Torry Holt expresses his disappointment with Brian Quick and Jared Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Big game mentioned something that may be the key to our slow receiver development: the lack of a veteran #1. Think about it, as a rookie, Holt had Bruce, TO had Rice, Moss had Cris Carter, Julio had Roddy White, Wayne had Marvin Harrison and both helped Pierre Garcon, now Hopkins is learning from Andre Johnson. The veteran can actively show the guys how to perfect their route running, and would be the one expected to deliver in clutch situations. Our young receivers are learning from Pettis, a 3rd year receiver!

And so if we add a rec. next year maybe Hakeem Nicks?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The way I look at it is that we dodged a bullet when Jax traded up and snatched Blackmon. Brockers ended up being a better pick than Blackmon for sure. And all reports pointed to us taking Blackmon at #6. Then we don't take Quick, but instead could very likely have taken a DT in his spot. First one picked in the 2nd round was Derek Wolfe, who is ok, but nowhere near as good as Brockers. So for example, we have Brockers and Quick, instead of Blackmon and Wolfe.

Sure, it would probably have been a home run if we had taken Jeffery instead of Quick, but considering how the first round could have gone I'm ok with how it it played out.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The way I look at it is that we dodged a bullet when Jax traded up and snatched Blackmon. Brockers ended up being a better pick than Blackmon for sure. And all reports pointed to us taking Blackmon at #6. Then we don't take Quick, but instead could very likely have taken a DT in his spot. First one picked in the 2nd round was Derek Wolfe, who is ok, but nowhere near as good as Brockers. So for example, we have Brockers and Quick, instead of Blackmon and Wolfe.

Sure, it would probably have been a home run if we had taken Jeffery instead of Quick, but considering how the first round could have gone I'm ok with how it it played out.

And once again Jeffrey is playing opposite a guy who projects 1400 plus yards and 110 catches that teams are trying like hell to stop, telling him how to play big etc.,and OBTW for a team with Matt Forte at RB and in the end came into a MUCH better environment to shine.

Please don't misconstrue my earlier post ,it wasn't meant to come off as a slam on Snead, it was supposed to convey that Quicks draft position is not something he needs to be hammered for , he didn't draft himself AND that Pead is in the same boat,neither players head has caught up with their potential yet, but the potential is not GONE and still has a chance to blossom.

On the Pead front ,I think dropping behind Cunningham on the depth chart was a Big Ben decibel level wake up call , wouldn't you be delighted to be wrong about him ?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And once again Jeffrey is playing opposite a guy who projects 1400 plus yards and 110 catches that teams are trying like hell to stop, telling him how to play big etc.,and OBTW for a team with Matt Forte at RB and in the end came into a MUCH better environment to shine.

Please don't misconstrue my earlier post ,it wasn't meant to come off as a slam on Snead, it was supposed to convey that Quicks draft position is not something he needs to be hammered for , he didn't draft himself AND that Pead is in the same boat,neither players head has caught up with their potential yet, but the potential is not GONE and still has a chance to blossom.

On the Pead front ,I think dropping behind Cunningham on the depth chart was a Big Ben decibel level wake up call , wouldn't you be delighted to be wrong about him ?

Yeah, I get all that. Maybe Quick turns out to be really good. We will find out soon enough. Still, it wouldn't stop me from drafting Watkins if he was on the board when we pick.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Quick is going to be fine. We picked him early but there arent alot of recievers in his class doing much better.

How's that AJ Jenkins working out, picked ahead Quick? Picked by our rival and uncerimoneously traded to the Chiefs, wheres he has dissapeared on the depth charts.

Or Kendall Wright? Meh...not doing a whole lot better but he's been respectable.

Or Justin Blackmon? suspended and going backwards from there.

Or Michael Floyd? He's actually doing okay out in Zona.....but nothin earth shattering.

How bout those picked behind Brian Quick? Guys like Stephen Hilll, Davier Posey, Ryan Broyles, TJ Graham, Rueben Randle?

Come on......we all want our team to succeed, but you guys have lofty expectations.....Right now the two best recievers from that draft are TY Hilton ( round 3 ) and Alshon Jeffery ( round 2 )

I wanted Jeffery! Boom... I know more than Snead. B-)

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the plus side, we did get Greg the Leg in the 6th!!!!! His ass was out there for anyone to grab. The fact we have one of the best secret weapons and a chance at a FG 65 yards out to win a game, we have to be the envy of the at least 30 teams out there (with the exception of the Raiders). He's not perfect, but, I'll take him anyday. Onto the matter at hand, Quick. Maybe Quick isn't being used correctly and that is contributing to his lackluster results. I think if he were on the Cheating Pats, his numbers would be staggering because of the passing scheme they use. If he leaves us and becomes something special, then we'll know it was the OC. Leave and fall off the face of the NFL, then he just couldn't get to the next level and it was him. We'll have the answer in a few years. Resign him? I don't know.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This is rediculous. As soon as 1 of these guys have a big game then all will be forgotten. Notice nobody is talking about Tavon being a bust this week? Some people...

Funny thing is this website is actually the best about tempering expectations and being patient. I know a couple others that will infuriate you in 2 minuites. I'm not going there...

duckhunter

Starter
Here's some perspective's that I use:

With rookies, I expect some mistakes. I only expect starters out of the first and second round immediately. Gravy for a third rounder to start and do well. I do expect top effort from all. Don't like guys to dog it or give up. If I liked someone else I'll say it and give reasons. If the rookies are screwing up comment on the obvious. Don't necessarily put em down. Say they need to work on this or that or whatever. If I really didn't like the pick, I still root for him. He's on my team.

With 2nd year guys, I expect a little more. Set the bar higher and be open and objective as possible.

Third year guys, I expect contributions and starting to reach their potential. Start using journeyman, good sub, or bust label. Also use the starter and quality player labels. By then, we know what we got.

Concerning the draft, we arm wrestle back and forth so much over prospects, you kind of get married to your guys whether with our team or playing elsewhere. So when people are right about a player, my hat is off to them because they read the situation right. It's a crap shoot anyway as Vermeil used to say, they're just as much suspects as prospects. It's nice when you hit because it verifies that you judged the class and player correctly. It sure is easy to miss on players and I've had my share. The back end of last year's class not great and is looking weaker as time goes on. But the previous year's back end looks good for me. If you went through the mistakes of the cardinal drafts in the 70s you want to know the truth soonest. I want to know early if my GM is making mistakes or the coaches aren't coaching em up or whatever. We usually hear non-answer generalities too much--he's doing good or whatever--and the next thing he is cut or traded for some old jockstraps.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was also disappointed my coffee was not strong enough this morning....guess I expected too much from myself but maybe I will have one big improve game day pot next week and I will just forget about this disappointing pot.

…..

Legend
Yeah, I get all that. Maybe Quick turns out to be really good. We will find out soon enough. Still, it wouldn't stop me from drafting Watkins if he was on the board when we pick.

I have this overwhelming FEAR that we turn into the Matt Millen led Lions.....

we've had our share of WR draft picks. Time to focus elsewhere and trust (hope) that our previous decisions play out.

If they don't....there's always Donnie Avery and Brandon Gibson, whose contracts should be up in two years... hehe

duckhunter

Starter
I wasn't gonna give him credit......but yeah....he kinda screamed so loud who could forget? lol
You got that right. He really did his homework that year. Jrry deserves the credit on those two guys because the previous year's draft put him in conflict with the FO and most Ram's fans during draft time and he was frothing at the mouth. It was almost as if he was at a loss for words, if you can imagine that.:lol::lol: I was too but he adjusted better than I.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This is rediculous. As soon as 1 of these guys have a big game then all will be forgotten. Notice nobody is talking about Tavon being a bust this week? Some people...

Funny thing is this website is actually the best about tempering expectations and being patient. I know a couple others that will infuriate you in 2 minuites. I'm not going there...
Well, then have a big game already. What are they waiting for?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well, then have a big game already. What are they waiting for?

True. Cook came out red hot, then the running game never took off, then we started Stacy, then we lost Bradford, and now we're just starting to get back to how we were suppose to play from the beginning. I just hope it's not too late. I mean it's not, but the climb is steep.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Jrry, you beat the table on both Jefferies and Hilton. Kudos to you.

I'm far from perfect but I am happy to see those two succeed. You have gotten it right quite a few times, yourself, Duck. :D

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Big game mentioned something that may be the key to our slow receiver development: the lack of a veteran #1. Think about it, as a rookie, Holt had Bruce, TO had Rice, Moss had Cris Carter, Julio had Roddy White, Wayne had Marvin Harrison and both helped Pierre Garcon, now Hopkins is learning from Andre Johnson. The veteran can actively show the guys how to perfect their route running, and would be the one expected to deliver in clutch situations. Our young receivers are learning from Pettis, a 3rd year receiver!
Great job pointing that out. I missed it during the interview.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I was practically screaming for us to get Danny Trevathan in the fifth round. We picked Rokevious Watkins instead. Then again, I was high on the Klopfenstein pick in 2006, so it shows what I know about scouting (i.e., nil).