Tre Mason’s hamstring could leave the Rams thin in backfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tring-could-leave-the-rams-thin-in-backfield/

Tre Mason’s hamstring could leave the Rams thin in backfield
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 30, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptfkodk3njayztm5ztcznmzjytnjnjgzngiynjkyota4-e1440940838107.jpeg
AP

In a general sense, the Rams are deep in the backfield.

But specific to the regular season opener, they might be a little thin.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, running back Tre Mason left last night’s game with a hamstring strain, creating some doubt about his availability.

With rookie Todd Gurley not expected to play in the opener after tearing his ACL last November, that could stretch the depth there.

The Rams still have Isaiah Pead and Benny Cunningham, so there are still some serviceable options. But without the top two, it could certainly change their game plans.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I found it interesting that Zac Stacy had a great night with the Jets.."Yikes!"

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His 13 carries for 60 yards got his preseason yards per carry average up to 3.6.
He had that flash Touchdown that made NFLN (flip into the endzone) last night. Not sorry we traded him, Mason and Gurley are our future

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Not sure Mason will miss much time. He has two weeks to heal. Did someone say it was a bad hammy strain?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd like to see Malcolm Brown get a chance if Mason can't go in the opener, if he makes the roster. Just not sure Pead is the guy.

Not sure Mason will miss much time. He has two weeks to heal. Did someone say it was a bad hammy strain?

Fisher said it was mild and he should be fine, but those hamstrings are tough to predict.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'd like to see Malcolm Brown get a chance if Mason can't go in the opener, if he makes the roster. Just not sure Pead is the guy.

Fisher said it was mild and he should be fine, but those hamstrings are tough to predict.
it doesnt matter who runs the ball if we dont fix the line. Brown or Watts will look just as bad as pead behind first team offense.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The bigger issue is creating running lanes no Running Back will have much success without space to run. So far this pre season there has not been a lot of space. Snead Basically said Watts is on the 53 giving us Mason TG30 and Cunningham as 3 of the 5 available. So with Pead, Reynolds and now the somewhat emerging Brown fighting for the last 2 spots it will be interesting. They will all easily clear the cut to 75. I think Brown is the better runner of the 3 with the 2 former being special teams assets. It could be a worse situation but week 1 may be tricky. Hammy's cover a broad range of time required to heal, it could be a few days to Several weeks.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
it doesnt matter who runs the ball if we dont fix the line. Brown or Watts will look just as bad as pead behind first team offense.

Maybe. I think Watts and Brown both have superior vision than Pead, and have more power to their game. Pead goes down on first contact. They can make something happen even behind a bad OL.

lockdnram21

Legend
Maybe. I think Watts and Brown both have superior vision than Pead, and have more power to their game. Pead goes down on first contact. They can make something happen even behind a bad OL.
not vs starters they both slow as dirt. They slower then Stacy. Even pead looked better previous weeks vs 2nd and 3rd team

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
not vs starters they both slow as dirt. They slower then Stacy. Even pead looked better previous weeks vs 2nd and 3rd team
Alfred Morris is also "slow as dirt", but he can create for himself, just like Watts and Brown can create for themselves. Speed doesn't necessarily matter at RB. Watts is pretty fast though.

Pead never looked better than they did.

I'll just stick with Marshall Faulk's opinion, he tends to know RBs.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

They will shut him down until the opener.. Probably would anyways with roster cuts coming. Going to let Pead, Brown, Watts, et al, vye for remaining spot(s)

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
......Snead Basically said Watts is on the 53....
I thought he said watts didn't count toward the 53....He's number 54 until week 5. He can be in the building...practice....just can't play. No reason to make any decision at all until week 5 because he doesn't take a spot...

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I found it interesting that Zac Stacy had a great night with the Jets.."Yikes!"
WITH Our O Line Stacy wOULD HAVE Fit IN JUST fine. (Sorry for the caps) he is a master of falling forward and getting yards after contact and his vision is amazing. He seemed to never loose yards. When it's no hole there he still got yards. We haven't had a back like that since idk... fualk... maybe tg can do it but no one has shown the abality to make something out of nothing consistently like stacy use too. Im not happy he isn't here, he is a player

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pead gets his shot....Watts is soo lucky.....Brown is a solid RB, hope he stays....This is why backup RB's need to be able to like, umm, run....

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher offers good prognoses on Tre Mason, Jamon Brown
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ffers-good-prognosis-on-tre-mason-jamon-brown

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams were devastated by injury in the third preseason game last year against the Cleveland Browns. In that game, they lost quarterback Sam Bradford for the season and cornerback Trumaine Johnson for about half of it. Guard Rodger Saffold also left that game with an injury.

On Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts, the Rams had a couple of scares but, according to coach Jeff Fisher, neither of them appears to be serious.

Running back Tre Mason departed the game in the first quarter with a strained right hamstring and guard Jamon Brown followed in the second quarter with a sprained right ankle. After the game, Fisher said Mason's hamstring strain is "mild" and said Brown's injury wasn't a high ankle sprain. In other words, neither should miss a lot of time moving forward.

Tre Mason
Rams running back Tre Mason has a hamstring injury, but should be back on his feet quickly, coach Jeff Fisher said.
Mason tweaked the hamstring earlier in training camp but returned last week and started against the Colts. He pulled up a bit on a 14-yard catch-and-run on a screen pass and joked after the game that he had to get the yards before he came out of the game.

When the Rams close the preseason against the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday night, it's unlikely Mason will play.

"I don’t know how long that’s going to be, but he’s a quick healer," Fisher said. "It appears to be mild at this point, but it would be unlikely that he would play this coming Thursday. But I think he’ll be fine."

Brown suffered his injury on quarterback Nick Foles' 44-yard touchdown pass to receiver Chris Givens. Foles, Fisher and the Rams medical staff immediately ran out to Brown, who said he didn't know exactly what happened on the play but had the presence of mind to ask if Givens scored.

Brown went to the bench right away and had his ankle wrapped up before standing on the sideline the rest of the half. He, too, could be held out of Thursday's preseason finale, though Fisher wasn't definitive on it.

“It appears to be just a lateral (low) ankle,” Fisher said. “When you’re talking high ankle, you’ve got problems. When you’re talking lateral, they’ll come back really fast. He wanted to come back in the game; we just kind of held him out.”

Aside from Mason and Brown, the Rams made it through Thursday night without any notable injuries, Fisher said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cunningham is capable of carrying the load if need be.