Top 10 WR or Top 10 OT (a case study)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kalil isn't considered a project, he's the best O-Lineman in the draft by a long ways, and he's NFL ready. The rookie that the Cowboys drafted in the first round (I forget his name) to play LT for them (starting day one I believe) only played RT in college because Kalil was so good he kept the LT spot. Really good play, very good at pass protection. There's always an adjustment, but I wouldn't call him a project. Saffold moving from left to Right doesn't seem like giving up on him either, Smith is kind of the one we're giving up on with that draft pick. Unless Smith is willing to restructure his contract and play LG (cross your fingers) then he'd be cut, but I feel drafting Kalil upgrades several positions. Especially if Smith is willing to play LG, then suddenly we have a good LT, LG, RG, and RT... Depending on who we get for center, and everyone is able to stay healthy, we could be looking at a much better O-Line.

At least on paper.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Oxnard said:
Faceplant said:
Memento said:
Kalil. People are saying he's in the class of Pace, Jones, and Ogden when they were drafted - a once-in-a-generation left tackle who would go first overall if Luck wasn't there. I'm not hearing many Torry Holt comparisons with Blackmon.

My point exactly. A franchise LT is as important as anything, especially with a young (battered) QB.....

I'm just not sold on Kalil. JSooth was a "project" but he dominated in college too. I don't want to draft a lineman number 2 overall and him not live up to his potential when we could draft playmakers.

Also, I'm not ready to give up on Saffold just yet. I think the lack of an offseason hurt him (strength wise). I stillthink he can be a SOLID LT...just get him a good line coach and an offseason to work with.

The Cowboy's rookie RT, Tyron Smith, who they ultimately view as their long term LT, drafted 10th overall, has had his talent level compared to Larry Allen, and has had an outstanding first season was force to play RT in college because Kalil is so good.

Saying Jason Smith was dominant in college is a bit of a stretch. He was drafted because of a good senior season and his "potential"

Jason Wont be around next year if he doesnt redo his deal. That leaves a whole at OT. Kalil is a freak. He becomes Pace part 2 and Saffold moves to RT.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Horns of Gold said:
Memento said:
Kalil. People are saying he's in the class of Pace, Jones, and Ogden when they were drafted - a once-in-a-generation left tackle who would go first overall if Luck wasn't there. I'm not hearing many Torry Holt comparisons with Blackmon.

He's not being compared to Holt because he's being compared to Terrell Owens.

Who the Rams' coach next season will go a long way in determining who the pick will be. If it's an offensive-minded, aggressive coach it will be Blackmon. If it's another conservative, "safe", play-the-percentages guy, it will be Kalil.

But if Lloyd doesn't resign then I think you could already start printing Blackmon's jersey.

If Lloyd doesn't resign, then yeah Blackmon is probably the pick.

Even an offensive minded coach will look at Kalil very closely, because he has very good pass protection skills, and you can't air it out if your can't protect your quarterback.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Horns of Gold said:
Memento said:

He's not being compared to Holt because he's being compared to Terrell Owens.

Who the Rams' coach next season will go a long way in determining who the pick will be. If it's an offensive-minded, aggressive coach it will be Blackmon. If it's another conservative, "safe", play-the-percentages guy, it will be Kalil.

But if Lloyd doesn't resign then I think you could already start printing Blackmon's jersey.

Terrell Owens? That just solidifies my stance. I'm wary of taking OSU wideouts because they rarely ever work out in the NFL. They're either awful (Rashaun Woods), have huge character issues (Adarius Bowman), or they have attitude problems (Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon). Being compared to Terrell Owens is the last thing that Blackmon needed, but I can actually see it, now that you mentioned it.

Meanwhile, Kalil is dominant in every aspect of the game. If he has a bad tape, I have yet to see it. This guy is better than Joe Thomas, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Jake Long, and Ryan Clady when they came out. That ought to tell you something. Like libertadrocks and bluecoconuts stated, he kept Tyron Smith, the guy whom Dallas drafted with the ninth overall pick this year, on the right side because he's so good. That also says more about the quality of Kalil's play than anything I could say.

Another factor that you have to consider is that this draft is extremely deep when it comes to wideouts. Guys like Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), Marvin McNutt (Iowa), and Dwight Jones (North Carolina) could very well fall because of the depth this class has (in Floyd's case, character issues are the reason why he could fall). Meanwhile, after the top three offensive tackles (Kalil, Jonathan "Moose" Martin out of Stanford, and Riley Reiff out of Iowa), there's a huge drop in talent, and a lot of the prospects with first or second round potential (such as Andrew Datko out of Florida State) come with big risks (for example, Datko is having his second shoulder surgery).

Even the coach who wants an aggressive offense would probably take Kalil over Blackmon, unless he happens to hate offensive tackles; you never pass up on the best prospect at a position of absolute need - and we desperately need help at left tackle. Kalil has been consistently rated as a better pro prospect than Blackmon or Alshon Jeffrey; the only person I've seen above him is Andrew Luck.