TST: Tavon Austin has mad skills

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...-rams-tavon-austin-scouting-report-tape-study

Tape Study: Embracing Los Angeles Rams WR Tavon Austin's Unique Skill Set
By QBKlass and Ben Natan on May 27, 2016

usa-today-9016562.0.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Our own Derrik Klassen and Bleeding Green Nation's Ben Natan highlight Tavon Austin's skill set and his impact going forward.

Los Angeles Rams WR Tavon Austin has been looked down on for the majority of his career.

There is a notion that he is a "bust" because his numbers don't reflect that of his draft status as the 8th overall draft pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, but it is not Austin's fault that his draft slot came with unrealistic expectations. He is a good player and that is being overlooked due to his draft slot.

Austin2.gif

Derrik: It seems like a lot of people get onto Austin for needing touches force fed to him, but when it happens, he is capable of plays like this one. What are your thoughts on having to force touches to skill players like Austin?

Ben: It's something that shouldn't be stigmatized. The truth is, plenty of teams "force touches" to offensive skill players. That's what a running back is. Tavon has a unique, game breaking skill set that can maximize these created touches, so why is it so bad for that to be part of his utilization?

Derrik: It isn't. The only reason he gets penalized for it is because he was drafted in the top 10. Like our friend Ian Kenyon was saying a few days ago in our conversation with him, if Austin gets drafted in the middle of the second round, nobody bats an eye about the way he is used.

Ben: The endgame for any offensive player is this -- How can I use this player in a way that ultimately affords my team scoring chances? Austin can absolutely be a game changing player on offense, it just comes down to working with that which makes him so special.

Derrik: Like you said earlier, that is the case to some extent for any player. A coaching staff needs to be creative and get the ball to good players; good play makers will always find a way to make big plays. The Rams now have two elite play makers in Austin and Todd Gurley. Assuming Jared Goff is more stable than Nick Foles was in 2015, the Rams' two playmakers should be able to uncork more explosive plays than in years past.

Austin3.gif

Ben: Is it insane to say that if Austin got used in the passing game like a running back, he would have a shot at 1,000 yards?

Derrik: I mean, considering plays like this screen are essentially what you are talking about, no, I don't think it is insane. The problem is less that Austin has a simple role than it is there being no other receiver on the roster to take attention away from Austin. Hopefully one of the rookies, Michael Thomas and Pharoh Cooper, can provide a new force among the receiving corps, but Austin is the only sure threat for now.

Ben: The thing is, Austin was so dangerous in this role with even worse talent around him last year. Even the slightest upgrade at quarterback and the surrounding cast will elevate Austin's efficiency.

Derrik: Precisely. If there are even just a few plays per game where less attention is directed toward Austin's side of the field, he is bound to turn some of those chances into big plays. He is an incredibly dynamic player with the ball in his hands.

Austin4.gif

Ben: Hey look, Tavon doing real receiver things!

Derrik: Yes! Just what the people want! Even though Austin is best when he can simply run free in space with the ball in his hands, he has developed more effective route running ability throughout his career as a Ram in order to create separation down the field.

Ben: It is important to realize, and this may be me pleading with the team a bit, that Austin is so electric that he is worth targeting as a primary pass catcher in their offense. Sacrifice some hiccups for the sheer sake of his explosive skill set.

Derrik: I've said this about a number of quarterbacks and it applies here: "Live by the sword, die by the sword." Austin is going to have drops down the field and lose yards by trying to do too much at times, but his successes will make those plays easy to forget.

Ben: It's a bit simplistic, sure, but explosive plays can redefine an offense and force a defense to respect the vertical passing game, in turn elevating the rest of the offense.

Derrik: When an offense makes big plays, defenses start to hesitate. When defenses start to hesitate, they stop making big plays against the offense. Explosive plays often lead to more explosive plays.

Austin6.gif

Ben: Running. Back. Touches.

Derrik: Just like you talked about! This is not a huge gain, but is shows two things that Austin can do. First, it shows that the offense has some flexibility in where they can line Austin up at. He can line up as a running back and the Rams have already used him there plenty (just like West Virginia did when he slaughtered Oklahoma). Second, he shows off some great elusiveness in a short area to gain extra yardage.

Ben: He can threaten as a runner and a receiver when he is in the backfield so it is not transparent to the defense what the play will be when he is back there. His ability to immediately turn receptions into yards after the catch means that he can be massively effective on short, dump off style pass plays.

Derrik: Exactly. Of course, most of these plays aren't going to look like much, and even this play is not a massive gain, but it's the little things that he does to create yards and the ever present threat of a home run that makes these plays great usage of him.

Ben: These type of plays with Austin remind me of Chris Johnson's Tennessee Titans days. They kept feeding him the ball because they knew, eventually, he would bust a huge gain and likely a touchdown.

Derrik: It's almost as if good things happen when you give good ball carriers chances.

Ben: WEIRD.

Austin7.gif

Ben: This is further showing that Austin can be a legit option as a receiver. He runs a beautiful route, grabs the ball on a tight sideline throws and is still somehow able to get a few yards after the catch. Very few receivers would be able to redirect after that catch and get those extra yards.

Derrik: Notice the jab step inside and up the field at the top of his route, then how quickly he flips his hips and gets to the sideline. He can be a real receiver on top of being short game catch-and-run threat.

Ben: I have a saying that receivers are usually good until they aren't. What I mean by that is that receivers, especially number one and number two receivers, usually have unique athletic skill sets that can get exploited with the right amount of targets.

Different quarterbacks use different receivers in different ways. Ben Roethlisberger's pinpoint accuracy makes Antonio Brown a star just like Jameis Winston's aggressive passing style helps big-bodied receivers like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin (at Florida State) produce.

Austin was a star at West Virginia because the ball was constantly in his hands. Too often during his pro career, the Rams haven't figured out how to consistently do that for him, not to mention the relative quarterback play has been much worse. Austin has this incredibly unique skill set, unlike most any other player in the league. With solid quarterback play and proper usage, I think he will be a major contributor for the Rams.

Derrik: With Goff presumably providing more stability and accuracy than Foles did last year, I think that ends up being the case as well. Aside from Gurley, Austin is far and away the best skill player that the Rams have right now and that needs to be fully embraced.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Austin sets up Gurley's game, too... Helping the offense even when the ball is not in his hands with misdirection.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Austin sets up Gurley's game, too... Helping the offense even when the ball is not in his hands with misdirection.
Like this ...

TA_zpsd6tpn0my.jpg
:rolllaugh::rolllaugh:This came to mind when I read your comment CGI!!:D:rolllaugh:

RamzFanz

Damnit
hmmmmmmm......

On an anemic offense with terrible QB play he had over 900 yards and 9 TDs as WR/RB. Kid is primed for an explosive season.

If Goff and TA don't become the dynamic duo of the NFCW, that's on Goff. Austin's YAC with accurate throws on the run has the potential to be second to none this season.

He'll never be a prototypical WR, and that's a good thing. The snaps he is used as a decoy in the run game are just as valuable as those he is the target. As a ball carrier he has a career 8.3 YPC. That's not a fluke. He had more carries last season than the rest of his career combined and still maintained that average. Even without Gurley as a starter he had 8.1 YPC.

What I really like about the kid, other than his obvious mad elusiveness, is he's 100% every play, a team player, hard worker, eagerly blocks guys twice his size, and doesn't complain. All TA does is get it done when the opportunity is there and often when it's not.

What TA is NOT is a deep ball threat. They need to stop wasting snaps on him deep. He doesn't have top speed (see him get outrun in every GIF above) and isn't going to win a contested ball.

Hopefully one of the rookies, Michael Thomas and Pharoh Cooper, can provide a new force among the receiving corps, but Austin is the only sure threat for now.

Not true.

The person who IS a deep ball threat is Kenny Britt. Britt was second in the NFL for YPR of all 40+ reception receivers last season and had many difficult and contested down field receptions. He was Mr. Reliable when the ball came within his wingspan, blanketed or not. His speed doesn't get him open much, but his route running does and his fight will win almost every time. If he's not coming down with the ball, neither is the coverage, unless the pass is out of his reach.

The Rams' offense needs QB, TE, and O line play. Get Britt the ball and he's a threat all day long.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he had been drafted by Arians and the Cards he'd be a household name and superstar by now. Same goes for the Packers or any other team that has a good offensive staff and a QB who can throw with accuracy.

Rams have tried to rectify those problems, but now it's a timing thing, where he is going to need to be re-signed to be a part of this offensive rebuild. Barring them hitting the lottery on Goff and him absolutely killing it in his rookie season, Tavon's gonna be in his final contract year when the whole thing really comes together in truth in Goff's second year.

Still, I'm excited to see what Boras and Groh can get out of him. IMO his backfield touches are going to dry up for the most part, since Gurley is just as explosive and will be healthier in year two of coming back from that ACL. Expectation is more Tavon in the pattern finally, from the flanker position, with Goff getting him that ball by throwing accurate strikes and hitting him in stride where he can make explosive plays.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I missed this play. Was he trying to inject some life into Foles?
TA_zpsd6tpn0my.jpg

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Making a fool out of the Raiders defense!! That juke was ridiculous!
Tavon_Austin.0.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Not true.

The person who IS a deep ball threat is Kenny Britt. Britt was second in the NFL for YPR of all 40+ reception receivers last season and had many difficult and contested down field receptions. He was Mr. Reliable when the ball came within his wingspan, blanketed or not. His speed doesn't get him open much, but his route running does and his fight will win almost every time. If he's not coming down with the ball, neither is the coverage, unless the pass is out of his reach.

The Rams' offense needs QB, TE, and O line play. Get Britt the ball and he's a threat all day long.

You know, I've been critical of the WR's for their inconsistency. I've referred to Britt as the occasional deep threat guy and nothing else. But I failed to take in account for the poor quarterback play. Its possible Britt will make more of an impact with a quarterback who can get him the ball. I don't think he's a true number one, but he can score close to double digit TD's with a better quarterback. His strength is his ability to get deep. Heck, he could be quiet most the game but if he scores a TD he's done his job. Imagine him and Austin providing close to 20 TD's in the passing game. We'd be a playoff team for sure.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
That play against the Bucs last year where he juked two lf their secondary in one move and they both went down hurt like they'd had a nasty dream...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
On an anemic offense with terrible QB play he had over 900 yards and 9 TDs as WR/RB. Kid is primed for an explosive season.

If Goff and TA don't become the dynamic duo of the NFCW, that's on Goff. Austin's YAC with accurate throws on the run has the potential to be second to none this season.

He'll never be a prototypical WR, and that's a good thing. The snaps he is used as a decoy in the run game are just as valuable as those he is the target. As a ball carrier he has a career 8.3 YPC. That's not a fluke. He had more carries last season than the rest of his career combined and still maintained that average. Even without Gurley as a starter he had 8.1 YPC.

What I really like about the kid, other than his obvious mad elusiveness, is he's 100% every play, a team player, hard worker, eagerly blocks guys twice his size, and doesn't complain. All TA does is get it done when the opportunity is there and often when it's not.

What TA is NOT is a deep ball threat. They need to stop wasting snaps on him deep. He doesn't have top speed (see him get outrun in every GIF above) and isn't going to win a contested ball.

Not true.

Not this argument again :rolleyes::banghead:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Add Copper in playa like that as well.

With healthy offensive lineman who are growing together. Plus a new TE who can block.
Add Copper to the mix w/ a quick accurate passer & this offense will open up big time.
I love play action fakes & some of this motion plays that keeps defenses honest.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I disagree with the notion that Tavon does not have "deep speed". We have seen evidence of him blowing by people on go routes only to have the QB miss the throw or never see him at all. I don't think I have ever seen him caught from behind.... Only when the defender has the angle.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Making a fool out of the Raiders defense!! That juke was ridiculous!
Tavon_Austin.0.gif
A funny backdrop to this play. I didn't see it live. I was at the Colliseum concession stand for like 30 minutes. My wife had bought 50 yard line seats for my 50th birthday with my sons that day.

It was the only real explosive play the Rams would have,:( last Aug 13th in that preseason game <----the day this avatar photo was taken.

(y) We still had fun, though. I have a great wifey.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not this argument again :rolleyes::banghead:

I was gonna like his post until he said that. Tavon is very much a deep threat. We saw that in the opening game when he had Sherman beat by 5 yards but foles was 3 seconds late with the throw, as per usual, and Sherman was all over him. He won't have that problem with Goff.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...-rams-tavon-austin-scouting-report-tape-study

Tape Study: Embracing Los Angeles Rams WR Tavon Austin's Unique Skill Set
By QBKlass and Ben Natan on May 27, 2016

usa-today-9016562.0.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Our own Derrik Klassen and Bleeding Green Nation's Ben Natan highlight Tavon Austin's skill set and his impact going forward.

Los Angeles Rams WR Tavon Austin has been looked down on for the majority of his career.

There is a notion that he is a "bust" because his numbers don't reflect that of his draft status as the 8th overall draft pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, but it is not Austin's fault that his draft slot came with unrealistic expectations. He is a good player and that is being overlooked due to his draft slot.

Austin2.gif

Derrik: It seems like a lot of people get onto Austin for needing touches force fed to him, but when it happens, he is capable of plays like this one. What are your thoughts on having to force touches to skill players like Austin?

Ben: It's something that shouldn't be stigmatized. The truth is, plenty of teams "force touches" to offensive skill players. That's what a running back is. Tavon has a unique, game breaking skill set that can maximize these created touches, so why is it so bad for that to be part of his utilization?

Derrik: It isn't. The only reason he gets penalized for it is because he was drafted in the top 10. Like our friend Ian Kenyon was saying a few days ago in our conversation with him, if Austin gets drafted in the middle of the second round, nobody bats an eye about the way he is used.

Ben: The endgame for any offensive player is this -- How can I use this player in a way that ultimately affords my team scoring chances? Austin can absolutely be a game changing player on offense, it just comes down to working with that which makes him so special.

Derrik: Like you said earlier, that is the case to some extent for any player. A coaching staff needs to be creative and get the ball to good players; good play makers will always find a way to make big plays. The Rams now have two elite play makers in Austin and Todd Gurley. Assuming Jared Goff is more stable than Nick Foles was in 2015, the Rams' two playmakers should be able to uncork more explosive plays than in years past.

Austin3.gif

Ben: Is it insane to say that if Austin got used in the passing game like a running back, he would have a shot at 1,000 yards?

Derrik: I mean, considering plays like this screen are essentially what you are talking about, no, I don't think it is insane. The problem is less that Austin has a simple role than it is there being no other receiver on the roster to take attention away from Austin. Hopefully one of the rookies, Michael Thomas and Pharoh Cooper, can provide a new force among the receiving corps, but Austin is the only sure threat for now.

Ben: The thing is, Austin was so dangerous in this role with even worse talent around him last year. Even the slightest upgrade at quarterback and the surrounding cast will elevate Austin's efficiency.

Derrik: Precisely. If there are even just a few plays per game where less attention is directed toward Austin's side of the field, he is bound to turn some of those chances into big plays. He is an incredibly dynamic player with the ball in his hands.

Austin4.gif

Ben: Hey look, Tavon doing real receiver things!

Derrik: Yes! Just what the people want! Even though Austin is best when he can simply run free in space with the ball in his hands, he has developed more effective route running ability throughout his career as a Ram in order to create separation down the field.

Ben: It is important to realize, and this may be me pleading with the team a bit, that Austin is so electric that he is worth targeting as a primary pass catcher in their offense. Sacrifice some hiccups for the sheer sake of his explosive skill set.

Derrik: I've said this about a number of quarterbacks and it applies here: "Live by the sword, die by the sword." Austin is going to have drops down the field and lose yards by trying to do too much at times, but his successes will make those plays easy to forget.

Ben: It's a bit simplistic, sure, but explosive plays can redefine an offense and force a defense to respect the vertical passing game, in turn elevating the rest of the offense.

Derrik: When an offense makes big plays, defenses start to hesitate. When defenses start to hesitate, they stop making big plays against the offense. Explosive plays often lead to more explosive plays.

Austin6.gif

Ben: Running. Back. Touches.

Derrik: Just like you talked about! This is not a huge gain, but is shows two things that Austin can do. First, it shows that the offense has some flexibility in where they can line Austin up at. He can line up as a running back and the Rams have already used him there plenty (just like West Virginia did when he slaughtered Oklahoma). Second, he shows off some great elusiveness in a short area to gain extra yardage.

Ben: He can threaten as a runner and a receiver when he is in the backfield so it is not transparent to the defense what the play will be when he is back there. His ability to immediately turn receptions into yards after the catch means that he can be massively effective on short, dump off style pass plays.

Derrik: Exactly. Of course, most of these plays aren't going to look like much, and even this play is not a massive gain, but it's the little things that he does to create yards and the ever present threat of a home run that makes these plays great usage of him.

Ben: These type of plays with Austin remind me of Chris Johnson's Tennessee Titans days. They kept feeding him the ball because they knew, eventually, he would bust a huge gain and likely a touchdown.

Derrik: It's almost as if good things happen when you give good ball carriers chances.

Ben: WEIRD.

Austin7.gif

Ben: This is further showing that Austin can be a legit option as a receiver. He runs a beautiful route, grabs the ball on a tight sideline throws and is still somehow able to get a few yards after the catch. Very few receivers would be able to redirect after that catch and get those extra yards.

Derrik: Notice the jab step inside and up the field at the top of his route, then how quickly he flips his hips and gets to the sideline. He can be a real receiver on top of being short game catch-and-run threat.

Ben: I have a saying that receivers are usually good until they aren't. What I mean by that is that receivers, especially number one and number two receivers, usually have unique athletic skill sets that can get exploited with the right amount of targets.

Different quarterbacks use different receivers in different ways. Ben Roethlisberger's pinpoint accuracy makes Antonio Brown a star just like Jameis Winston's aggressive passing style helps big-bodied receivers like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin (at Florida State) produce.

Austin was a star at West Virginia because the ball was constantly in his hands. Too often during his pro career, the Rams haven't figured out how to consistently do that for him, not to mention the relative quarterback play has been much worse. Austin has this incredibly unique skill set, unlike most any other player in the league. With solid quarterback play and proper usage, I think he will be a major contributor for the Rams.

Derrik: With Goff presumably providing more stability and accuracy than Foles did last year, I think that ends up being the case as well. Aside from Gurley, Austin is far and away the best skill player that the Rams have right now and that needs to be fully embraced.

That was a great discussion. Some great points put forward.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
A funny backdrop to this play. I didn't see it live. I was at the Colliseum concession stand for like 30 minutes. My wife had bought 50 yard line seats for my 50th birthday with my sons that day.

It was the only real explosive play the Rams would have,:( last Aug 13th in that preseason game <----the day this avatar photo was taken.

(y) We still had fun, though. I have a great wifey.
Glad it was still a great day. Sounds like a great woman. Next time, send one of the boys to the concession stand lol

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Glad it was still a great day. Sounds like a great woman. Next time, send one of the boys to the concession stand lol
No crap. They are all in their twenties and not one of them bought me a beer.

Perhaps they should have been abandoned at birth. :mrburnsevil: