TNF-Vance Joseph & The Run

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I just had to commend Vance Joseph on a good job with the 4th qtr clock management. Keep running the ball!

The reason why I made this thread is because its something McVay doesn't seem to have yet. Clock management. I wonder where we'd be if McVay just kept running the ball. Who cares if your not getting an instant first down. Its about running down the clock, and wearing down the D. This is something that McVay needs to polish.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It was the Colts in fairness....Be intersting if the Broncos can go on a run to save Joseph's job, listening to Elway a few weeks ago, it sounded like he made a mistake hiring Vance Joseph, but the Broncos have won two in a row albeit against the Jets who lost their starting QB and the hapless Indianapolis Colts. IMO, 6-10 looms on the horizon with two games left against the Redskins & Chiefs both at home....They could spin it with saying that Joseph won his last 3 out of 4, but I have a feeling that Elway wants an offensive coach, so we shall see if Joseph is one and done.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I have to completely disagree. How many games have we ended with the run? I think we held the ball around 6 mins at the end of the Cardinals game. We went on an 8 minute drive at the end of the Saints game. He kills plenty of clock.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One man's controlling the clock to prevent a loss, is another man's Fisher Ball....

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
One man's running the ball to seal a win....

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Can't run the clock in every situation . Against a good offense you want to take that kill shot and put the game away .

Fisher always ran the clock down when we had the lead , then The other team would get the ball back and score with 2 minutes left .

fearsomefour

Legend
One man's controlling the clock to prevent a loss, is another man's Fisher Ball....
This is it.
There will always be a potential complaint.
No offense just gets to do what they want all the time. If McVay went conservative and ran three times and didn't get a first down vs NO and had to punt there would have been a holy hell of complaining....too predictable, Fisher ball, Marty ball etc.
McVay threw a lot late in that game.....if Goff threw a pic or there were drops that stopped the clock and gave the ball back to NO, the complaints would have been about running the ball.
The games that stand out in terms of closing it out pounding the ball the whole fourth Quarter were the first Cardinals game and the Giants game. Those teams were totally defeated and were done by that time in the game.
So, to just say pound the call every week regardless of what the D is doing, the score or anything else is a recipe to lose some games.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I guess come next game against Seattle if we aren't utilizing our RBs enough there should be no complaints on the game thread...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So I guess come next game against Seattle if we aren't utilizing our RBs enough there should be no complaints on the game thread...
It depends, do we win? If so, not at all. But this season shows that Gurley needs 20-25 touches for us to really put a team away.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Gurley needs 20-25 touches for us to really put a team away.
That's about what Anderson had, and he isn't half the RB Gurley is, skill wise. I am just saying we can resort more to running. Now that we got Brown back that is a bonus.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That's about what Anderson had, and he isn't half the RB Gurley is, skill wise. I am just saying we can resort more to running. Now that we got Brown back that is a bonus.
Completely agree. But McVay has definitely used the clock to kill games. Denver is a mess offensively this year. They have to rely on the run game to win.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Completely agree. But McVay has definitely used the clock to kill games. Denver is a mess offensively this year. They have to rely on the run game to win.
I think we should be a 60% running team, 40% passing team. I don't think we should be a 60% passing, 40% running. I say Gurley gets 20+ touches against Seattle, Brown possibly half.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think we should be a 60% running team, 40% passing team. I don't think we should be a 60% passing, 40% running. I say Gurley gets 20+ touches against Seattle, Brown possibly half.

Passing is a strength now. The run/pass things wasn't the issue against Philly. It was defense not getting off the field, so the O didn't get as much time out there as they liked.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
try that against an eagles D and its 3 and out. you cant just run the ball all the time when you have a lead.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
try that against an eagles D and its 3 and out. you cant just run the ball all the time when you have a lead.
You can if Gurley is getting the yards. Gurley was getting the yards, 13 touches and almost 100 yds. They shut him down on a few snaps at the end, but they were not able to stop him for most of the game.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Passing is a strength now.
Under favorable circumstances yes; however with a noise level @ Seattle we may need to stick to something basic without there being confusion. Most want to bring up "Fisher Ball," but if "Fisher Ball" can beat Seattle why not?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
You can if Gurley is getting the yards. Gurley was getting the yards, 13 touches and almost 100 yds. They shut him down on a few snaps at the end, but they were not able to stop him for most of the game.

they shut him down because they new it was coming. how many times do you see good defenses shut that down at the end of a game and their team gets a chance to win it? im not talking about Indy im talking about a good team?