TNF: Dolphins@Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/26/m...redictions-nfl-week-8-thursday-night-football

Previewing Dolphins-Ravens on Thursday Night Football: It's Matt Moore Time for Miami
By Conor Orr

“You’re getting way ahead of me.”

That’s what Dolphins coach Adam Gase said on Monday when asked if Jay Cutler (cracked ribs) will retain his starting gig by default once he returns to the playing field. Tonight’s Dolphins-Ravens game (8:25 p.m., NFL Network, CBS, Amazon Prime) features popular backup Matt Moore in a starting role for the first time since Jan. 8, 2017—a 30–12 playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In that game, Moore completed 80.56% of his passes (29-of-36) for 289 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

The opportunity gives Moore a chance to prove he can ignite the Dolphins’ offense in a way Cutler has not been able to. Miami is 4–2, though the unretired Cutler has been ho-hum at best, throwing seven touchdowns to five interceptions and just two games with a quarterback rating over 77.

Though Baltimore’s offense is sputtering, Moore will face one of the league’s most efficient defenses (the Ravens were fifth in Football Outsiders’ latest Defense-adjusted Value Over Average rankings) with a chance to crystallize some interesting numbers that have surfaced in recent Moore-Cutler comparisons.

Consider the following, via NFL’s Next Gen Stats:

• In Moore’s relief appearance against the Jets, he was averaging more Air Yards, Air Distance and fewer seconds from snap to throw than Cutler.

• In comparing Moore’s last two seasons with Cutler’s 2017, Moore is still averaging more Air Yards and Air Distance per attempt than Cutler by about a yard. Essentially, Gase’s offense is slightly more vertical with the longtime backup under center.

Maybe Gase doesn’t see it this way. As the Miami Herald reported earlier this week, Cutler is getting his job back unless Moore logs a “Dan Marino-like” performance. If that’s the case, I wonder what Gase would have labeled Moore’s first spot start of the 2016 season, a 34–13 thrashing of the Jets in which Moore threw for 236 yards, four touchdowns and just one interception (quarterback rating: 126.2)?

BOLD PREDICTION: Ravens coach John Harbaugh has already come to the defense of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg a few times this season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Ravens playcaller try something different to snap Baltimore out of this funk. Despite a slew of injuries to the team’s receiving corps (Breshad Perriman,

Mike Wallace and Jeremy Maclin are all listed as questionable), I think Joe Flacco will throw the ball 25 times in the first half—about the same number of attempts he had in the entire 30-17 win over the Raiders two weeks ago.

SCORE PREDICTION: MIAMI 23, BALTIMORE 17

Q729

Legend
5-2, right? It still hasn't quite sunk in yet...

Oh right. Goooo.... whoever I guess.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Might be the worst game of the week and it ends up on TNF.

James Otto

Starter
Kiko Alonso - what a piece of garbage. Karma is a bitch ....

How is he not ejected? He had plenty of time to pull back and not attempt to kill Flacco.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How the hell is he still in the game? Never seen a dirty hit like that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Flacco waited too long to slide. Defenders can't stop when they're committed to the tackle. Slide a yard earlier if you don't want to get hit.

God i hate qbs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hate taking this side....

Ok I won't

but did you see the speed with which Kiko came up to a guy that was trying to get every last yard....then slid???

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how there were no other penalties on the play . The refs didn't have the nerve to penalize the Ravens big lineman

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate taking this side....

Ok I won't

but did you see the speed with which Kiko came up to a guy that was trying to get every last yard....then slid???

Exactly. How's he supposed to stop with flacco running like he's going for the 1st down marker? Fucking qbs, think they can't be touched.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Stfu Romo you fuckwit. I love it when qbs try to cheat more yards then get blown the fuck up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh please. Flacco slid. Alonso purposefully went low and threw an elbow into his head at full speed. Y'all would lose your minds if someone did that to Goff. It was a dirty as fuck hit. It was dirtier than LMJ's hit on Bridgewater a couple years ago.

James Otto

Starter

Flacco waited too long to slide. Defenders can't stop when they're committed to the tackle. Slide a yard earlier if you don't want to get hit.

God i hate qbs.

Stfu Romo you fuckwit. I love it when qbs try to cheat more yards then get blown the freak up.

The issue is he led with the shoulder, tackling into the ground. If these defenders would approach these quarterbacks as if they were trying to tackle them, rather than kill them, they probably wouldn't get penalized even if they hit a sliding quarterback.

VilleDeal

UDFA
Shouldn't have been a penalty at all...this is not flag football. Look at it again in full speed and tell me if it would've been illegal if not a quarterback...problem being if he's outside the pocket he is just that.. a running back...GET REAL!
Offensive players now think they should b able to "perform" without any hindrances... And Tony is showing what he was now...poor broadcasting!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/scoreboard

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is in concussion protocol after taking a shot to the head from Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso, who was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. Flacco, whose helmet was dislodged, walked into the locker room while holding the left side of his face. Ryan Mallett takes over for Flacco.

The NFL's definition for "flagrant" is "extremely objectionable, conspicuous, unnecessary, avoidable, or gratuitous." That perfectly describes the hit that Dolphins LB Kiko Alonso put on Ravens QB Joe Flacco, driving his shoulder into Flacco's helmet as Flacco gave himself up. Referee John Parry should have ejected Alonso from this game. He didn't, but it's a good bet that the NFL will suspend him in the coming days.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh please. Flacco slid. Alonso purposefully went low and threw an elbow into his head at full speed. Y'all would lose your minds if someone did that to Goff. It was a dirty as freak hit. It was dirtier than LMJ's hit on Bridgewater a couple years ago.

Joyner's hit wasn't dirty. And he slid too late for Alonso to not hit him. Sucked in to him. He'll be sliding a yard earlier next time.