Torry Holt......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Both Holt and Marshall thoroughly embarrassed themselves during the entire broadcast with their mix of poor English language to mus-indentifiying players to the repeated "ray-Ray MacDonald" sightings!

Honestly, if you didn't know better you'd think they both were illiterate.

It couldn't end fast enough for my liking.
JFYI ,there is this gadget they invented called a volume control ,and YOU are free to turn it down if it distresses you that much,but you do run the risk of mus-identifying
a player or two
if you don't see the number.:D

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They weren't bad, they just seemed to jump at teh chance to be critical.They talked up the Saints players quite a bit. Unless it wasn't an obvious positive play, everything the Rams did seemed bad. I get they have high standards, but c'mon, 1st preseason game where the majority of the starters didn't even player, that type of performance is to be expected.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
This is me too.

It's preseason. I like having and hearing from the local guys.

We'll get plenty of the network announcers once the season starts.

I agree, it really doesn't bother me at all anyways. The only time I was bothered was when Bernie was doing it last year I'm pre season... that one got me like "did he just say that!?"

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Rams legend or not, I thought Holt was pretty brutal. The good thing about him is that you can tell he is super enthusiastic about the game and the Rams.
I imagine he can get better, hell Shannon Sharpe kept a gig for years and there isn't a better example of a worse announcer that I can remember in recent history

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
.............. @DR RAM does he really have a speech impairment?!?! I can't tell if this is a sad or ironic question since it's directed to you (doc)... :snicker:
Yeah, he actually does. He doesn't like to talk about it though.:sneaky:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As good as Holt was as a WR, he is equally bad as an announcer. My god the man is brutal behind the mic....how many times did he say Ray Ray McDonald? His delivery is suspect, he has trouble translating the speed of his thoughts into words, and he lacks timing...other than that, he did fine. It was night and day between his performance and Marshall's.
He's terrible(sorry Torry!).
He hasn't gotten any better either since he started dabbling in broadcasting several years ago. He can't finish a sentence without stepping over his own words, stuttering or making mistakes.

He knows what he's talking about and he has valuable insight, but he just can't verbally deliver. Communications classes maybe? What was his Major at NC?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I listen to announcers for their insight, not how well they can articulate the language. Go to a poetry class or something for that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I listen to announcers for their insight, not how well they can articulate the language. Go to a poetry class or something for that.
For some reason you made me think of Howard Cosell!!
images.jpg

cracengl

Rookie
Both Holt and Marshall thoroughly embarrassed themselves during the entire broadcast with their mix of poor English language to mus-indentifiying players to the repeated "ray-Ray MacDonald" sightings!

Honestly, if you didn't know better you'd think they both were illiterate.

It couldn't end fast enough for my liking.
Are announcers / analysts supposed to be really good and really polished on a preseason crew? I mean if they were that good, they'd be part of the CBS or Fox crews that work Sundays. I don't recall a lot of things I was good at the first time. It takes practice. And when is the perfect time for that you might ask? Preseason games. It's public speaking without a direct audience and you have to make shit up on the fly. We'd all suck at it for a while.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I enjoyed him. He and Faulk both gave fantastic instant breakdowns of why offensive plays failed or succeeded. I don't care that he drifted away from eloquence on occasion, the guy knows football and is pretty good at conveying that knowledge.

Plus having the RB and WR bounce analyses off each other was fascinating.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Torry Holt is a fucking sports legend in this town and for good reason. Not only was he an amazing player, teammate, and leader for this team for many years, he also is probably the most down to earth personable player from the GSOT. He has always been great to the city and fans, and is loved in return for it here. I could give a shit less about his announcing skills, he has a place in the booth anytime he wants imo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Torry Holt is a freaking sports legend in this town and for good reason. Not only was he an amazing player, teammate, and leader for this team for many years, he also is probably the most down to earth personable player from the GSOT. He has always been great to the city and fans, and is loved in return for it here. I could give a crap less about his announcing skills, he has a place in the booth anytime he wants imo.
Ok fine.
tumblr_moqh41XNAu1s4ht91o1_500.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just rewatched the first half. I enjoyed hearing from Torry (and Marshall).

He wasn't flawless, but I thought he was good!

Mick

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Torry Holt is a freaking sports legend in this town and for good reason. Not only was he an amazing player, teammate, and leader for this team for many years, he also is probably the most down to earth personable player from the GSOT. He has always been great to the city and fans, and is loved in return for it here. I could give a crap less about his announcing skills, he has a place in the booth anytime he wants imo.
Actually, what you meant to say is "I COULDN'T give a crap less..." I mean, since we're on the topic of announcers butchering the English language and all. ;)

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Actually, what you meant to say is "I COULDN'T give a crap less..." I mean, since we're on the topic of announcers butchering the English language and all. ;)

That's how we Mericans say it ya limey Brit, and if you don't like it you can geeeet out.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think most people really comprehend how difficult of a job it is. It takes a lot of time and practice. These guys are doing the preseason so they can get experience and practice. The games don't matter. It's a way of showing appreciation for guys like Faulk and Holt as well as giving them a shot at improving as commentators.

A guy I coached with (who was a former NFL player) did the preseason commentary last year for another team and he really struggled in the beginning too. Thing is that the guy was very articulate and extremely knowledgeable about football...it's just a major change going into that booth and talking for hours on end. And it's not just talking, what you say has to come out smoothly and sound intelligent. He got better as the preseason went on. I'm sure both Holt and Faulk will.

I can't imagine doing the job. When I'm having a normal conversation, I sometimes use the wrong word when I meant to say something else, stutter, or blank on a word because I'm thinking too fast and my mouth can't catch up. If I do that in normal conversations, I can't imagine what I'd do talking for hours on TV.

It's much harder than people think. Give them a break. They're trying to get better. Just like our players on the field.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He hasn't gotten any better either since he started dabbling in broadcasting several years ago. He can't finish a sentence without stepping over his own words, stuttering or making mistakes.

He knows what he's talking about and he has valuable insight, but he just can't verbally deliver. Communications classes maybe? What was his Major at NC?
Speech impediment... He's a good guy and a loyal Ram. Love you Torrs.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

N.C. State @Mojo Ram . If he'd gone to UNC this thread likely would not exist. :)