Trumaine Johnson won’t be traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/856514257327882240

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/24/report-trumaine-johnson-wont-be-traded/

Report: Trumaine Johnson won’t be traded
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 24, 2017

502629338-e1485722794730.jpg
Getty Images

Not every player who is available for trade gets traded.

And at a certain point, the team realizes it can’t reach a deal, and begins the process of rebuilding a bridge.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Rams won’t be dealing cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

The Rams have previously offered up their twice-franchised corner, and after a month or so, acknowledged that a long-term contract was a possibility.

That’s sensible, since having him on the books for one year at $16.7 million is a tough number for any team to swallow. But even if they don’t do a deal, they need to make sure he feels integrated into the team, and putting out word that they’re keeping him seems like part of that process.

And it’s also possible that with Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman available at a more amenable contract, the Rams simply weren’t getting the right kind of offers.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He probably wouldn't even accept what Jenkins got last year. The Rams (Fisher?) really screwed themselves.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm good with this now, at first I wanted tru gone because it would save the team money and allow them to pick up free agents . But now with Tru Webster and Robey Coleman I think the team made huge upgrades in the secondary. I never believed in him not fitting a system , he's a big corner that can tackle and cover very well .

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Its the week of the draft. This isn't the time to start believing the things that GMs say.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At least with Tru staying, we don't have to worry about the Rams going CB with their 1st pick!! :DUnless you want someone like, say, Gareon Conley - Ohio State. He's pretty good!(y)

Ram65

Legend
Its the week of the draft. This isn't the time to start believing the things that GMs say.

How does it go? Never say never. It would seem the Rams would have to take a really low offer. The deck is stacked against the Rams with lots of CB talent in the draft and the Hags Sherman plus the 16.7 Tru gets.

I still hold that depending on how things go in the draft and the season the Rams could trade him before the trade dead line. An injury or two could make a contenter a buyer.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading a player with a 16.7 cap hit is a dream scenario.
And when the player who's getting 16.7 mill is basically an 8-10 mill per year player, it makes the trade possibility laughable

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How does it go? Never say never. It would seem the Rams would have to take a really low offer. The deck is stacked against the Rams with lots of CB talent in the draft and the Hags Sherman plus the 16.7 Tru gets.

I still hold that depending on how things go in the draft and the season the Rams could trade him before the trade dead line. An injury or two could make a contenter a buyer.

The Rams have a minimum price tag in mind - and so far, no one has been willing to pay it. Hard to blame teams for not wanting to part with a pick in a draft loaded with CB talent for a really expensive - albeit more proven - CB.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I said in early March that he wouldn't be traded and a few people told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Tru J isn't going anywhere in 2017. It's not a smokescreen by Snead, it's a simple case of market saturation, cap space, and overall value. The real question is if Tru will sign long term or if he is awaiting his ticket out.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
At least with Tru staying, we don't have to worry about the Rams going CB with their 1st pick!! :DUnless you want someone like, say, Gareon Conley - Ohio State. He's pretty good!(y)

It solidifies nothing unless we get Trumaine signed to a long term contract. I hope that's happening right now behind the scenes.

I think announcement - or whatever smoke screen it is - makes CB even more of a need. I mean Trumaine again on a one-year deal at $16 million. That's whack

We gotta be looking to snag one of these CB gems this year

Webster and Robey are good pick-ups but are they really gonna be what we had in Janoris - at least. And Gaines getting back to his rookie year performance is still a little bit hazy. Then considering Trumaine's injury history we might very well be depending on Troy Hill and MJ again to step up again like they did last year -- oh wait, Troy Hill had some suspension time.

I liked how MJ played last year, but seriously we can grab a future superstar CB with the #37 pick

One of these CB gems is surely gonna fall into our lap at #37 and I'd surely hate to see us reach for OL or OLB (which i think is a priority over WR or TE)

Now watch the Rams sign Tru to a team friendly long term contract and we go WR :LOL:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm good with this now, at first I wanted tru gone because it would save the team money and allow them to pick up free agents . But now with Tru Webster and Robey Coleman I think the team made huge upgrades in the secondary. I never believed in him not fitting a system , he's a big corner that can tackle and cover very well .

Tru has a lot of value to the Rams for this season. Moving him and creating a hole at CB is not a good idea, unless you get at least a round 2 pick, which was never going to happen when the guy thinks he's Deion Sanders. We are simply going to lose him and collect the round 3 pick for compensation and I'm good with that.

They'll take a CB in this draft and wish Trumaine well. I think he will play lights out this season for Wade and will break the bank with some other team. Best of luck to him, but for now looking forward to seeing him help this defense be a top unit in this league.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He probably wouldn't even accept what Jenkins got last year. The Rams (Fisher?) really screwed themselves.
I think fisher wanted Jenkins signed and snead failed to get it done IIRC

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One of these CB gems is surely gonna fall into our lap at #37 and I'd surely hate to see us reach for OL or OLB (which i think is a priority over WR or TE)
I don't think it will be hard for the Rams to find a Good CB in this Draft, it is possibly the Deepest position in the Draft this year!

And I don't think it would be a "Reach for the Rams to go after, say, T.J. Watt or even Takkarist McKinley at #37! I would love it! JMO

Psycho_X

Legend
I think fisher wanted Jenkins signed and snead failed to get it done IIRC

Demoff handles the contract side of life for the Rams. Maybe Snead or Fisher put a dollar cap on what they thought was acceptable? Hard to tell, either way, the Rams management failed at retaining top tier talent they drafted and developed which is how an organization stays on the losing side of things.

Quoted for truth.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't think it will be hard for the Rams to find a Good CB in this Draft, it is possibly the Deepest position in the Draft this year!

And I don't think it would be a "Reach for the Rams to go after, say, T.J. Watt or even Takkarist McKinley at #37! I would love it! JMO

Hope both guys are still sitting there at #37

:party:

At that pick we can also get a future Ram superstar CB!!! It's gonna be good

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I still don't buy that Tru will be a Ram for more than a year or two at best. I think they get a deal done and trade him next offseason. The corner depth in this draft really made trading a pricey player like Tru or even Sherman unlikely.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Good. Our defense is worse without him, and no first year player can fill his shoes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still don't buy that Tru will be a Ram for more than a year or two at best. I think they get a deal done and trade him next offseason. The corner depth in this draft really made trading a pricey player like Tru or even Sherman unlikely.
I don't know man, he's going to sign a monster contract in the off season. I think the only hope left for a trade is a teade deadline deal where a team needs a healthy CB for a playoff run (If Tru can stay healthy that is)