Torry Holt expresses his disappointment with Brian Quick and Jared Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can not disagree with Holt, they both are disappointments up to this point.

Quick was for all purposes was a first round pick .....first selection on the second day of the draft in the second round...one spot out of the first round! Thats a highly valued draft pick used on Quick.....here the Rams are in a worse way needing a #1 type wide out and we got nothing close ????? We are into the last third of Quick's second season & he is still behind the likes of Pettis & Givens who were 3rd & 4th rd picks....@ this point in time neither of them appear to be a solid selection in those rounds either with much ongoing current production. Givens seems to have taken several steps backwards this season. :disappoint:

I currently find myself wishing to see Tavon Austin & Stedman Bailey as the starting WR's myself.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I can not disagree with Holt, they both are disappointments up to this point.

Quick was for all purposes was a first round pick .....first selection on the second day of the draft in the second round...one spot out of the first round! Thats a highly valued draft pick used on Quick.....here the Rams are in a worse way needing a #1 type wide out and we got nothing close ????? We are into the last third of Quick's second season & he is still behind the likes of Pettis & Givens who were 3rd & 4th rd picks....@ this point in time neither of them appear to be a solid selection in those rounds either with much ongoing current production. Givens seems to have taken several steps backwards this season. :disappoint:

I currently find myself wishing to see Tavon Austin & Stedman Bailey as the starting WR's myself.

So I guess it's Quicks fault he was picked too high? FWIW once they are on the team their draft position only matters to those who wish to criticize, extol, of fit them into the cap. Snead is the one who gets evaluated because of that criteria. Pead as well , they are developing more slowly than Snead led us to believe they would.

SCREECH ,that's the sound of the axe I grind about Cook, if he'd make more effort to block the coverage would forget him more readily,when he is on the field no one believes he's really there to block so his best use becomes decoy, which I don't think he was signed to be.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think the lack of production from Givens and Cook is due to game planning.

Have we seen Cook run a go route between the safeties since the first week. They haven't used Cook at all in the way they used him against the cardinals. He was a notoriously bad blocker before he signed here. Thats why having Kendricks to go with him was perfect.

Givens is being forced into a roll he's just not ready for yet. Givens is a great deep threat and is best when he's moved around to create mismatches. This year he's primarily on one side and they're using him on intermediate stuff, which he may need another offseason to work on.

Givens has been playing somewhat soft though...and that's on him.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So I guess it's Quicks fault he was picked too high? FWIW once they are on the team their draft position only matters to those who wish to criticize, extol, of fit them into the cap. Snead is the one who gets evaluated because of that criteria. Pead as well , they are developing more slowly than Snead led us to believe they would.

SCREECH ,that's the sound of the axe I grind about Cook, if he'd make more effort to block the coverage would forget him more readily,when he is on the field no one believes he's really there to block so his best use becomes decoy, which I don't think he was signed to be.

Well said.

…..

Legend
Quick is going to be fine. We picked him early but there arent alot of recievers in his class doing much better.

How's that AJ Jenkins working out, picked ahead Quick? Picked by our rival and uncerimoneously traded to the Chiefs, wheres he has dissapeared on the depth charts.

Or Kendall Wright? Meh...not doing a whole lot better but he's been respectable.

Or Justin Blackmon? suspended and going backwards from there.

Or Michael Floyd? He's actually doing okay out in Zona.....but nothin earth shattering.

How bout those picked behind Brian Quick? Guys like Stephen Hilll, Davier Posey, Ryan Broyles, TJ Graham, Rueben Randle?

Come on......we all want our team to succeed, but you guys have lofty expectations.....Right now the two best recievers from that draft are TY Hilton ( round 3 ) and Alshon Jeffery ( round 2 )

quebecramfan

Rookie
Quick is going to be fine. We picked him early but there arent alot of recievers in his class doing much better.

How's that AJ Jenkins working out, picked ahead Quick? Picked by our rival and uncerimoneously traded to the Chiefs, wheres he has dissapeared on the depth charts.

Or Kendall Wright? Meh...not doing a whole lot better but he's been respectable.

Or Michael Floyd? He's actually doing okay out in Zona.....but nothin earth shattering.

How bout those picked behind Brian Quick? Guys like Stephen Hilll, Davier Posey, Ryan Broyles, TJ Graham, Rueben Randle?

Come on......we all want our team to succeed, but you guys have lofty expectations.....Right now the two best recievers from that draft are TY Hilton ( round 3 ) and Alshon Jeffery ( round 2 )

+1

People have no more patience these days... Quick will come around

moklerman

Warner-phile
Wasn't Alshon Jeffrey in that same class? Maybe I'm a year off. Would love the Rams to have him. Not sure how the stats look but that guy looks pretty darned good lately.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wasn't Alshon Jeffrey in that same class? Maybe I'm a year off. Would love the Rams to have him. Not sure how the stats look but that guy looks pretty darned good lately.
Might make it a little easier with 15 on the other side. There is no way Jeffery would have the same production the Rams.

I love the way guys jump on a player for where he was drafted. As if they are going to tell teams no I don't deserve to be selected int that slot. Well he was nearly a number one pick!! :roflmao:

He has progressed and made some nice catches, yes he still has had problems but this guy came from a sand lot program and has a lot to learn. His QB is now out and he's playing with a back up. Relax and let's see where he is in 2015

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
How ironic, St. Louis → Chicago (D). St. Louis traded this selection to Chicago for their second (50th) and fifth round (150th) selections this year.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm with everyone who continues to hope that Quick becomes a T.O.-type talent but I also agree that he's been a pretty poor value for where he was drafted. If he explodes at some point and starts dominating games I guess the pick will be worth it but for a team in such dire need of help all over the place, developing this guy for 2+ years doesn't seem like a luxury they should have taken. That 2nd round is looking pretty poor overall. Pead and Quick have been almost wasted picks thus far.

I believe an appropriate amount of slack should be given considering how young the regime was but there's no way around the fact that Quick was a HIGH risk guy. So far, that risk hasn't paid off.

Pead's a bust too and for the life of me, I'd love to know why he's been buried beneath the doghouse. I mean, Cunningham had a COSTLY fumble a couple of weeks ago but he was back last week getting more chances so it can't just be ball security with Pead. From everything I've read, he was a pretty darned good talent in college. The guy should be getting some kind of chance but he rarely even dresses for games. Very odd IMO.

duckhunter

Starter
Heck, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape, the word used is disappointment.

I think everyone had a little higher expectations this year for Quick than 11 receptions. This spring, I remember seeing some Quick advocates saying to expect 50 and 60 receptions when some questioned what was going on with Quick. If we go back to the explanation from snead on this pick: Snead built Quick up real big because of his size and speed using words such as wow and are we believing what we see in that last workout before the draft. Set very high aspirations with his words. Whether it is Quick, the OC, Sam don't believe in him or we drafted him too high or whatever, it's only natural for people to be disappointed at this point. After the way he looked last year, I thought and posted it might take to year 3 before he might come close to contributing in a much bigger way. I said after the season if he just doubled his production in 2013 that would probably be sensible expectations. Now it looks like that may be too high.

Now, the guy I liked was Reuben Randle who has 26 receptions for 423 yards as a No3 receiver behind Cruz and Nicks who are two of the better receivers in the NFL on most everyone's books. What separates him, Randle is tied for 9th for receptions over 20 yards at 11 and has 5 TDs. He was drafted 25 or so picks behind Quick.

Let's just hope Quick finishes strong and has a big year in 2014. At least IMO, Snead made up for Quick somewhat with the Givens pick, although he is not having all that great of a year also.

After Fish builds a much deeper roster, we won't have as high of expectations on these young guys and let them develop a little before we throw them into the skillet so early.

V3

Hall of Fame

I didn't know it was a lofty expectation to see the first pick in the second round PLAY in his second year. He's hardly ever out there and when he is, he rarely does anything to impress. Quit making excuses for the guy. It's beyond time he shows something.

…..

Legend
I dont think its entirely on Brian Quick.

One could make a reasonable argument that the Rams have completely misused ALL thier WR's since Fisher and Schott got here.

In fact...you could also say
1. Where's Givens been? Numbers way off from last year
2. Where has Tavon been? Finally had a breakout game in week 10
3. What happened to Brian Cook? In the blocking dog house.

So I think...across the board, Brian Quick is simply a piece of a puzzle thats never quite been put together.

Disclaimer- YES- 11 receptions qualifies as a dissapointment.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It's always an exercise in futility to look at who could have been drafted but Marvin Jones was still there in the 5th in 2012.

My main complaint is that the Rams could have realistically had solid contributors from all three of their 2nd round pics in 2012 instead of...well, nothing from two of them. Really didn't think it was a good time to go high risk.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Quick was a reach and Cook has freakish physical skills. Neither had a guarantee on the label and that's just part of it. Nothing new here...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

:woot::wink:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Big game mentioned something that may be the key to our slow receiver development: the lack of a veteran #1. Think about it, as a rookie, Holt had Bruce, TO had Rice, Moss had Cris Carter, Julio had Roddy White, Wayne had Marvin Harrison and both helped Pierre Garcon, now Hopkins is learning from Andre Johnson. The veteran can actively show the guys how to perfect their route running, and would be the one expected to deliver in clutch situations. Our young receivers are learning from Pettis, a 3rd year receiver!