Trade Barksdale for a 2nd rounder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
My Logic: Some team would love to have him (pass happy Denver). He is a pro bowl level pass blocker for a RT. We would lose depth, but if we have Jake Matthews at RT, Jake Long at LT we are set---except for injuries. We can draft another RT, move Matthews to LT in 2015-16 and all is good, and we got a 2nd rounder.

With a 2nd rounder we could get a good WR for the long term, and Barksdale, unless he is signed to a long term contract is gone next year, anyway. He is $5-6 million per year, as compared to many above average tackles getting paid in this range.

IF the Rams weren't a run first team, I would hope they would sign Barksdale long term

Also, in a draft like this Shazier or someone of his quality might be available later in round 1, early round two--we have ammunition for trade up--or stay put and get another quality safety-CB.

Am I crazy? Or creative or what? Not stupid, right? ;)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd rather not create more holes on the team. At least for a year, we've got a great RT, who we can decide to keep or let go next year.

Besides, I don't think we're getting anywhere near a 2nd for a one year lease on him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with Boffo. Lets not create a hole that needs to be filled when we have a solid, young starter there.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think my thread 'title' is a litle severe, considering we had JOe on here, and aI don't want to insult him. As I said, he is a good player; I don't know how to erase the thread title....to be more polite to Joe.
Football is business, though.
Sorry about this, if it offends.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd rather not create more holes on the team. At least for a year, we've got a great RT, who we can decide to keep or let go next year.

Besides, I don't think we're getting anywhere near a 2nd for a one year lease on him.
Well, the team that trades him would give him a 5 year 30 million contract---he is only 25-26 years old, and he was the 7th rated RT pass blocker. I think Bill Walsh knew how to trade players while they had 'good tread on the tires'....or enough tread. I don't think Barks fits the run first system. Though the exception was the 1st 2013 seahawk game...wow, he was on fire against REd Bryant.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Not offended at all (nor do I think Barksdale would be). I just don't think it's realistic or in the Rams' best interest if it was. That's all.

iced

no....just no...you don't find a diamond in the rough to trade it for pennies

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Well, the team that trades him would give him a 5 year 30 million contract---he is only 25-26 years old, and he was the 7th rated RT pass blocker. I think Bill Walsh knew how to trade players while they had 'good tread on the tires'....or enough tread. I don't think Barks fits the run first system. Though the exception was the 1st 2013 seahawk game...wow, he was on fire against REd Bryant.

Wasn't Joe rated highly in run blocking as well? In fact, higher than he was in pass blocking?

The most recent Rams Addiction podcast talks about exactly this. They said he was 9th overall among all RT's, 8th in pass blocking and 4th in the run game according to PFF. That's what I remember being said anyway. I may be wrong.

Alan

Legend
SteveBrown thinking small:
I think my thread 'title' is a litle severe, considering we had JOe on here, and aI don't want to insult him. As I said, he is a good player; I don't know how to erase the thread title....to be more polite to Joe.
Football is business, though.
Sorry about this, if it offends.
Of the three choices you gave us I pick crazy. ;)
It's not just that the title is bad, it's also a bad idea and a pipe dream. No one is going to give us a 2nd round pick for a guy with only one year left on his contract and why would we do such a thing anyway? He's our only T that can stay on the field. Do you really want to have multiple rookies on the O-line at the same time? Do you really want to trade a known good for an unknown for which we'd probably have to use that 2nd rounder on?

29 more days left Steve. :lifting: :seizure: :cheers:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Sorry...very poor logic on this one.

Barksdale is a good tackle. Period. You don't trade away good young lineman for picks that might turn into Isiah Pead.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Barksdale is a free agent in a year. Nobody gives up a second rounder for one year of a good, but not all time great player. The Rams gave up a second for Faulk. That should put it into perspective. Lots of good players get traded for far less than a second round pick. The Rams got one year of Brandon Lloyd for a fifth round pick.

Besides from the sounds of it the Rams aren't even sure they will take a top tackle in the draft, especially if they trade back. If they do take a top OLT then By next offseason or the one after that they could cut Jake Long and resign Barksdale. They could keep the new guy at Fuard until then. It would eliminate the need to take a guard early in the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nobody is going to give up a 2nd round pick for Barksdale.

I agree fully JB has been one of the better well rounded Right OT's since Turley was here but he sure has much more development to under go before he is worth another teams 2014 2nd round selection. JB was still in rotation with a weak knee Saffold way past the mid point last season. It took an knee & ankle injury to Harvey Dahl and super weak play from Shelley Smith to give JB his first NFL starting position. The use of the adjective GREAT with JB would not be factual. I would highly suggest that we keep JB till he departs for another team for free agency and to be a millionaire in less than a year from now.

If you really think that JB is that good you might want to watch game 17 last season.

fearsomefour

Legend
No for several reasons the biggest being the Barksdale is still young. His best football is ahead of him and who knows what his ceiling is.
The Rams quality and consistency on the O line. Barksdale has the potential to offer both for a long time.
Even if Matthews or Robinson is drafted I am keeping Barksdale at RT and making a big pitch to resign him. If Long is ready week one them either rookie can earn their stripes inside. If either rookie is so talented they are ready to start at LT then Long gets Wally Pipd'.

iced

If either rookie is so talented they are ready to start at LT then Long gets Wally Pipd'.

I think I'll leave the guy at LT who played at a Top 5 level last season, especially in the run game (Long).

I wouldn't expect any prospect to be better than Long.. The best players start,period.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would like to see how well he ranks in pass pro with more 5-7 step drops.
The short passing game with Clemens had to contribute to the decent numbers.
I'm not knocking Barksdale. I would like to see if he can consistently hold his ground under longer plays.