TST: Laurinaitis Suggests 7-9 Was "Acceptable" To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's 100% right... It was acceptable in the Lou no way around it.

He's wrong thinking that has changed in New Orleans. Mediocrity can set in anywhere.

If he thought that, then he should have been loyal to his teammates to shut the hell up and not throw them under the bus. He and Long used to pizz me off by blowing sunshine out of his azz before every 7-9 season. HE wasa joke last year, and now he is pandering to the Saints fan base, like he did in St Louis. I hope to God that Gurley embarrasses that piece of shyte.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't remember hearing that from him when the Rams were paying him big bucks...I'm a little disappointed to hear him take a shot like that...Yeah, the Aint's defense hasn't been close to acceptable...Haven't heard that from him yet !!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't remember hearing that from him when the Rams were paying him big bucks...I'm a little disappointed to hear him take a shot like that...Yeah, the Aint's defense hasn't been close to acceptable...Haven't heard that from him yet !!!
and you won't, until he is cut/and or retired.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Chalk it up to bulletin board material and move on.

We must be over .500 this year!!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't read that as him saying the Rams organization thought it was acceptable to have 7-9 record. It is a couple of one line quotes probably taken out of context. I also don't over look the "had to climb out of it" part. Face it the Rams have never had a winning season while he was with them and most of that is on the offense not the defense.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a sense, JL is right. This team didn't seem to have any sense of urgency to compete at a high level week in and week out (save for guys like gurley and Donald of course). What James failed to mention is that HE was a captain on this team who contributed to letting the younger core get away with inconsistent play and complacency.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams 7-9..........I just opened my window and shouted:

I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
So 7-9 is unacceptable and he's going to a team with urgency and fire, correct?

Saints 2015 season? 7-9
Saints 2014 season? 7-9

Not that's urgency and fire! Good thing 7-9 is not acceptable in New Orleans!

Yeah, I want the Rams to be more like the Saints.

I think it more likely that he was one of the players the Rams cast away as they continued to cull their roster with an eye towards actually improving the team. But that's just my take.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
It's amazing how upset overpaid and underperforming vets get when they get cut.

I am a big fan of what JL did for the Rams but his last couple years were underwhelming, especially last season. Now he feels like taking shots while playing for a team that, in recent years, has put up some of the worst defenses in league history and has underperformed just as much as the Rams have in terms of expected wins. The saints are actually more disappointing in a way since they have had a HOF QB leading them to losing seasons.

Just work on improving your new team instead of talking bad about your previous employer.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
We're gonna break his QB in half and then Todd's gonna show him
just what a overrated clown he is.Better wear extra ankle tape James

Sun, Nov 27
1:00 PM FOX

If JL meets Gurley 1v1 in the hole or open field then he's in big trouble. He wants no part in trying to tackle TG30 and he knows it. He was cut BECAUSE the Rams are sick of 7-9. He's mad because he was fired for playing like crap last year.

JL seems like a good guy but I'm very disappointed he's willing to throw the Rams under the bus after all the time he's been here. He wasn't saying any of this back when they gave him that contract extension so he should keep quiet now.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He was cut BECAUSE the Rams are sick of 7-9.

msty.gif

i 100% believe it. especially after what Demoff said.

wrijy1qnsby1dzizg.jpg

tempests

Hall of Fame
Don't know how this could be interpreted any other way.

"Get here, hear 7-9 isn't acceptable. Awesome to be around that hunger."

Rams weren't hungry but the Saints are. That's how it reads to me. It's a shot at his former team because he's ticked off that he was fired.
"

It's virtually the same sentiment I saw expressed from SJ and CL when they went to the Patriots. And one I hear every offseason for players that change teams. Of course the atmosphere is different when you're winning. Naturally for teams that are going to the playoffs or been there recently the bar is going to be higher. They've raised it themselves with their performance.

Rams are still trying to clear the 8-8 bar, that doesn't mean 7-9 is good enough. It' just means that's the next step they have to get to on the road to contention. And no one here is or was happy when they fall short.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eak-500-with-the-saints-thats-not-acceptable/

James Laurinaitis: With the Rams we couldn’t break .500, with the Saints that’s not acceptable
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 3, 2016

488045622-e1457280155682.jpg
Getty Images

James Laurinaitis has spent his entire seven-year career with the Rams, and in those seven years the Rams never won more than seven games. Now Laurinaitis is with the Saints, and he thinks he’s in for a refreshing change.

Laurinaitis noted that during his entire college career at Ohio State, the Buckeyes lost only nine games, and so it was a rude awakening to play for the Rams, where losing nine games a season was the norm. In New Orleans, Laurinaitis says, no one is satisfied with 7-9.

“We have a lot of guys here who are extremely hungry to be good,” Laurinaitis said, via Larry Holder of NOLA.com. “I think it’s refreshing to me to be in a place where they’ve won. The expectations are to get back to that. Coming from a spot where we couldn’t break .500, in college I lost nine games — that was it at Ohio State.”

With the Rams, Laurinaitis constantly felt like the team was trying to climb out of a sub-.500 hole, and never able to.

“Then you get to here and you hear 7-9 is just not acceptable. It’s awesome to be around that, that hunger,” Laurinaitis said.

Although Laurinaitis didn’t exactly say that the Rams considered 7-9 acceptable, that’s the implication of his comments. And, given that Jeff Fisher has kept his job while failing to win more than seven games in any of his four seasons, that’s a fair assessment of the Rams.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OK pal, when the Aints go 4-12 this year, what will be your excuse? And if the Aints cut you after such a dismal season, who you gonna blame then? I suggest you look in the mirror, because that's why the Rams cut you, they want to win. And good luck to your new team, they're going to need it with you in the middle of their D.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not cool, JL.

Remember, last year when the Saints went 7-9, they did it with Drew Brees under center. We did the same with Nick Foles and Case Keenum. Tell me who's hungry again?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Oooh. Some delicious commentaries here. Continue gentlemen. Oh, DO continue!! :mrburnsevil:

fancents86

Starter
I wonder how many of you throwing JL under the bus were thinking the same thing about our coaching staff last season? And the season before that... and before that...