Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It’s just one guy’s opinion, but it’s great to see early concerns.

Thats 3 first round picks for a developmental QB.

season 4 laughing GIF

TexasRam

Legend
Yeah, I used to think accuracy was priority #1, until Josh Allen. So many communicated that Allen could not hit the broad side of a barn & that the Bills drafted a bust & look at them now.
Busts go to Hero for a few years then back to Bust when the Oline or surrounding cast breaks down. Allen's inaccuracy vs the Chiefs in the playoffs popped back up. Was one of the worst performances I've seen in years from an accuracy standpoint. His annointing is a little premature in my book. But if you want to crown his ass then crown him :part:

TexasRam

Legend
The NFL is having a real identity crisis surrounding QB's. Finding an accurate pocket passer that can also scramble about is what everyone wants. But some want to find that athlete and work on mechanics and accuracy, others are more hell bent on that pocket passer that shows some ability to move and hope to refine his game or build that Oline around him.

Even Mahomes in the Superbowl was near useless with his Oline patched together, outplayed by no wheels Brady again.

Much like Russell Wilson vs the Rams.

The ESPN mantra of the new era QB being athletic is a very binary way of seeing the situation, if you are not accurate you are going to have problems and defenses are eventually going to anticipate your tendencies and capitalize on your weakness. See Lamar Jackson.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IDK, many were down on Allen and questioned him from a couple of tweets too, but he & Jackson were more proven then Lance, I'm just comparing the accuracy angle because that was in question with both Allen & Jackson and let's not forget, many wanted Jackson to play WR, please don't act like Jackson was a sure thing at QB.

Kyle Shanahan has made every QB he's been around better, Cousins, Ryan, Garoppolo & even Nicky Mullens, so as much as I hope that Lance is a bust, I'm betting on Shanahan because of his history with QB's, but again, I hope Lance looses every game he plays against the Los Angeles Rams.

I guess my point more than anything
is that Trey Lance was not a QB most Draftniks or teams were really talking about.There were rumors about Jones being the choice.It’s hard to say what QB will make it in The NFL

We can go down The History of the NFL rookie QB’s.I’ve watched many of years. I elect for now not to get into it.Actually moving away from Sports more than ever in my Life.SOFI Stadium is a Bucket List thing.I might get a friend a ticket for the 1st. Game ever there with Fans ? He is a long time local friend.When The Rams moved from LA(Coliseum) to Anaheim stadium(OC) we witnessed our Buddy freak out & start throwing stuff in the trash.Break his collection & throwing it.Funny stuff to see actually.I did question him.
It was about loyalty to
LA.I LMAO and told him it’s easier to get to Angels Stadium than LA’s.That was when I decided I was a Life Time Rams Fan.It was cool having The Rams local no matter what.Georgia might have had something to do with it as well? Just saying I’ve watched QB’s & The NFL for awhile.Always HATED Rams Dans Boo’ing The starting QB’sJamea Nareia being one of them.
My little Rant as a NFL & Rams(sports) Fan. I could go on about how I act.I’ll go to a Game & Yell & scream.I’ve done it with good results as a Lakers,Kings Fan. Angels & Rams I could say as well? This goes way back though. This season is meaningful.
DJ1 with The Rams at SOFI winning it ALL in 2021 (2022) would be Amazing!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
. But if you want to crown his ass then crown him :part:

Not looking to crown anyone, just cold hard facts. Many including myself have posted about accuracy, however, Allen & Lamar Jackson have improved in that area working continuously at their craft. So that's why I wonder with everything available today.

Overall, nobody wants Lance to fail in San Francisco more than me, however, he's a big kid, with big hands, big body, big arm, athletic and most communicate extremely bright. At 20 years of age, IMHO if I was coaching those are attributes I could work with.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just reminds me of Cardale Jones in that in limited play, on a dominant team, he looked unstoppable. Had he gone pro right then and there he may have been drafted higher than the 4th round he inevitably went in. A little more tape on him, he wasnt all that.
Sure Lance had eye-popping stats, but before Wentz there was Brock Jensen who had the eye popping stats too, 107 TD only 21 INT in 4 years with 3 National Championships. He barely had a cup of coffee in the NFL as an undrafted FA.
Color me unimpressed

nighttrain

Legend
always happy to imagine a 49erWhiner bust and this one would sure make me grin!!!!!!!!!
always hopeful
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just reminds me of Cardale Jones in that in limited play, on a dominant team, he looked unstoppable. Had he gone pro right then and there he may have been drafted higher than the 4th round he inevitably went in. A little more tape on him, he wasnt all that.
Sure Lance had eye-popping stats, but before Wentz there was Brock Jensen who had the eye popping stats too, 107 TD only 21 INT in 4 years with 3 National Championships. He barely had a cup of coffee in the NFL as an undrafted FA.
Color me unimpressed
Hope you're right.

nighttrain

Legend
one last thot, I just find it difficult to image North Dakota State as a football factory for NFL QB's....one time is a longshot twice, wow, what are the odds
train

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So, what we’re saying here is, Lance has the huge bust potential of a genetically engineered clone of Dolly Parton and Sophia Vergara.

Good to know!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
one last thot, I just find it difficult to image North Dakota State as a football factory for NFL QB's....one time is a longshot twice, wow, what are the odds
train
Yep. The odds against Lance being great or even average just keep piling up.

I don’t wish the kid to be a failure, just not an enormous success:quiet:. It would be funny if the Niners just wasted all of that draft capital on an average QB, of which they already had.

The Rams had their savior in Bradford, the Niners in Smith. Then the Rams traded a bunch of picks to move up for Goff, who turned out to be average. Now the Niners trade a bunch of picks for Lance. Let’s hope the pattern continues at least this far, and that the real home run move was the race was for Stafford, which the Rams won.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Color me unimpressed

Jones is a good one. I was thinking Kyle Boller.

He shot up draft boards. Wow’d everyone throwing passes from his knees. But inaccuracy and routine breakdown of mechanics doomed him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’d be excited if the Rams drafted Lance, great athlete, rocket for an arm & only 20 years old, plus I would trust our scouts, GM & Head Coach. I guarantee you this, 49er fans were elated they took Lance over Jones.

Your point about Trey Lance only being 20.The timing is right as well for the 9ers to develop him.I don’t think he will do much in 2021.This preseason he will get a lot of good experience.I’m more upset the 9ers drafted the RB out of Ohio State.He looked really good against Clemson.

Wentz & Goff came out together.The experience Carson had was so much more than Lance both coming out of SDS.
—Goff was raw & might have been a disaster if Jeff Fisher had another season with him? I was not a Fan of the Pick at ALL!!! I was a Foles fan & liked Case as a solid QB as well.I lost a lot of money the season before.The hit Nick Foles took against GB(Clay), & the hit Keenan took against Baltimore which was disgusting that he was allowed to take the snap after that.

My point being you never really know.

—Jones behind Cam in NE
—Fields behind Dalton(Foles?)
—Lawrence?? How good is he?
—Wilson?? A lot of pressure
—Trey behind Jimmy G

This QB class is pretty deep.The first 2 in Fields & Jones get time to develop under good HC/OC(QB’s). Trey as well,so the cost of 3 draft picks I think is my biggest problem with it.
Trey is not NFL ready,the fact he is only 20 & has time to develop will give him an excellent chance to be successful.

I like The Rams Perkins,also this other guy from Pittsburgh is intriguing.Developing QB’s can take time as well. Mcvay did well with Jared Goff & Carson Wentz starts off with a new home.Teddy in Denver & Carolina gets the Ex-Sc QB.
—Who knows,but I think The Rams trading for a known product in Matthew Stafford was the BEST way to GO!!

dang

Legend
Not looking to crown anyone, just cold hard facts. Many including myself have posted about accuracy, however, Allen & Lamar Jackson have improved in that area working continuously at their craft. So that's why I wonder with everything available today.

Overall, nobody wants Lance to fail in San Francisco more than me, however, he's a big kid, with big hands, big body, big arm, athletic and most communicate extremely bright. At 20 years of age, IMHO if I was coaching those are attributes I could work with.
I watched Lance play in the playoffs his freshman year. He is extremely talented and intuitive. He is only 20 though so if SF is smart they will allow him 2 years to develop. If all goes well they will have a good QB situation with a 22 year old QB at the helm. If they go too early with him then his confidence and body may take too much of a hit too early in his development. The real story is what SF is going to do with Jimmy G-string. JG can’t be happy but he gets an opportunity to lead SF and prove his worth for another year or 2.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have come around to the Mike Martz take on QBs: that he has to be your most competitive player on the field.

Accuracy is important sure. But nowadays so is quick processing and ability at a minimum to move in the pocket without disrupting reads.

Still though if I were to make a decision on which QB to draft compete would be #1.

And tbh when I consider AD maybe that spans all positions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have come around to the Mike Martz take on QBs: that he has to be your most competitive player on the field.

Accuracy is important sure. But nowadays so is quick processing and ability at a minimum to move in the pocket without disrupting reads.

Still though if I were to make a decision on which QB to draft compete would be #1.

And tbh when I consider AD maybe that spans all positions.

For me... Right next to competitive fire is;

quick processing

How to gauge that is tough, but maybe the evaluators over complicate it.

Ram65

Legend
Interesting debate. Accuracy/mechanics over physical attributes. I'm not a QB guru but, I think when a QB gets pressured he reverts to his natural mechanics.

Who knows how Lance will end up in a few years. He does check a few boxes with speed, supposed football IQ, and willingness to study. Add that mid 4.5 speed (estimated at 4.55 or so) and ability as an RPO QB he could better than average. He still has limited experience. I'm sure KS has a plan to bring him along. I hope it doesn't work.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Every draft pick is unknown until the actually play. And many times it takes several years to know if it was worth it. The whiners gave up two future first round picks and a 3rd. They say it was 3 but they moved up from 12 to 3rd making it a net two first rounders. Plus the 3rd.

I know some people might think "The Rams have given up a bunch of firsts and they keep winning". The difference is, we gave them up for proven commodities. The 49ers are taking one heckuva gamble. If it works out, great. If it doesn't don't expect Shanahan and Lynch to remain employed for long.

A lot of people are enamored with Shanahan. Seems like there are a few here on this board too. But I subscribe to the old "You are what your record says you are" philosophy. He's coach with 3 losing seasons out of 4. He's also in a position to survive another losing season. Lance may need more time. So he'll get a pass if they don't win enough this season.