Top Ten Rams Draft Pairings (With Poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which Draft Pairing is the greatest in Rams history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fearsomefour

Legend
I do because with Everett the Rams could have had one of the top 3 or 4 QB/RB tandems and may have actually made some noise in the playoffs and had a great run for several years rather than falling apart.

I agree that he should have been paid way more money and that it was a mistake to not give him more, but he sat out. He quit on his team.

And that could have been an excellent team and behind that OL the Rams would have been on top of the division often.
Ehhh.
It was a two way street.
Management was generally not great.
Also, it is sort trying to rewrite history.
He is a HOFer. An all time great Ram.
All the rest of the nonsense is just that. Nonsense.
Like saying Tyson isent an all time great heavy weight because of his issues.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Gotta go with Gabe/Olsen. It's always been a shame Roman Gabriel gets skipped over for the HOF. There are many in the hall that don't compare to his value as a leader and player. He played QB like a linebacker.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hard to argue against a franchise QB and a HOF DT in the same draft ... I went with Merlin and Roman.

Dickerson and Ellard was a pretty good combo too, although their respective peak performances with the Rams came at different times ... Ellard was held back by a predominantly running offense while Dickerson was running wild, and came into his own after Dickerson was gone Robinson had retooled the offense with Jim Everett and Ernie Zampese as OC.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Dickerson shouldn't be on the list simply because of how he acted at the end.

I went from being a big fan of his to really disliking him.

I was living in Indianapolis when he got traded and there were occasional stories (credible) about how selfish he was. His assholeishness even got him suspended for several games by the Colts front office.

At one point ED was the 2nd lowest paid RB in the league! All he did his first 2 seasons was set 2 records that still stand today; and the way the NFL is going, they could stand a lot longer. Management did us (fans) no favor by being cheap with him. As I recall, they PO'd Kevin Greene too--the last great LA Ram.

...but if we're going THAT route, I have to go with #64, the man whose name I do not speak. He was a favorite of mine growing up, but when he jumped ship to the rival 9ers and helped them win their first SB, he was dead to to me. You just didn't go to a hated rival on your own choice and honor back then.

"It was you, #64, you broke my heart."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1994 Isaac Bruce and Toby Wright
200w.webp

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ehhh.
It was a two way street.
Management was generally not great.
Also, it is sort trying to rewrite history.
He is a HOFer. An all time great Ram.
All the rest of the nonsense is just that. Nonsense.
Like saying Tyson isent an all time great heavy weight because of his issues.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying other than the rewriting history thing because I'm not doing that. He's one of the top 3 to ever play that position in the entire history of the sport and I don't think any less of his accomplishments on the field, I'm just saying I personally can't vote for him.

He pulled the same crap in Indy that he did in LA by the way. Complained to the media about his contract as other players started making more as a few seasons went by. He always wanted more and always complained and whined to the media.

At one point ED was the 2nd lowest paid RB in the league! All he did his first 2 seasons was set 2 records that still stand today; and the way the NFL is going, they could stand a lot longer.

Charles White, his backup, was making more. And we know that because Dickerson took the negotiations/fight to the press. I'm not saying I side with Georgia on this because she was completely fucking stupid to break up the tandem of Dickerson and Everett. It wasn't even a huge sum of money for her at the time. She could have easily afforded it.

She was a shit owner.

Ram65

Legend
Butch And Jack!

Butch Isiah Robertson a Ram for 8 years with 6 All Pro honors set the tone for a new breed of linebackers. Butch could do it all. Blitz, play the run and cover with IIRC his 4.5 40 speed. Verified here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/644128-crazy-canton-cuts-isiah-robertson

Do I have list Hall of Famer Jack Youngbloods accomplishments?
These two made an unbelievable dynamic duo for the Rams defenses in the 70's with Youngblood. Had Robertson not been traded they both would have been Ram greats into the 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Youngblood
Career history
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Games played:
Games started: 188
Quarterback sacks: 151.5
Fumbles recovered: 10

Butch Robertson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isiah_Robertson
Butch Robertson
NFL career[edit]
He was a first-round draft choice of the Los Angeles Rams in 1971, the 10th player chosen overall.

In 1971, Isiah's rookie year, he established himself as one of the NFL's new stars, replacing the departed Jack Pardee as the Rams' starting strongside linebacker. He was voted Defensive Rookie of the Year, selected Second-team All-NFL and also chosen to the Pro Bowl, played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams posted an 8-5-1 record, but missed the playoffs by half a game. The game which cost the Rams the playoffs might very well have been Isiah's first, when the Rams lost 24-20 to the New Orleans Saints when fellow rookie Archie Manning scored a touchdown on the game's final play.

In 1973 Robertson was voted First-team All-Pro. It was one of the best seasons of his brilliant career. He intercepted 3 passes that season and returned one interception 49 yards for a touchdown against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football. It was the first touchdown of his career. Isiah Robertson was considered by many as the best linebacker in the NFL. The Rams finished with a great 12-2 record and won the Western division.

In 1974, Isiah had an excellent season making All-Pro once again and named to his third Pro Bowl. The Rams posted a 10-4 record and won the Western division title again. In the playoffs, the Rams played the Washington Redskins. In the 4th quarter, with the Rams leading the Redskins only 13-10, Isiah intercepted quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's pass and ran 59 yards for a touchdown that sealed a 19-10 victory for the Rams.

In 1975 was voted All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl for the fourth time. He intercepted 4 passes for 118 yards and 1 touchdown. On Monday Night Football, against the Philadelphia Eagles, Isiah intercepted a pass and ran 76 yards for a touchdown showcasing his great speed. The Rams beat the Eagles 42-3. In 1975 the Rams finished with a 12-2 record and won their division. In the playoffs, the Rams defeated the explosive St. Louis Cardinals 35-23. The Los Angeles Rams would face the Dallas Cowboys in the 1975 NFC Championship game.

Isiah Robertson was a First-team All-Pro in 1976 and a Second-team choice in 1977 while making the Pro Bowl both seasons.

In 1978, his last year with the Rams, he was credited with 25 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries. Isiah returned a fumble 16 yards for a touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in a Rams 34- 17 victory. He only started 6 of the 13 games he played in, losing his starting job to Bob Brudzinski. Robertson may be best known for a play in the 1978 season, when, while attempting to tackle then-rookie Houston Oilers running back (and NFL Hall Of Famer) Earl Campbell, Robertson was head-butted in the sternum and run over by Campbell on his way down the field against the Rams. The play is often shown as a part of NFL Films highlights; especially those concerning Campbell. What is not commonly known is that Campbell was knocked out of that game by a hard hit to his thigh.

After the season, the Rams traded Isiah to the Buffalo Bills. After he was traded Robertson signed a 4-year $1 million contract making him among the highest paid NFL linebackers, averaging $250,000 a season. In 1979, in his first year as a member of the Bills, Isiah brought his 8 years experience and football savvy to the young Bills linebacking corps, which included standout rookie Jim Haslett. He had another outstanding year. Isiah registered 96 tackles, a quarterback sack, recovered 2 fumbles, and had 2 interceptions. In a game against the Cincinnati Bengals, he intercepted a pass and ran 23 yards for a touchdown. It was the last touchdown of his career.

In 1980, Isiah had 85 tackles. The Bills posted an 11-5 record and won the Eastern division. They lost 20-14 in the playoffs to the San Diego Chargers.

In 1981, Robertson had 50 tackles and 31 assists for a total of 81 tackles. The Buffalo Bills posted a 10-6 record and were a wild card team in the playoffs. They defeated the New York Jets 31-27 in the playoffs and then lost to the Cincinnati Bengals in another playoff game.

Isiah would play one more year, 1982, in which he was a backup.

The Professional Football Researchers Association named Robertson to the PRFA Hall of Very Good Class of 2016 [1]

Ramzheart

Rookie
Dickerson shouldn't be on the list simply because of how he acted at the end.

I went from being a big fan of his to really disliking him.

I was living in Indianapolis when he got traded and there were occasional stories (credible) about how selfish he was. His assholeishness even got him suspended for several games by the Colts front office.
I agree to some degree if we're talking about players personna's etc.
Although I don't dislike Dickerson now, back when he was traded I was furious and disgusted at his behavior!
I then rationalized he hurt his own career and legend more then anything else and he has to wonder, how much better could I have elevated my legacy?!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butch And Jack!

Butch Isiah Robertson a Ram for 8 years with 6 All Pro honors set the tone for a new breed of linebackers. Butch could do it all. Blitz, play the run and cover with IIRC his 4.5 40 speed. Verified here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/644128-crazy-canton-cuts-isiah-robertson

Do I have list Hall of Famer Jack Youngbloods accomplishments?
These two made an unbelievable dynamic duo for the Rams defenses in the 70's with Youngblood. Had Robertson not been traded they both would have been Ram greats into the 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Youngblood
Career history
Career NFL statistics
Games played:
Games started: 188
Quarterback sacks: 151.5
Fumbles recovered: 10

Butch Robertson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isiah_Robertson
Butch Robertson
NFL career[edit]
He was a first-round draft choice of the Los Angeles Rams in 1971, the 10th player chosen overall.

In 1971, Isiah's rookie year, he established himself as one of the NFL's new stars, replacing the departed Jack Pardee as the Rams' starting strongside linebacker. He was voted Defensive Rookie of the Year, selected Second-team All-NFL and also chosen to the Pro Bowl, played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams posted an 8-5-1 record, but missed the playoffs by half a game. The game which cost the Rams the playoffs might very well have been Isiah's first, when the Rams lost 24-20 to the New Orleans Saints when fellow rookie Archie Manning scored a touchdown on the game's final play.

In 1973 Robertson was voted First-team All-Pro. It was one of the best seasons of his brilliant career. He intercepted 3 passes that season and returned one interception 49 yards for a touchdown against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football. It was the first touchdown of his career. Isiah Robertson was considered by many as the best linebacker in the NFL. The Rams finished with a great 12-2 record and won the Western division.

In 1974, Isiah had an excellent season making All-Pro once again and named to his third Pro Bowl. The Rams posted a 10-4 record and won the Western division title again. In the playoffs, the Rams played the Washington Redskins. In the 4th quarter, with the Rams leading the Redskins only 13-10, Isiah intercepted quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's pass and ran 59 yards for a touchdown that sealed a 19-10 victory for the Rams.

In 1975 was voted All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl for the fourth time. He intercepted 4 passes for 118 yards and 1 touchdown. On Monday Night Football, against the Philadelphia Eagles, Isiah intercepted a pass and ran 76 yards for a touchdown showcasing his great speed. The Rams beat the Eagles 42-3. In 1975 the Rams finished with a 12-2 record and won their division. In the playoffs, the Rams defeated the explosive St. Louis Cardinals 35-23. The Los Angeles Rams would face the Dallas Cowboys in the 1975 NFC Championship game.

Isiah Robertson was a First-team All-Pro in 1976 and a Second-team choice in 1977 while making the Pro Bowl both seasons.

In 1978, his last year with the Rams, he was credited with 25 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries. Isiah returned a fumble 16 yards for a touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in a Rams 34- 17 victory. He only started 6 of the 13 games he played in, losing his starting job to Bob Brudzinski. Robertson may be best known for a play in the 1978 season, when, while attempting to tackle then-rookie Houston Oilers running back (and NFL Hall Of Famer) Earl Campbell, Robertson was head-butted in the sternum and run over by Campbell on his way down the field against the Rams. The play is often shown as a part of NFL Films highlights; especially those concerning Campbell. What is not commonly known is that Campbell was knocked out of that game by a hard hit to his thigh.

After the season, the Rams traded Isiah to the Buffalo Bills. After he was traded Robertson signed a 4-year $1 million contract making him among the highest paid NFL linebackers, averaging $250,000 a season. In 1979, in his first year as a member of the Bills, Isiah brought his 8 years experience and football savvy to the young Bills linebacking corps, which included standout rookie Jim Haslett. He had another outstanding year. Isiah registered 96 tackles, a quarterback sack, recovered 2 fumbles, and had 2 interceptions. In a game against the Cincinnati Bengals, he intercepted a pass and ran 23 yards for a touchdown. It was the last touchdown of his career.

In 1980, Isiah had 85 tackles. The Bills posted an 11-5 record and won the Eastern division. They lost 20-14 in the playoffs to the San Diego Chargers.

In 1981, Robertson had 50 tackles and 31 assists for a total of 81 tackles. The Buffalo Bills posted a 10-6 record and were a wild card team in the playoffs. They defeated the New York Jets 31-27 in the playoffs and then lost to the Cincinnati Bengals in another playoff game.

Isiah would play one more year, 1982, in which he was a backup.

The Professional Football Researchers Association named Robertson to the PRFA Hall of Very Good Class of 2016 [1]
Great info 65!

I’m surprised this duo didn’t get more love on the poll. I nearly voted for them myself, but I just felt Dick/Ellard was a bit better. Did you see any I missed?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I then rationalized he hurt his own career and legend more then anything else and he has to wonder, how much better could I have elevated my legacy?!

Yup.

Think about how many yards he would have gotten if he had stayed on the Rams. Ronnie Lott told him at a Pro Bowl that he thought he would be the all time rushing leader when he retired.

The Colts had an average team but the OL did a good job run blocking so he was in a decent spot but couldn't stop picking fights about his contract like he did with the Rams. He was complaining about his new contract about a year after signing it because he led the league in rushing and total yards.

Then he got shipped off to the Raiders and it was downhill from there.

He should have gotten paid by the Rams and he should have avoided taking the whole thing to the media.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hard to deny Merlin Olsen... 15 years at a Pro Bowl or better level?

Yeah... hard to deny.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All of these players where Truly Great in there Day, and would be if they Played Today!! I hate having to choose between them!(y)(y)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hard to deny Merlin Olsen... 15 years at a Pro Bowl or better level?

Yeah... hard to deny.

Gabe comes in with the assist though.......a few Pro Bowls and a pretty good career for that era.

I just went and looked and he was a starter for 10 years, the other years he was a backup. In those 10 years he made 4 pro bowls and was All Pro once.

This combo is the best. I decree this combo as winner.

Ram65

Legend
Great info 65!

I’m surprised this duo didn’t get more love on the poll. I nearly voted for them myself, but I just felt Dick/Ellard was a bit better. Did you see any I missed?

Great job. Looked at Deacon Jones and Joe Scibelli first. Great combo with Charlie Cowan as a third. Robertson and Youngblood picked 1-2 in 1971 with Dave Elmendorf as the 3rd pick. That's deserves a wow. Too bad both Dickerson and Ellard didn't finish as Rams. Both were great Rams.

Great job. Could be the best Rams poll I ever seen. All good picks. Looking at the Rams picks in the 2000's is a little depressing considering all the misses.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2510&type=team

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
This combo is the best. I decree this combo as winner

Oh crap! Mods, help! Les is attempting a hostile take over of my post!

Great job. Looked at Deacon Jones and Joe Scibelli first. Great combo with Charlie Cowan as a third. Robertson and Youngblood picked 1-2 in 1971 with Dave Elmendorf as the 3rd pick. That's deserves a wow. Too bad both Dickerson and Ellard didn't finish as Rams. Both were great Rams.

Great job. Could be the best Rams poll I ever seen. All good picks. Looking at the Rams picks in the 2000's is a little depressing considering all the misses.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2510&type=team

Thanks. I am kind of an information junkie. Every once in a while I'll go on a frenzy if I allow myself some guilt free time. (Great for the marriage, by the way. :whistle: )

In addition to Dick Bass and Eddie Meador in '59, there was Grant Wistrom, Az Hakim and Leonard Little in '98 that might have made the cut if Wistrom stayed longer, or if I went 3 deep. Also '83 (A TRULY great year for me, as I graduated high school, AND the Rams hired a head coach that was an alumni from my high school- John Robinson!)
Aside from Dickerson and Ellard, that deep draft included Vince Newsome, and Mike Wilcher, as well as Doug Reed.

1975 deserves mention, as well. It nearly made my list. Dennis Harrah, Doug France, Rod Perry and Monte Jackson were drafted that year. Jackson had that great year in '76 with 10 interceptions, including 3 taken to the house, before he was dealt to the Raiders the next year.

I also looked at 1991 with Todd Lyght and Roman Phifer. But the '90's were just so dreadful. I was so happy Lyght hung on to win a Super Bowl. Phifer left a year earlier, but then won a Super Bowl with the Cheatriots against us a couple years later.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
1994 Isaac Bruce and Toby Wright

1998 Grant Wistrom & Leonard Little

True Memphis. I noted the other ‘98 picks that made that fairly deep, but the ‘94 draft also yielded a pretty productive safety in Keith Lyle that started for the Rams for several years, paying off with being a part of the miracle ‘99 season.