Trade Barksdale for a 2nd rounder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am happy to hear I am wrong; but, then we should sign him to a 5 year contract. If we draft Matthews, what about Jake Long? I got stupid quick, thanks;)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
A 2nd rounder for a top 7 right tackle at age 25. I would do it in a second! He is known commodity, as the tape shows....i still don't think he is a good run blocker--but, I am sure I am wrong.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I agree fully JB has been one of the better well rounded Right OT's since Turley was here but he sure has much more development to under go before he is worth another teams 2014 2nd round selection. JB was still in rotation with a weak knee Saffold way past the mid point last season. It took an knee & ankle injury to Harvey Dahl and super weak play from Shelley Smith to give JB his first NFL starting position. The use of the adjective GREAT with JB would not be factual. I would highly suggest that we keep JB till he departs for another team for free agency and to be a millionaire in less than a year from now.

If you really think that JB is that good you might want to watch game 17 last season.
I agree on the game 17

fearsomefour

Legend
I think I'll leave the guy at LT who played at a Top 5 level last season, especially in the run game (Long).

I wouldn't expect any prospect to be better than Long.. The best players start,period.
Yeah, I dont disagree with this. The question is, is Long going to be ready or near his pre injury level? If so then the rook can slide inside, if not they can man LT.
Long was good last year, not great in my estimation. He got better as the season went on....for sure better at LT than Saffold.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I am happy to hear I am wrong; but, then we should sign him to a 5 year contract. If we draft Matthews, what about Jake Long? I got stupid quick, thanks;)
I like Jake Long...I liked the signing and still do. But you can't ignore that he has had an ACL...considering that 1st round picks don't cost you what they used to...and by the time Matthews would be ready for his new deal I'm pretty sure Long's contract is up. Nothing wrong with depth.

iced

Yeah, I dont disagree with this. The question is, is Long going to be ready or near his pre injury level? If so then the rook can slide inside, if not they can man LT.
Long was good last year, not great in my estimation. He got better as the season went on....for sure better at LT than Saffold.

Long was on his way to the pro bowl in voting and was considered a Top 5 LT at his position. Believe he graded out in the top 10.

Him manning the left side for the next few years is why I don't want a LT at the top.

SierraRam

Recreational User
With Long and Saffold returning from injuries, why even consider it? Even if we hit the Jackpot and draft a couple of top lineman who can start, Barksdale would give us the type of solid depth we haven't seen in a loooong time

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If Long gets hurt again, his contract is structured in such a way that he can be cut after this coming year with very little dead money (as opposed to his full salary being already guaranteed this year.)

It's actually one of the reasons I'm not liking the idea of drafting Robinson or Matthews. If Long does come back and do well next year, we have to make the choice of let Long go anyway, let Barksdale go, or let our top 10 tackle keep being a guard for who knows how much longer.

lockdnram21

Legend
Long was on his way to the pro bowl in voting and was considered a Top 5 LT at his position. Believe he graded out in the top 10.

Him manning the left side for the next few years is why I don't want a LT at the top.

but he tore his acl and mcl and hes already been known as injury prone. His best football is probaly behind him. The rams has to have insurance. it shouldnt be moving Saffold to LT. Keep him at OG. After this Season all Longs Guranteed will be over and he can be cut. That will help with reigning Quinn and hopefully Bradford

fearsomefour

Legend

We still 2 or 3 lineman over the next year. I'm still taking Matthews or Clowney first

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Long gets hurt again, his contract is structured in such a way that he can be cut after this coming year with very little dead money (as opposed to his full salary being already guaranteed this year.) It's actually one of the reasons I'm not liking the idea of drafting Robinson or Matthews. If Long does come back and do well next year, we have to make the choice of let Long go anyway, let Barksdale go, or let our top 10 tackle keep being a guard for who knows how much longer.

"If Long gets hurt again" OLT Jake Long has had surgery & injuries the last three seasons. Yes you are correct Rams could easily move on from Jake if he is not physically able to play OLT. So Jake Long being a long time Ram is questionable. ORT Joe Barksdale is not under Ram contract after this season as he will be a UFA in 2015, thus both our starting OT's is far from being solid under contract. That information would cause me to look real strong @ drafting a couple of possible starting OT in this draft. As far as depth @ OT? Hooey & Pocic is it @ OT.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is an important year for Bradford so better to keep anything that will aid in his and the teams success.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I think my thread 'title' is a litle severe, considering we had JOe on here, and aI don't want to insult him. As I said, he is a good player; I don't know how to erase the thread title....to be more polite to Joe.
Football is business, though.
Sorry about this, if it offends.

Don't know if a mod changed your thread title yet, if not let me know and I'll do it. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Trading our only durable starting OLiner would be foolish unless you get a better one in return.
At some point the term continuity needs to come into play here.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
What happens if Jake is not ready till week 4 or isnt ready at all or gets hurt and he's out forever? Can't have enough quality depth because one thing is a constant. Injuries. We need to prepare.

iced

but he tore his acl and mcl and hes already been known as injury prone. His best football is probaly behind him. The rams has to have insurance. it shouldnt be moving Saffold to LT. Keep him at OG. After this Season all Longs Guranteed will be over and he can be cut. That will help with reigning Quinn and hopefully Bradford

you can't say that - i'm sure miami said the same thing and then poof, his big year last year...tackles have proven to play well into lower to mid 30's

laramsoriginal

Starter
I'll play with the op's scenario;

Im sure the raiders would be willing to give up a 2015 1st rounder for Barks. Oakland also has the cap space to extend his contract now. They Raidaaas also need help on the OL...

But I'm not comfortable with the rams OL as it is now, Even less without Joe