Tru Johnson Raiders top target?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif

Good Raiders! Keep him away from San Francisco.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only keep him away from the Raiders but drive that price tag up to give us the first comp pick next year :D

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Are trades included? And is only the contract a factor?

Because pretty sure gaining Peters and losing Tru is a wash.

but yeah, if it's just contracts, then we should be pretty good unless we aren't done splashing in the deep end of the FA pool.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

but yeah, if it's just contracts, then we should be pretty good unless we aren't done splashing in the deep end of the FA pool.

Trades don't count. Free agents who are free because the team terminated a bloated contract don't count. Only players who played out their previous contract count. So for instance if Talib is cut and the Rams sign him, he doesn't count against compensation.

While the formula is not officially known, it seems to be a matter of size of the contract, playing time, and postseason honors (pro bowl, all pro).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's free agents and the size of the contract. You can negate losing a big free agent by signing somebody elses. For instance signing Norwell would potentially negate losing TruJo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Trades don't count. Free agents who are free because the team terminated a bloated contract don't count. Only players who played out their previous contract count. So for instance if Talib is cut and the Rams sign him, he doesn't count against compensation.

While the formula is not officially known, it seems to be a matter of size of the contract, playing time, and postseason honors (pro bowl, all pro).

Well, then we should make out like bandits...

I'm honestly trying to think of a single guy who is actually a "break the bank" level FA that would impact us and other than Carolina LG Andrew Norwell who was the ONLY OL in the NFL to have no penalties AND give up no sacks (and we have a pretty good LG in Saffold), I can't see anyone out there who could mitigate that.

So yeah, looks like we're likely to get a 2019 third rounder.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, then we should make out like bandits...

I'm honestly trying to think of a single guy who is actually a "break the bank" level FA that would impact us and other than Carolina LG Andrew Norwell who was the ONLY OL in the NFL to have no penalties AND give up no sacks (and we have a pretty good LG in Saffold), I can't see anyone out there who could mitigate that.

So yeah, looks like we're likely to get a 2019 third rounder.

If the Rams could land Norwell or any free agent of his character it is obviously better than a late third round choice. It seems that with their own contracts to iron out, signing anyone big outside of the team is unlikely.

goosekilla

UDFA
Name
Jeremy
I'd rather see the 49ers dish out 19 mil a year for him. No way in hell he can defend woods or kupp.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's free agents and the size of the contract. You can negate losing a big free agent by signing somebody elses. For instance signing Norwell would potentially negate losing TruJo.

Do you think The Rams should use the franchise tag ? I personally don’t think so .

I also think The Rams should not resign Sullivan or Barwin. Cutting Tavon Austin.
Maybe even keeping Barron & Quinn ?

The Rams would rack up a lot of Comp picks this way. As you & most might think other wise , but The Rams defense to me was a Top 5 defense at the end of the year.

I also think resigning Dom Easley is something no one is talking about & the Impact he could or would have had. Add in to that The Rams kept so many DB’s on The roster from last year. (Had another point ? )

If we look at The Rams signings & draft from last season.Then look at The Rams roster to date I conclude how they are prepared to move forward. My guess is comp picks will be added.

Sean McVay is coming up on NFL network right now so I’ll continue after this with a post below.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think The Rams should use the franchise tag ? I personally don’t think so .

I also think The Rams should not resign Sullivan or Barwin. Cutting Tavon Austin.

The Rams would rack up a lot of Comp picks this way. As you & most might think other wise , but The Rams defense to me was a Top 5 defense at the end of the year.

I also think resigning Dom Easley is something no one is talking about & the Impact he could or would have had. Add in to that The Rams kept so many DB’s on The roster from last year. (Had another point ? )

If we look at The Rams signings & draft from last season.Then look at The Rams roster to date I conclude how they are prepared to move forward. My guess is comp picks will be added.

Sean McVay is coming up on NFL network right now so I’ll continue after this with a post below.
Tag TruJo? He’ll no, I could see maybe Joyner but nobody else. Cutting a player makes them ineligible for a comp pick it has to be somebody who completed their contract. As for Sullivan and Barwin they aren’t likely to earn a comp pick. There are a max of 32 each year awarded so they’ll likely go to the free agents signing the biggest contracts. Also I seem to be one of the only people not interested in signing Easley, I think our DE depth is just fine.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Before he comes on. I see the centers that Kromer has kept.
1. Sullivan was signed late last year , but was such an awesome pick up.He might have added a lot of value for himself.Would hate for him to go to SF though , because he was such a big part of the offense. Barnes was brought over there last season & he is such a upgrade.

Neary played well in the last game & Austin Blythe was a solid reserve lineman.Eldrenkamp was a Ram udfa who they kept. On my count that is a solid young group moving forward.
—-Sullivan would add a comp pick

2. Conor Barwin- was a solid leader in the locker room .His play was solid.
— Corey Littleton adds depth in multiple spots.

Ejuan Price I think is a better pass rusher than Barwin.
—Carlos Thomas filled in nice as well when Barwin went down. Wade was comfortable with him. ( just saw The Rams just had a story on Barwin though & may come at a discount.
) — Samson Ebukam is a guy ready to start. Maybe even as ILB ?

Joyner ? What would he cost as a franchise player ? I think The Rams have to let him test the FA market.

Nickel Robey Coleman was another of these one year contract guys who The Rams stacked up on replacements.

Blake Countess is solid .
I. Johnson made plays in camp.
M.Christian this guy might be the starter ?
I’ll also add Troy Hill if Webster is healthy & or The Rams add a CB with there #23 pick.

Watkins ? Keep at what price ?

Josh Reynolds I’m high on.
Mike Thomas seems fragile, but he is a good back up.
Copper Kupp lead team in receptions as a rookie.
Woods was the leader of the group.
Pharoh Copper is still only 22 ? & made the pro bowl.

Tavon Austin ?? How much does McVay like him ? He tried to play him all over the place.

If both Sammy & Tavon leave The Rams need to draft a WR high.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tag TruJo? He’ll no, I could see maybe Joyner but nobody else. Cutting a player makes them ineligible for a comp pick it has to be somebody who completed their contract. As for Sullivan and Barwin they aren’t likely to earn a comp pick. There are a max of 32 each year awarded so they’ll likely go to the free agents signing the biggest contracts. Also I seem to be one of the only people not interested in signing Easley, I think our DE depth is just fine.

F - Tru !! His #22 jersey is already gone !!

I’m talking franchise tag at all ??

Will Joyner & Watkins bring in comp picks ?

How would Tru bring a #1 comp ?

Cousins will only bring a 3rd pick ??

—Thanks for keeping me straight on comp picks.
The Rams should keep Robbie Coleman then .
Resign Cody Davies & M. Christian maybe a solid .safety.

Barwin looks like he will be brought back

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah the tagging Tru days are gone. And barring him signing an appropriate contract for his performance level--which is unlikely given history plus how close FA is--he is good as gone. Bottom line here is CB2s are easier to find than the shutdown guys, and he's never been that nor will he ever be. So let some team overpay him, could care less.

Dom Easely was a Pats castaway due to his rehab approach and injury side of things. The dude cannot be trusted to stay healthy, and you don't pay a guy who can't get off the training table. He needs to go.

I think what's critical is ensuring they PAY the impact/core type players then continue to draft/develop around them. You gotta have some JAGs on a roster, and that's fine as long as they're contributing on teams, competing hard, and not overpaid. The JAGs who are overpaid need to go. The JAGs who are getting too long in the tooth per position (i.e. RB age out of the league quicker) need to go. It's really not a tough equation to follow IMO, key is can you be disciplined enough to properly identify and make hard calls, then hit in the draft enough to do it.

Lastly, the Rams defense came unraveled down the stretch vs better opponents, and was exposed in depth in multiple games (secondary depth exposed vs Vikings, DL depth exposed vs Falcons, etc). And the fact is that improving the defense should be the top priority on the Rams' offseason plan.

Second priority should be improved 12 personnel package. Their 12 package sucked. And to field a good unit there in McVay's scheme you need two guys who can be counted on in the passing game, and depth. They're missing a piece there who can stretch the seam and run option routes with high success rate. If they can add that, it will significantly improve our offense vs the toughest defenses and help the Rams to grow into the kind of offense that can put up points in a playoff environment vs making the Falcons' defense look like the 85 Bears.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
F - Tru !! His #22 jersey is already gone !!

I’m talking franchise tag at all ??

Will Joyner & Watkins bring in comp picks ?

How would Tru bring a #1 comp ?

Cousins will only bring a 3rd pick ??
Not a first round comp was talking the first comp pick in order. He won’t get that Cousins will, but the more he’s paid the higher on the list we’d be.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah the tagging Tru days are gone. And barring him signing an appropriate contract for his performance level--which is unlikely given history plus how close FA is--he is good as gone. Bottom line here is CB2s are easier to find than the shutdown guys, and he's never been that nor will he ever be. So let some team overpay him, could care less.

Dom Easely was a Pats castaway due to his rehab approach and injury side of things. The dude cannot be trusted to stay healthy, and you don't pay a guy who can't get off the training table. He needs to go.

I think what's critical is ensuring they PAY the impact/core type players then continue to draft/develop around them. You gotta have some JAGs on a roster, and that's fine as long as they're contributing on teams, competing hard, and not overpaid. The JAGs who are overpaid need to go. The JAGs who are getting too long in the tooth per position (i.e. RB age out of the league quicker) need to go. It's really not a tough equation to follow IMO, key is can you be disciplined enough to properly identify and make hard calls, then hit in the draft enough to do it.

Lastly, the Rams defense came unraveled down the stretch vs better opponents, and was exposed in depth in multiple games (secondary depth exposed vs Vikings, DL depth exposed vs Falcons, etc). And the fact is that improving the defense should be the top priority on the Rams' offseason plan.

Second priority should be improved 12 personnel package. Their 12 package sucked. And to field a good unit there in McVay's scheme you need two guys who can be counted on in the passing game, and depth. They're missing a piece there who can stretch the seam and run option routes with high success rate. If they can add that, it will significantly improve our offense vs the toughest defenses and help the Rams to grow into the kind of offense that can put up points in a playoff environment vs making the Falcons' defense look like the 85 Bears.

The Franchise tag has been used with The Rams how many times ?
Tru - 2 times
OJ - ?
I can’t think of very many times they have used it at all ?

—Dom Easley at what price ?Will see what Wade thinks. He talked about his loss though. He played for Fishers group , but Wade was high on him.

Your right about the WR group. The Rams have some good wr though.
— It starts with Sammy. He could be that guy ? I would try to sign him , but not franchise him. Same with Joyner.

I believe in building through the draft. The Rams keep losing picks though. 2018 & 2019 2nd rd picks.

I think Snead,Demoff, & Fisher set The Rams back on some of there signings along with trading up for Goff.
Don’t get me wrong on the Goff trade. The Rams had to solid NFL QB’s . I can say for sure now , even Super Bowl capable, & NFC Championship capable. When you have to QB’s you can sign for cheap & still have even drafted a Dak Prescott type late.

AJ McCarron is a good example of value vs Mo Alexander who Fisher fell in love with.

The defense is always something you try to build on. Yes at the end the defense didn’t hold up against Atlanta, but how many turnovers , bad Field position , and not that many points.
Will see where The Rams go to fill holes ?
They are only a couple players away.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not a first round comp was talking the first comp pick in order. He won’t get that Cousins will, but the more he’s paid the higher on the list we’d be.

I get it , but # 1 if ever is going to be Cousins.
Talk about a player playing his cards right. He believed in himself & will get paid better than anyone has ever in NFL history.

The sad thing is Demoff not paying Donald ?
I mean if we look at it in control & cards though & Donald is that guy who is a lunch pale guy. He misses camp again & The Rams franchise him the next 2 years after that ?
A team only has so much cap space & has to work within the cap.

As much as you like a guy you have to do what’s best for the franchise.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Poor - inferior- decision (The Rams should not resign Sullivan)

Well you look at the depth chart & the writing is sort of on the wall ??

I like Sullivan & what he has meant to The Rams. Neary might be the future ?
The Big 5 played well together. Whitworth has a good relationship with him , so as far as everything he brings to The Rams you might be right. It won’t be my decision, but I think Kromer has been thinking that way from early 2017 ? Sullivan wasn’t even The Rams first choice.
Will find out in just a couple weeks ?