Trons Xmas Mockstravaganza 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Usually I have a midseason mock and at least one or more after that before the season ends but have been busy with work and to be honest, quite lazy this year. But have 5 days off of work and got nothing to do and am fully rested so I figure, might as well pump out my first "grade A" mock of the year.(and now I realize the new year is around the corner so i guess a more appropriate to call it the last mock of the year? Naaa, first mock of this football year. See, now im rambling and your losing interest so I will just get into it!!!

Not gonna go over who we re-sign and who we release, we already know the major players who we should keep and get rid of. And yes, re-sign Bradford to 2 year, $20mil.

As for picking up FA's, never really get well into that, especially since the Rams never pick up who I am even close to predicting. So not really going to go into FA at this time. Maybe in the next mock I will dive into that beast.

The Raiders center seems a common pickup for us(so doubt we get him). That DT from the Lions is another common one, and seems a good possibility if Langford is dropped.

Enough of that nonsense, lets get to the good shit!!!!!

The Draft:

First, were gonna start off with a trade!!! yes a trade!!!! I knew thatd get your interest back into my rambling!!!! Muahahahaha!!!......ok, im done...moving along..to the trade!!!!!

At this point it doesnt matter who we trade with or why, but for a good reference point, we are trading from #10 back to.......#23? Sound good? no? I dont care if you dont like, my mock remember?

So what do we get for the trade back? A latish 2nd round pick and a 4th to recoup part of what we lost in the Barron trade.

Now these are our picks have to use.

now to the selections!!!

Marcus Peters
Cornerback
6'0 198lbs

marcus-peters-ncaa-football-washington-stanford-850x560.jpg
A cornerback? A cornerback who got kicked off his team? What the hell is this shit?? Calm down guys!!! jeeze!! I don't trust JJ, and not 100% sold on Tru just yet. Gaines is a baller.
Physicality and athleticism regularly stood out against top competition. Among his best attributes is recognition, as Peters plays the receiver very well, turning back toward the ball as the wideout does and frequently knocking the ball away or intercepting it. Peters' aggression is just as evident in his tackling. Whether it be against a receiver or coming up in run support, he is a physical hitter who looks to intimidate opponents.

Ty Sambrailo
Offensive Tackle
6'5 315lbs

8148837.jpg
Played tackle but will be moved inside to Guard. Sambrailo has the length and footwork to remain at tackle but his girth and aggression also project well inside. Has the lower-body agility and attitude to thrive against pro rushers. Drango would be ok here too, but I am weary of those Baylor linemen.

Cameron Erving
Center
6'5 308lbs
cameron-erving.jpg
Say hello to our new center. Versatile athlete who has transitioned from the defensive side of the ball to start at both left tackle and center. Boasts a pretty remarkable combination of size (6-feet-5, 309 pounds) and athleticism, and blends length with surprisingly light feet and flexibility.
As a run-blocker, displays the toughness and aggression that made him an impact performer on the other side of the football as he works to finish opponents with strong hands and impressive natural power in his lower half. Frequently asked to block at the second level. He pulls smoothly, showing impressive initial quickness and acceleration for a man of his size.

Shane Carden
Quarterback
6'2 221lbs

3144314.jpg
I really had a hard time with the QB's this year. It is definitely not a year to really be needing a QB. But we need to try someone out, and Carden is good value in the 3rd. And plus, he looks like fucking Brett Favre!!! So he must be good!! right???
Decent arm, good anticipation, goes through his reads better than many of the other options.

Jalston Fowler
Full Back
6'1 249lbs

9974489-large.jpg
Big, bruising, physical mack truck who can block, catch, and has good mobility and speed for his size. A do it all FB and an extra blocker for when our line has an off day...

Tyler Marz
Offensive Tackle
6'5 321lbs

3106652.JPG
Another lineman? Hell fuckin yea another lineman!!! Marz has had a great year blocking for Melvin Gordon. He provides good depth for the Guard or tackle position.

Mike Hull
Linebacker
6'0 232lbs
rn_g_mikehull_ms_576.jpg

Has played both inside and outside. Has health concerns but is a top LB in the Big 10 when healthy. Good depth since Dunbar wont be around..

So thats the picks. Got a QB, lots of linemen to repair our line and add some depth, and even grabbed one of the top CB's!! And a beast of a FB who can do it all.

Hope you enjoyed my mock folks, comment your utter amazement of it if you with. And Merry Christmas!!!!! GO RAMS!!!!​

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm not a draftnik by any stretch of the imagination so I will let the others who are analyze your mock. I have to say though that this was one entertaining read. You definitely have some writing skills.

Btw my perfect draft is ALL O-linemen. (y)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not a draftnik by any stretch of the imagination so I will let the others who are analyze your mock. I have to say though that this was one entertaining read. You definitely have some writing skills.

Btw my perfect draft is ALL O-linemen. (y)

A lot of the players bio's i copied and pasted from cbs sports. so hopefully you were complementing the rest of the writing lol.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A lot of the players bio's i copied and pasted from cbs sports. so hopefully you were complementing the rest of the writing lol.

Then you have editor skills. Some people can't take a compliment. :cool:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A CB in Round 1? That's a tough one to swallow for me. Especially with the rumors out there about Peters.

I'm also not so sure about Sambrailo. Not sold he has the power and functional strength to play OG in our scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe, but it's alot easier to swallow than taking a RB in the first rd.

I strongly disagree.

We have Jenkins, Joyner, Gaines, and Johnson at CB. We have talent at HB too but I haven't seen elite game changing talent. So if you think Gurley or Gordon can be that guy...why not? We all saw what Faulk and Dickerson could do for us.

At CB, though, we've seen flashes from Gaines, Jenkins, and Johnson that they can be top players. Jenkins and Johnson are inconsistent but they're young and I believe both are quality starters.

Plus, our defense is already a strong unit. Our offense needs work. Right now, I'm hoping the value is on the OL...because I think we need to fix it. But I would have a hard time seeing a CB in this class as the best value in the first.

duckhunter

Starter
Like the trade down. QB check, Multiple OLine check, LB check.

Favorite pick in this draft-T Marz. I do like the Badgers linemen, they're technique is good and they can often contribute early. They're rough and ready.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like the Shane Carden pick and that you framed it so he looked like Favre. Ty Sambrailo would not be my choice for offensive line IMO there will better options.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
A CB in Round 1? That's a tough one to swallow for me. Especially with the rumors out there about Peters.

I'm also not so sure about Sambrailo. Not sold he has the power and functional strength to play OG in our scheme.

I understand its not our primal need, but It's kind of like your opinion of grabbing Gurley or Gordon. I dont think our cb unit is elite, and can be better so I want to make it as good as possible to go along with our elite D-line. And I think getting an elite cb would really help our cb unit out.

I havent done enough homework on guards and tackles and only spent a few hours reviewing them. I was really torn on who to take there. They really could take any guard or tackles that fits our scheme at that point and I would be happy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Like the trade down. QB check, Multiple OLine check, LB check.

Favorite pick in this draft-T Marz. I do like the Badgers linemen, they're technique is good and they can often contribute early. They're rough and ready.
thanks! I like Badger lineman as well. And I like Marz a lil bit more than Havensten(or however its spelled).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Hull will go before round 7. Not a fan of most of this draft.

I was just going by CBS Sports rankings and they had him as a 6-7th rounder.

Sorry I disappointed you with my mock :(

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like the Shane Carden pick and that you framed it so he looked like Favre. Ty Sambrailo would not be my choice for offensive line IMO there will better options.
I stole that pic from google images lol. Laughed my ass off when I first saw it.

Still need to review lineman more but you are probably right.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was just going by CBS Sports rankings and they had him as a 6-7th rounder.

Sorry I disappointed you with my mock :(

LOL nothing to be sorry about.

Hull is not as athletic as what the NFL prefers but he is in the mold of a Chris Borland. Off the charts instincts are what makes Hulls game and I don't think teams overlook it this time around. The same was said about Poszluzny, and Lee and both are impactful linebackers in the NFL.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
LOL nothing to be sorry about.

Hull is not as athletic as what the NFL prefers but he is in the mold of a Chris Borland. Off the charts instincts are what makes Hulls game and I don't think teams overlook it this time around. The same was said about Poszluzny, and Lee and both are impactful linebackers in the NFL.

You're probably right teams wont overlook him. I wanted Borland last year and would love to have one of those types of LBers since we really only have two of starter quality.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I strongly disagree.

We have Jenkins, Joyner, Gaines, and Johnson at CB. We have talent at HB too but I haven't seen elite game changing talent. So if you think Gurley or Gordon can be that guy...why not? We all saw what Faulk and Dickerson could do for us.

At CB, though, we've seen flashes from Gaines, Jenkins, and Johnson that they can be top players. Jenkins and Johnson are inconsistent but they're young and I believe both are quality starters.

Plus, our defense is already a strong unit. Our offense needs work. Right now, I'm hoping the value is on the OL...because I think we need to fix it. But I would have a hard time seeing a CB in this class as the best value in the first.
I like our DB's and RB's too, but if i were to nitpick both positions the Rams still need an elite corner. We also still need a RB with better 3rd down skills. Now if we knew that the top RB's coming out every year were truly NFL ready, three down backs...fine, not a bad pick at all. Problem is that many of these so called all purpose three down backs getting drafted in the first rd aren't getting it done at the next level.

I'd much rather draft a BPA corner in the first rd than a BPA running back. You can never have too many corners. As for the 3rd down RB skills that we need, a complimentary back like that can be found deeper in the draft. Don't get me wrong, if we could draft the next Adrian Peterson in the first rd...hell yeah. But as for my opinion... I'm not sold on the new breed of RB's coming out recently that are being "touted" as 1st rd impact guys.

On this roster i'll take a shot at the first rd CB over RB.
BTW i totally agree with you that the defense has been addressed nicely, and that this draft should prob be focused more on fixing the offense. That doesn't mean that i'd be only looking at offense with our first pick though.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like our DB's and RB's too, but if i were to nitpick both positions the Rams still need an elite corner. We also still need a RB with better 3rd down skills. Now if we knew that the top RB's coming out every year were truly NFL ready, three down backs...fine, not a bad pick at all. Problem is that many of these so called all purpose three down backs getting drafted in the first rd aren't getting it done at the next level.

I disagree with you. We don't need an elite CB. We are fine at the position. We could use an elite CB...but so could 31 other NFL teams.

That all said, I feel better about our CBs than I do our HBs...and I think the HB draft is much stronger than the CB draft. I'd take a risk on Gurley and his injury before Peters and his character issues...but that's just me.

I'd much rather draft a BPA corner in the first rd than a BPA running back. You can never have too many corners. As for the 3rd down RB skills that we need, a complimentary back like that can be found deeper in the draft. Don't get me wrong, if we could draft the next Adrian Peterson in the first rd...hell yeah. But as for my opinion... I'm not sold on the new breed of RB's coming out recently that are being "touted" as 1st rd impact guys.

Yes, you can have too many CBs. You are rarely going to have more than 3 CBs on the field at one time...and you'll almost never have more than 4. We already have our four imo. So unless you're planning on letting Janoris Jenkins or Trumaine walk, I don't see why we'd go after another CB...unless he's just too good value/talent to pass up.(even assuming Joyner moves to FS, McLeod has proven himself a competent slot CB...so he'd slide into the dime CB role)

On this roster i'll take a shot at the first rd CB over RB.

Not a chance in hell for me. And that's partially because this isn't a strong CB class and partially because we are stocked at that position while we aren't as stocked at HB.

BTW i totally agree with you that the defense has been addressed nicely, and that this draft should prob be focused more on fixing the offense. That doesn't mean that i'd be only looking at offense with our first pick though.

For me to draft a defensive player in Round 1, I'm going to have to rate him VERY highly.

I'm also not intent on drafting a HB...but if we had a late 1st rounder and Gurley is sitting there, I'd probably take him. I'd like to see us take advantage of the talent at the top of the draft on the OL...or possibly WR. But I'd really like for us to be in a spot where an OL is the best value.

And, of course, I didn't mention Jameis Winston but he's #1 on my board.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I disagree with you. We don't need an elite CB. We are fine at the position. We could use an elite CB...but so could 31 other NFL teams.

That all said, I feel better about our CBs than I do our HBs...and I think the HB draft is much stronger than the CB draft. I'd take a risk on Gurley and his injury before Peters and his character issues...but that's just me.

Yes, you can have too many CBs. You are rarely going to have more than 3 CBs on the field at one time...and you'll almost never have more than 4. We already have our four imo. So unless you're planning on letting Janoris Jenkins or Trumaine walk, I don't see why we'd go after another CB...unless he's just too good value/talent to pass up.(even assuming Joyner moves to FS, McLeod has proven himself a competent slot CB...so he'd slide into the dime CB role)

Not a chance in hell for me. And that's partially because this isn't a strong CB class and partially because we are stocked at that position while we aren't as stocked at HB.

For me to draft a defensive player in Round 1, I'm going to have to rate him VERY highly.

I'm also not intent on drafting a HB...but if we had a late 1st rounder and Gurley is sitting there, I'd probably take him. I'd like to see us take advantage of the talent at the top of the draft on the OL...or possibly WR. But I'd really like for us to be in a spot where an OL is the best value.

And, of course, I didn't mention Jameis Winston but he's #1 on my board.
Well you're debating specifically about this 2014 class evaluation here. That's fine. I'm talking from more of a CB vs RB in the first round in terms of draft approach and for this team standpoint.
I haven't looked anyone over yet :D

No way do you put RB over CB in terms of position. Shutdown, elite corners are much more highly valued than RB's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well you're debating specifically about this 2014 class evaluation here. That's fine. I'm talking from more of a CB vs RB in the first round in terms of draft approach and for this team standpoint.
I haven't looked anyone over yet :D

No way do you put RB over CB in terms of position. Shutdown, elite corners are much more highly valued than RB's.

How many shutdown elite CBs are there in the NFL at one time? Very very few and those guys typically end up in the HOF. And I disagree with you. I value a Marshall Faulk, LT, Adrian Peterson, etc. just as highly as I do a Darrelle Revis, Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, etc.

If not more highly.

And you know me and the draft...I am talking specifically this class's evaluation. ;)