Torry Holt......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mick

Pro Bowler
As good as Holt was as a WR, he is equally bad as an announcer. My god the man is brutal behind the mic....how many times did he say Ray Ray McDonald? His delivery is suspect, he has trouble translating the speed of his thoughts into words, and he lacks timing...other than that, he did fine. It was night and day between his performance and Marshall's.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the announcing skills of Torry Holt at a level to create yet another thread about it? I don't mean to be a jerk dude, but good god, he's not even a real announcer. He does pre season games. Who cares.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the announcing skills of Torry Holt at a level to create yet another thread about it? I don't mean to be a jerk dude, but good god, he's not even a real announcer. He does pre season games. Who cares.
He has a speech impediment, always has. Still has knowledge of the game...more important to me than his...other things. The repeated McDonald thing is inexcusable though.

Pho Kadat

Rookie
I understand the concern and yes, he'll probably never get a full-time gig during the season but...he's a Ram talking about the Rams. Thus, I love it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Torry gets a pass (no pun intended) from me on just about everything he does. The man is a class act, a real pro, and a fabulous receiver for our team for a long long time. So, for me, I couldn't give a damn about poor announcing when it come to Torry.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I thought they were fine.

Pat summerall was a different announcer in preseason then he was when the games counted.

The preseason is nothing more than live practice.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Sometimes i'm so focused on watching things in the game I totally zone out the commentary. I only remember bits n pieces of it.

Mick

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha...damn, you sound all worked up man...chill perhaps? First off, didn't see the other threads, so maybe next time say there were other threads and not be the jerk you didn't mean to be. Second, if he is going to announce a game on TV, he needs to be a real announcer, otherwise just grab a guy out of the stands....repeatedly calling a player by the wrong name is just effing sad...lastly, I care....to answer your question.

Edit: just went back three pages...don't see one thread about Holt's hack job...so...what thread you talking about? If ya mean threads where it's mentioned...that isn't a thread about it....please show me a thread created about his performance?

RamsFan14

Starter
^Sometimes, you gotta learn the hard way, at least he has the guts to continue to try and get better. And no, you don't just grab anyone for the sake of grabbing someone who can talk on TV. I couldn't take a jab at a class act like Holt, who's represented the Rams as well as anyone, he can sure as hell studder his way to becoming a better announcer for all I care because 1) he was a Ram for so long. 2) he KNOWS the game, has some good insight. 3) his personality, he has great intentions. Plus it's the pre-season, I would however have a lil more of a problem if he was announcing when the game counted. Doesn't mean that can't change! You gotta learn if you wana get better, he deserve it.

He's one of my favorite players of all time (so perhaps I'm biased...), just a great all around guy who didn't complain about jack during his time here... I can't complain too much about his announcing, it's just nice to see him around!

RamsFan14

Starter
.............. @DR RAM does he really have a speech impairment?!?! I can't tell if this is a sad or ironic question since it's directed to you (doc)... :snicker:

RamWoodie

Legend
Just like the players who are rookies, or second year players...announcing and analyzing takes time. You can be decent...and be a local guy...or VERY GOOD like Merlin Olsen was...and go National.

Simba

Rookie
I don't care about Torry's performance as announcer.He gave me so many memories as a player that he can do and say what he wants. He is always right, when say Ray Ray McDonald or Clemens gone to New York too ... :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

fearsomefour

Legend
As good as Holt was as a WR, he is equally bad as an announcer. My god the man is brutal behind the mic....how many times did he say Ray Ray McDonald? His delivery is suspect, he has trouble translating the speed of his thoughts into words, and he lacks timing...other than that, he did fine. It was night and day between his performance and Marshall's.
He was not great, but, both he and Marshal do offer some insights. Holts' comment about a QB "throwing a receiver open" on Hills' TD pass was very insightful. Making a good throw is more than just hitting an already open guy in stride.
Plus it's fun to hear the ex players.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'd rather have a million Holts all stammering at once and knowing what they're talking about than say have one clear Kosar slurring his words and complaining about his lost glory days. If the worst we have to complain about is the fact that our announcer is a little clumsy then we're fairly blessed huh?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
yeah I caught the mistakes, and figured he'd get a pass from all of us because he's a legend .

I doubt he goes far as an announcer, the thing I wonder about is he really keeping up with things and trying or is he just dropping in for a K and a good seat or is he just a guy who can get speech straight ,I'm sure he knows the difference between Ray A and TJ MCd but keeps tripping over himself.

Regardless, better him than a buncha Nawlins hypesters.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Haha...damn, you sound all worked up man...chill perhaps? First off, didn't see the other threads, so maybe next time say there were other threads and not be the jerk you didn't mean to be. Second, if he is going to announce a game on TV, he needs to be a real announcer, otherwise just grab a guy out of the stands....repeatedly calling a player by the wrong name is just effing sad...lastly, I care....to answer your question.

Edit: just went back three pages...don't see one thread about Holt's hack job...so...what thread you talking about? If ya mean threads where it's mentioned...that isn't a thread about it....please show trme a thread created about his performance?

Well it seemed like it was mentioned a few times in the game day thread. I apologize then if it wasn't posted. I see your point, but as someone else said, give the guy some time. Anyone would be nervous the first game and when they haven't done it long. He's super smart, knowledgable and is a Rams legend. I guess his announcing was the last thing that I cared about.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Marshall was a 'mush-mouth' when he first started commentary / analysis too... give the guy some time.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Like him in the studio.Maybe he'll get better in the booth! Keeping his jersey either way!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sometimes i'm so focused on watching things in the game I totally zone out the commentary. I only remember bits n pieces of it.

This is me too.

It's preseason. I like having and hearing from the local guys.

We'll get plenty of the network announcers once the season starts.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Torry and Marshall weren't my problem. My was problem was with Andy. He has always messed up player's names. #Ibetyourpardon