Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon was the #8 overall pick though, I'd expect him to do that to even the best CBs, although Sherman has been hot garbage this season so far. Ryan Grant was a 5th round pick with 128 career yards in 2 seasons, including that 35 yarder making up over 25% of his career totals. I liked him coming out and he's talented, but Grant should not be doing that to him, and Jenkins should not be making the same mistakes over and over again. If it was 1 or 2 times like Sherman, fine. But it's all the time with JJ.
Wouldn't matter if Tavon was the #8 overall or the last pick in the draft. That kind of move can get corners to bite, and all receivers who run under a 4.7 can get immediate ground on a corner who hesitates - even if it's Richard Sherman. I agree that Jenkins falls for it quite a bit, but it doesn't matter where the guy who did it to him was drafted. I saw Brandon Gibson do it to Nnamdi Asomugha twice; so by your reasoning, what does that say about an in his prime Asomugha?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@rams24/7 , @CGI_Ram As a former DB, we need to keep both these guys...they are only getting better and better....It's the offensive players I'd closely watch as far as re-signing....oh, and McLeod....
It's about time he get acquainted with the top wrs in the league since most teams have 2. Plus, JJ & Tru don't travel, that is they don't switch sides depending on where the wr lines up....JJ is usually on the right side, Tru on the left...When I coached, I always put my best corner on the left, which is the offenses right side. Because most QB's were right handed and it was the easiest throw. I wanted my best db on that side.......

I agree the Rams need to find a way to keep them both, they are both very good players, they are both assets to the defense. Demoff needs to find a way to keep both and I think he will. Keep in mind the cap is taking some BIG jumps up in the next few years so there will be money to play with.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
what does that say about an in his prime Asomugha

I think he was overrated, but even twice is a vast improvement over Jenkins. I've seen it done to him maybe 20 times in his 3-4 years here. He falls for it nearly every time.

My point is, Janoris gets a pass all the time, but he hasn't gotten any better. He's still making the same rookie mistakes. Any corner worth his salt wouldn't bite that many times. Once or twice, alright. But the same move gets him every time. If it was just Julio Jones and Dez Bryant and all those guys getting him, I'd be fine. But when Ryan Grant is toasting him, and he got past Jenkins quite a few more times, or when he does it against a washed up Brandon Lloyd right before halftime, it's concerning to me. Less talented receivers are taking advantage of him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he was overrated, but even twice is a vast improvement over Jenkins. I've seen it done to him maybe 20 times in his 3-4 years here. He falls for it nearly every time.

My point is, Janoris gets a pass all the time, but he hasn't gotten any better. He's still making the same rookie mistakes. Any corner worth his salt wouldn't bite that many times. Once or twice, alright. But the same move gets him every time. If it was just Julio Jones and Dez Bryant and all those guys getting him, I'd be fine. But when Ryan Grant is toasting him, and he got past Jenkins quite a few more times, or when he does it against a washed up Brandon Lloyd right before halftime, it's concerning to me. Less talented receivers are taking advantage of him.
Fair enough.

I don't disagree with a whole bunch of that. I was merely saying that where a receiver is drafted, or how good/bad he's perceived to be, doesn't really matter if you can get a corner to bite and hold him up for a split second. Tavon, Megatron, Pettis, Gibson, Fitzgerald, Grant. They're all gonna have the same advantage if they have even a modicum of speed.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Wouldn't matter if Tavon was the #8 overall or the last pick in the draft. That kind of move can get corners to bite, and all receivers who run under a 4.7 can get immediate ground on a corner who hesitates - even if it's Richard Sherman. I agree that Jenkins falls for it quite a bit, but it doesn't matter where the guy who did it to him was drafted. I saw Brandon Gibson do it to Nnamdi Asomugha twice; so by your reasoning, what does that say about an in his prime Asomugha?

Jenkins gets beat on those routes often because he is wanting to do this too often
http://prod.static.eagles.clubs.nfl.com/assets/img/615_Eye_Week5B_17_100214.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think Tru Jo is a "must keep" player.

Young and effective 6'2" CB's in today's NFL are verrrrry valuable. Emphasis effective.

Jenkins? I could take him or leave him, frankly.

I think he's a "pretty good" CB, but one that's overrated by many.

Yeah, he'll give you some splash plays for highlight film. But he'll give you a lot of missed shoulder tackles that give up big yardage, too. And we all know about those all too frequent deep passes he gives up.

Someone posted his "stats against" numbers last year and they weren't pretty. Even I was surprised, tbh.

I would be much more comfortable with Gaines as a starter than with Jenkins, if you want to know the truth.

So if it comes down to an either/or between Jenkins and Tru, I'll take Tru every time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenkins is very aggressive. That has its pros and cons. But a lot of corners, even very good/great CBs, get beat by good double moves or a well sold route. Especially when they're not getting safety help.

Jenkins will gamble. And that will frustrate some but we also don't give him a ton of help back there. Say what you will but that makes a big difference and it tells you what the Rams think of him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jenkins will gamble. And that will frustrate some but we also don't give him a ton of help back there. Say what you will but that makes a big difference and it tells you what the Rams think of him.
Of course it does. Seattle's corners wouldn't be NEARLY as effective if they didn't have all-pro safeties.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One problem I have with Jenkins is that he just doesn't seem to be getting better at his weaknesses.

OrqlOev.gif

It just happens way too much. If that was well thrown, would have been a 60+ yard TD. He's lucky it wasn't.

You can do a lot worse than Jenkins, so I'd still like to keep him if possible, but it seems like he gets burned a lot. He's just undisciplined. Some of it's not his fault, but a lot of it is.
Gotta remember time & situation...Offense had just gone 3 and out, AGAIN! (5th or 6th straight time)...He was trying to get something started...It was a gamble, it was crazy, but he wanted to change the game...I can't get mad at a gambler that has talent...he's still a young player...It would be silly to just let him go...Kurt cousins threw 5 passes longer that 10 yards....5.....he was killing us underneath...always look at situation, and time these kinds of mistakes occur...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course it does. Seattle's corners wouldn't be NEARLY as effective if they didn't have all-pro safeties.

Yep. Plus, I haven't done any quantitative research but I think we tend to shade McLeod to the left side of the field more often than not when we have a single high safety.(Janoris is the RCB)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yep. Plus, I haven't done any quantitative research but I think we tend to shade McLeod to the left side of the field more often than not when we have a single high safety.(Janoris is the RCB)
That's what I've seen more often than the other side. Mostly just playing deep middle though.

Big Willie

Starter
Good point. JJ gets the top assignment.

Difficult for us to evaluate, from our vantage point.
Trumaine and EJ in 2016 would work for me. EJ can handle the top receiver. I trust him to be fundamentally sound and be where he is supposed to be each play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would prefer to keep Trumaine and draft a stud Corner if it is not possible to pay both he and Jenkins.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Jenkz's biggest problem .... peeking into the backfield. He relies too much on trying to watch the QB's eyes. That is usually how he gets burned. He "thinks" he is seeing something and then as he "peeks" ... he loses his man. If he would learn to just keep with his man and use the "tells" he would be a much better CB. He CAN cover. .. he just relies too much on trying to read the QB's eyes. That is why double moves work so well on him.