Trumaine Johnson won’t be traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
How were we gonna trade a $16 million dollar contract?
A team interested in Trumaine would meet with his Agent and work out a deal in principle.
It would be a longer-term contract that wouldn't add up to 16 million a year but there would be more guaranteed money.
It does happen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A team interested in Trumaine would meet with his Agent and work out a deal in principle.
It would be a longer-term contract that wouldn't add up to 16 million a year but there would be more guaranteed money.
It does happen.
When has it ever?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It does happen.
#1 cb money, for a second tier cb? Never gonna happen...woulda happened already. The only way it does happen...is if some playoff team suffers a serious injury to a starting corner in camp...after the draft...and all other options for a cheaper fix have been exhausted.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If Tru plays this year for 16M, it means we paid him 28M over the last 2 years. You could of signed him to a 5 year deal with 28M guatenteed and not had a 16M cap hit and 12M hit last year. This is terrible cap management and hamstrung us this year and we risk losing the player next year.

This falls on Demoff and Snead, regardless of Fisher last year. I hope we dont see this crap happen again moving forward.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
#1 cb money, for a second tier cb? Never gonna happen...woulda happened already. The only way it does happen...is if some playoff team suffers a serious injury to a starting corner in camp...after the draft...and all other options for a cheaper fix have been exhausted.
You sure wasn't considered a second tier quarterback when he had seven interceptions in '15.
You may consider him to be second-tier but that doesn't mean he is.
He was pretty highly rated as a free agent this year and even higher the year before.

Personally, I'm not convinced he IS "second-tier".

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It hould have read HE wasn't considered a second-tier cornerback. I hate this damn phone! :(

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Personally, I'm not convinced he IS "second-tier".
Curious what a 1st tier corner looks like then? I mean, check Shermans stats...Check Josh Normans stats....Hell, check JJ's stats...and he's not quite 1st tier in my opinion either...but very close.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/mixed-signals-from-rams-on-trumaine-johnson/

Mixed signals from Rams on Trumaine Johnson
Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2017

494209378-e1493204062615.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams opted to apply the franchise tag to cornerback Trumaine Johnson for a second time, despite the 20-percent raise over last year’s eight-figure salary. Since then, mixed signals have emerged as to whether the Rams will keep him under the one-year, $16.74 million tender (which he has signed), trade him, or sign him to a long-term deal.

As the first minicamp of the Sean McVay era began on Tuesday, the mixed signals continued.

“Today he’s a Ram,” G.M. Les Snead told reporters regarding Johnson. “First walk-through [practice on Tuesday], and then we’ll get this minicamp going and it’ll go through OTAs, and the plan I mentioned is still the same. It’s not necessarily going to affect the draft at all. We’ll try to rank the corners from top to bottom. You can always use more than one or two or three good corners. His situation won’t affect it, but right now he’s a Ram, and we plan to go from there.”

The “today he’s a Ram” line prompted an obvious follow-up — is there a chance he’s traded from the Rams tomorrow or one of the next days?

“No, right now, I think we’re more into OTAs and let’s see if we can get something done by the end of this thing,” Snead said. “That’s where we’re at right now.”

Johnson separately spoke to reporters about his situation.

“I’m glad to be a Ram, point blank,” Johnson said. “Coming out here, it’s a privilege to play football. I’m glad I’m on the team, and I’m with the Rams.”

Does he wants a long-term deal?

“Of course,” Johnson said. “We’ve got time right now. That’s not my main focus, I’m going to let my agent handle that. In the meantime, get to know the new guys, be back with the old guys and get all of these new defenses in with the coaches.”

Either way, Johnson is saying he’d like to stay.

“Of course, I love these guys,” Johnson said. “I’m here because I love my teammates. I don’t want to leave and hopefully we get a long-term deal.”

It still seems as if all options are on the table, especially since Johnson has plenty of leverage when it comes to long-term talks. With $16.74 million already guaranteed for 2017 and quarterback money looming if he’s tagged again in 2018, Johnson can (and should) ask for a huge deal in order to commit beyond this season.

The Rams also have options; they can draft a replacement, and/or they can use Johnson as bait to replenish draft picks after sending their 2017 first-rounder (No. 5 overall) to Tennessee as part of the Jared Goff trade.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Westcoast guy, I get why he wants to stay....but that "he's a Ram for now...". Sounds like the ole Fisher kiss of death...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Westcoast guy, I get why he wants to stay....but that "he's a Ram for now...". Sounds like the ole Fisher kiss of death...

Wait till Snead & MC Vay select 2 to 3 CB's Friday & Saturday......"handwriting is on the wall" as to Trumaine's future in LA. Only thing that might possibly could prolong Tru's stay in LA is for him to sign a long term contract.....& that's not going to happen.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/8/...mayock-has-ever-seen-tabor-king-marlon-sidney

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...masrshon-lattimore-marlon-humphrey/100337752/

Snead will have be looking at four starting CB's Johnson, EJ Gaines, Nickell Robey-Coleman & Lamarcus Joyner as UFA's & with the need for salary cap $$ going to Donald/Ogletree & many others:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/los-angeles-rams/

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He probably wouldn't even accept what Jenkins got last year. The Rams (Fisher?) really screwed themselves.
That was Demoff , not Fisher. That is one thing he wanted to get done. They Royally messed that one up. They low balled him so bad he just said F'u
. Yeah Tru might have been the easier guy to sign ling term & franchise JJ. Then you might be looking at both guys in Horns.
The bad thing is Fisher might still HC .
I like where The Rams are as a franchise right now. They are hungry & a team that will surprise a few teams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wait till Snead & MC Vay select 2 to 3 CB's Friday & Saturday......"handwriting is on the wall" as to Trumaine's future in LA. Only thing that might possibly could prolong Tru's stay in LA is for him to sign a long term contract.....& that's not going to happen.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/8/...mayock-has-ever-seen-tabor-king-marlon-sidney

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...masrshon-lattimore-marlon-humphrey/100337752/

Snead will have be looking at four starting CB's Johnson, EJ Gaines, Nickell Robey-Coleman & Lamarcus Joyner as UFA's & with the need for salary cap $$ going to Donald/Ogletree & many others:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/los-angeles-rams/

Good call !! After listening to Sneed & McVay you could here what they are always going to value on defense.Nckell Robey-Coleman might have bought them some time this year.Gives them a better chance for value at 37.
Wade will be pounding the table at some point if a pass rusher or CB is not addressed .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I still don't buy that Tru will be a Ram for more than a year or two at best. I think they get a deal done and trade him next offseason. The corner depth in this draft really made trading a pricey player like Tru or even Sherman unlikely.
All the tag did was buy The Rams time .Tru is a professional & will have a solid year. With all the 1 year contract The Rams signed & a full slate of draft picks next year. I think they will get a lot of comp picks the following season going into the new stadium.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they will get a lot of comp picks the following season going into the new stadium.
So you think they will lose valuable players? Yikes, that's not wishful thinking

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

The trade deadline is what, November? I can't remember tbh. But I have a feeling that Trumaine is going to look very, very good in this defense. To the point where a sign and trade deal might be very enticing to a contender. The Rams, after all, only need to beat a third round pick to make it worthwhile.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
no one would trade for a player in the last year of a contract @Merlin ...he'd have to play Lester Hayes good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
no one would trade for a player in the last year of a contract @Merlin ...he'd have to play Lester Hayes good.

If he plays lights out under Wade and the Rams offer him out there before the deadline, there will be interest. The holdup would be that team getting him to agree in principle, since that has already kept the Rams from not only signing him but trading him to the Saints.