filling — [for me] to sit in the back of his meetings and, again, to watch a guy teach and coach his players.”

Of course, with reigning AP Offensive Rookie of the Year Todd Gurley, Los Angeles’ offense will still revolve around the run game. But there is an ongoing concerted effort to make sure the Rams will not become too one dimensional.

“We’ve got probably the premier running back in the league, [so] we’re going to run the football. We’re going to protect the football,” Boras said. “But we also understand you have to be explosive to score points in this league. And we have explosive players. So we’re going to have to find a way to generate that both through the as well as handing Todd the ball in the run game.”

“We’re going to get the ball spread around a little bit more,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s going to all focus off the run game. But we’re going to be able to … hand it off to Todd. And if someone says, ‘We’re not going to let you do that,’ then we’re going to spread it around.”

Players noted varying degrees of difference in the offense during OTAs, with some describing subtle adjustments and others noting more wholesale changes.

“You know, there are some tweaks. A lot of it is similar,” quarterback Case Keenum said. “The verbiage is a little bit different, so there’s some studying to go there. There’s always little nuances within routes, whether it’s stems or different adjustments into different coverages. And I think those are important, especially right now during OTAs, to get those details down.”

“Just lining up everywhere — I think that’s the main thing for me, is just kind of getting used to the offense because before, I was mainly the wide tight end. Now, I could be anywhere,” tight end Lance Kendricks said. “So for me, it’s a big challenge, but it’s also going to be fun — just being able to do a little bit of everything. It’s going to really challenge my game because going from run blocking to playing out wide is just two different things. But I’m up for the challenge.”

Retaining Boras as offensive coordinator does foster a sense of continuity that should be helpful as the Rams head into training camp.

“For me, not much [has been different] because I’m so used to him and just him being in the room,” Kendricks said. “It’s not overwhelming at all. It’s just kind of a sigh of relief, almost. It takes the pressure off of us as a tight end unit, because we know what to expect from him, personally. So it’s kind of fun.”

“I love coach Boras,” Gurley said. “He’s just so relaxed. He’s like, ‘Don’t let me tell you where to run. You just do what you do.’ He’s definitely a good coach. He’s got great concepts. Love the things he’s doing. Great communicator. He gets feedback of what I see on the field or what I actually like, so that’s always good for a coach to do to be able to work with the players. So, I’m definitely excited to have him.”

And so while we really won’t know what the offense looks like for another couple months, we do know that under Boras and Groh, the team is focused on signifiant, tangible improvement.

“We finished last in offense, so we can only go up from here,” Kendricks said. “I think we’ve all just got to raise our level of expectations.”

If the offense raises its level of execution as well, it will provide a good path for the Rams to make the 2016 season successful.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, I hope they can find ways to get Tavon Austin the ball in space. He's one of the most exposive offensive players in the league. Gurley and Austin make a great combo, but the other receivers have got to contribute as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I personally can't wait until pre-season starts so we can see what the actual possibilities are!(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But we also understand you have to be explosive to score points in this league. And we have explosive players.
For all the guys that want 5 yard routes.....this is as plain as it gets...you can't go 3 yards a play and score. Too many things can go wrong. Hell, thats Williams defense in a nutshell.

“You know, there are some tweaks. A lot of it is similar,” quarterback Case Keenum said. “The verbiage is a little bit different, so there’s some studying to go there. There’s always little nuances within routes, whether it’s stems or different adjustments into different coverages. And I think those are important, especially right now during OTAs, to get those details down.”
Oh boy, hope this isn't bad for my boy Quick. I hope it's not written in Latin:unsure::homer:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It's too bad they use last years offensive numbers to start us off this season. Maybe we can climb up to 30 from there. Huh, fellas?....(n)

Oh wait. Everyone starts off at zero, you say? So you mean, the Rams are tied with Green Bay and New England for first place right now?

It's all how you look at things, people. If I were Boras and Groh, I would be setting goals to be number 1 in offense this year. I hope that is how they see things. Not to "scratch our way up from the bottom". I would quickly kill off that loser mentality. Will the Rams finish #1 in offense? Maybe not. But they will sure finish a lot higher believing they will.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars."

jap

Legend
I personally can't wait until pre-season starts so we can see what the actual possibilities are!(y);):D

I strongly suspect we won't see too much of the changes during the pre-season . . . it will be mostly plain vanilla. However, come Game One the '9ers will see a whole ton of changes.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I strongly suspect we won't see too much of the changes during the pre-season . . . it will be mostly plain vanilla. However, come Game One the '9ers will see a whole ton of changes.
I don't think we will need to be much more than "Vanilla" to take care of the Whiners on opening Day! ;)
BUT come our Home opener against the 'Hags, I expect to see a lot!!:yess::D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Actually teaching the pass catchers, not being afraid to throw more at them, expecting them to run exact routes and know what they're doing, and having high expectations? WTF is going on around here!?

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Close. It's actually Norman Vincent Peale. Sounds terrible, but I love the quote. Just not a fan of the quoter. I still should give attribution.
jus joshin ya a little Snowy on acount weez buddies and all.:D

Ram65

Legend
“Just lining up everywhere — I think that’s the main thing for me, is just kind of getting used to the offense because before, I was mainly the wide tight end. Now, I could be anywhere,” tight end Lance Kendricks said. “So for me, it’s a big challenge, but it’s also going to be fun — just being able to do a little bit of everything. It’s going to really challenge my game because going from run blocking to playing out wide is just two different things. But I’m up for the challenge.”

This is very interesting. Kendricks not my first choice to work outside. I'm thinking the rookies TE Higbee and Hemmingway would be a nice mismatches here. Rams offense shaking things up. It may take another year to really take off but it should be fun seeing some big improvements this year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well, I hope they can find ways to get Tavon Austin the ball in space. He's one of the most exposive offensive players in the league. Gurley and Austin make a great combo, but the other receivers have got to contribute as well.
I love seeing the ball in his hands, but I also think TA needs to take some initiative on getting open.
He's dangerous, but he needs to do more than show off.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We will be much improved on O but of course I think a few rookies will be in play so expect some growing pains along the way.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I fully expect a frustrating offense that is forced by its inexperience to keep the playbook simple and will at times get its ass kicked.

But I also expect an improved offense and one that progresses towards NFL middle of the pack by the end of the season.
So as long as our D does what it should, we should have a competitive first year in LA.
Next year? I expect the Rams offense to feature a strong O line, a top 3 RB and an exciting passing attack with a young up and coming QB to push the Rams deep into the playoffs.
That's honestly my kool-aid free best case scenario and I'm excited to watch it all play itself out.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Really?? Really?? People say this every year. "we won't see anything in the preseason but once the real season starts it's lights out." Either things change or they don't. If the offense does not look different and better in preseason then it ain't going to magically turn around once the season starts.

The Rams have needed an OC since Fisher came on board. Now it finally looks like the Rams are getting the right people in there so I am hopeful.

Quote: “We finished last in offense, so we can only go up from here,” Kendricks said. “I think we’ve all just got to raise our level of expectations.” Kinda sounds like this just confirms what JL was saying a few weeks ago.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I fully expect a frustrating offense that is forced by its inexperience to keep the playbook simple and will at times get its ass kicked.
Totally agree. I think the offense will be similar to what it was in 2010 when we rebooted at QB with Sam. The talent is better on this team than it was then, so hopefully they can manage to win more than 7 games. Next year is when I see the big jump in productivity on offense.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Really?? Really?? People say this every year. "we won't see anything in the preseason but once the real season starts it's lights out." Either things change or they don't. If the offense does not look different and better in preseason then it ain't going to magically turn around once the season starts.
Agree here as well. the Rams can not afford to play "vanilla" offense in the preseason. That is the best chance to get the young players some valuable game experience and work on timing and routes in the new system. I am not saying show everything in the playbook, but at least run something that resembles the desired scheme.The Putriots can afford to play vanilla. They know what their offense is and will be. The Rams? Not so much.