TST: Tavon Austin has mad skills

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
This was a lot of great information. I'm excited. I think Alexander emerges. So does Joyner.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Someone made a breakdown of all his deep patterns in his career, and the point was: he can get open deep, and at least scare people....frequently the ball wasn't there

jap

Legend
Someone made a breakdown of all his deep patterns in his career, and the point was: he can get open deep, and at least scare people....frequently the ball wasn't there

That's because one needs a QB with sufficient arm strength and accuracy to find a tiny target like Tavon behind the DB 'trees'. Nick Foles and Case were missing one or the other of these needed attributes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His speed doesn't get him open much, but his route running does and his fight will win almost every time.

It's the opposite for Britt. He's fast but not a quality route runner. He's a big guy with long strides who can get vertical but his inconsistent route running mechanics make him a completely unreliable target in the short to intermediate game. He's at his best on vertical and speed cuts. He doesn't separate well when asked to make hard angle breaks. Plus, his tendency to body-catch doesn't help him on shorter range throws. He uses his body well 1-on-1 on deep throws which makes up for the body-catching.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's because one needs a QB with sufficient arm strength and accuracy to find a tiny target like Tavon behind the DB 'trees'. Nick Foles and Case were missing one or the other of these needed attributes.

So does Goff. He's not accurate deep. Britt's going to be his deep ball man because he can fight for the ball, IMHO.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was gonna like his post until he said that. Tavon is very much a deep threat. We saw that in the opening game when he had Sherman beat by 5 yards but foles was 3 seconds late with the throw, as per usual, and Sherman was all over him. He won't have that problem with Goff.

TA will get open deep. He's quick off the line and can break ankles with his moves.

He's not top speed fast and that's according to him. If the Rams' O skill players did a 60 yard dash, he'd be in the middle of the pack by the 60.

Here you can see what he was talking about. He bursts through the crowd but in the last 30 yards every player with him is going as fast or faster than him:

Austin3.gif

Cook is faster. When they are both straight line running between the opposing 40 and 20, Cookie was gaining on him and had to slow to get around him and make his knucklehead illegal block.

Deep attempts to austin almost always fail. If he's not wide open through a move or blown coverage, it's almost 100% blanketed fail.

Compare his deep catches to Britt's. Same QBs and there's no comparison.

We've all watched the failed attempts. I would be glad for Goff to prove me wrong, but he won't.

RamzFanz

Damnit

He can get open with moves sometimes. The deep ball works when he does and it's to him. If it's a go route, he'll be blanketed 9 times out of 10 and if it's a contested ball, he never wins. I can recall maybe once.

jap

Legend
So does Goff. He's not accurate deep. Britt's going to be his deep ball man because he can fight for the ball, IMHO.

. . . which is something I expect to see Jerad start correcting by his first full NFL off-season. His former diet problem is what has hindered him thus far, but I expect to see him add solid muscle to his frame moving forward beginning with his first full NFL off-season. It is too much of an added advantage to ignore to be able to stretch the field vertically & horizontally when you have a feature back like Gurley who will entice the safeties to move up into the box.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Goff and a continually improving OL are gonna transform this O.

Both Britt and Austin will be significantly more effective weapons. Both may have career years.

Higbee should be a huge upgrade at TE, too. More headaches for a D to worry about.

Cooper and/or Thomas will be frosting on the cake.

Everything changed once Goff's name was called. He's truly the straw that's gonna stir this new O drink.

Not exactly going out on a limb here, I know. But I just don't think it's possible to overstate the positive impact of adding a Goff type talent at QB. ALL players on O are gonna look like they're turbocharged.

I bet Boras is still smiling. Lol.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-tavon-austin-catching-100-passes-this-year/

Jeff Fisher could see Tavon Austin catching 100 passes this year
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 1, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptkwyzbim2njyjk5mde2njrkyzmxogm0mzy1zgy4nwm0-e1438805283998.jpeg
Getty Images

Last season, Rams receiver Tavon Austin caught a career-high 52 passes. This season, coach Jeff Fisher is expecting a whole lot more than that.

Fisher told the team’s website that he’s expecting opposing defenses to put their focus on stopping running backTodd Gurley, and that could open things up in the passing game to the point where Austin could top 100 catches this season.

“When it’s all said and done, we’re going to look back and, I think, see Tavon maybe doubling the number of catches he had last year,” Fisher said.

That sounds like wishful thinking, but if Austin can emerge as a true No. 1 receiver for the Rams, that would go a long way toward making rookie quarterback Jared Goff comfortable. Making sure Goff is in position to succeed is the Rams’ top priority, and Austin will be a big part of that.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin, every exciting player to watch because he can score everytime he touches the ball. He score at pretty much all phases of the game, PR, WR, and RB. How many players do we have that can do that or any team for the matter.

The future is looking bright for him when he finally gets a QB that can get him the ball, possibly a better play book that will implement him more creatively.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Tavon is an exciting player yes. He's a great threat to have in motion, absolutely.

But he's not the guy you line up outside on every play to be your number one wide receiver. In fact it would be a waste of his talent to do so. And if you take away the way Gurley and Austin compliment each other, you're really hurting both players' production just for some unholy quest to anoint him with the fabled numero uno.

It's all about match ups with him, and in that light, you're going to use him as a decoy and as a target all over the field. And that doesn't make him a bust. It just means that his receiving yards may never meet people's lofty expectations.

I want him to be successful as a wide receiver as well, but not at the expense of the rest of the team.

Cardncub

Rookie
I think if TA was on the Cards BA would definitely use him like they use John Brown. Go for the deep pass.