Top 10 WR or Top 10 OT (a case study)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm torn too, but I'm still leaning towards Kalil.

It's hard to say, part of my justification is that AJ Green went 4th overall, and I don't think Blackmon is better than AJ Green.

I dunno, I'll be happy with either pick honestly, but I'd rather Kalil just because if we don't get Bradford more time in the pocket to throw it wont matter who he's throwing to.

I'll need more time before I make any final decisions, but as of now I'm saying Matt Kalil.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Hate to talk about the draft this early. With the season still going and all, but Im a Kalil guy. He is the best tackle prospect to come out in years. Probably best since Joe Thomas. Maybe better.

Im very anti Blackmon too(in the top 10). He is very overrated if you ask me.

Morris Claiborne is the only player, other than Kalil, Id consider right now in our current draft slot.

superfan24

Starter
Good work.

I would take Blackmon between the two just because I hate seeing a lot of money go to the o-line and he is a huge playmaker. I would understand the pick of Kalil though. Then we could potentially trade up to the late 1st to draft Michael Floyd or pray he falls to us in the 2nd.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
superfan24 said:
Good work.

I would take Blackmon between the two just because I hate seeing a lot of money go to the o-line and he is a huge playmaker. I would understand the pick of Kalil though. Then we could potentially trade up to the late 1st to draft Michael Floyd or pray he falls to us in the 2nd.

Someone posted the WR Free Agent class before, it's a pretty solid group of guys that can be the #2 easily if we keep Lloyd. That's an option as well, if we want to look at that route. Getting a solid #2 guy (Not a MSW guy who has struggled, but a solid #2) in the free agency offers a short term solution and allows us to address other needs (defense) and then look towards long term skill position guys when we have a better foundation.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
superfan24 said:
Good work.

Remember tho that the top 10 draft picks won't have insane amounts of gaurenteed salary thanks to the rookie salary cap now.

Really want Blackmon/Jeffery. Really, really do. But taking Kalil might be much more necessary.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We need a WR more than anything else, got to get playmakers. 10.1 ppg won't cut it.
Problem is Blackmon isn't worthy of that high of a pick. Mid to late 1st rd talent at best unless he goes all J. Jones and runs a 4.3.

Kalil is that good, worth the 2nd or 3rd pick.
He improves 3 positions not just one. He goes LT, Saffold improves RT and J. Smith either restructures and moves to G or restructures and becomes backup T or just gets cut and even with the dead money can still get another starter at a position of need. As much as I like him it's time to cut bait with a few of these guys.

It's a win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yamahopper said:
We need a WR more than anything else, got to get playmakers. 10.1 ppg won't cut it.
Problem is Blackmon isn't worthy of that high of a pick. Mid to late 1st rd talent at best unless he goes all J. Jones and runs a 4.3.

He improves 3 positions not just one. He goes LT, Saffold improves RT and J. Smith either restructures and moves to G or restructures and becomes backup T or just gets cut and even with the dead money can still get another starter at a position of need. As much as I like him it's time to cut bait with a few of these guys.

It's a win.
"Aw he'll just get injured too! Back the truck up! Cue the fat lady!"

randy-quaid-major-league.jpg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:
Yamahopper said:

It's a win.
"Aw he'll just get injured too! Back the truck up! Cue the fat lady!"

randy-quaid-major-league.jpg

It's well known that the first question a rookie asks his agent after being drafted by the Rams is " Do I still get payed when I'm on the IR"

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Only way I take Kalil over Blackmon is if you could guarantee me Marvin McNutt (lol) or Dwight Jones in the second.

Blackmon's play looks too much like a young Torry Holt for this Rams fan to pass on.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Oxnard said:
Only way I take Kalil over Blackmon is if you could guarantee me Marvin McNutt (lol) or Dwight Jones in the second.

Blackmon's play looks too much like a young Torry Holt for this Rams fan to pass on.

Without Pace protecting his blindside, does Warner have time to hit Holt on all those deep in routes? The 9 routes?? just sayin....

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Faceplant said:
Oxnard said:

Without Pace protecting his blindside, does Warner have time to hit Holt on all those deep in routes? The 9 routes?? just sayin....

If, and thats a big if, we stay in this offense, do we need a Pace?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I dont see Blackmon as the type of WR we need.

When you take a WR in the top 5 or 10 you expect him to excel in almost ever aspect. Blackmon only excels in one IMO. He has a great catch radius for his size (6-1) and runs solid routes. Other than that I think is average at best.

He doenst have game changing speed or off the charts athletic ability. He doesnt have the size to be a matchup nightmare for CBs. He fumbles the ball way too much. OSUs number 1 WR always puts up crazy numbers(where is Rashaun Woods now?)

When you draft a WR in the top 5 you better be sure you are getting a Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, Calvin Johnson etc. Even guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oxnard said:
Faceplant said:
Oxnard said:

If, and thats a big if, we stay in this offense, do we need a Pace?

Fair question, and I believe the answer is yes...we DEFINITELY need all the help we can get a pretty much any position on the OL.I know we have drafted and sunk too much $$$ into the OL, but the fact is, they still suck. Kalil looks to be a potential lockdown LT, unlike JSmooth and Saffold. Won't argue with a playmaker pic tho, we need help desperately there as well. Damn this thread is depressing.....

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
libertadrocks said:

When you take a WR in the top 5 or 10 you expect him to excel in almost ever aspect. Blackmon only excels in one IMO. He has a great catch radius for his size (6-1) and runs solid routes. Other than that I think is average at best.

He doenst have game changing speed or off the charts athletic ability. He doesnt have the size to be a matchup nightmare for CBs. He fumbles the ball way too much. OSUs number 1 WR always puts up crazy numbers(where is Rashaun Woods now?)

When you draft a WR in the top 5 you better be sure you are getting a Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, Calvin Johnson etc. Even guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones.

Funny, a guy who is 5'9 185lbs ran a 4.61 and leads the NFL in yards and catches and is a top 10 in touchdowns.

How about 6'0 204 lbs running a 4.49 (basically a 4.5) being a top 10 in catches, top 5 in yards, and tied for 10th in touchdowns? Oh yeah...it's only his 2nd year too.

Bottom line is size does not make the player. Period.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oxnard said:
That's true to an extent. But if McDaniels has anything to say about it, he's going to favor the taller, stronger receivers. That's always been his preference. Take a look at the guys the Rams just drafted.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blackmon is great but I don't see him worthy of the #2 pick. 4-6? Yeah I'd say grab him. 3? I might even go for that LSU CB Morris or whatever (name escapes me, I'm not home right now) over him depending on how much his stock rises. If we do indeed draft #2 depending again on draft stock rising or falling, given what we know I don't see the Rams passing on Kalil. Especially if they feel they can resign Lloyd and pull someone in the offseason to be a better #2 than Gibson (maybe even Pettis, he's forced to play slot, but I think he's better that Gibson at the #2 spot)...

If they aren't confident they can get Lloyd and upgrade via FA, then yeah, Blackmon is the choice in my eyes. But I'm still betting the Rams take Kalil.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Oxnard said:
libertadrocks said:

Funny, a guy who is 5'9 185lbs ran a 4.61 and leads the NFL in yards and catches and is a top 10 in touchdowns.

How about 6'0 204 lbs running a 4.49 (basically a 4.5) being a top 10 in catches, top 5 in yards, and tied for 10th in touchdowns? Oh yeah...it's only his 2nd year too.

Your two examples were UDFAs... Im not sure I understand your point. I never said size makes a player. I was making the point that if youre drafting a WR in the top 5 you better make sure he is the complete package. Blackmon, IMO, is not the complete package.

Guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker will never be highly rated coming out of college. There are always gems in the rough. Finding them is more luck than anything else.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kalil. People are saying he's in the class of Pace, Jones, and Ogden when they were drafted - a once-in-a-generation left tackle who would go first overall if Luck wasn't there. I'm not hearing many Torry Holt comparisons with Blackmon.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memento said:
Kalil. People are saying he's in the class of Pace, Jones, and Ogden when they were drafted - a once-in-a-generation left tackle who would go first overall if Luck wasn't there. I'm not hearing many Torry Holt comparisons with Blackmon.

My point exactly. A franchise LT is as important as anything, especially with a young (battered) QB.....

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Faceplant said:
Memento said:

My point exactly. A franchise LT is as important as anything, especially with a young (battered) QB.....

I'm just not sold on Kalil. JSooth was a "project" but he dominated in college too. I don't want to draft a lineman number 2 overall and him not live up to his potential when we could draft playmakers.

Also, I'm not ready to give up on Saffold just yet. I think the lack of an offseason hurt him (strength wise). I stillthink he can be a SOLID LT...just get him a good line coach and an offseason to work with.