Too bad, it was pretty good game for Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Ball was in the air for 34 yards. Arm strength not really an issue on that play. Much less enough to make any evaluation on.
On average, how many times do QBs realistically throw the ball 50-60 yards in the air in a game anyway? Once? Less than once?

If a QB can make a 40 yard sideline throw with velocity and without much effort, I'm not worried. What matters much more after that is accuracy, and despite all the training camp reports and what he's showed at times in preseason, Davis has been surprisingly accurate up until this point.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
On average, how many times do QBs realistically throw the ball 50-60 yards in the air in a game anyway? Once? Less than once?

If a QB can make a 40 yard sideline throw with velocity and without much effort, I'm not worried. What matters much more after that is accuracy, and despite all the training camp reports and what he's showed at times in preseason, Davis has been surprisingly accurate up until this point.

.....completely agree. I think most really don't realize just how few times even on the "big plays" (bombs) the ball is actually in the air for anything much more than 40 yards. Which almost every High School QB can throw. It is all about timing and accuracy.

And I am the first to admit, I was one of the people reporting on how BAD his accuracy on the practice field was. And why I openly have now admitted repeatedly, that he has played better than I expected.

Last edited:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who said AD sucks? I didn't say Cook sucks . . . I think Davis just got anxious here, which is too bad. Maybe he just predeterined where he was going, but overall he did pretty well.
Also, AD had gotten absolutely clobbered just the play or 2 before when that pass rusher came in and drilled him. Could that have made him a little woozy but he still gutted it out?

WCWarEagle

UDFA
Name
Joshua
Before the interception you could see him looking to the sideline nodding and pointing forward like he was saying "Yeah, yeah I know. We need to push it down the field." Still shouldn't of made that throw into double coverage but just something else to ponder. Also the pick 6 was the 1st pass after the Cook incident.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Had he not thrown a pick 6, or an INT on the "let's get the done boys" last drive, he would be a Rams legend.

Seems like many here are forgetting that...Jesus H.Christ...this WAS the year Sam was gonna be the man, I'm not ready to crown AD just yet, all he had to do was not fuck it up...well guess what?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
A.D is a bright spot and to much of ours surprise he is playing better than a 3rd string QB who shared snaps with a drafted QB in training camp.
I want to see his ceiling he is one of the reasons to watch bringing excitement, heart and effort hell he is bringing skill and making plays. I hope to heck we see him start at least until he tops out and then if he is a liability play the vet but not until we know what he has. I certainly do not want to pull him and possibly kill his confidence. Let him play jmo

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on guys, we are talking about a 3rd string QB in his 3rd game. In his 2 starts, his QB Rating was 99.1 and 98. If he has not FAR EXCEEDED your expectations, you need to re-calibrate. This isn't Madden or Fantasy Football. This is a guy who has stepped in and done an amazing job. If you are not impressed, I don't know what to tell you.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Come on guys, we are talking about a 3rd string QB in his 3rd game. In his 2 starts, his QB Rating was 99.1 and 98. If he has not FAR EXCEEDED your expectations, you need to re-calibrate. This isn't Madden or Fantasy Football. This is a guy who has stepped in and done an amazing job. If you are not impressed, I don't know what to tell you.

And I would counter he's in his 3rd year (as was Sam) in the same system, they kept him around for a reason, I'm not a AD hater I like the guys fire, and he sure as hell isn't the 1st QB to throw an ill-advised game losing pick, but when Fisher trots Hill out vs. Philly, I'll understand why (because at this point, he's the best option)

We'll see what happens I guess.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure what you are countering. But, if you are comparing a 3rd string QB going into his 3rd year who has played in zero games to a starter going into his 5th year, who has played in 49 games, there is a huge difference there. The difference in the amount of game experience, the number of practice reps, etc. is gigantic. I firmly stand behind my belief that if you are disappointed in Austin Davis's performances at this point, then you are operating with very unrealistic expectations. I just don't understand people who are not pleasantly surprised by him so far.

My one complaint is he should have taken the sack on the pick 6. But then some would just complain about him taking sacks he shouldn't.

Overall for a guy who started the preseason as our 4th string I'm very optimistic about him, and if Fisher starts Hill against Philly I'll be pissed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd just like to pat myself on the back and say:

I knew he'd be better than Hill.....now how can I get like $1,000,000 in the money thingy?:cool:;):sneaky: