Time to stop blaming others.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
3 for 15. 8 for 119. 'Nuff said. And at least half of the 8 were phantom that had a direct impact in the game. The Dez Bryant touchdown doesn't happen, and Romo is sacked, if Langford isn't mauled and tackled on his way too him. I don't care what you said, the refs had a direct impact in Dallas coming back in that game. It was one of the most unevenly called games I've ever seen.

V3

Hall of Fame
When this team stops doing the things that bad teams do like bad snaps, dropping easy passes, blatant legit fouls, horrible tackling, etc, then I'll start blaming the refs. The Rams have to fix their crap first before blaming refs really even really matters. The Rams could have all the calls from the refs go their way and they still wouldn't win the Super Bowl playing the way they do. I'm not sure they'd even make the playoffs.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
Taking the Win/Loss result of it. People spend a lot of money to attend these games or have them as part of their packages. If the calls are seemingly made up or ignorant of reality on a far too regular basis, and also seemingly going only one way, then there is going to be a large amount of discontent that goes well beyond the playing field. That doesn't let the team off the hook, because I think there is a great deal of scrutiny going on there, as well, but it's a facet of the game that is going to be explored by those that have passionately supported a franchise that over the last decade has given them very few W's.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Early in the MN game, we were starting to put a few drives together, and the penalty calls pushed us out of scoring range. The tampa game wouldn't have even been close if not for the penalties against us. And the cowboys game would have been a blowout without all those penalties against us.

You can hide your head in the sand all you want, but I see it like it is.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
When this team stops doing the things that bad teams do like bad snaps, dropping easy passes, blatant legit fouls, horrible tackling, etc, then I'll start blaming the refs. The Rams have to fix their crap first before blaming refs really even really matters. The Rams could have all the calls from the refs go their way and they still wouldn't win the Super Bowl playing the way they do. I'm not sure they'd even make the playoffs.

The problem is that every team makes mistakes during a game - winning ones included. They also make plays to overcome those mistakes - unless the officials take those plays away either with a flag or a swallowed whistle.

If the officials don't swallow their whistle on the long TD from Romo to Dez, that play never happens. Langford MADE a play and was applying pressure right up the middle. Without an obvious and egregious hold by the Dallas OL, Langford either gets a sack or at least interferes with the throw. And if the official throws the flag like he should have, Dallas is backed up 10 yards and has 7 points taken off the board.

Later, Sims got a clean sack of Romo that would have put them in 3rd and long deep in their own territory, giving us a chance of getting the ball back with more time. Again, someone from the Rams DID make a play - and then the officials decided to take the play away with one of the most ridiculous defensive holding calls in the history of football.

You have a roughing the passer call that extended a drive that resulted in an eventual score by the Cowboys where we would have otherwise gotten the ball back as well. The Rams defense MADE a play and stopped the Cowboys ... only to have the play overruled again, to the Cowboys advantage.

Did the Rams make mistakes in the game? Sure. But they also played good enough and made enough plays to overcome those mistakes and win a fairly and evenly officiated game. Unfortunately, that's not what they got. They shouldn't have to also be required to overcome excessively biased officiating too.

No team can be perfect on every single play of the game. The Cowboys certainly weren't either, with a fumble and a pick six. But I guess you'll give them credit for overcoming those mistakes, never mind the fact that they had a lot of help from the men in stripes.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
TBH I'm quite sick of seeing posts blaming the refs for our woes. Im sorry if this seems negative but we done plenty to lose that game without the refs being a factor: Wells horrible fumble, Dez picking daisies out in the pasture by himself, Davis' pick six, letting D'Marco Murray run lose like he's the second coming of Walter Payton. Those blunders lead to 21 points by failing.

Yes there was horrible calls/no calls against us just like there was on the other side of the ball .... Jenkins tripping Murray that ended in a fumble? Haven't seen one post complaining about that.... Or any holds we committed that weren't called. Please, stop complaining and creating excuses to fix the problem. If 'OUR' players make excuses instead of taking ownership and 'correcting' the above mentioned issues we will be below a .500 team once again. Time to man the hell up and stop blaming everybody else for your woes, this goes for fans and the team.

Nah, they were fuckin terrible.

At the worst possible times. This has happened, from last year's Chicago's win to this past Sunday. Tired of it.

Then it creates a perception that the team is a not disciplined, when the most penalty yardage are god-awful judgement calls. Something the Rams can't control.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rammer, if we played 162 games I would agree with you.
We play only 16. The refs are changing the outcome of the game on a regular basis.
That is not their job. Their job is to call penalties that are visible, not throw flags and guess that there may have been a foul.

It's gotten way out of hand.
The 9rs should also be 0-3 right now.

Yes. It matters.

fearsomefour

Legend
TBH I'm quite sick of seeing posts blaming the refs for our woes. Im sorry if this seems negative but we done plenty to lose that game without the refs being a factor: Wells horrible fumble, Dez picking daisies out in the pasture by himself, Davis' pick six, letting D'Marco Murray run lose like he's the second coming of Walter Payton. Those blunders lead to 21 points by failing.

Yes there was horrible calls/no calls against us just like there was on the other side of the ball .... Jenkins tripping Murray that ended in a fumble? Haven't seen one post complaining about that.... Or any holds we committed that weren't called. Please, stop complaining and creating excuses to fix the problem. If 'OUR' players make excuses instead of taking ownership and 'correcting' the above mentioned issues we will be below a .500 team once again. Time to man the hell up and stop blaming everybody else for your woes, this goes for fans and the team.
Could not agree more.
So tiresome. Not to mention Fishers choice to got for it and not kick a FG (fair enough choice, a team should be able to get a couple of inches) and Cook displaying his fantastic receiving skills.....that is 7 more off the board.
There is a common ground that officiating has been bad this season. Watched a lot of games this year and I dont think the Rams have been hit any harder than anyone else. Does this make garbage officiating ok? No.
It is absurd to watch a game with so many mistakes and many legit flags and hear fans excuse a loss because of the zebras.
It is delusional to think the refs have something against this team.
The team just is not consistent enough to win a lot of games yet.

iced

Problem is you can't ignore the impact those calls had, in particular that bs Holding on Eugene Sims - it would have been 3rd and 21 on their 9 with around 2 and half minuts left in the game...at the very least that's position with them punting from their end zone.

I don't think I've ever seen a pass rusher called for defensive holding after sacking the qb - the most utterly ridiculous thing I've seen in football.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take? Bad calls get made in every game. As Rams fans, we concentrate solely on the ones that go against our team.

But I saw a few very bad calls last night. I'm sure Jets and Bears fans are mumbling too.

The bigger issue to me is... have the Rams developed a reputation as a "bad boy" team?
Burwell put an article up there today, I believe. I don't know how to post an article, but if someone could, I'd apopreciate it.

Interesting concept.

Jeff Fisher's teams, going back to Tennessee were known as brawlers. Heck, his players injured a few Rams during a srimmage the year after we beat them in the super bowl.

If it's been set in the refs minds that the Rams are "bad boys", not much you can do about that other than, as Burwell says, overcome that by really good play.
Or, be very cautious (not gonna happen with Jeff Fisher and Greggg Williams) .

fearsomefour

Legend
Rammer, if we played 162 games I would agree with you.
We play only 16. The refs are changing the outcome of the game on a regular basis.
That is not their job. Their job is to call penalties that are visible, not throw flags and guess that there may have been a foul.

It's gotten way out of hand.
The 9rs should also be 0-3 right now.

Yes. It matters.
Or still 1-2. They got royally jobbed by the refs in Arizona last Sunday. Two flags that kept a scoring drive alive.
Every team probably has the same complaint.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Could not agree more.
So tiresome. Not to mention Fishers choice to got for it and not kick a FG (fair enough choice, a team should be able to get a couple of inches) and Cook displaying his fantastic receiving skills.....that is 7 more off the board.
There is a common ground that officiating has been bad this season. Watched a lot of games this year and I dont think the Rams have been hit any harder than anyone else. Does this make garbage officiating ok? No.
It is absurd to watch a game with so many mistakes and many legit flags and hear fans excuse a loss because of the zebras.
It is delusional to think the refs have something against this team.
The team just is not consistent enough to win a lot of games yet.

As if Dallas didn't play poorly at times as well? Romo threw a pick 6, but they somehow deserve to win the game? It's delusional to think the refs don't screw us on a weekly basis.

V3

Hall of Fame
The problem is that every team makes mistakes during a game - winning ones included. They also make plays to overcome those mistakes - unless the officials take those plays away either with a flag or a swallowed whistle.

If the officials don't swallow their whistle on the long TD from Romo to Dez, that play never happens. Langford MADE a play and was applying pressure right up the middle. Without an obvious and egregious hold by the Dallas OL, Langford either gets a sack or at least interferes with the throw. And if the official throws the flag like he should have, Dallas is backed up 10 yards and has 7 points taken off the board.

Later, Sims got a clean sack of Romo that would have put them in 3rd and long deep in their own territory, giving us a chance of getting the ball back with more time. Again, someone from the Rams DID make a play - and then the officials decided to take the play away with one of the most ridiculous defensive holding calls in the history of football.

You have a roughing the passer call that extended a drive that resulted in an eventual score by the Cowboys where we would have otherwise gotten the ball back as well. The Rams defense MADE a play and stopped the Cowboys ... only to have the play overruled again, to the Cowboys advantage.

Did the Rams make mistakes in the game? Sure. But they also played good enough and made enough plays to overcome those mistakes and win a fairly and evenly officiated game. Unfortunately, that's not what they got. They shouldn't have to also be required to overcome excessively biased officiating too.

No team can be perfect on every single play of the game. The Cowboys certainly weren't either, with a fumble and a pick six. But I guess you'll give them credit for overcoming those mistakes, never mind the fact that they had a lot of help from the men in stripes.

Every team does make mistakes but most of the good ones don't continually make BIG ones like the Rams continue to do. Also, like you said, the Rams don't make the plays to overcome those mistakes like the good team so it goes back to the Rams and their play. That's why I'm going to continue to blame the loss on the Rams. Yes, the officiating was bad but good teams can and do overcome bad refs. If the Rams were playing like a good team, I might be persuaded. I don't think they are. That's just me, though.

fearsomefour

Legend
Early in the MN game, we were starting to put a few drives together, and the penalty calls pushed us out of scoring range. The tampa game wouldn't have even been close if not for the penalties against us. And the cowboys game would have been a blowout without all those penalties against us.

You can hide your head in the sand all you want, but I see it like it is.
There was one flag in the Minnesota game I thought was bad, thats it.

fearsomefour

Legend
As if Dallas didn't play poorly at times as well? Romo threw a pick 6, but they somehow deserve to win the game? It's delusional to think the refs don't screw us on a weekly basis.
What I mean by delusional is what would the possible point be?
The NFL to conspire to throw games....games involving teams that are not going to be Championship teams by the way...and risk their fan base, huge TV contracts, advertising and everyone involved risking their jobs/persecution?....It makes no sense.
For a conspiracy to exist you need a couple of people, to keep it covered up it takes a lot more than that. Have things been called evenly? No.
Does indicate some conspiracy to screw over a team that doesnt matter in the big picture anyway? No.
No one has ever given a good, reasonable reason the league would bother with such a thing, one involving the Rams no less.
That is what I mean by delusional.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Every team does make mistakes but most of the good ones don't continually make BIG ones like the Rams continue to do. Also, like you said, the Rams don't make the plays to overcome those mistakes like the good team so it goes back to the Rams and their play. That's why I'm going to continue to blame the loss on the Rams. Yes, the officiating was bad but good teams can and do overcome bad refs. If the Rams were playing like a good team, I might be persuaded. I don't think they are. That's just me, though.

That's absolutely NOT what I said. I said, and I will repeat in all caps, THE RAMS DID ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THEIR MISTAKES AGAINST THE COWBOYS. In fact, I gave three specific examples of plays they made that, if the officials had made the correct calls, would have been game changing plays in the Rams favor.

Again, the Rams played well enough to win. They played well enough to overcome their own mistakes. But they couldn't overcome officials mistakes at critical junctures in the game where they had otherwise done what they needed to in order to make a positive play.

I guess you just don't see a problem with that and are perfectly fine with us being screwed by the officials when otherwise the team plays good enough to win.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

That is simply not true. Maybe it was earlier in 2012 and 2013, but most of the big flags these days are from horrible judgement calls. The only legit call was the PI on Janoris, which was obvious. And yes, they should've called his tripping too.

Sure, they'll get their false starts and holdings and whatnot. I don't get bothered so much by that.

I think you're underestimating the emotional blow it takes on a team from calls like the Eugene Sims hold. You guys say, "oh good teams overcome them, no excuses, blah blah blah" like it's some easy thing. It's not. Having a 3rd and 20 something, pinned deep in their own goal line, all of a sudden is a fresh set of downs. That is beyond demoralizing. Especially when everyone from coaches to the fat asses on the couch knows it was a shit call.

Bottom line is this, judgement calls have far too often have come at the worst possible time for the Rams lately. Tired of it, and yes I'm taking the stance to blame the refs. They need to fuckin call it fair.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Or still 1-2. They got royally jobbed by the refs in Arizona last Sunday. Two flags that kept a scoring drive alive.
Every team probably has the same complaint.

The non calls aren't nearly as bad as the forced calls.
There should never be a penalty flag on a play with no penalty. Yet there are. Often.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Awesome most! A "like" simply wasn't enough.

V3

Hall of Fame
That is simply not true. Maybe it was earlier in 2012 and 2013, but most of the big flags these days are from horrible judgement calls. The only legit call was the PI on Janoris, which was obvious. And yes, they should've called his tripping too.

Sure, they'll get their false starts and holdings and whatnot. I don't get bothered so much by that.

I think you're underestimating the emotional blow it takes on a team from calls like the Eugene Sims hold. You guys say, "oh good teams overcome them, no excuses, blah blah blah" like it's some easy thing. It's not. Having a 3rd and 20 something, pinned deep in their own goal line, all of a sudden is a fresh set of downs. That is beyond demoralizing. Especially when everyone from coaches to the fat asses on the couch knows it was a crap call.

Bottom line is this, judgement calls have far too often have come at the worst possible time for the Rams lately. Tired of it, and yes I'm taking the stance to blame the refs. They need to freakin call it fair.
We might be talking about different things here when I was referring to teams making mistakes. It seems like you're thinking I was talking about penalties. I'm talking about any kind of mistakes like bad snaps, dropped passes, missed tackles, and even penalties. When a team continues to make lots of mistakes(any kind), it doesn't matter what the refs do. If all the calls from here on out go the Rams' way, they still aren't going to win the Super Bowl because they're still a mediocre at best football team, which gets back to my initial point, the Rams need to fix THEIR crap first before anything else because that's the biggest thing that matters.