Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Lol how is this even a thread? After one week of OTAs? My god.

Seems like a lot of people are trying to will this into existence. News flash, the kid is gonna be good. Kyle Shannahan beats us with Nick fucking Mullins.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And as we know, you can't teach footwork, confidence and mechanics to a QB past the age of 12. I mean you can refine them, but not to an NFL caliber elite level.
That's not correct.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Kyle Shannahan beats us with Nick fucking Mullins.
I'm sure we've lost more games to niner backups than any other team. Mullins, Gabbert, Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, Tim Rattay, Druckenmiller, Grbac, Bono and Steve Young!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Come'on man. You complete missed the point of this thread. No one is trying to be non-bias here. Where there is an opportunity to dump on the Whiners, we must embrace it.
Oh I love dumping on the 9ers. But I'm not gonna get all stupid calling a fresh draft pick a bust. I'm hoping he busts no doubt. But don't think for a minute the 9ers didn't know what they were getting into with him.

dang

Legend
Surprise, surprise... The Whiners own media is reporting that there are massive problems with Trey Lance.

And as we know, you can't teach footwork, confidence and mechanics to a QB past the age of 12. I mean you can refine them, but not to an NFL caliber elite level.

The real question is WHEN does Shanny's ego destroy the Whiners? No first round picks and a bust QB sure is a good start.

View: https://youtu.be/6E8Te1A52fE

You lost me at ‘49ers Faithful’.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d be excited if the Rams drafted Lance, great athlete, rocket for an arm & only 20 years old, plus I would trust our scouts, GM & Head Coach. I guarantee you this, 49er fans were elated they took Lance over Jones.
First round QBs bust or end up being average a lot more than they end up being great. I’m new t writing Lance off but the odds aren’t in his favors

oldnotdead

Legend
Anyone who said this obviously doesn't know what you want in an NFL QB. Trey has good mobility, knows how to read and go through his progressions, good arm strength but most of all good accuracy at all levels. Trey is far ahead of where Murray was as a rookie. He's going to get good coaching and it's why IMO he will be the #3 QB in the NFCW. He is going to get Kliff fired once he hits his stride as AZ will go back to being #4 in the division with SF and Seattle fighting for #2.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I love dumping on the 9ers. But I'm not gonna get all stupid calling a fresh draft pick a bust. I'm hoping he busts no doubt. But don't think for a minute the 9ers didn't know what they were getting into with him.
YOUSONOFA!
44Pip7X.gif

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Jimmy G has durability issues. You may not have to force the issue. Nothing wrong with Trey learning the game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
First round QBs bust or end up being average a lot more than they end up being great. I’m new t writing Lance off but the odds aren’t in his favors

Agreed, but big arm, smart and very athletic, barring injury, I could work with that.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Let's keep in mind that all rookie brains are in full overload mode and the process
of thinking more than playing the game, usually ends up in poor play
As the ratio balances, then one can be more accurate in accessing what they really have in said player.
That being said Lance struggled with big time overthrows in college as well

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Here are some observations on Lance's OTA practices from a separate source

NBC Sports Bayarea

Jennifer Lee Chan
Tue, May 25, 2021, 6:28 PM

It hasn’t even been two weeks, but Trey Lance has lived up to expectations thus far.

After the 49ers’ second practice of OTAs, Kyle Shanahan spoke to the media Tuesday about the No. 3 overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft. Team drills are limited due to offseason rules, but the coach has been impressed with how the rookie has been adapting to his new surroundings.

San Francisco held only 10 full-team drills on Tuesday. Jimmy Garoppolo was under center for four reps and Lance led the offense for the remaining six plays. What has transpired off the field is what has impressed Shanahan the most.

“It’s really been great just watching the whole group being together,” Shanahan said. “It’s tough when there’s only one position and there’s five guys to get reps and we don’t have a lot of reps going through.

“What all five of those guys have been doing, hanging out together every day and in the meeting rooms, that’s what I’ve been impressed with the most. These two practices, I think both have done a good job.”

In Lance’s six team reps, he handed off the ball three times, one each to Trey Sermon, Elijah Mitchell and Wayne Gallman. Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel each caught one of Lance's two completed passes. His lone incompletion was an overthrow intended for Samuel.

Each quarterback took about a dozen reps in 7-on-7 drills, Lance on the field closest to the media and Garoppolo on the far location. Lance completed five of his six attempts in his first 7-on-7 period. His lone incompletion was a pass tipped by rookie tight end Josh Pederson and intercepted by safety Tavon Wilson.

In Lance’s second 7-on-7 session, he completed three of his six pass attempts. He was intercepted once by linebacker Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles and nearly picked off a second time on a ball intended for and tipped by Travis Benjamin.

Shanahan understands that Lance has a lot on his plate and isn’t expecting to see a mistake-free quarterback this early in the process. He believes that what happens off the field is a higher priority.

“We aren’t doing enough to really get too into the football or make any judgements of guys,” Shanahan said. “We are throwing a lot at Trey that he’s hearing for the first time. As a player, you know the ability that he has, you see that on tape. Being with him these last two weeks, he's been everything that we hoped and more.

"He's a very smart kid, he's a very humble kid, I think he's a very natural leader and I think the guys have gravitated to him."

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I’d be excited if the Rams drafted Lance, great athlete, rocket for an arm & only 20 years old, plus I would trust our scouts, GM & Head Coach. I guarantee you this, 49er fans were elated they took Lance over Jones.
I would be disappointed if the rams took Lance over jones, but then again accuracy sits higher on my
list of necessary qualities than some.
Warner had Jones as his 3rd best rookie QB's and the reason was accuracy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Warner had Jones as his 3rd best rookie QB's and the reason was accuracy.
Yeah, I used to think accuracy was priority #1, until Josh Allen. So many communicated that Allen could not hit the broad side of a barn & that the Bills drafted a bust & look at them now.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I can't wait to see all these whiner fails at QB again this year so I can troll the whiner faithless boards and tell them Krapperdick is still available. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
To know how we really feel just ask yourselves this. 'Would I be excited if Trey Lance was on the Rams?'

From my gut I say no. He may pan out but I think he ends up being a middling QB.
My answer is no as well.
I view Lance as VERY risky.