Top 5 positions of need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think this team has a lot of talent and the holes aren't nearly as glaring as they once were a couple short seasons ago. IMO these are the 5 positions that the Rams need to address in the offseason.

1. QB...Austin Davis looks like a good backup. Sam might get another crack but there is no way the Rams go into next season all in on him. I think Hill retires this offseason. I'd like to see the Rams bring Sam back at a reduced rate. Bring back Davis. Sign another veteran that can compete. And finally, draft a REAL prospect, not another 6th round Garrett Gilbert type.

2. Interior offensive line. Last year I thought our worst starter was Chris Williams. This year I believe it is Davin Joseph. Scott Wells is pretty close to the end of the line as an effective starter. I just wonder what the coaching staff really thinks about Barnes and Jones.

3. Linebacker. It was nice to see Ogletree have a productive game. Hopefully he has turned a corner and will be more of a force the remainder of the season. Lauranaitis gets some criticism from a lot of fans...I still think he is our best LB at this point. Dunbar is adequate and at times can make really great plays. I'd like to at least see a young LB brought in that can compete for playing time.

4. Tackle. Robinson is settling into the LT spot nicely. He has some growing to do but IMO he's played better than Long was playing. Barksdale is a good starter as well, but he has been exposed at times. I don't see how the Rams can bring Long back next year. I think it would be a wise move to draft another tackle in 2nd-3rd round to be the swing guy or even compete for the RT job with Barksdale.

5. Defensive back. I think Gaines is playing great. I'm anxious to see how Johnson does the remainder of the season. Joyner I think can be a good player, but I am a bit disappointed in his play so far. Jenkins has not lived up to his ability IMO...I know he was coming off of injury today but he was clearly targeted by Palmer. The safety position is curious to me. McDonald and Barron are clearly the most talented but they share a similar skill set. McLeod I think might be better served as a slot corner (I almost wonder if Joyner and McLeod should switch spots). I am curious to see what Williams does at safety the more practice that Barron gets in.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Good post

I actually don't think the Rams five positions of need if you combine the interior as one need. So I'm just gonna go with five positions.

Legit back up QB-By legit I mean finge starter. Mark Sanchez, Orthon (Meh), or even a trade for Manziel or somebody..

2 Center- Scott Wells, nuff said

3 RG- Robinson stays at LT and Joseph is upgradable

4. LB'er- Dunbar is slowing down a bit. He'd still be great depth, though.

5. Third string QB- I just want a guy with more upside than Davis. A nifty QB with an arm would make things very interesting.

Not really much else than that.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Sum-

Agree with everything you listed. I really think we need an upgrade from McLeod. He is too limited as a cover safety.
I like Joyner. He's made his rookie mistakes but I think he will only get better.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Good job of evaluation.
I agree.
But what has to be considered is Sneed's first draft class is going into their fourth year. Decisions have to be made on who they want to resign and if they think they can resign them at a price that works for them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1-QB to compete with Bradford, Davis & Hill
#2-OG to replace ORG Davin Joseph
#3-OT to replace ORT Joe Barksdale who enters UFA & OT Jake Long will be released.
#4-LB to push Jo Dunbar
#5-OT to replace swing OT Mike Person who enters UFA

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's funny I read an NFL.com article similar to this last week, "Gil Brandt's Top-3 needs for every team", or something like that. His top three was complete shit, for the Rams: QB, RB, CB. QB is definite. RB is laughable, I don't think Brandt has seen the Rams roster, unless he's trying to be funny. I think once all of our CB's get healthy and fully adapt to the new playbook they will be solid.

1. OL-Center, Guard, anyone to clog the middle. 2- QB 3-FS 4-LB

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I'm surprised no one is saying WR. They just aren't good enough yet. Much better with Quick, but exposed without him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's funny I read an NFL.com article similar to this last week, "Gil Brandt's Top-3 needs for every team", or something like that. His top three was complete crap, for the Rams: QB, RB, CB. QB is definite. RB is laughable, I don't think Brandt has seen the Rams roster, unless he's trying to be funny. I think once all of our CB's get healthy and fully adapt to the new playbook they will be solid.

1. OL-Center, Guard, anyone to clog the middle. 2- QB 3-FS 4-LB

Rams have (S I X) Young good developing CB's signed for 2015.
#1-T. Johnson
#2-J.Jenkins
#3-EJ Gaines
#4-M. Roberson
#5-B. McGee
#6-L. Joyner

Tell me how Brandt came up with that conclusion????

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Rams have (S I X) Young CB's signed for 2015.
#1-T. Johnson
#2-J.Jenkins
#3-EJ Gaines
#4-M. Roberson
#5-B. McGee
#6-L. Joyner

No clue, he's an idiot. He had RB at a Top-3 need. RB? RB! We have Mason, Stacy, Cunningham, Watts, Pead? and Tavon Austin. RB is the last thing we need.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm surprised no one is saying WR. They just aren't good enough yet. Much better with Quick, but exposed without him.
they were getting open. i heard plenty of times that they were open but Davis either through it short, held on to ball to long or line didnt protect.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams have (S I X) Young good developing CB's signed for 2015.
#1-T. Johnson
#2-J.Jenkins
#3-EJ Gaines
#4-M. Roberson
#5-B. McGee
#6-L. Joyner

I just don't think there is truly a top corner out of our bunch. I think you've got some good ones, but nothing great. I think it is a position you can live with what you have, but if you have a chance to upgrade you do it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think this has something to do with the regression that AD has gone through

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I don't think the WR corps is as deadly as some like to think...but I think our OC gets in the way a lot of times...but I also think that much of the scheme is drawn up the way it is because of the limitations of our QB position.

I certainly wouldn't complain if the Rams added another playmaker to the group, but I just don't view it as one of the biggest needs of the team right now.

Limey

Rookie
There was a 3rd and short in the 4th quarter when the game was still there to be won, and Schotty called a pass play to Steadman Bailey which went incomplete. I was screaming at the tv, calling Schotty all sorts of names. Then I saw the replay, and it was clear that it was a really well-designed play that would have given Bailey a big gain if Davis had the composure to get it to him. It made me wonder how many other decent calls are let down by poor execution.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Top 5 for 2015:
1. QB: Kyle Orton as backup to Bradford; Bradford being back and healthy-don't throw tomatoes; if they have to replace him, the rookie won't do anything in 2015. THis team is ready for the playoffs
2. FS who can run and cover, hit a lil and be in correct position; are there any in FA or in draft that are capable.
3. LG and Center (I think the center is on the roster, already)
4. WLB: I think Ogletree would be an excellent "#2" Linebacker (meaning he gets off the field on 3rd down). I want someone quicker in coverage, and more aggressive hitter/tackler. Ya, ya, i know there is no SLB or WLB
in this system---I just don't believe it. I know Alec had two good games in a row; ain't enough for me.
5. WR: Quick is good enough; Britt was a stop gap; Stedman, sadly is not near where he was with Bradford at the end of last year.

2015:
a)
By the way, Langford is awesome when he wants to stuff the run; and he won that SF game when he stuffed the center back; I hope they can bring him back at $3million a year or something next year; Aaron Donald can't hold up
every game.
b) The whole O line does not look good to me; GRob looks out of position, and not so effective to me too much. Saffold looks average, but what can they do with his $6mill salary? Joe Barks, I guess they have to keep him, but I don't
care about his stats, he just looks average to me (play in and play out--no intensity)

I think getting all 5 healty is very doable. If we brought in Kyle Orton, Like I wanted (as others did, too) we would have Orton to back up Bradford and we can still go
to the playoffs in 2015.

I am sooooo happy to be back; I stopped watching games because I had no one to talk with the games!!! Does this make me more effinate? I hope not ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just don't think there is truly a top corner out of our bunch. I think you've got some good ones, but nothing great. I think it is a position you can live with what you have, but if you have a chance to upgrade you do it.

Maybe Sum1 but with the Rams having to mainly go with starting ROOKIE CB's in Gaines, Joyner & Roberson with the injuries to our top three veteran CB's (Johnson-Jenkins-McGee) says much too me. I 'll take this 6 corners over anything the Rams have had in many decades. EJ Gaines may be a future top corner in the making! Gregg Williams really puts a ton of pressure on our CB's with his defense!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They're getting open plenty of times. It's just that Davis can't find them, it just looks bad because without Quick for Davis to lock onto it's all spiraling out of control.

As for Sum's original post. Flip Tackle with FS and I completely agree with you.

Rams0307

1. QB
2. OG
3. C
4. MLB
5. FS

The Center may already be on the roster in Barnes or Jones. If that's the case, #5 is WR for me right now.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

Well & don't forget next year is a contract year for Quick. Imo we'll be picking in the 7-12 range this year, in perfect range for Amari Cooper or Kevin White. The only top tier QB I'd want is Winston, but he'll be gone by the time we pick.