Top Ten Rams Draft Pairings (With Poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which Draft Pairing is the greatest in Rams history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Well, gentlemen. (And the not-so-gentle, and not so manly) Draft time approaches. As draft day 2018 beckons, ROD fans are weighing in as to how we should spend all those 4th and 6th rounders. (n)

Should McSnead go for an edge rusher? A middle backer? Offensive lineman? Best available athlete surprise? (TE, RB or, gasp...a CB?)

It is said, that if a team can pick up two good players in a draft, that draft can be considered a success. Sounds like a low bar to set. When each NFL team has, on average, five to ten picks a year, and teams of scouts looking at the hundreds of college candidates each year, it would seem that they could hit on many of those picks.

But the fact is, many drafted players never make the team. First rounders often bust. Seventh rounders and undrafted players often make teams and have successful and productive careers. Just a pair of good players. That is success. Two guys, that have a long, successful career.

So examining the Rams historical drafts, under this standard, which drafts are the top ten drafts of all time? Which Ram drafts have had the best two-man pairings, all time? My question is not which drafts have been the greatest, or deepest of all time. Then, perhaps, we would be talking about the 1975 draft, 1977, 1980 or 2012.

The question I undertake in this post is this: Which two-man groupings, drafted in the same year, are the greatest in Ram history? Below, working up to number one, I humbly submit my list:

(Edit: there are other very good picks in these years, I chose what I thought to be the best pairings. Deacon Jones, and a ham sandwich is a good pairing in itself. I found that there was another very productive player that year that qualified them for this list.)

10. 1977. Nolan Cromwell and Vince Ferragamo

a139.jpg

a140.jpg

9. 1972 Lawrence McCutcheon and Larry Brooks

a137.jpg

a138.jpg

8. 1985 Jerry Gray and Kevin Greene

a135.png

a136.jpg

7. 1976 Jackie Slater and Carl Ekern

a133.png

a134.jpg

6. 2014 Aaron Donald and LaMarcus Joyner

a131.jpg

a132.jpg

5. 1961 Joe Scibelli and Deacon Jones

a130.jpg

a123.jpg

4. 1970 Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds and Rich Saul

a122.jpg

a121.jpg

3. 1971 Isiah Robertson and Jack Youngblood

a128.jpg

a129.jpg

2. 1962 Roman Gabriel and Merlin Olsen

a127.jpg

a124.jpg

1. 1983 Eric Dickerson and Henry Ellard

a125.jpg

a126.jpg

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Let’s hope Kupp and (Johnson or Ebukam or Everett or Reynolds) make the top ten.

Goff and.... (ahem,Hemingway?)

Now if two guys from 2018 are in the conversation, that would be a miracle (we do have those 6th rounders, though)

BTW— Dickerson and Ellard wins it for me.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let’s hope Kupp and (Johnson or Ebukam or Everett or Reynolds) make the top ten.

Now if two guys from 2018 are in the conversation, that would be a miracle (we do have those 6th rounders, though)

Good call. As you can see I agree. Combined, Dickerson and Ellard are the most impressive pair. There were a few runners up that almost made the top ten, including 1959 Dick Bass and Eddie Meador, and 2012 Michael Brockers and...not JJ- not Tru....but Greg Zuerlein.

Also 1980 The original Johnny Johnson and Leroy Irvin. Anybody have another?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was going to go with Tommy Polley/Adam Archuleta but went Dickerson/Ellard instead.
Great thread!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Went with Roman and Merlin, hard to argue against them. But my personal favorite as I never saw Merlin and Roman play would be ED and Henry Ellard. Those 2 provided lots of entertainment for me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also 1997 Orlando Pace and Dexter McLeon wasn't exactly a bad duo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Torry Holt/Dre Bly deserves honorable mention as well

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too bad the rest of SJax's draft was just horrible. Good lord no wonder we were bad but our drafts between about 2002 and 2007 were just atrocious. That's why the Rams were bad for so long our drafts were disgustingly bad.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And with an asterisk * Jim Everett/Tom Newberry deserves mention also....

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly

Dickerson an Ellard for me too. But with that fire power, who was the qb in 83, 84 and 86? It was Dieter Brock in 85, I'm pretty sure. The Rams perennially had good defenses back then. I think.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dickerson an Ellard for me too. But with that fire power, who was the qb in 83, 84 and 86? It was Dieter Brock in 85, I'm pretty sure. The Rams perennially had good defenses back then. I think.
83 was Ferragamo, 84 was him and Kemp and 86 should have been Everett's first year along with Bartkowski and Dils.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also 1997 Orlando Pace and Dexter McLeon wasn't exactly a bad duo.
I had a bunch of honorable mentions I was going to list. I was just tired as crap when I finished putting it together and posting all the pics. That was one I almost listed along with Holt/Bly in ‘98 and a few others. I also almost listed it by threes, as there were a number of drafts with 3 really good players. But then I saw the majority of drafts really dropped off after one or two quality players.

With all this data I have I think there’s another draft post in there somewhere before draft day.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Dickerson shouldn't be on the list simply because of how he acted at the end.

I went from being a big fan of his to really disliking him.

I was living in Indianapolis when he got traded and there were occasional stories (credible) about how selfish he was. His assholeishness even got him suspended for several games by the Colts front office.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I had a bunch of honorable mentions I was going to list. I was just tired as crap when I finished putting it together and posting all the pics. That was one I almost listed along with Holt/Bly in ‘98 and a few others. I also almost listed it by threes, as there were a number of drafts with 3 really good players. But then I saw the majority of drafts really dropped off after one or two quality players.

With all this data I have I think there’s another draft post in there somewhere before draft day.

It's good work and a fun topic so I think I speak for everyone when I say good job.

Yeah Holt/Bly shoulda made the list. But it's tough decision making because the list is pretty effing good.

fearsomefour

Legend
Dickerson shouldn't be on the list simply because of how he acted at the end.

I went from being a big fan of his to really disliking him.

I was living in Indianapolis when he got traded and there were occasional stories (credible) about how selfish he was. His assholeishness even got him suspended for several games by the Colts front office.
Who cares?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Who cares?

I do because with Everett the Rams could have had one of the top 3 or 4 QB/RB tandems and may have actually made some noise in the playoffs and had a great run for several years rather than falling apart.

I agree that he should have been paid way more money and that it was a mistake to not give him more, but he sat out. He quit on his team.

And that could have been an excellent team and behind that OL the Rams would have been on top of the division often.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I chose Dickerson and Ellard, mainly because the others were all before I discovered football. But who knows Donald and Joyner still have some say in how high they can move up this list.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All great Players, Obviously, But I Picked * 1961 - Deacon Jones and Joe Scibelli Because the are Both in the Hall of Fame!

The only other pairing, that we had to chose from, That can say that is *1971 - Isiah Robertson and Jack Youngblood!!

You could call these two selections '1a' and '1b'!!