TNF: Dolphins@Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's too many questions, and I don't care enough about this topic to answer them all.
My original assertion was that Flacco slid too late. Nothing's really changed in that regard. (y)

That's just the tip of the iceberg, bub. I have more questions than the Rams have points in 2017. And unlike in past years, that's actually a high number at the mid-point in the season. Watch yourself. ;)

I've said my piece in this thread. I'm out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's too many questions, and I don't care enough about this topic to answer them all.
My original assertion was that Flacco slid too late. Nothing's really changed in that regard. (y)
I have just one question. The fact that he slid late in your opinion makes it ok to hit him in the head with your shoulder as a defender?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's just the tip of the iceberg, bub. I have more questions than the Rams have points in 2017. And unlike in past years, that's actually a high number at the mid-point in the season. Watch yourself. ;)
giphy.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All that really needs to be said is if it was so impossible to pull off due to Flacco's late slide, why was #90 able to do it?

maybe because in that still shot 90 is in sharp focus while kiko is a blur. that may give you an idea of the different speeds each player was moving at. flacco looks like a driver that cuts in front of a semi trailer when traffic is coming to a complete stop then wonders why the truck ran into the back of him. you gotta think about these things. he was going for the first down. he knew it, kiko knew it. they were both committed, except joe chickened out at the last second and got steamrolled.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have just one question. The fact that he slid late in your opinion makes it ok to hit him in the head with your shoulder as a defender?
You're gonna tweak a hammy jumping to conclusions like that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're gonna tweak a hammy jumping to conclusions like that.
So what it's just an unfortunate circumstance that Alonso dove 4-5 yards away from the ball carrier. He couldn't control the dive or himself. It's not really his fault he launched himself at a guy going to the ground and leveled his shoulder at his head. It's all Joe Flacco's fault he got his helmet knocked off. All I've seen is people telling us it's Flacco's fault nothing Kiko could do to avoid contributing to Joe's CTE later in life.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So what it's just an unfortunate circumstance that Alonso dove 4-5 yards away from the ball carrier. He couldn't control the dive or himself. It's not really his fault he launched himself at a guy going to the ground and leveled his shoulder at his head. It's all Joe Flacco's fault he got his helmet knocked off. All I've seen is people telling us it's Flacco's fault nothing Kiko could do to avoid contributing to Joe's CTE later in life.
Meh. It is what it is. I have no emotional investment in either player. Just calling it like I see it. Two guys running toward the first down marker, and one (QB) took advantage of the slide rule by stretching the boundaries of its enforcement while the other salivated at the opportunity to blow up a QB.

They're both at fault. I haven't absolved or indicted anyone specifically.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh. It is what it is. I have no emotional investment in either player. Just calling it like I see it. Two guys running toward the first down marker, and one (QB) took advantage of the slide rule by stretching the boundaries of its enforcement while the other salivated at the opportunity to blow up a QB.

They're both at fault. I haven't absolved or indicted anyone specifically.
Two guys running to make a play. One guy we've been told should be adjusting his body motion while running forward and the other, who's a better athlete, we're told isn't able to adjust his body and trajectory in the same time that the runner is able to.

We know the rules don't allow you to hit any runner in the head with your forearm, shoulder or helmet. Yet one guy did that. And we're told it's not his fault it's the other guys fault. I don't like either player or either team. But the play is what it is. A penalty and a dirty hit that could have been avoided. But the problem is that some fans can't stand that the NFL is trying to make the game safer for people in particular when it comes to head injuries. They have lawsuits filed against them, by these very players and their predecessors, saying they don't care about head trauma. Yet here we have fans, and former players, saying this head trauma is ok and in fact is the fault of the person receiving it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Two guys running to make a play. One guy we've been told should be adjusting his body motion while running forward and the other, who's a better athlete, we're told isn't able to adjust his body and trajectory in the same time that the runner is able to.

We know the rules don't allow you to hit any runner in the head with your forearm, shoulder or helmet. Yet one guy did that. And we're told it's not his fault it's the other guys fault. I don't like either player or either team. But the play is what it is. A penalty and a dirty hit that could have been avoided. But the problem is that some fans can't stand that the NFL is trying to make the game safer for people in particular when it comes to head injuries. They have lawsuits filed against them, by these very players and their predecessors, saying they don't care about head trauma. Yet here we have fans, and former players, saying this head trauma is ok and in fact is the fault of the person receiving it.
ecc0901278b1cf475d9e42abecb81eb0.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But everything in the NFL takes place in the course of one second. Todd Gurley has a split second to make a jump cut. The defender has a split second to react. That's football.

How often do you see a QB hit like that? How often do you see a QB slide with a defender running at him? How is it that so many other defenders can avoid taking the QB's head off? What makes this play special or different? Are you telling me that Flacco slid so much later than any other QB would in the same situation? I just don't see that at all.
You can argue all day long but the simple fact is that Flacco should have slid earlier and actually slid. Would any other QB have slid earlier in that SAME situation? Absolutely. I have seen Wussell Willson do it many times and I would argue that he is probably far less protected than Flacco because he is more of a runner. Flacco flopped dropped and rolled too late. Period. Alonso had the goal of preventing ANYONE from getting to the first down marker. It is a bonus if that guy is the QB of the opposing team. You can ask what QB wouldn't have done what Flacco did? Not many defensive players wouldn't take that shot as Flacco presented it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can argue all day long but the simple fact is that Flacco should have slid earlier and actually slid. Would any other QB have slid earlier in that SAME situation? Absolutely. I have seen Wussell Willson do it many times and I would argue that he is probably far less protected than Flacco because he is more of a runner. Flacco flopped dropped and rolled too late. Period. Alonso had the goal of preventing ANYONE from getting to the first down marker. It is a bonus if that guy is the QB of the opposing team. You can ask what QB wouldn't have done what Flacco did? Not many defensive players wouldn't take that shot as Flacco presented it.
Funny how Flacco should have slid earlier to avoid the contact but Alonso in the same amount of space couldn't have adjusted his path at all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Funny how Flacco should have slid earlier to avoid the contact but Alonso in the same amount of space couldn't have adjusted his path at all.
He did adjust. He followed his target.

The problem I see here is this idea that they have to protect the QB but the QB has apparently no obligation to protect himself.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did adjust. He followed his target.

The problem I see here is this idea that they have to protect the QB but the QB has apparently no obligation to protect himself.
QB obviously has to protect himself it's called the feet first slide. And your comment just reinforces why so many people are blaming Flacco. It's not for the fact that he did something wrong it's the fact that the NFL is protecting the QB and everybody esle. You cannot hit people in the head it's as simple as that.

With all the lawsuits and negative press about CTE are you really shocked the NFL is taking steps to protect players? After all the bad press they got for supposedly not caring about the players?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Alonso was moving 3 times as fast as flacco.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
QB obviously has to protect himself it's called the feet first slide. And your comment just reinforces why so many people are blaming Flacco. It's not for the fact that he did something wrong it's the fact that the NFL is protecting the QB and everybody esle. You cannot hit people in the head it's as simple as that.

With all the lawsuits and negative press about CTE are you really shocked the NFL is taking steps to protect players? After all the bad press they got for supposedly not caring about the players?
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I just think this is a bad example of only the defender being at fault.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I just think this is a bad example of only the defender being at fault.
And imo it's even worse these people saying it's the guy who was bleeding out of his heads fault. NFL and its players have created this issue and we fans have to face the reality that they're changing this sport and have been for a few years now.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-will-not-be-suspended-for-hit-on-joe-flacco/

Kiko Alonso will not be suspended for hit on Joe Flacco
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 31, 2017

The NFL has decided not to suspend Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso for his hit on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco on Thursday night.

Alonso delivered a hard hit to Flacco’s head as Flacco was sliding, knocking Flacco’s helmet off and knocking Flacco out of the game.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said today that the league has reviewed the matter and there will be no suspensions stemming from any on-field misconduct during Week Eight. There likely will be fines for Alonso and other players who were involved in a scrum after the hit.

Alonso was given a 15-yard penalty at the time, but many observers thought the league should have done more, including an ejection and/or suspension. The NFL disagreed, and a fine is all Alonso will get.

VilleDeal

UDFA
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-will-not-be-suspended-for-hit-on-joe-flacco/

Kiko Alonso will not be suspended for hit on Joe Flacco
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 31, 2017

The NFL has decided not to suspend Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso for his hit on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco on Thursday night.

Alonso delivered a hard hit to Flacco’s head as Flacco was sliding, knocking Flacco’s helmet off and knocking Flacco out of the game.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said today that the league has reviewed the matter and there will be no suspensions stemming from any on-field misconduct during Week Eight. There likely will be fines for Alonso and other players who were involved in a scrum after the hit.

Alonso was given a 15-yard penalty at the time, but many observers thought the league should have done more, including an ejection and/or suspension. The NFL disagreed, and a fine is all Alonso will get.
nuff sai